Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Any channel can buy an advert on another channel. It would be very strange for the BBC to do so though, especially when they can advertise on their own TV and radio stations for free.

This would require licence fee money to be used to pay a commercial broadcaster which wouldn't be very good, so I don't believe it is actually happening.
    Finally we agree on something :D

EastEnders and Corrie for starters are rivals and BBC1 and ITV are the two biggest channels and most of the time they like to get one over on each other. I don't see them promotion EastEnders in the same way BBC1 won't run a Corrie one
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Any channel can buy an advert on another channel. It would be very strange for the BBC to do so though, especially when they can advertise on their own TV and radio stations for free.

This would require licence fee money to be used to pay a commercial broadcaster which wouldn't be very good, so I don't believe it is actually happening.

I hardly ever see any adverts on ITV thank goodness so I have definately not seen it and also find it a little hard to believe - so who exactly says that this is happening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV have often shown trailers from other channels, from recent memory C5's Big Brother, C4's dramas and I think the Taste and they currently have a deal with Sky to advertise their programme and vice versa. Usually they just say coming soon rather than give specific time and dates and IiRC I don't think they can actually refuse to advertise other channels, there was some bother with BT and Sky that explains it better:
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=can%20a%20channel%20refuse%20to%20advertise%20another%20channels%20programs&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstakeholders.ofcom.org.uk%2Fbinaries%2Fenforcement%2Fbroadcast-bulletins%2F1103007%2Fbt-sport.pdf&ei=9jtUU-uDJ8asOI-0gOgG&usg=AFQjCNHLfqie7aj8CtrRv7ndg_Cg80jhCg&sig2=L3aMPcxtzsn600-5NlZmgQ&bvm=bv.65058239,d.ZWU

Anyway shows how desperate the BBC is to get people watching EastEnders again really.
    In 2012 the BBC took their finger off EastEnders and let it down.
    They admitted that themselves and of course they want to show people that it's out of it's state and hopefully have people tuning in.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    :o I have no way of seeing that now with adverts :cry:

Perhaps they will say at 8:00pm tomorrow 'Off back down to Weatherfield at 8:30 on ITV but in the meantime take a trip down south to Walford on BBC1' :D

'And that is followed by Hell freezing over'. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    'And that is followed by Hell freezing over'. :D
    I always knew Coronation Street was regarded as Hell but freezing over is a little too far
    It's not winter anymore ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are we thinking for The Tommy Cooper program tommorrow. I somehow feel like I dont want to watch it but also feel strangely compelled to do so. Should do well ratings wise though - cant see Jamaica Inn beating it.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I always knew Coronation Street was regarded as Hell but freezing over is a little too far
    It's not winter anymore ;-)

That's funny - a lot of viewers seem to see EastEnders in that way at the moment. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    That's funny - a lot of viewers seem to see EastEnders in that way at the moment. ;)
    Yeah I know....'A HellofALotBetter ' ;-)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    What are we thinking for The Tommy Cooper program tommorrow. I somehow feel like I dont want to watch it but also feel strangely compelled to do so. Should do well ratings wise though - cant see Jamaica Inn beating it.
    It's a non-crime drama, two hours long and is quite a controversial show which has received criticism from Cooper's daughter. It'll definitely rate below 5million viewers. Jamaica Inn will also not rate very well, this has been described as a "dark" and "depressing" drama by the critics. Neither shows are mainstream.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone please tell me when the ratings for " For the love of Cars " will be published ?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The Sun today says research shows viewers are already bored by EE's Who Killed Lucy storyline and are incredulous they will have to wait until February to find the answer. I wonder if this is going to backfire on the BBC in a big way ?
    The Sun sounds rattled. :D

Do you buy it for Page 3?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Ratings Thread Discussion Topics Past 72 Hours

EastEnders: 97%
    SamuelW: 2.5%
    Ratings: 0.5%
    You forgot Britain's Got Golden Buzzers! :D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it will be over 6million, but around 5.5m, compared to 5m for Jamaica Inn. I hope to be surprised but I think there will be people who feel its too depressing to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Not sure the Tommy Copper drama will get high ratings tomorrow as it is proving to be very controversial
    The lead looks more like a young Bruce Forsyth. Not sure how big an audience it'll get, but I expect it'll be rather an old one. I'm 38 and I can't remember much about Cooper. He was long past his peak when I was in my pram.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think it will be over 6million, but around 5.5m, compared to 5m for Jamaica Inn. I hope to be surprised but I think there will be people who feel its too depressing to watch.

