Options

Endeavour is back soon!

Comments

• Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I love Brenda, but hate Vera. On that 50 top cops thing someone described her a female Columbo. Which fits. I can't stand Columbo either.
    I love cop dramas, but I didn't like Vera when I watched it,

Would rather put a Morse DVD or Lewis DVD on next Sunday! (I haven't got Endeavour on DVD yet!)
    At least Lewis is coming back - yay!

Not a fan of Blethyn as Vera either.

I hope when Lewis comes back its as 2 hours progs - not the 1 hour ones shown in two parts like the last series.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Vera. I'm a fan of numerous different kind of detectives.
  • Options
    sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have I missed something, I thought Lewis had ended as both actors had decided to call it a day?
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah_2277 wrote: »
    Have I missed something, I thought Lewis had ended as both actors had decided to call it a day?

It was announced earlier this year...apparently Hathaway returns to the police and being unable to fit with any new partner, Lewis gets pulled out of retirement...which sounds a bit unlikely but if it gets them back together then jolly good show...
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Poor old Thursday, but I suppose 'death of mentor' is one of the classic themes in the hero's journey, if death it is to be. Which I hope it isn't, Roger Allam is a class act(or).

I suppose the fate of Thursday has been left open in case Roger Allam doesn't want to return to the role. Otherwise, surely if he is to be killed off, it would have happened at the end of this series, not be left hanging to be announced, rather lamely, at the start of the next series (assuming there is a next series). Personally, assuming RA is up for it, I rather took the fact that Thursday was not killed outright to mean that he will indeed survive.

Re 'death of mentor' being a classic theme in the hero's journey, yes, that it is true, but I think Endeavour is showing us the hero when he is still at the stage of being someone's protege. Obviously, he has to progress at some point to become the man first introduced in Morse, but I hope Flukie is right in saying:
    I suspect Thursday will be around as long as Endeavour is.

With regard to what happened to Thursday at the end of this series: how likely is that, does anyone know? I didn't think policeman carried guns until much later. It struck me as a bit odd when Thursday had the shoot out with the gangsters at the end of S1, but then this week we had police officers firing guns at Endeavour, and then Thursday going to the final meeting with his gun ready, and then being shot by another policeman. Leftovers from the 2nd world war aside, how prevalent were firearms in England in the 1960s? And how likely is it that a police officer would end up shot dead? It does seem a little over dramatic to me, but I am ready to be told otherwise.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

They changed their minds! They started filming this month. 6 new episodes.

Hathaway (who we all thought was leaving the force, but obviously not!) is promoted to Inspector. Lewis is retired. I think the blurb said something about Hathaway can't find anyone to work with who he has the chemistry with like he had with Lewis so Lewis comes out of retirement to help him out.
    Probably glad of something to do! lol

I don't care what the scenario is, I'm just happy they're coming back!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Not a fan of Blethyn as Vera either.

I hope when Lewis comes back its as 2 hours progs - not the 1 hour ones shown in two parts like the last series.

I couldn't agree more. All the other 2 hour crime dramas get 2 hours, why only Lewis to be cut up! It ruins the atmophere cutting it in half.

And funnily enough, next Friday on ITV1 at 9pm they're repeating a Lewis '- The Ramblin' Boy' . An hour long.

I used to V+ them and only watch the whole story when the 2nd part was filmed so I watched both parts in week 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched a 'Crime Connections' on You Tube the other day, the one that featured Endeavour. This was made after the Pilot had been shown (at the end he said as the Pilot was so well received a series had been commissioned!) and as I haven't seen the Pilot since it was on - I really must get the DVD! - I'd forgotten how it ended.

John's daughter - whose in it - of course - said although she knew it was in the script it really hit her when she saw it on screen.
    I'm referring to that end scene when Endeavour is in the car with Thursday and Thursday's saying 'Where will you be in 20 years" and Morse looks in the rear mirror, adjusts it ... and his eyes are replaced by the older Morse, so you see John Thaw.

I remember when I watched that in the Pilot i got a bit teary ... and I even did watching it again!
    I remember people saying it was a brilliant way to end the Pilot. And it was.

I also found an audio interview with Roger and Shaun. Done before the first series was shown. Didn't realise Shaun was a scouser with the accent to go with it!
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise Shaun was a scouser with the accent to go with it!

Yes in post #304 on this page of the thread
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949210&page=13 I wrote about that and put a clip up of Shaun in Teachers with his natural accent. :)
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think policeman carried guns until much later. It struck me as a bit odd when Thursday had the shoot out with the gangsters at the end of S1, but then this week we had police officers firing guns at Endeavour, and then Thursday going to the final meeting with his gun ready, and then being shot by another policeman

Don't believe the Dixon of Dock Green propaganda!

