Options

N.I.C.E have rejected yet another breast cancer drug.......

imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
Forum Member
Because it's too expensive. I'm not the biggest fan of N.I.C.E and think they wield too much power, but is it worth spending £90.000 per person for something that will extend your life for another 6 months ?

Personally for me i think I would rather get the inevitable out of the way; although it's easy to say that whilst I'm not in that position

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11164121.Consultant_criticises_watchdog_s_refusal_to_back_cancer_drug/

Comments

• Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It's a sad state of affairs when somebody's life on earth is valued thus.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably cost a few quid to make by the pharmaceutical companies
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I wish the drug companies would lower their prices_lets not 100% let them off the hook.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking; and then one of their reps says:

Jayson Dellas, general manager of Roche Products Limited, said: “Roche is extremely disappointed that NICE has failed to safeguard the interests of patients with this advanced stage of aggressive disease.”

I'm thinking if you're so concerned why not put your prices down.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,049
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want NICE's job - given the NHS does not have unlimited funds, someone has to make the call on whether or not a treatment provides enough benefit for the cost, and that has to be done in a dispassionate way.

I know for someone with the type of cancer the drug impacts, 6 months extra time (on average) would be priceless
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs when somebody's life on earth is valued thus.

and yet you think proper inquests are a bad idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    and yet you think proper inquests are a bad idea.

Those people are already dead, so not really a comparison.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The second tablet, and every one after it, off the production line may take cost a "few quid" but the first one costs hundreds of millions of pounds in R&D and clinical trials.

There has to be a fair balance here. The pharmaceutical companies have to be able to make a profit in order to fund future research but the taxpayer cannot be expected to have a bottomless supply of money in order to buy the new treatments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The second tablet, and every one after it, off the production line may take cost a "few quid" but the first one costs hundreds of millions of pounds in R&D and clinical trials.

There has to be a fair balance here. The pharmaceutical companies have to be able to make a profit in order to fund future research but the taxpayer cannot be expected to have a bottomless supply of money in order to buy the new treatments.

What you say is true but it's not as though they are skint.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA3J08T20140420?irpc=932
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    What you say is true but it's not as though they are skint.

Of course they aren't skint. Curing disease is a very profitable business (because people survive to develop even more diseases), but they would be soon if they started giving away too many drugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Of course they aren't skint. Curing disease is a very profitable business (because people survive to develop even more diseases), but they would be soon if they started giving away too many drugs.

Who's talking about giving away?

Drugs companies have been accused of “highway robbery” of the NHS by using a legal loophole to push up the price of medicines in some cases by up to 2,000 per cent – at a cost to the taxpayer of tens of millions a year.

At least 15 drugs have substantially increased in price after being “flipped” from one firm to another, according to information obtained by doctors.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would pay the £90K if the NHS didn't but could not argue with them for making the judgement call on this drug.

Strange how the NHS is often criticized for having a post code lottery on drugs and treatment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roche

46 billion CHF sales - 18 billion CHF profit. (2013) That appears to be nearly 40% gross margin.

The research budget was 9.2 billion CHF in 2010. You can see why drug companies are making such large profits and having a merger spree
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Those people are already dead, so not really a comparison.

You can say that but you know you're inconsistent with your compassion (or more likely just saying things to get a reaction)
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    according to the BBC article on this decision
    The charity estimates some 1,500 women in Britain could benefit from Kadcyla every year.

so £90000 X 1500 is £135million a year. The NHS has limited resources, Money spent on this drug would mean money not spent elsewhere. As harsh as this decision sounds I feel that NICE have made the right decision.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Not wishing to sound heartless, but it's "up to six months" not "you will live six months longer". No mention either of the quality of life for those extra six months.

Plus there is only a 1 in 5 chance (20%) it will work.

I know that no comfort to the families of those it may help, but those seem pretty poor statistics for something that is being charged at £90,000 per person.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so £90000 X 1500 is £135million a year. The NHS has limited resources, Money spent on this drug would mean money not spent elsewhere. As harsh as this decision sounds I feel that NICE have made the right decision.

and of course, this is just one drug we are talking about, I wonder how many more drugs are turned down by NICE on cost. Sadly if the go-ahead was given on all drugs by NICE the cost would be billions of pounds.

It is all too easy to look at one solitary case without looking at the whole picture. Just one occasion might well be OK and the cost affordable but then multiply that by the number of patients that would require and benefit all be it temporary from these drugs and it is evident with the best will in the world the cost is just prohibitive.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like IVF.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    You can say that but you know you're inconsistent with your compassion (or more likely just saying things to get a reaction)

I can say it because it's a fact. They're dead, and no amount of money (or inquiries) will bring them back. But whilst a person is alive, that's a harder thing to assign a monetary value to. The other thing to note of course is that I have different opinions about different things, and don't necessarily have a uniformly-biased view across every one of them.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have personally been affected by Cancer, with my Uncle dying of Bone Cancer (don't know exactly which type it was though) and my Nana dying of cancer now, after having breast cancer years ago only for it to return.

While I can see why some people would want this, I don't think it should be available on the NHS, it costs a lot of money at the moment, and it doesn't actually give the person a lot longer to live.

Now if this person wants to pay for this treatment themselves, then I do think it should be available to them if they want it, although personally I would rather save the £90,000 and then leave this money for my family for when the inevitable happens.

The loss of a loved on is heartbreaking, but having the money after their death means there are less worries after their death than if you spent that amount on the treatment.

I have always said that if I should get cancer, if a treatment would only give me the chance to live for a short period more, I would enjoy the little bit of life that I had left rather than going through the pain of treatment just to prolong the the inevitable anyway.

As the advert says, Cancer is a pratt!
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a preliminary report from NICE and not a final decision. This has happened before with other drugs and the pharmaceutical company has been forced to lower the price so it can be approved. At the end of the day the drug company stands to lose out if the drug doesn't get approved so it's in their interests to make the pricing more sensible.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not wishing to sound heartless, but it's "up to six months" not "you will live six months longer". No mention either of the quality of life for those extra six months.

Plus there is only a 1 in 5 chance (20%) it will work.

I know that no comfort to the families of those it may help, but those seem pretty poor statistics for something that is being charged at £90,000 per person.

I agree. It falls far short of an effective medicine when the statistics are evaluated, hence the NICE findings.

I often wonder why Big Pharma bothers wasting all this money in R&D for drugs that aren't that good - and then I realise, it's all about holding the desperate to ransom.

Meanwhile, they aren't bothering to research new antibiotics as we enter an age where bacteria have mutated to become increasingly resistant.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you bother? I know that might be easy saying this on a forum but don't bother is what I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often wonder why Big Pharma bothers wasting all this money in R&D for drugs that aren't that good - and then I realise, it's all about holding the desperate to ransom.

It's more to do with the fact that if we ever want a cure for cancer (or rather cancers as they are all different) then there will be many stepping stones along the way of drugs which "aren't that good". It's not money wasted just as plane, TV and car designers went through many models which were fairly rubbish by modern standards.

We aren't many years away from having the ability to design drugs for specific a patient's DNA rather than the population as a whole in Personalised Medicine. Even the best drugs don't work on everyone and the side effects can be unpredictable at best and lethal at worst.