Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Any predictions for Fargo tonight - most sites seem to list it as the highlight of the Easter schedules and despite some of us here thinking we know better C4 have shown they can compete at 9pm on Sundays with drama, with Endeavour and Crimson Field not exactly the toughest dramas to compete against. Surely they're aiming for over 2m.

Hopefully it will launch with around 2 million.
    I remember when The Mill launched with near 3 million, people were shocked on here... and it held up very well over its run. and Homeland is a decent performer too in that slot.

So it should open well at least. Its getting rave reviews so I'll definitly be tuning in
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Crimson Field will be down tonight to around 5.1m, and Endeavour will rise to 5.3m up 200k on last week. Final episode of dramas usually get a boost.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure that the Channel 5 rerun of the Christmas 'Sound of Music Live' broadcast from the USA will do as well as there.

(Though I guess if it did Channel 5 would have to get about 1000% of the possible audience)

It is good to watch and a lot of the cast are good, but the choice of Marie is a bit dull and compares very poorly with Connie Fisher in the UK stage version.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surly American Dad repeat will do better for BBC3 at that time.

Indeed, it may well have got to the stage where American Dad repeats do better than Eastenders now. They've completely ruined the scheduling of BBC3 Eastenders and lost even more viewers from it in the last couple of months. A sign of the times when last week going over 500k was celebrated as its highest rating in 6 weeks.

Sorry for going on about it, but the issue really annoys me.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we know from the stats posted recently that ITV3 is down year on year when it comes to viewing shares. There's been a theory that the new Drama channel on Freeview has been eating away at ITV3's market share. I think the main reason that ITV3 is down is not only because of the Drama channel, but also because a lot of the shows that they've been showing have now been repeated numerous times. Here are my suggestions to improve the channel:

- Move the Coronation Street and Emmerdale next day repeat from ITV2 to ITV3 and air it nightly similar to the BBC3 repeat for EastEnders. Give it a fixed 10.30 - midnight slot each day. Axe the omnibus editions completely. Maybe even show Emmerdale as a first look in the 10.30pm slot each night, matching what Channel 4/E4 does with Hollyoaks.

- Start showing classic episodes of Coronation Street and Emmerdale from ten years ago daily in 10-11am slot. In addition, show classic episodes of the Bill (The 30 minute episodes) in the afternoons around 3pm.

- Repeat Midsomer Murders from the beginning in the early evening slot but split each 2 hour episode into 1 hour blocks so the episodes run for longer. Heartbeat needs a rest from the schedule as it's been in that early evening slot for ages now and has probably been repeated on loop numerous times.

- Keep the crime shows such as Lewis, Vera, Endeavour but start digging deeper and look for other past ITV drama hits to show from a different genre. For example, start repeating London's Burning, Peak Practice and Bad Girls in peak time slots.

- Invest in a few more subtitled dramas, similar to what BBC 4 has been doing. This will compliment the repeats very well on the channel.

What do you guys reckon?

Although I agree in theory the soap repeatrs fit ITV3 better than ITV2 I don't think ITV3 can afford to give them a nightly 10.30/11pm slot - they've got better things to schedule there which will pull in more viewers and can get away with beginning a two hour drama at 10pm rather than packing off viewers for the night by switching to soap repeats. If anything airing them between 6-7pm would be the better option.

Although not unsurprisinging thanks to on-demand and more quick turn around repeats that omnibuses aren't as important as they once were considering the trend for binge boxset viewing I'd say there is probably still an audience for them - indeed arguably premiering the episodes omnibus style might be the way to go.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,698
    Forum Member
    Not sure that the Channel 5 rerun of the Christmas 'Sound of Music Live' broadcast from the USA will do as well as there.

(Though I guess if it did Channel 5 would have to get about 1000% of the possible audience)

It is good to watch and a lot of the cast are good, but the choice of Marie is a bit dull and compares very poorly with Connie Fisher in the UK stage version.
    So bad it's bad. I couldn't watch.

