Options

Deeply unfashionable singers and groups

Comments

• Options
    dechechodechecho Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vera Lynn. Age 97 and about to release a new album.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26653003
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I'm going to have to go with the Lighthouse Family. Scandalously bad music, enjoyed by Vectra driving salesmen who thought they were hip.

That group are so bland that they are verging on vile.

What's the situation with E.L.O. at the moment ? They seem to fluctuate between seen as creaky old fart music and being fairly cool.
    I like them at the moment, partly due to realising Jeff Lynn is a good musician.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That group are so bland that they are verging on vile.

What's the situation with E.L.O. at the moment ? They seem to fluctuate between seen as creaky old fart music and being fairly cool.
    I like them at the moment, partly due to realising Jeff Lynn is a good musician.
    I love ELO, I wouldn't say they fit in this catagory though.
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dechecho wrote: »

Wow :o
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    River_Tam wrote: »
    I adore Country music, which has been considered uncool by nearly everyone else I know my whole life.

Maybe it's just where you live? Country music is hugely popular in Scotland
    and Ireland.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dechecho wrote: »

Roger Waters will be pleased. From The Wall.
    Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    Remember how she said that
    We would meet again
    Some sunny day?
    Vera! Vera!
    What has become of you?
    Does anybody else here
    Feel the way I do?
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,114
    Forum Member
    I'm a Britney fan as well but I'm not a music snob. I do however get into arguments with people who dare slag off our Britney. About two weeks ago I was in a bit of a Britney mood and I was randomly singing her songs at odd moments, as I tend to do. I was playing Mario Party with some friends. One guy (who was on his laptop playing Goat Simulator) overheard me and he was shocked when I admitted I listened to Britney Spears. He kept going on about what a talentless idiot he thought she was and he reckoned she can't sing, she can't dance, she can't write her own songs, she's crazy... I could go on >:( Anyway I got really angry and told him a few home truths about her :D He was a metalhead.

Yep! And yet nobody can name a single Nolans song, but then who can name a Saturdays song apart from us fans? :p And yes I am a Sats fan, have been since the beginning.

Chemistry
    Don't make waves
    Attention to me
    Spirit, body & soul
    Gotta pull myself together
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love country music, the schmaltzier, the better. I feel no shame and although its not considered cool I feel a million dollars blaring out country hits from my car stereo.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Chemistry
    Don't make waves
    Attention to me
    Spirit, body & soul
    Gotta pull myself together

I'm surprised! Were any of those songs hits back in the day? :p
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dire Straits, Chris Rea, Chris De Burgh. Grandad music.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cheeky Girls
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that appears on Jools Holland's abysmal show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    From my youth Andy Stewart and Jimmy Shand, even most people in Scotland would run a mile from this pair. I am a soldier, a Scottish soldier, nooooo!!1

Is it still obligatory for Scottish men to listen to The Corries after drinking too much whisky, at least once every few years?
  • Options
    MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Were ABBA ever considered unfashionable? They've probably made more money in the last twenty years than when they were together.

Abba were possibly the most unfashionable band of the 1980's. They were considered too mainstream, safe and being former Eurovision contestants didn't help matters. But anything associated with the 70's was the epitome of uncool. (If you were a youngster in the 80's, you had to make sure your drainpipes had no sign of a flare or risk fashion humiliation)

Barry Manilow was similarly uncool due to the 70's link. In the 80's Glenn Madeiros had a huge hit single despite looking a little suspiciously Manilow-esque. Things were going quite well for him until he made the fatal mistake of admitting he was actually an admirer of Manilow - his career immediately bombed!
    Another artist I remember who whilst releasing studio albums was deemed 'naff' and 'unfashionable' was Billy Joel.

However in the 20 plus years since his last pop studio album in 1993 he is now viewed in a completely different light and respected for his back catalogue and achievements possibly the ABBA effect. Younger generations don't have the stigma of those who actually were there at the time being shown cooler alternatives.

If the music is good enough, things will turn full circle and younger generations re-evaluate the music without the stigmas of the past.

Other bands to shed their uncoolness in later life: the Stranglers; Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Nickelback. I love them, but is there a more maligned band on the planet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Until the 90s, any progressive rock band that wasn't Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or
    Soft Machine. *

(I can remember Tom Dunne, Irish DJ and former punk, saying "If in the early 80s, you'd suggested to me listening to any prog album, I'd have probably thumped you!" )

* Maybe Can as well, but Michael Karoli seems to have denied that Can were ever prog.
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Until the 90s, any progressive rock band that wasn't Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or
    Soft Machine. *

(I can remember Tom Dunne, Irish DJ and former punk, saying "If in the early 80s, you'd suggested to me listening to any prog album, I'd have probably thumped you!" )

* Maybe Can as well, but Michael Karoli seems to have denied that Can were ever prog.

On that note Fish era Marillion were hated in the eighties by music snobs, they were doing Prog in the early eighties. I have been revisiting their work on Youtube recently and with the distance of time some of it is majestic. Look up Garden Party.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Is it still obligatory for Scottish men to listen to The Corries after drinking too much whisky, at least once every few years?

Only if you live in Brigadoon or believe Braveheart is historically accurate ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    On that note Fish era Marillion were hated in the eighties by music snobs, they were doing Prog in the early eighties. I have been revisiting their work on Youtube recently and with the distance of time some of it is majestic. Look up Garden Party.

Yeah, it'd be difficult to think of a band more at odds with the early 80s
    rock scene than Marillion. They've been pretty durable, though- they
    were still hitting the Top Ten in 2004.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it'd be difficult to think of a band more at odds with the early 80s
    rock scene than Marillion. They've been pretty durable, though- they
    were still hitting the Top Ten in 2004.

They were one of quite a few, but they were the ones that 'made it big' so to speak. There were others who were much more akin to the prog of old, IQ in particular. I think Fish was the unique aspect they had that the others lacked. He and his old band are still going strong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    They were one of quite a few, but they were the ones that 'made it big' so to speak. There were others who were much more akin to the prog of old, IQ in particular. I think Fish was the unique aspect they had that the others lacked. He and his old band are still going strong

They weren't "neo-prog", but Camberwell Now (the later incarnation
    of This Heat ) were an 80s band that did an unusual but engaging
    mix of prog, industrial music and post-punk.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T'Pau
  • Options
    Forum Member
    T'Pau

Really? I though people were had fond memories of Carol Decker's crowd.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    Sonia.

Sonia only performs at gay clubs nowadays- apparently she was tried of
    straight blokes making lecherous comments at her at regular gigs.