Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P2)

Comments

• Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I'm not trying to lay the blame at anyone's door. I read the same article saying that the vast majority of the English vote will be NO and that could actually sway the vote if it came down to the wire. Which I would find ironic as Scots living in the UK outside Scotland can't vote but any other nationality living inside Scotland can.

You need to be a wee bit more objective instead of looking for things to snipe at, your the most anti UK person here.
    It was a wind up! You totally bit. I expected better of you.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Can't be very bright SNP voters then.

Not predominantly Rangers fans are they?!!

No idea, nor should it matter. Ukip are now on the verge of gaining a MEP in Scotland.

That should be a wake up call to those who dismiss them as a party that has no support north of the border.

Before anyone asks I'm not voting UKIP next month.
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    No idea, nor should it matter. Ukip are now on the verge of gaining a MEP in Scotland.

That should be a wake up call to those who dismiss them as a party that has no support north of the border.

It was a joke btw.

You would have to be a bit thick to change from SNP (Scotland focussed party seeking removal from UK) to a party extolling the UK and seeking an end to the Scottish Parliament and powers for Scotland.

hence why I asked if they were Rangers fans.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

UKIP will not have a Scottish MEP next month.
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »

Why, you might have touched a nerve. Think about why there's already been mention of advice to non-scots (english) voters on how to go to the polls and escape with their lives. It might be well meant but it does seem to suit some peoples agenda to portray Scotland as some kind of lawless frontier post independence and even now. One assumes that the police in attendance will simply stand to one side whilst these ferengi are taught the error of their ways. Perhaps post independence the English will all be rounded up and sent back to where they come from. It might be an attempt to simply boost the No vote at all costs. It might even go further and be a laying of the foundations on which in a few areas polling will be shut down due to riots or even, assuming it's a close Yes win, the result can be brought in to dispute through claims of intimidation forcing people to stay at home rather than vote. Or perhaps it'll be an attempt to introduce a large number of postal votes which can be locked in to No and amongst which some extras can be slipped.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D'ya reckon?

Things is, I dont insult people who have a valid disagreement.

It's those who propogate the same BS week in week out that deservedly get both barrels for their trolling.

And so it will continue.

What are you going to do about it? Report me or something?

Thing is you don't have to be rude to get your point across, and damned right I'd report you if you abused folk here, there's no need for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »

Aye, right.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    Why, you might have touched a nerve. Think about why there's already been mention of advice to non-scots (english) voters on how to go to the polls and escape with their lives. It might be well meant but it does seem to suit some peoples agenda to portray Scotland as some kind of lawless frontier post independence and even now. One assumes that the police in attendance will simply stand to one side whilst these ferengi are taught the error of their ways. Perhaps post independence the English will all be rounded up and sent back to where they come from. It might be an attempt to simply boost the No vote at all costs. It might even go further and be a laying of the foundations on which in a few areas polling will be shut down due to riots or even, assuming it's a close Yes win, the result can be brought in to dispute through claims of intimidation forcing people to stay at home rather than vote. Or perhaps it'll be an attempt to introduce a large number of postal votes which can be locked in to No and amongst which some extras can be slipped.

I'm assuming that post was a wind up as well? The thing is, if it's a narrow Yes win then Scotland will still go independent but if it's a narrow No win then all of you Nats will continue to moan and whinge and stamp your feet and demand another referendum.

Hopefully if it's a No vote then we can park the subject for another twenty years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a joke btw.

You would have to be a bit thick to change from SNP (Scotland focussed party seeking removal from UK) to a party extolling the UK and seeking an end to the Scottish Parliament and powers for Scotland.

hence why I asked if they were Rangers fans.

What about Aberdeen fans? I never could understand why people have to bring football into things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter anyway as those English are entitled to vote and any blame could not be laid at their door. The SG set the referendum terms not Westminster.