I feel that it sounds like it is going to debunk the guy by concentrating on his faults - not at all an affectionate tribute to him which is what I thought it was going to be when it was announced.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These types of biopics usually do well, ITV have been heavily promoting it so I wouldn't be surprised if it does 5.5-6m.

I do wonder if ITV will consider doing a drama about Benny Hill if the Tommy Cooper drama does well or is his life not as compelling compared to the likes of Tommy Cooper, Frankie Howerd etc
    I feel that it sounds like it is going to debunk the guy by concentrating on his faults - not at all an affectionate tribute to him which is what I thought it was going to be when it was announced.

To be fair, a lot of biopics do that but I think by not showing his faults such as his drinking and his affair, they'd have criticism for whitewashing him so its a no win situations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You forgot Britain's Got Golden Buzzers! :D

Interestingly enough I forget to switch it on every week as well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have used it on Friday 10:35 when Graham Norton isn't on.

Having said that, I'd like to put money on that they will repeat it in that slot over the Summer.
    It's getting its repeat in the week of transmission, so they'll probably stick something else in Norton's slot.

So to speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    ... you're watching an old man lifting weights while Angela Rippon watches.
    :D When you put it like that, it isn't going to work in any slot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's getting its repeat in the week of transmission, so they'll probably stick something else in Norton's slot.

So to speak.

Are you one of Julian Clary's scriptwriters. :D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its the highs and lows of his life. From the trailer there appears to be happy moments and sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    It's probably a 9pm show, but that wouldn't be a problem for BGT. I have to admit to being subtly amused that we've all now come round to thinking that 8pm is a perfect entertainment slot. Rewind a year and I was debating lots of people who were telling me that actually 7pm was the perfect family slot and moving BGT there had nothing to do with trying to kill off a certain BBC One singing show. Oh no, sir. Of course, The Voice moved later to take advantage of the eyeballs at 8pm and we then suddenly learned the perfect slot was in fact 7.30. Now, our tune has changed once more!

;-):D
    :D Approx 8.00pm for Factor this autumn, then!
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Its the highs and lows of his life. From the trailer there appears to be happy moments and sad.
    It wont rate well. When's the last time a biopic rated well [5m+] on itv?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 8m I would say is the ultimate target. Anything below would be very underwhelming, given that they're promoting it everywhere.
    So with Coronation St usually 1m or so ahead on Monday nights, we'd be looking at well over 9m for our Monday night Weatherfield double bill?

Or are we both being ridiculous now?
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently there is another new trailer airing after tomorrow evenings episode.

I'm still shocked ITV are showing them. :o I never thought I'd see the day.
    It's one thing commercial channels buying ad time off each other but another the licence fee being used to buy ad time - especially when ITV's reach is supposedly so poor that nobody sees the trailers so nobody watches the programmes they're promoting anyway.

This new BBC1 controller (can't remember her name) seems to be as stuck in the past as an EastEnders plot and desperate for it to remain a part of the schedule whatever the cost - and the planned new set is a significant cost for a show not at the top of it's game. This latest push seems to be out of desperation rather than confidence and you have to wonder whether it's best the BBC admit the show has had it's day, however much it's improving on screen. The trouble is of course is how you replace it - even with the new set taken into consideration they'd be lucky to produce one hour of fairly cheap pre-watershed drama a week compared to the two hours from EE.
This discussion has been closed.