Now I can see why Five didn't even bother promoting this. A trailer would have flagged it up as one to avoid straight away.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps don't repeat well which is probably why we rarely see them broadcast outside of. Anniversaries. I think ITV3 have it right with its mix of current repeats and older shows. I think maybe adding new imports, not necessarily subtitled drama but something like Rectify which airs on Sundance in the US or an Australian drama series like I imagine its unlikely but it would be good to see original programming that isn't documentaries about dramas.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Soaps don't repeat well which is probably why we rarely see them broadcast outside of. Anniversaries. I think ITV3 have it right with its mix of current repeats and older shows. I think maybe adding new imports, not necessarily subtitled drama but something like Rectify which airs on Sundance in the US or an Australian drama series like I imagine its unlikely but it would be good to see original programming that isn't documentaries about dramas.

I think that itv should look for more classic drama from the 60s. I can remember not being able to sleep at times and turning on Central and watching The Avengers, The Saint, Man in a Suitcase - those type of dramas perhaps every night at 6pm and go back to the soap archives for Emmerdale and Corrie in the mornings. There must be quite a bit of 80s American shows that can be on as well - Scarecrow and Mrs King, Matlock, even LA Law. There is so much that itv can do with the channel.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we know from the stats posted recently that ITV3 is down year on year when it comes to viewing shares. There's been a theory that the new Drama channel on Freeview has been eating away at ITV3's market share. I think the main reason that ITV3 is down is not only because of the Drama channel, but also because a lot of the shows that they've been showing have now been repeated numerous times. Here are my suggestions to improve the channel:

- Move the Coronation Street and Emmerdale next day repeat from ITV2 to ITV3 and air it nightly similar to the BBC3 repeat for EastEnders. Give it a fixed 10.30 - midnight slot each day. Axe the omnibus editions completely. Maybe even show Emmerdale as a first look in the 10.30pm slot each night, matching what Channel 4/E4 does with Hollyoaks.

- Start showing classic episodes of Coronation Street and Emmerdale from ten years ago daily in 10-11am slot. In addition, show classic episodes of the Bill (The 30 minute episodes) in the afternoons around 3pm.

- Repeat Midsomer Murders from the beginning in the early evening slot but split each 2 hour episode into 1 hour blocks so the episodes run for longer. Heartbeat needs a rest from the schedule as it's been in that early evening slot for ages now and has probably been repeated on loop numerous times.

- Keep the crime shows such as Lewis, Vera, Endeavour but start digging deeper and look for other past ITV drama hits to show from a different genre. For example, start repeating London's Burning, Peak Practice and Bad Girls in peak time slots.

- Invest in a few more subtitled dramas, similar to what BBC 4 has been doing. This will compliment the repeats very well on the channel.

What do you guys reckon?
    Broadly agree, soap omnibuses aren't needed now and are so little watched they're shown on minor channels now. However, blocks of soap repeats rarely work as people will have forgotten the characters, but I would definitely say repeat The Bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Broadly agree, soap omnibuses aren't needed now and are so little watched they're shown on minor channels now. However, blocks of soap repeats rarely work as people will have forgotten the characters, but I would definitely say repeat The Bill.
    Drama has that covered already.

Presumably The Bill is repeating well as it remains a key part of the schedule- if anything the slots have become more friendly with the late night showing now at about 2320 most nights (used to be later IIRC).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Drama has that covered already.

Presumably The Bill is repeating well as it remains a key part of the schedule- if anything the slots have become more friendly with the late night showing now at about 2320 most nights (used to be later IIRC).

The Bill would work better than Corrie as, except for big episodes, no one would reallt remember what the characters did in between ten years ago and some of them will be forgotten now. However, except on grounds of cheapness, omnibuses have had their day now and get penny numbers of viewers.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a day in which the headlines point towards a 2 million week-on-week drop, a slightly questionable assessment there.

