Options

Holidays; Do you go back to same hotel/ resort?

biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
While reading reviews on Tripadvisor I noticed a few people said it was their 3rd or 4th visit to a place.

While this would seem to be a good recommendation for a hotel / resort ( possibly ) I just don't understand why anyone would want to keep going back to the same place.
I've had some belting holidays in the past but it's never occurred to me to go back again, rather than experience somewhere new.

Do any of you return to the same place for your hols?

Comments

• Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to places twice purely because I didn't get to see all what I wanted to see last time but once I've seen everything I want to see, it's time to move on. I never do beach or resort holidays anyway as once you've done one they're all the same. I prefer to travel to new and interesting places and then go somewhere totally different next time.

Life is too short and holidays are too expensive to waste going back to the same place year upon year when there's a whole world to explore.

I guess for some easily pleased holidaymakers all they want is sun, sea, a cup of PG Tips and a full English breakfast by the pool in some same old Mediterranean resort. Personally that kind of holiday is my worst nightmare and would bore me to tears.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cities yes - have been to Rome a few times and would love to go back to Barcelona.

Holiday destinations I tend not to..

That said I am actually going back to Kefalonia next month (went years ago and loved it) and have also been to Fuerteventura twice. Different resorts though!

Actually I've also been to Cyprus twice as well - lived out there for a while and went back years after for a holiday...
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I came back from Korea 4 days ago, and whilst in Seoul, I stayed in the same hotel I stayed in on my last trip last year. The reason why is because it is cheap, clean, in a good area and the hotel staff are wonderful. Why wouldn't I stay there again? When I travelled outside Seoul, however, I did not go to the same cities as my last visit. Next trip to Seoul, I will definitely stay in the same hotel again.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We go to the same island in Greece each year, and have done so for pretty much most of the last 15-20 years.

It ticks all of the boxes I want for a few weeks in the sun - a decent, quiet sandy beach, a great mix of nationalities, mostly couples, no screaming groups, no package tourists stuffing themselves with beer and chips, and the greek way of life largely uncompromised by tourism, and I have got to know a lot of locals quite well.

However I usually visit 2 or 3 other islands each time - I have racked up approaching 50 I have stayed on and nearly 80 visited, so do get the variation.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been to the same place for the past 6 years, and I've finally said I'm not going again. My husband's disappointed, as he loves the place, but I'm bored out of my mind with it. It's expensive as well, about £3k for a week, even though it's in the UK.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cities yes - have been to Rome a few times and would love to go back to Barcelona.

Holiday destinations I tend not to..

That said I am actually going back to Kefalonia next month (went years ago and loved it) and have also been to Fuerteventura twice. Different resorts though!

Actually I've also been to Cyprus twice as well - lived out there for a while and went back years after for a holiday...

I am much the same. I have been to Paris several times and have never been bored with it. I rarely revisit beach resorts though but I would if I was going with a group and the destination was the agreed one
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went on a city break to Florence last year and loved it so went back again this year. Seen everything we wanted to now so won't go again. Short break in Hong Kong next year so looking forward to that.
    On hotels, if it is an excellent one and you are returning to a certain place then yes of course I would use the same one if I enjoyed it previously.

Talking about HK RBG I seem to vaguely remember you stopped off there on the way to Oz a few years ago. What hotel did you stay in? Peninsular? Mandarin Oriental?
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If all you can get are short breaks, with me that's 4 - 6 days, barely better than a long weekend, then going back to the same place has it's advantages, eg. you know exactly where you are going from the airport, you know your hidden spots you can go to straight away, the best bars etc etc so no time is wasted.

For a longer break there's nothing better than messing around somewhere new, so if you try a beach and it ain't so good, there's always a new one to find tomorrow!

For me, Ibiza/Formentera are perfect for those short breaks as it's so easy to get to your resort (or even Formentera) from the airport, as are parts of the Spanish mainland (Malaga region) but when I finally retire, first on the list is a week+ long trip to St. Maarten.

