Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I am glad then that I am not part of the mainstream audience. I shall also catch up with Fargo at some point.
    Well Fargo will do well but could quite conceivably be only third highest rated C4 show of the day. I fancy both Hop and For the Love of Cars to go better.

Quite an interesting night away from the "as you were" big two.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I am glad then that I am not part of the mainstream audience. I shall also catch up with Fargo at some point.
    Fargo will underperform too. 10million drama viewers watching on BBC one and Itv, it's going to be squeezed out. Looks quite niche to me.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So on this Easter Sunday, Samuel has spent all day gloating over ITV's lower ratings just to make himself feel happy. How sad.

I like ratings, but to spend all day gloating is...well frankly....just stupid..

Yes you can usually tell what the ratings were by how many time Samuel posts in one day, like a ratings thread sun dial.

Last week he hardly posted, today he's posted about 50 times.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It'll probably only getting 1million viewers, well below the slot average. Like The Olivier Awards last week, the mainstream audience will repel a show like this.

I don't care, ratings are not important all the time. I will watch it and enjoy it, and ultimately ITV are giving more variety than your precious BBC who are giving viewers the news to look forward to.

It also improves ITV's image as a broadcaster.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC were producing this it would be 'an enchanting and valuable piece of documentary which is fully worth the licence fee'

ITV do it and it's a horrible anti-mainstream ratings bomb

ITV's coverage incidentally of Olivier Awards was fairly disappointing, too much cut out. Would like to have seen this on Sky Arts getting a full airing or perhaps ITV3 (if ITV have long term rights)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they both will be down tbh although I hope not a lot - they are both good.

I also hope both are over 5million. I am finding The Crimson Field even more enjoyable than Call The Midwife now.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These EE bumpers are becoming tiresome already
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Don't say that, according to BBC press office they're being shown every day until February 2015. :D
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Of the two Cowell shows, I think BGT is the one most likely to last to the end of the decade as for all its Subo moment has passed, it is capable of 11 million viewers on a good night and has a broader appeal than TXF. Remember Op Knocks ran for 17 series on ITV and a further 4 on BBC One and this is its spiritual successor.
    That would take it through to 2027 then - and if history repeats itself SamuelW might like it from 2024. I think this is the first of the new 3-year contract so that will see it make 10 series, though I think it'll last at least the length of the Royal Variety contract which was for a decade when signed a couple of years ago.

Can't see The X Factor lasting as long - I guess this year will give us a benchmark on that. And unless the BBC do something incredibly stupid and get Nick Knowles to present this series Strictly won't be going anywhere soon either - and I suspect even if it got to a point where the main series was axed it would still get an outing at Christmas and for Children in Need.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Don't watch them then. I see loads of trailers and Bumpers for shows I don't like but I just get on with it.
    Don't say that, according to BBC press office they're being shown every day until February 2015. :D
    Great stuff. However there will be more trailers over the course of the months. 1 in the summer and 1 at Christmas for starters because there is big twists to the story so I expect a nice glossy trailer then.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    You appear to have seriously misunderstood me. I was talking about substantial competition. No idea what The Voice has to do with anything.

These shows can help eachother out to an extent but it does get exaggerated on here. The bits I've seen of BGT make it look a bit tired. Can't believe for a moment that viewing figures would remain fully in tact if it was properly tested.

Still I don't begrudge its success too much because at least it's not intrinsically nasty like X Factor. But it does get talked up something chronic on here.

I read this a lot but it makes me think about why Britain's Got Talent isn't seen as intrinsically nasty but The X Factor is. Britain's Got Talent has all the elements to be far nastier than The X Factor can ever be with a larger quota of joke acts to be patronised, the audience sometimes resembling a baying mob and - of course - the buzzers. In comparison, joke acts are kept to a minimum with The X Factor (one, maybe two at maximum, make it to the lives), the audience are asked to be supportive of the acts no matter their 'quality' and they cannot be buzzed off mid-act. Indeed, the first couple of series (especially) of Britain's Got Talent had some horrible moments during the audition and, to a lesser extent, live show stages.

They need to look at how they managed to turn the image of Britain's Got Talent around by doing barely anything at all and try and repeat the act with The X Factor. Easier said than done but not impossible, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »

Great stuff. However there will be more trailers over the course of the months. 1 in the summer and 1 at Christmas for starters because there is big twists to the story so I expect a nice glossy trailer then.