Fine, it's holding up well from one series to the next unlike TXF. But BGT has a lot in its favour. Not least the fact that nobody ever puts anything of substance on against it, or indeed on the same night even. It might be ageing but it still stands out in a schedule taken up by as much filler, repeats and other dross as we had to suffer last night.

With the arrival of The Voice, BGT had more competition in 2012/2013 than XF, Strictly or IAC have had in years. The reason it now has no competition is because it comprehensively dealt with The Voice and the BBC moved it away.

If anything, BGT will miss The Voice. It always helps when there's something else bringing people to the TV set for the night and both shows seemed to feed off the competition when they weren't head to head.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    With the arrival of The Voice, BGT had more competition in 2012/2013 than XF, Strictly or IAC have had in years. The reason it now has no competition is because it comprehensively dealt with The Voice and the BBC moved it away.

If anything, BGT will miss The Voice. It always helps when there's something else bringing people to the TV set for the night and both shows seemed to feed off the competition when they weren't head to head.
    C14E, given what's happened to BGT yesterday, how do you think XFactor should be scheduled this Autumn? There have been calls in the past for Itv to move it forward to 7pm and just go for it head to head vs. SCD. Is this something you think should happen or do you think they ought to stick with the 8-10pm slot they had last year [clashing against the tail-end of SCD] and effectively closing up against SCD pre-8pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »

You appear to have seriously misunderstood me. I was talking about substantial competition. No idea what The Voice has to do with anything.

These shows can help eachother out to an extent but it does get exaggerated on here. The bits I've seen of BGT make it look a bit tired. Can't believe for a moment that viewing figures would remain fully in tact if it was properly tested.

Still I don't begrudge its success too much because at least it's not intrinsically nasty like X Factor. But it does get talked up something chronic on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the two Cowell shows, I think BGT is the one most likely to last to the end of the decade as for all its Subo moment has passed, it is capable of 11 million viewers on a good night and has a broader appeal than TXF. Remember Op Knocks ran for 17 series on ITV and a further 4 on BBC One and this is its spiritual successor.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If Corrie was repeated starting from say 1990 or 1995, you'd get a large number of characters that are either still in it, or were a major mainstay for decades and are still remembered

You'd have Ken, Deirdre, Emily, Audrey, Alf, Sally & Kevin, Gail & Martin, Mike Baldwin, Jack & Vera, Rita, Liz & Jim, Steve, Alma, Curly, Maureen, Reg, Mavis, Derek, you'd start to see Ashley, Fred, Norris, Roy etc just to name a few off the top of my head.

A full blown Corrie omnibus was rarely on the main ITV anyway in the last 50 years, rather than being relegated to ITV2, it was more that it was promoted to ITV1 for a few years and then sent back.

Granada and the regions owned by them used to like a Corrie repeat for obvious reasons, but even then it tended to be individual episodes repeated the next day. The likes of Central preferred stuff like Shortland Street. I don't think there was ever a networked omnibus in a fixed slot until the last the mid 00s

EastEnders has, as far as I'm aware always had a repeat, generally on BBC1 on a Sunday until recently, ever since it started?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of the two Cowell shows, I think BGT is the one most likely to last to the end of the decade as for all its Subo moment has passed, it is capable of 11 million viewers on a good night and has a broader appeal than TXF. Remember Op Knocks ran for 17 series on ITV and a further 4 on BBC One and this is its spiritual successor.
    I suppose there's always the faint possibility of another SuBo coming along. That would give it a kick up the arse. It would have to be something truly unique that we haven't seen before though and the general feeling with these shows now is one of going over old ground repeatedly.