Until private ownership of firearms was first regulated in the 1920s it was extremely common for detectives to carry a personally owned pistol. And in the 1930s Metropolitan Police constables, on night duty, simply had to ask to be issued with a pistol.

In the 1960s private ownership of fireams was still lightly regulated. Larger police stations had stocks of weapons that were easily available to constables. Thursday would have been able to self-issue.

It's only in recent years that the police have got their pants in a twist over firearms. Probably because very few senior officers have military experience and are more psychologically suited to social work than holding a 38.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes in post #304 on this page of the thread
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949210&page=13 I wrote about that and put a clip up of Shaun in Teachers with his natural accent. :)

Oh, I never noticed that, sorry! :)

It was funny hearing him talking about playing Morse, with a scouse accent - for some reason! lol
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I expect Thursday might end up invalided out of the force but with such a good relationship, Morse will go to him for advice.
  • Options
    sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the Lewis update, I'm excited now. Re: Endeavour, was there ever any mention of Thursday in Morse?
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the Lewis update, I'm excited now. Re: Endeavour, was there ever any mention of Thursday in Morse?

I've never heard of Thursday before, I don't think there was any mention. Not in the books for sure.
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm no Morse expert having only watched Lewis and Endeavour, but I don't think Thursday was ever mentioned in the original Morse because in the interview Flukie mentions above in post 434, Roger Allam talks about Thursday being an invention of the Endeavour script writer (not Colin Dexter).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Funny, that was asked in that interview I listened to. Shaun said there were references to young Morse in the books and they were used, but Thursday was just an invention to give young Morse someone to bounce off in this series. Someone to take Morse under his wing, the older, more experienced copper, etc.

Roger said he was proud it was Thursday who introduced Morse to his first pint! lol Cos of course in the pilot Morse said he didn't drink. Thursday takes him to a pub, puts a pint in front of him and Morse said "I don't drink"
    "So you said ... now get that down you" Thursday says. So of course he does. lol

So he was just created for this series, nothing to do with Colin Dexter, though presumably he approved!
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fab ending. i wonder if we will get a third series
  • Options
    Pin_SwedePin_Swede Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Hahaha yes I think we can say that ship has well and truly sailed. But he's a surprisingly good actor - not just a pretty face after all. :D
    :)
    As soon as I noticed James Wilby in the role as the super I know it would be him who be the bad guy! JM always manages to get cast in the really mad parts it seems!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    He has been arrested "before" (so to speak), in an episode of Morse
    And again it was the Masons... eg. 'Masonic Mysteries' with Hugo De Vries... :(
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pin_Swede wrote: »
    :)
    As soon as I noticed James Wilby in the role as the super I know it would be him who be the bad guy! JM always manages to get cast in the really mad parts it seems!

Has anyone seen him in the midsomer murders episode where he's the killer? pretty scary there too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Unfortunatley not, according to ITV, there will be these awful 60 (45) minutes slots...:(
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-commissions-new-series-lewis#.Uw5lbLRAfcy
    "The new films – 6 x 60 minutes – will be written by Helen Jenkins (Lewis, Holby City) and the final two part episodes written by Steve Coombes (New Tricks, Hustle, Outlaws)."
    So I guess, I will collect/wait and watch every 14 days, just like the last series of Lewis!:)
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    Now I know why Morse did not always respect authority, apart from Strange of course.
    Erm, respect Strange? I think Morse lost any respect for Strange when he threw that "make your choice!" line at him, & Strange's big dumb face just closed down into that arrogant jobsworth look. (It was weird actually - I've seen that look so often on James Grout's face, it was almost as if the young Strange was actually morphing into the old one in front of our eyes). I now understand why the older Morse used to sometimes almost hiss at him through his teeth, with a kind of barely suppressed fury - he knew the man inside out, and could read him like a book. (Many of us have worked for bosses more stupid & rapacious than ourselves, but we don't often get to see the history of such a relationship portrayed dramatically.)
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I expect Thursday might end up invalided out of the force but with such a good relationship, Morse will go to him for advice.

This is what I think too, that way he will still be a sort of mentor, but from his living room table where they always sit.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    No Jersey, your "musings" were put across in a very instructive way.

Nicely done jp.

Thanks - I know I write too much, really, but I can't switch of the habits of the day job!

It's always interesting reading everyone's theories, likes and dislikes about the TV series (all three of them) and I'm firmly in the camp of hoping we can keep Thursday as a character for a bit longer!

I did find Sunday's final episode quite distressing to watch - I know someone who was horribly abused in similar circumstances - and I have to say the reaction of the character of 'young' Peter Jakes when he was found by Morse in the pub was horrifically familiar, but so well-acted. I could feel his terror as the memories all came flooding back and he couldn't stop them, and... well, it just got to me so much. :(
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course jerseyporter's OK - he's from Chippy! ;-)