Apparently there is another new trailer airing after tomorrow evenings episode.

I'm still shocked ITV are showing them. :o I never thought I'd see the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is there? :o

I expect a 'continues Tuesday 7:30' trailer. Have you seen it yourself thought?
    Unless I witness it then I am not sure I believe it .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Showing them so often is in danger of annoying viewers, it's not just heavy promotion, it's literally every junction and with announcers promoting it as well.

Before last night's MOTD was particularly jarring. It went along the lines of

"Yes a big storyline is starting in EastEnders, don't miss it on Monday night at 8:00, now though on BBC ONE all today's football action with Gary Lineker"
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there? :o

I expect a 'continues Tuesday 7:30' trailer. Have you seen it yourself thought?
    Unless I witness it then I am not sure I believe it .

I haven't seen it but I have no reason to doubt who told me plus Sharon Marshall did Tweet during last week the trailers were amazing.

Apparently there are 5. So 4 to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Showing them so often is in danger of annoying viewers, it's not just heavy promotion, it's literally every junction and with announcers promoting it as well.

Before last night's MOTD was particularly jarring. It went along the lines of

"Yes a big storyline is starting in EastEnders, don't miss it on Monday night at 8:00, now though on BBC ONE all today's football action with Gary Lineker"
    Great Stuff! Good work BBC :)

Thing is they have 2 days to promote before the aftermath kicks in so I guess they are just getting their monies worth out of the trailers too.

I did like the announcement on Friday though.

''Kicking off a gripping storyline. A Dramatic and emotional episode. BBC1 the home of EastEnders next on BBC1 (Or something along those lines)''
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it but I have no reason to doubt who told me plus Sharon Marshall did Tweet during last week the trailers were amazing.

Apparently there are 5. So 4 to go.
    You should post it and create more buzz on the soap forum :D

I heard there is a number of trailers too but didn't expect the next one to be shown so soon :o

New Bumpers tomorrow from 8:30 then :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Stuff! Good work BBC :)

Thing is they have 2 days to promote before the aftermath kicks in so I guess they are just getting their monies worth out of the trailers too.

I did like the announcement on Friday though.

''Kicking off a gripping storyline. A Dramatic and emotional episode. BBC1 the home of EastEnders next on BBC1 (Or something along those lines)''

Is it on BBC One by any chance? :D
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Maybe they need the money !!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Is it on BBC One by any chance? :D
    Of course
    that is it's home and I'd rather see it axed then go anywhere else :p
    Perhaps :D

I've not seen it and I've had ITV on tonight so I don't believe it until I see it.

I have seen all the posters around London now :D
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talk about milking it.

Fox were showing itv where the entertainers live trailer this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course
    that is it's home and I'd rather see it axed then go anywhere else :p

Perhaps :D

I've not seen it and I've had ITV on tonight so I don't believe it until I see it.

I have seen all the posters around London now :D

I'm sure I spotted a trailer during or after A View To A Kill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I'm sure I spotted a trailer during or after A View To A Kill.
    :o I have no way of seeing that now with adverts :cry:

Perhaps they will say at 8:00pm tomorrow 'Off back down to Weatherfield at 8:30 on ITV but in the meantime take a trip down south to Walford on BBC1' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any channel can buy an advert on another channel. It would be very strange for the BBC to do so though, especially when they can advertise on their own TV and radio stations for free.

This would require licence fee money to be used to pay a commercial broadcaster which wouldn't be very good, so I don't believe it is actually happening.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV have often shown trailers from other channels, from recent memory C5's Big Brother, C4's dramas and I think the Taste and they currently have a deal with Sky to advertise their programme and vice versa. Usually they just say coming soon rather than give specific time and dates and IiRC I don't think they can actually refuse to advertise other channels, there was some bother with BT and Sky that explains it better:
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=can%20a%20channel%20refuse%20to%20advertise%20another%20channels%20programs&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstakeholders.ofcom.org.uk%2Fbinaries%2Fenforcement%2Fbroadcast-bulletins%2F1103007%2Fbt-sport.pdf&ei=9jtUU-uDJ8asOI-0gOgG&usg=AFQjCNHLfqie7aj8CtrRv7ndg_Cg80jhCg&sig2=L3aMPcxtzsn600-5NlZmgQ&bvm=bv.65058239,d.ZWU

Anyway shows how desperate the BBC is to get people watching EastEnders again really.
This discussion has been closed.