Based on those who would be living with the consequences being the ones who should get to vote. A principle that seems to have missed the CBI who have failed to consult their members in Scotland when deciding to declare themselves on the no side. I can well believe that the vast majority of their membership might decide in favour of support for the union. And I'm sure if they'd held an actual consultation with their members then they might have figures to back that up. What isn't clear is how they would have decided if the majority in Scotland had voted to advocate independence. In fact their public statements seem to say well they could have let their feelings known but says nothing as to what credence would have been given them. They initially claimed to represent the employers of nearly half a million scotish employees. I wonder given the recent public withdrawals how that figure stands now.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27101266

"The University of Glasgow has become the latest organisation to quit the CBI.

It comes after the business lobby group registered with the Electoral Commission as a backer of the pro-Union campaign in the Scottish independence referendum debate.

The university said it had to resign its membership in order to "maintain impartiality".

BBC Scotland understands Edinburgh University has also left the CBI."
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that you never bring anything to the conversation except things like this. When your found out on one subject you immediately switch to another.

I'm beginning to think you only post here to inflate your post count:D

So not going to tell us. But we all know why.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »

It comes after the business lobby group registered with the Electoral Commission as a backer of the pro-Union campaign in the Scottish independence referendum debate.

The university said it had to resign its membership in order to "maintain impartiality".

Seems there's multiple levels of deception going on. CBI Scotland seem to be the body registered yet the decision to do so has been taken for them at a higher level without any consultation. At the same time it seems certain that the CBI itself may still be breaking the law given it's they who are campaigning in Scotland rather than a subsidiary and when it comes down to it they may have been given the harsh choice of put up or shut up. either they registered an interest or they took the other option which was to cease participation in the referendum debate.
    One thing seems certain though, if the extremely sparse numbers of members with head offices registered in Scotland is true ( 90 apparently ) then it's reasonable to assume that the vast majority of them will be UK wide and as such will have a fairly major contribution to make to any debate over currency union in a post-independence scenario. One might assume that either there will be a remarkable lack of actual transaction charges or more probably that they would at that point be staunch advocates of a common currency in at least the initial 5 to 10 years if not longer. Perhaps they should be asked for an honest answer.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBI Scotland LIST

Current CBI Members in Scotland: April 2014

Universities
    Robert Gordon University
    Glasgow Caledonian University
    College of Arts and Social Sciences (part of Dundee University)
    GU Holdings Ltd (commercial arm of Glasgow University)

Quangoes and similar
    Skills Development Scotland
    SQA
    Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework Partnership
    Investors in People Scotland
    Business Stream (part of Scottish Water)
    SECC (91% owned by Glasow Council)
    TIE (Edinburgh’s favourite tramline layer)

Trade Bodies
    Food Trade Association Management
    Graphic Enterprise Scotland
    Homes for Scotland
    Publishing Scotland
    Scottish Building Federation

SELECT
    The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
    The Scotch Whisky Association

BID district
    Essential Edinburgh

Branches or Subsidiaries
    AG Holdings
    Conoco Phillips
    Heineken
    ISS Facility Services Ltd
    UPM-Kymmene
    Weber Shandwick

Companies (split into business sectors)
    Banks and financial inc insurance and investment
    AEGON UK
    Airdrie Savings Bank
    Alliance Trust
    Clydesdale Bank
    Royal Bank of Scotland Group
    Standard Life

Engineering
    Weir Group
    Imes Group Holdings
    Jacobs
    Balmoral Group Holdings
    Hydrasun Ltd

PR & Consultants, etc
    BiP Solutions
    Chance Associates
    Core Solutions Group
    Eglinton
    Glen Abbot Ltd
    Indigo
    James Barr
    Kynesis
    Laura Gordon Associates
    Liddell Thomson
    Millstream Associates
    Munro Consulting
    SI Associates
    Gupta Partnership

Energy, Oil and Marine
    Cairn Energy
    Flexitricity
    Lithgows
    Scottish Power
    Wood Group Management Services

Lawyers
    Ledingham Chalmers
    Maclay, Murray & Spens
    MacRoberts
    McGrigors
    Morton Fraser
    Shepherd and Wedderburn

Property
    Elphinstone Holdings
    Lochay Investments
    Townhead Properties
    Construction & Supplies
    WF Watt (Contracts)
    Miller Group
    Stewart Milne Group
    McAlpine & Co
    Mactaggart & Mickel

