Options

Sharing finally coming?

DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
Forum Member
✭✭
I dont know if anyone has watched the demo video on channel 998 and the section that shows a password being put in for wifi, well clearly in that part of the video there is a tab next to the Network tab called Sharing which is clearly not in the R8 software (that I still have) and is unlikely to be in the R9 as its not something that is supposed to be added with that release.
Anyway I have been informed that that is for planner sharing!
I think this should be checked out before Easter is over as Sky might change the video if they realised they have released something too early!
I cant see them doing anything about it before Tuesday though.

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on the horizon at the moment. They're aware of the video though so do expect it to be changed :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on the horizon at the moment. They're aware of the video though so do expect it to be changed :).

I know Ive herd that those insiders that did have planner sharing had it taken off their boxes, so who knows whats going to happen with it!
    What I do know is that planner sharing is part of the software and has been since about R6 last year, its just Sky havent bothered to do anything with it!
    With this in the video though its clear its there, what I dont get is why Sky spent time and money developing it and havent used it! (yet!)
    I hope they one day see sense and use it!

What I hope to happen with getting this out there, is that people see this and Sky sees that they have let something slip and rethink about using what they spent many months developing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With it being dropped from testing, a product launching is highly unlikely, even if it's gone through a lot of development. Sometimes things don't work out.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who said it's been dropped from testing?
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I know Ive herd that those insiders that did have planner sharing had it taken off their boxes, so who knows whats going to happen with it!
    What I do know is that planner sharing is part of the software and has been since about R6 last year, its just Sky havent bothered to do anything with it!
    With this in the video though its clear its there, what I dont get is why Sky spent time and money developing it and havent used it! (yet!)
    I hope they one day see sense and use it!

What I hope to happen with getting this out there, is that people see this and Sky sees that they have let something slip and rethink about using what they spent many months developing!

How do you know they haven't bothered?

Maybe it needs more work, maybe they need more rights (so it doesn't launch like VM's which was a disappointment).
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if anyone has watched the demo video on channel 998 and the section that shows a password being put in for wifi, well clearly in that part of the video there is a tab next to the Network tab called Sharing which is clearly not in the R8 software (that I still have) and is unlikely to be in the R9 as its not something that is supposed to be added with that release.
    Anyway I have been informed that that is for planner sharing!
    I think this should be checked out before Easter is over as Sky might change the video if they realised they have released something too early!
    I cant see them doing anything about it before Tuesday though.

It could be coming in the next two weeks according to my brother's wife's cousin who knows all about things technical.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    It could be coming in the next two weeks according to my brother's wife's cousin who knows all about things technical.

I think he was refering to them removing the video of Sky Intro, not them launching Sharing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I think he was refering to them removing the video of Sky Intro, not them launching Sharing.

Yes you are right I was talking about the video there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know they haven't bothered?

Maybe it needs more work, maybe they need more rights (so it doesn't launch like VM's which was a disappointment).

From what I know, nothing has been done with it for a while, its just been sitting on certain people's boxes (testers and insiders like Sky employees ect apparently) for a while and under the hood but not active in the rest of our boxes from R6 update last year!
    I would say its likely still there (just hidden away), as people like testers have had R9 a lot longer than we have!
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would planner sharing in some way reduce the sales potential of multiroom subs? Perhaps Sky are having second thoughts if they think it might?

I know that multiroom can be to watch two things at once in two separate rooms but how often could recording one and streaming it to a second box be used as an alternative to having a multiroom sub?

Or have Sky factored this in by only offering full all channel planner sharing if you pay a multiroom sub to cover the option?
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would planner sharing in some way reduce the sales potential of multiroom subs? Perhaps Sky are having second thoughts if they think it might?

I know that multiroom can be to watch two things at once in two separate rooms but how often could recording one and streaming it to a second box be used as an alternative to having a multiroom sub?

Or have Sky factored this in by only offering full all channel planner sharing if you pay a multiroom sub to cover the option?

You can only share between other boxes on your sky subscription, so multiscreen is required.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be great if you could use the Sky+ or Sky Go app to stream something you have recorded to your Planner to your device. Probably the only thing I think that lets Sky Go down at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    It would be great if you could use the Sky+ or Sky Go app to stream something you have recorded to your Planner to your device. Probably the only thing I think that lets Sky Go down at the moment.

Thats a good idea!
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I doubt planner sharing will come this year.

Sky normally preview things about 12/18months before they arrive on boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I doubt planner sharing will come this year.

Sky normally preview things about 12/18months before they arrive on boxes.

In what respect? You weren't given that long a preview of R009...

Just expect it to never turn up then you won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

each box would have to have a viewing card able to decode the shared program and thus multi screen would be needed
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what respect? You weren't given that long a preview of R009...

Just expect it to never turn up then you won't be disappointed.

planner sharing would be a great bonus to multiscreen not only doubling your recording capacity but being about to start watching something recorded on you living room tv and finish watching it on another tv would be great.

I hope it is released soon might make me keep my multiroom sub when it runs out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will all be having a very big surprise in the next two weeks.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bank holiday Monday!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bank holiday Monday!!

LOL I dont think he means that though!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL I dont think he means that though!:D

I meant to say within the next two weeks not two weeks to the day. It could be tomorrow or next week but a surprise will be coming.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant to say within the next two weeks not two weeks to the day. It could be tomorrow or next week but a surprise will be coming.:)

Not planner sharing though, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was speaking to a Sky engineer about this, and he said he loved it. I asked if it could be switched off as I wouldn't want to use it and he said no. Is that true? I don't want to share my planner on one box with another one.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*gets excited*
    I was speaking to a Sky engineer about this, and he said he loved it. I asked if it could be switched off as I wouldn't want to use it and he said no. Is that true? I don't want to share my planner on one box with another one.

Well you wouldn't have to use it! it wouldn't effect anything with your existing planner! it will probably appear like the different categories do in the planner as it is.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It doesn't mean you'd want your planner shared/viewed by who uses the other box in the house.