Options

Accidentally running over animals.

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,964
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very stressful this morning on the way to work. There was a fledgling starling in the road. As I drove up it didn't move in time & I went over it. If it had stayed on the ground it would have been ok but as i drove over it must have panicked and flew up hitting the underside of the car. When I looked back it was tumbling in the road & looked dead. Its the first time I have ever hit an animal. I do feel very guilty.

Comments

• Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Very stressful this morning on the way to work. There was a fledgling starling in the road. As I drove up it didn't move in time & I went over it. If it had stayed on the ground it would have been ok but as i drove over it must have panicked and flew up hitting the underside of the car. When I looked back it was tumbling in the road & looked dead. Its the first time I have ever hit an animal. I do feel very guilty.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do. I've been driving a long time and only run over a couple of birds.. Well one flew right into my car :confused:

I have a freind who has wrote off three cars from hitting wild Deer. She is always running something over.. Very strange.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a pheasant made a right mess of a plastic front grill several years back...

cost a bomb to put right,
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I smashed a fox to pieces in a hire van a few years ago. The local ARC carwash wouldn't let me through it so I had to clean it off at home with a hose. Nasty stuff.

If there was literally nothing you could do then don't feel guilty. Life comes and goes.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I squashed a frog once cant think of anything else
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I hate it when that happens. To me the most important thing is to maintain control of the car so I'd rather hit the animal rather than veer blindly trying to avoid it.

I've hit a partridge once. It was standing in a the middle lane of a three lane motorway. I changed lanes to avoid it but it still ran in front of me and left a big cloud of feathers when I hit it. The biggest thing I've hit is an owl. Luckily I've never hit anything big like a deer.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went over someone's pet cat on the motorbike a few years back. It ran out from under a parked car right across the road in front of me. No chance to respond, just a sickening double bump as first my front then rear wheel went over the poor thing. I pulled up and went looking for it, and found it dead under another car a few minutes later. Felt like crap for days afterwards, but there really was nothing I could have done. Same with your bird. Sometimes you just don't have time to react.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately I've never hit an animal. The nearest I came to it was when a dog ran out into a country road, but I swerved and just managed to avoid it. Stopped the car and saw it running off OK.

Phew......I'd really feel awful, although as others have said, it wouldn't be your fault. Usually, you would either not realise until it was too late, or not be able to react fast enough.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hit a fox and it cost over £2k to repair the bumper (that was 10 years ago)

Also hit a pheasant once - killed it instantly, so put it in the boot, got my Dad to pluck it, clean it and hang it for me. Had it for a family supper!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Hit a fox and it cost over £2k to repair the bumper (that was 10 years ago)

Also hit a pheasant once - killed it instantly, so put it in the boot, got my Dad to pluck it, clean it and hang it for me. Had it for a family supper!

Isn't that illegal? I'm sure it is,, its OK for the driver behind to take it but not the car that hit it..

What a strange law that is.. I expect (if its true) to stop people running them over on purpose?

ETA Seems it is true but you can pick up a Deer you hit just not a pheasant :confused::D
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Pheasants seem to have a death wish at this time of the year. I slowed down the other week to let one across the road, then once he had got to safety , he ran back under the van.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't that illegal? I'm sure it is,, its OK for the driver behind to take it but not the car that hit it..

What a strange law that is.. I expect (if its true) to stop people running them over on purpose?

ETA Seems it is true but you can pick up a Deer you hit just not a pheasant :confused::D

I'm sure the cost to repair any damage to your car would outweigh any gain from getting any free venison or game bird.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support. I was wondering perhaps the bird was stunned instead of dead. I could have stopped & lifted it on the verge instead of waiting to be run over by another vehicle. Too late now.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smaller the animal, the more points you win. Best I ever got was a squirrel for 75. I'd put a fledgling starling at around 100 points.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine saw a pheasant killed by a car while he was walking, so he took it home, plucked it and cooked it.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I once hit a cat. It ran across, I heard the bump so pulled over and found it lying on the grass verge hardly breathing in the bright afternoon warm sunshine, so I got the jack handle out and finished it off. Imagine my surprise when I arrived home and found a dead cat in my radiator grill. ;-)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother hit a cow many years ago with a big V6 zephyr, killed the cow and wrote the car off. i remember the car on the back of the RAC trailer. poor thing.
    Farmer got fined for not keeping his animals off the road and his insurance paid for my brother's new car.

i think it was a V6, it was a big thing anyway, something like this.

Pets it is worse to be honest, i was in a car driven by a friend a last year and we think we hit a cat, but it was a busy road and there was no way to go back to see if it was ok. Upset her and me to be honest. i would hate it if it happened to my cat, but sometimes you just can't stop.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Hit a fox and it cost over £2k to repair the bumper (that was 10 years ago

Considering the amount of roadkill foxes I see when out driving I'm surprised anyone still argues that they need hunting...
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I once seen a car swerve to avoid a bird on the road an almost hit a car on the other side of the road. Sometimes you just have to hit animals unfortunately
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hit a fox before. It crossed the road then it kind of looked at my car and ran towards it as I was driving passed it.

Nothing I could have down to avoid it, but the sound it makes when it hits the car is awful.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I hit a cat. It ran out from behind a wall and straight across in front of me. I was doing about 30 mph at the time. In my car mirror I could see it leaping about 6 ft in the air. It did this several times and I didn't think it was going to stop. It was most bizarre. Then it just fell to the ground and stayed there.

I stopped the car and a man picked it up off the road and put it beside the gate of the house it ran out of. I felt sick for days.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, just remember that most baby creatures die for one reason or another before they grow to adulthood. Otherwise we'd be overrun with them. Something will eat the corpse or take it back to their nest/den to feed their own babies just like all the others. So your net effect on the wildlife population will be close to zero.

(Apart from the damage you do by driving cars in the first place, so if you want to feel guilty about anything....)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago while cutting the lawn a frog jump from a hole in the lawn trying to escape, but went straight into the mower. It was all over in a split second, and there was nothing I could do. There was bits of frog all over the place. I felt terrible. Don't really like frogs, but wouldn't want to harm them.

Since then it's take me a lot longer to cut the grass because I edge forward a few inches at a time so that they have chance to get out of the way - which they usually do by leaping ahead of the mower.

It's funny how these things can get to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    A couple of years ago while cutting the lawn a frog jump from a hole in the lawn trying to escape, but went straight into the mower. It was all over in a split second, and there was nothing I could do. There was bits of frog all over the place. I felt terrible. Don't really like frogs, but wouldn't want to harm them.

Since then it's take me a lot longer to cut the grass because I edge forward a few inches at a time so that they have chance to get out of the way - which they usually do by leaping ahead of the mower.

It's funny how these things can get to you.

I managed to get lucky bugger out of the collection bin of my mower. Must have dodged the blades and got sucked in at the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101102998@N05/13934320466/
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Myth. Absolutely no reason for you not to take something you've killed - other than braking hard may cause the car behind to drive in to you. :D This "car behind gets the roadkill..." belief grew up because of pheasants and poaching and the perception that killing a pheasant (or hare, rabbit) with a car was the equivalent of poaching. It's not.

A friend had a car written off because a cow - crossing the lane with the herd from one field to another - got in a snit with another cow and it turned around and ran at my friend's BMW. It crashed into the bonnet and climbed up onto it before falling off the back. It sounds funny - and it probably was - but friend was traumatised for weeks.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hit a dog on the motorway a few years ago. Granted I wasn't the first to run it over so I didn't kill it, and there was no way I could have really avoided it but it still upset me.