Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P2)

Comments

• Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    But their football team plays in Scotland and Berwickshire is in Scotland.

So what? It doesn't change it's location in political reality.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, never been to Berwick then. You should go sometime. The walls are quite impressive.

No, never been but would love to get the chance at some point.

Lucky, I won't need to go through customs and boarder control to get there;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    It's classed as a civil war but whatever it was the impact it had on Scotland was real and shouldn't be dismissed. Scots, English. Highlander and Lowlander also fought on the Jacobite side as well. It's a misconception that it was all Highlanders. Regardless that is the past. The point is that the Union itself has cause wars itself. Culloden and the Irish War of Independence might not be classed as wars to you but the impact they had in Britain and greater than the many of the foreign wars we fought under union.

I've never seen it classed as a civil war, an uprising maybe, I never denied that a few non highlanders fought but the numbers weren't great. There were Irish too on the Jacobite side, you missed them out.
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Clueless? Please look up the dates of the English Civil War.

Irish war of independence? It might have been called that but it wasn't a war, there weren't actually more than one government involved.

The Blitz, if I recall was German aggression on the UK and if I'm not mistaken didn't involve the countries of the UK fighting each other?

Imagine what me being clueless makes you in comparison given the fact that all of your examples were totally vacuous?

My point was that the, so called, English Civil War was between differing factions of the countries involved and not the governments. I suggest you get in touch with ECWS, the Sealed Knot and anyone else you care to talk to an express your view that it wasn't a war.
    In that light the Irish War of Independence was definitely a war and one that the UK lost at that. Sorry if that dents your pride but face facts.

Now if you're restricting your claim of their being no war in the UK to being between the constituent countries then I'd still say you were wrong. Demonstrably Ireland rebelled and also demonstrably it wasn't completely united. If anything the 1801 Act of union, which its claimed as being the important one by some unionists in justifying retaining the "United Kingdom" part of the name, did nothing to prevent war within the UK.
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? It doesn't change it's location in political reality.

Well they should be given a vote on rejoining so that they can come home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

You might if Berwick decides to join Scotland.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, finally the Unionists admit that the idea of border controls between Scotland and England is ludicrous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    My point was that the, so called, English Civil War was between differing factions of the countries involved and not the governments. I suggest you get in touch with ECWS, the Sealed Knot and anyone else you care to talk to an express your view that it wasn't a war.
    In that light the Irish War of Independence was definitely a war and one that the UK lost at that. Sorry if that dents your pride but face facts.

Now if you're restricting your claim of their being no war in the UK to being between the constituent countries then I'd still say you were wrong. Demonstrably Ireland rebelled and also demonstrably it wasn't completely united. If anything the 1801 Act of union, which its claimed as being the important one by some unionists in justifying retaining the "United Kingdom" part of the name, did nothing to prevent war within the UK.

Sorry, your clutching at straws now, the English Civil War was of course a war that involved Scots troops as well, in fact Scottish forces were decisive in some battles.

Unfortunately for your theory it predates the Union by scores of years, hence why I asked you to check the dates.

The Irish war of independence lasted what, 3 years and I'm not convinced that Ireland declared war, it was really a guerrilla campaign fought to unsuccessful stalemate.

So perhaps for 3 years out of 300 there have been no wars between countries in the UK and even then the Irish one was possibly not declared and was a relatively short lived guerrilla action.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they should be given a vote on rejoining so that they can come home.

But it's been English probably longer than it was ever Scottish and legally in England. Your not making sense now. Norway has a greater claim to Shetland.
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Cannot be that well known, Orri didn't know which country:)

And the fact it claims to still be at war has nothing to do with Scotland.

I had reason to suspect it was Russia. However looking further it seems it was just a myth. Berwick became defined as part of England in 1746, as did Wales. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_and_Berwick_Act_1746 which still leaves the interesting question about the legality of it all as granted English Law applied to Berwick via a previous treaty it might be considered outwith the scope of that to effectively transfer it from Scotland to England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it's been English probably longer than it was ever Scottish and legally in England. Your not making sense now. Norway has a greater claim to Shetland.

Does Shetland play football in Norway? Does Norway have a Shetlandshire? I think not?
    Why are you afraid to give people in Berwick the right to decide what country they should be in?

Berwick remained a county in its own right, and was not included in Northumberland for Parliamentary purposes until 1885. In the same year, the Redistribution of Seats Act reduced the number of Members of Parliament (MPs) returned by the town from two to one.
    From wiki
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Ah, finally the Unionists admit that the idea of border controls between Scotland and England is ludicrous.

Please explain?
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I've never seen it classed as a civil war, an uprising maybe, I never denied that a few non highlanders fought but the numbers weren't great. There were Irish too on the Jacobite side, you missed them out.

It was not a war between England and Scotland. It was actually a bid to reclaim not just the defunct Scottish throne but that of Great Britain as well as the Irish throne with support from Europe. Though donning Highland garb for psychological effect, the Jacobite army was made up of both Highland and (about one-third) Lowland troops, not to mention French and Irish troops and small numbers of northern English (a contingent which is often overlooked).

Not that it matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Shetland play football in Norway? Does Norway have a Shetlandshire? I think not?
    Why are you afraid to give people in Berwick the right to decide what country they should be in?

Berwick remained a county in its own right, and was not included in Northumberland for Parliamentary purposes until 1885. In the same year, the Redistribution of Seats Act reduced the number of Members of Parliament (MPs) returned by the town from two to one.
    From wiki

Aye, we can all read wiki, it also goes on to state that it's an English town and it also states that it was originally founded by a population nothing to do with Scotland.

The truth is that the town lies in England and being English they don't get that vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye, we can all read wiki, it also goes on to state that it's an English town and it also states that it was originally founded by a population nothing to do with Scotland.

The truth is that the town lies in England and being English they don't get that vote.

But what if they want to secede from England? Do you support their right to self determination or ONLY communities wishing to secede from Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they should be given the chance since the majority of the towns population identify themselves as Scottish. You seem to be becoming very undemocratic over the last few posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what if they want to secede from England? Do you support their right to self determination or ONLY communities wishing to secede from Scotland?

Now, now we do not want his head to explode :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was not a war between England and Scotland. It was actually a bid to reclaim not just the defunct Scottish throne but that of Great Britain as well as the Irish throne with support from Europe. Though donning Highland garb for psychological effect, the Jacobite army was made up of both Highland and (about one-third) Lowland troops, not to mention French and Irish troops and small numbers of northern English (a contingent which is often overlooked).

Not that it matters.

Your right, it doesn't matter and has no bearing on an independence referendum. You can't really equate the past with today, they had far different conceptions in their time about the best way to rule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's fine by me, if any English county wants to join us. In fact, as I said, they all could and greater Scotland would get the government it votes for.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they should be given the chance since the majority of the towns population identify themselves as Scottish. You seem to be becoming very undemocratic over the last few posts.

Do the majority identify as Scots then? Alas the same could be said of Corby but guess what, it's in England too and the referendum is only for those in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fine by me, if any English county wants to join us. In fact, as I said, they all could and greater Scotland would get the government it votes for.:D

So why are you so set against Berwick rejoining Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I won't mind because after indy I'll be going Scottish Tory anyway. I need a challenge to fight for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why are you so set against Berwick rejoining Scotland?

Because it's not Scottish. Orkney and Shetland should rejoin Norway under your logic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't mind because after indy I'll be going Scottish Tory anyway. I need a challenge to fight for.

You forgot your winky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You forgot your winky
    :D:blush:
This discussion has been closed.