Now, if only I had enough pennies...
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have only ever returned to 2 places in consecutive years. 2007 & 2008 we went to Gran Canaria. We stayed in Maspalomas both times but at different resorts. Year 2 was never the same as year one and we didn`t enjoy it anywhere near the first time. The second occasion was we visited Egypt in 2011 & 2012, doing a Nile Cruise the first week on both occasions, but with a stay in Luxor the second week of the 2011 trip and Hurghada during week 2 of 2012. The 2012 holiday was nowhere near as memorable as 2011. We stayed in an all inclusive resort in Hurghada and it just wasn`t for us. We would never do that sort of return holiday again. Once we`ve seen what we want to see and done what we set out to do there`s no point in going back.

This year we`re off to Santorini for a week in July, then we`re going to Goa at the end of November. Once we have seen them we will never return to those places.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a timeshare in lanzarote that I go back to every year. It was my grandparents who had it for about 10years and then gave it to us two years ago.
    Personally I like going back there becasue my family is all out there at the same time and I know the location. We have one lots of holidays in the past but as this is relaxing and our lives are fast paced it nice to go somewhere you know.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really get to go away very often, so on the very rare occasions when I do, I try to go somewhere I haven't been before. I'd like to go back to some of the same places, but it would seem like a wasted opportunity. If I took a holiday every year or something, then I'd probably return to places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I don't really get to go away very often, so on the very rare occasions when I do, I try to go somewhere I haven't been before. I'd like to go back to some of the same places, but it would seem like a wasted opportunity. If I took a holiday every year or something, then I'd probably return to places.

That's exactly how I feel, Stoatie.
    We're going away this year but it's the first holiday we've had in three years. I can count on my fingers how many holidays I've had in my lifetime ( and I'm no spring chicken :D )
    To go back to the same place when there are so many other places to see would seem like a waste of time and money to me.
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to a particularly good hotel in the Scottish Highlands several years running, but the couple who ran it were scaling down operations prior to their retirement and began to offer less services & facilities, so we stopped going. It was never our 'main' holiday, though, just a four-five day short break.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same place twice in consecutive years once and regretted it

I'm not saying I would never go back to the same place again but I'll leave it a good few years
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because we own a holiday home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just booked our 2014 holiday and I was so tempted when I saw a deal for the resort we went to last year, albeit a different hotel. My husband was against it and I knew he was right. Neither of us have been to many places and we need to experience different things.

I suppose there is always the fear of spending a big chunk of money and being trapped in a place for two weeks that you hate. That's why I researched carefully to make sure the hotel and resort were what we wanted. It is a risk though and I do understand people who want to stick with what they know...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because we own a holiday home.

I think if I owned a holiday home I would use it as a nice little earner to fund my own holidays in various parts of the world, by renting it out to other people, and maybe using it myself once every 5 years or so.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Lanzarote for 11 out of the last 13 years...the reason we go back so often? It suits us very nicely as it's very relaxing and peaceful.
    We went in March this year and we'll be back in June.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if i feel like it, yeah.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to go Hiking/Walking to the same places all the time, As for Holidays, sometimes we do.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    We are going to the same hotel in Cyprus that we went to last year purely because it was in such a brilliant location! It will probably (hopefully) be the last year I take my two boys away with us so next year at least we won't have stay somewhere near a waterpark (although I think No 2 son would be quite happy going away with us until he's 40).
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I've been to Lanzarote for 11 out of the last 13 years...the reason we go back so often? It suits us very nicely as it's very relaxing and peaceful.
    We went in March this year and we'll be back in June.

We must of been out there at the same time, 12th-27th March (:
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if I owned a holiday home I would use it as a nice little earner to fund my own holidays in various parts of the world, by renting it out to other people, and maybe using it myself once every 5 years or so.

It is a nice earner and I do visit other parts of the world. However for a cheap, quick and stress free trip in the sun it's ideal.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Sometimes we do. It can be easier to do the safe bet when you've got young kids and go somewhere you know was good, instead of risking somewhere that might be rubbish.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a really nice hotel in Cyprus last month and got a great deal on a package holiday website and whilst I would recommend it to others, I wouldn't go there again as I want to explore different places.