BGT has plenty of mileage in it but I'll freely admit like most ITV entertainment shows it bores me to tears now. The production hasn't moved on at all and it's all too samey. But it's safe and inoffensive and that will do for most families on a Saturday evening when there's sod all else on.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New series of Perspectives tonight at 10pm, starting with Alan Davies: The Magic of Houdini

Anyone going to be watching?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    C14E, given what's happened to BGT yesterday, how do you think XFactor should be scheduled this Autumn? There have been calls in the past for Itv to move it forward to 7pm and just go for it head to head vs. SCD. Is this something you think should happen or do you think they ought to stick with the 8-10pm slot they had last year [clashing against the tail-end of SCD] and effectively closing up against SCD pre-8pm.

The auditions ought to be about 7.45pm/8pm-9pm because it will still be light in the evenings. Probably 7.30pm-9pm for bootcamp and judges houses. Then see how it's going, see how Strictly is scheduled and how it performs without golden oldie talisman Bruce. In an ideal world come November it would be running about 7.30pm-9.30pm. But that seems like the one slot it almost certainly won't run in.

Also, I think the best lead-in itv have to offer at the moment is probably film repeats (Harry Potter 6pm-8pm). A huge part of the problem is that there's just nothing to get the night started and hold up against Strictly. Take Me Out was a better choice than The Chase in the sense that it brought in a more appropriate X Factor audience (16-34's).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You appear to have seriously misunderstood me. I was talking about substantial competition. No idea what The Voice has to do with anything.

These shows can help eachother out to an extent but it does get exaggerated on here. The bits I've seen of BGT make it look a bit tired. Can't believe for a moment that viewing figures would remain fully in tact if it was properly tested.

Still I don't begrudge its success too much because at least it's not intrinsically nasty like X Factor. But it does get talked up something chronic on here.

While I'm not it's biggest fan, The Voice was substantial competition, particularly in 2012. Shows can only beat what is put in front of them. Short of moving Strictly to spring, I'm not entirely sure what you envision by substantial competition. There's nothing else pulling in figures above 6m, which is what makes it so remarkable that the big franchises continue to deliver 8m when nothing else can even if there isn't anything on.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    New series of Perspectives tonight at 10pm, starting with Alan Davies: The Magic of Houdini

Yes I will be watching after Crimson Field.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member

It'll probably only getting 1million viewers, well below the slot average. Like The Olivier Awards last week, the mainstream audience will repel a show like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think The Crimson Field will be down tonight to around 5.1m, and Endeavour will rise to 5.3m up 200k on last week. Final episode of dramas usually get a boost.

I think they both will be down tbh although I hope not a lot - they are both good.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    If Corrie was repeated starting from say 1990 or 1995, you'd get a large number of characters that are either still in it, or were a major mainstay for decades and are still remembered

You'd have Ken, Deirdre, Emily, Audrey, Alf, Sally & Kevin, Gail & Martin, Mike Baldwin, Jack & Vera, Rita, Liz & Jim, Steve, Alma, Curly, Maureen, Reg, Mavis, Derek, you'd start to see Ashley, Fred, Norris, Roy etc just to name a few off the top of my head.

A full blown Corrie omnibus was rarely on the main ITV anyway in the last 50 years, rather than being relegated to ITV2, it was more that it was promoted to ITV1 for a few years and then sent back.

Granada and the regions owned by them used to like a Corrie repeat for obvious reasons, but even then it tended to be individual episodes repeated the next day. The likes of Central preferred stuff like Shortland Street. I don't think there was ever a networked omnibus in a fixed slot until the last the mid 00s

EastEnders has, as far as I'm aware always had a repeat, generally on BBC1 on a Sunday until recently, ever since it started?
    It has. I think it started in 86 or at least the end of 85.

It did move to BBC2 for a short time last year and was shifted at times in the past for sporting events and what not.

But not it's back on BBC1 and in the Friday night slot.

BTW any rating for EastEnders Omnibus on Friday please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It'll probably only getting 1million viewers, well below the slot average. Like The Olivier Awards last week, the mainstream audience will repel a show like this.

I am glad then that I am not part of the mainstream audience. I shall also catch up with Fargo at some point.
This discussion has been closed.