Options

Rev (BBC2 Comedy Series) - Mondays - 10:00PM

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    This episode showed up the church for the bitchy back-stabbing place it can be.
    Nigel is a 'loathsome nob' just as Adam said, and the grasping Dean with the strident diocesan secretary is all too familiar.

No wonder barely anyone wants to go to these places.

I hope that Nigel gets what is coming to him in the final episode. As for the Dean and secretary they make the Archdeacon seem almost reasonable
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Well, between the 2001 and 2011 census's those who described themselves as 'christian' tumbed by over 5% of the general population and 10% of the 2001 Christian base - losing 10% in a decade is obv. serious stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Well, betwee the 2001 and 2011 census's those who described themselves as 'christian' tumbed byover 5%ofthe general populationand 10% of the 2001 Christian base - losing 10% in a decade is obv serious stuff.

But how many of the people who describe themselves as Christians actually go to church on a regular basis?? They could be said to be Christian by upbringing rather than by practice

I remember in an episode of Bottom Richie and Eddie were arguing about religion and Eddie said "But you never go to Church" and Richie said something like "But I don't have to go to church, I'm Church of England"
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,932
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I hope that Nigel gets what is coming to him in the final episode. As for the Dean and secretary they make the Archdeacon seem almost reasonable

He'll be forgiven by Adam in a messianic gesture!
    This was the Good Friday episode of the Easter story, laid on quite thickly, what with Colin denying Adam, the walk along the 'via dolorosa' carrying the cross, and the closing scene where the church is stripped of decoration as a sign of grief.

Next week's will be 'Easter sunday' - with hope, forgiveness etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That "good Friday" episode was extremely well judged. Seems strange that the one thing I didn't buy into this series was Rev pushing over the statue, but I went along with it without any problem. It could have gone horribly wrong and it didn't. Quite brave of them.

Just hope we don't get too much schmaltz next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved last night's episode. This series has dealt with more serious issues than the previous ones, but it is exceptionally well written and acted. The only thing I didn't like was the statue bit (as mentioned above), but it was all leading up to what's happening in these subsequent episodes.

Liam Neeson really is God. I knew it. :D
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

Well considering the church has been closed, I expect and hope he'll be finding himself out of a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Next week's will be 'Easter sunday' - with hope, forgiveness etc.

And possibly, the resurrection of St Saviours ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Disappointing the way Nigel has turned out though. I agree he is indeed a loathsome nob.

Next week I'd quite like Liam Neeson/God to take Nigel aside and say to him "Stop shit stirring or ... I will hunt you down, I will find you, and I will kill you".
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blimey , they laid it on a bit thick didn't they - carrying the cross thru the streets !

the Liam Neeson bit was great tho , didn't recognise him at first cos he was jumping about . shame he couldn't have had a scene with Ralph .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Disappointing the way Nigel has turned out though. I agree he is indeed a loathsome nob.

It hasn't come out of nowhere though. Nigel has always thought that he'd make a better vicar than Adam and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nigel grassed him up over the Ellie business at least partially because he hasn't forgiven Adam for not writting him a sufficiently positive letter when he was applying to "vicar school"
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant references to the easter story - Archdeacon/Jewish high priest trial, bishop/Pilate washing their hands of him, Colin/Peter denying they even knew him, carring the cross up the hill.
    Just superb for easter weekend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week I'd quite like Liam Neeson/God to take Nigel aside and say to him "Stop shit stirring or ... I will hunt you down, I will find you, and I will kill you".

That would be brilliant. :D

I hope that, at the very least, Nigel's pretend girlfriend is revealed to be nowt but his lousy attempts at Photoshop - in a very public and humiliating way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Watching Rev from the start (again, I watched them as they aired too) and the one thing that grabs me is how clever the script is. I'm a regular church attender, and to be honest these people are stereotypes of people I see on a weekly basis :p But what I find *remarkable* is that the script touches on issues that are normally so taboo and STILL manages to plant a little humour in them - the convicted paedophile involved in the church, Adam fighting temptation...it's very clever.
    Nigel...what? I thought he was a friend of Adam's? I'm really annoyed!
    But yes, very strong series, and I agree that series 2 was the weakest of the lot, but not weak at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, it is - or at least was - deceptively subversive. It seems more overt about that in S3.

But it doesn't shy away from big issues, paedophilia, temptation/lust, gay marriage ...

It's retelling of the Easter story has also been really pretty smart.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's retelling of the Easter story has also been really pretty smart.

Yes, it was very smart but I wonder if it was just too smart and would have gone over the heads of many viewers.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, it was very smart but I wonder if it was just too smart and would have gone over the heads of many viewers.

Nah Im pretty thick and I got it
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    That's the great thing about the News Quiz - it's funny *and* it pisses off certain types of people.

The only type of people it's likely to piss off is comedy lovers.

Jeremy Hardy was secretly delighted when the Tories got back in as it enabled him to recycle all his old eighties material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It hasn't come out of nowhere though. Nigel has always thought that he'd make a better vicar than Adam and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nigel grassed him up over the Ellie business at least partially because he hasn't forgiven Adam for not writting him a sufficiently positive letter when he was applying to "vicar school"

He's really vengeful isn't he. I wonder what he hoped to achieve by removing Adam though? He's just a lay-reader and could not replace an ordained priest at St Saviour's. And what theological college would now consider him as an ordinand now that he's been revealed to be a troublemaker and nasty piece of work?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Brilliant references to the easter story - Archdeacon/Jewish high priest trial, bishop/Pilate washing their hands of him, Colin/Peter denying they even knew him, carring the cross up the hill.
    Just superb for easter weekend.

Not sure if Im reading too much into it, but jesus was betrayed by Judas's kiss. Do we think in Rev, it's the actual kiss with Ellie or the betrayal of his "friend" nigel - he did seem more of a friend last week, putting Adam up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I got the bit about the Bish/Pilate washing his hands
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched. As I have long suspected, Liam Neeson really is God :) Him and Ralph Fiennes turning up in a little BBC2 show is amazing, suggests they rate the show or Tom H has some pretty top notch Hollywood mates.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rev is effective because it is realistic, and the type of back-stabbing, pernicious ambition, and bitchiness portrayed is very much alive and kicking in the church. And that is in no way the view of an outsider looking in.
    Particular types of churches might be doing very well in London, as you describe, but I suspect they are probably in the evangelical/charismatic sector. Many traditional church congregations are dwindling considerably as shown by the statistics. Between 2005-10, 34 Anglican churches opened, 238 closed, making a net loss of 204 churches nationwide.

I went to St James's Piccadilly last year for morning Eucharist, thinking it would be full-to-the-brim as a busy metropolitan and central church.
    It was very poorly attended. Same with St Benet's Paul's Wharf.
    And you'd be right. A lot of smaller more sparsely-manned churches ended up being taken over as HTB-type plants...
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's really vengeful isn't he. I wonder what he hoped to achieve by removing Adam though? He's just a lay-reader and could not replace an ordained priest at St Saviour's. And what theological college would now consider him as an ordinand now that he's been revealed to be a troublemaker and nasty piece of work?
    Wasn't Judas envious of Jesus? Looked like a slight crib of the dynamic in Superstar....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    And you'd be right. A lot of smaller more sparsely-manned churches ended up being taken over as HTB-type plants...

I've just looked up 'HTB plants' - scary stuff.

I wonder how some of the older and/or established members of these churches felt when their churches were invaded by the evangelical brigade.

It happens elsewhere too e.g. in Aberystwyth, where the (formerly high) church of St Michael's became infiltrated and got changed into a judgmental fundamentalist place.