The rest
    Devro (food wrappers)
    FirstGroup
    Havelock Europa (furniture)
    Henry Winning & Co (string & twine)
    ICS (education)
    John G Russell (transport)
    Kube Networds (telecom)
    M Computer Technologies
    Memex Technologies (electronic shop equipment)
    Morris Leslie Group (various)
    Scottish Leather Group
    Coverdale Organisation (training)
    Edrington Group (distillers)
    Skene Group (hotels)
    Tomatin Distillery
    Tullis Russell Group (paper)

So far, the following organisations have resigned membership:

STV
    VisitScotland
    Scottish Enterprise
    Aquamarine Power
    Balhousie Group

A few more left today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Aberdeen fans? I never could understand why people have to bring football into things.

The reason Rangers fans were mentioned was due to their generally staunch support of the union.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the CBI didn't register then come the end of may they wouldnt be able to take part in the referendum debate of which the outcome could have major implications for its cross border members in particular.

The impartial bodies and SG quangos leaving now would've had to do the same had they registered to the Yes campaign.

The same rules are the reason Business for Scotland are also registering with the Electoral Commission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully if it's a No vote then we can park the subject for another twenty years.

That has always been the position.

However, if there is a no and the UK then votes to come out of the EU, I suspect that will give a mandate for another Scottish referendum.

Certainly given the way the anti independence movement have agitated for the likes of Orkney and Shetland to have a say on their future in the event of a yes vote, it would be highly hypocritical of them to then deny Scotland a say if the consititutional set up changes were there an out vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is you don't have to be rude to get your point across, and damned right I'd report you if you abused folk here, there's no need for it.

Bet you wouldn't report abusive posts from people agreeing with your point of view.

Or else you would have by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, if there is a no and the UK then votes to come out of the EU, I suspect that will give a mandate for another Scottish referendum.

Certainly given the way the anti independence movement have agitated for the likes of Orkney and Shetland to have a say on their future in the event of a yes vote, it would be highly hypocritical of them to then deny Scotland a say if the consititutional set up changes were there an out vote.

Id expect another referendum within 10 years.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the CBI didn't register then come the end of may they wouldnt be able to take part in the referendum debate of which the outcome could have major implications for its cross border members in particular.

The impartial bodies and SG quangos leaving now would've had to do the same had they registered to the Yes campaign.

The same rules are the reason Business for Scotland are also registering with the Electoral Commission.

Yeah, it seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm sure Salmond would have been over the moon if the CBI had backed the Yes vote, but since the overwhelming number of members are England based he shouldn't be surprised that the CBI are supportive of the union.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »

Members of the CBI were not balloted to vote on this.

Seems a small cabal has decreed the CBI in Scotlands position.

May be worth keeping an eye on the honours lists to see who gets awards for 'Services to Business' in the near future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id expect another referendum within 10 years.

Nah.

Once in a generation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10316878/Alex-Salmond-on-course-for-defeat-in-independence-referendum.html

But Mr Salmond said: “Today marks one year to the biggest opportunity Scotland has ever had.

“Referendums like this are a once in a generation event, which means the vote on September 18th next year will be the opportunity of a lifetime for many people in Scotland, as we get the chance to choose our country’s future.”
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    However the Chambers of Commerce are managing to facilitate debates while remaining neutral. If the CBI had bothered to check with their members than they might have thought twice about becoming political on either side of the referendum debate and put over unbiased information. Unfortunately now anything the CBI comes out with will be known to be unrepresentative and biased rubbish.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it is a no and uk vote to come out of the EU, residence of Scotland would have been part of that vote to make it happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Members of the CBI were not balloted to vote on this.

Seems a small cabal has decreed the CBI in Scotlands position.

It's the blatant switching back and forth between who, exactly, has been registered. If it's the CBI as a whole then fine we can assume that perhaps a UK wide ballot would have resulted in the majority of that body voting to officially enter as campaigners on the No side. However that would leave the small problem of what to do should it turn out that the majority in "CBI Scotland" opted for neutrality or even for independence.

As to the "consultation" that took place they are very careful to avoid claims that they actually asked or even invited feedback simply claiming that their members had every opportunity to do so.
This discussion has been closed.