Options

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (UCL Semi-final first leg)

Comments

• Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    sorry, but where did I say it was easy? it's just stupid to try and pretend that was the only way Chelsea could get anything out of last night.

No its not the only way BUT it is the most logical and sensbile one

Its like anything else you look at what you want the result of the project to to be, You look at the options available to you and what one is best suited to your strengths and take that option.

Jose's strength is in his defensive work. You would not expect a attacking coach to turn into a defensive one overnight so dont see why you would expect a defensive coach turn into a attacking one overnight.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    its not the ONLY way, but it is an option, one mourinho is comfortable with and has provided him with lots of success in the past.

there is not set way to play the game, its all about winning and chelsea have given themselves a good chance to do that.

tiki taka is not the be all and end all, chelsea didnt park the bus imo but they were v defensive, its a valid tactic to employ.

barca play great football but likelihood is they will finish this season trophy less, chelsea might play a brand less pleasing on the eye but win the prem and champions league so for anyone to criticise them is crazy. Its a results business and you do what works best for you,not for others.
    the constant citing of Barca in these conversations is rather ill-advised, given that they've won WAY more than any other team in recent years.

you're absolutely correct that there's more than one way to approach the game, but I can still comment if I find it negative and dull, can I not? the same guy you're defending constantly criticises whenever it's done against him, does he not?
    Where did I say it's the only way? You're the one that harps on like the game should only be played a certain way, and is so dismissive of anything else. It's about playing percentages, rather than unnecessarily throwing caution to the wind. It's the half way point in the tie, you don't go all out to win the first leg away from home if a draw's a perfectably acceptable result. If we had done that and lost I'm sure you would have been calling Mourinho tactically foolish (like people said about Ranieri in the CL semi 1st leg away to Monaco in 2004).
    1st bib - complete and utter nonsense

2nd bib - why are you so sure of that? on what exactly are you basing this assumption?

at the end of the day, you're entitled to play in whatever manner you see fit, but people are also entitled to comment as they see fit. Atletico are a very good team, but they're not yet a top team, and have neither the money, the players, or the experience that Chelsea do, so IMO the way Chelsea approached the game was cowardly. they may well end up winning the tie, and fair play to them if they do, but no-one on this forum or anywhere else is going to convince me they wouldn't have been able to do so with a more positive approach. you like the way they went about it, or are fine with it, that's fine....I don't, and that should be fine too.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cannot defend jose for that, was silly to mock psg for defending.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiki taka is not the be all and end all, chelsea didnt park the bus imo but they were v defensive, its a valid tactic to employ.

barca play great football but likelihood is they will finish this season trophy less, chelsea might play a brand less pleasing on the eye but win the prem and champions league so for anyone to criticise them is crazy. Its a results business and you do what works best for you,not for others.

Yeah because there is only tika taka and parking the bus and nothing in between? To claim they didnt park the bus is an understatement. They had 9 men behind the ball for most of the game and left Torres isolated. If thats not parking the bus I dont know what is.

I do laugh at the Mourinho defence force who seem to always bring up Barcelona to justify the negativity of Mourinho.

Do Real Madrid play Tika Taka, do Bayern, do Liverpool, do Dortmund? do Man City?

All those sides seem to be able to attack with purpose, speed, and numbers without replicating the Tika Taka of Barcelona.

I dont see why its so hard to accept that the same "19th century" football which Mourinho seems to criticise others of adopting is the same football he gets his own side playing. In other words his a hyprocrite!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Yeah because there is only tika taka and parking the bus and nothing in between? To claim they didnt park the bus is an understatement. They had 9 men behind the ball for most of the game and left Torres isolated. If thats not parking the bus I dont know what is.

I do laugh at the Mourinho defence force who seem to always bring up Barcelona to justify the negativity of Mourinho.

Do Real Madrid play Tika Taka, do Bayern, do Liverpool, do Dortmund? do Man City?

All those sides seem to be able to attack with purpose, speed, and numbers without replicating the Tika Taka of Barcelona.

I dont see why its so hard to accept that the same "19th century" football which Mourinho seems to criticise others of adopting is the same football he gets his own side playing. In other words his a hyprocrite!!

but is this debate about him being a hypocrite? or is it about his style of football?

because there is nothing negative about the amount of success on his c.v
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're not the ones who brought up a game from 9 years ago. Yes Jose; I mean you!

Perhaps he reads your thread where he is mentioned more than just a bit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    This team has cost Roman almost one billion, i'm sure he's delighted to see them play like Stoke City.

No one's asking Chelsea to go all out attack, but there's a difference between playing defensively and setting up to stop the opposition from playing, Mourinho did this against United and Arsenal away this season and grabbed the 0-0 draws he craved so much, with a little bit more adventure in those games (they're hardly Europe's elite) they would have been in a much better position in the Premier League table going into the big game this weekend where they might have only needed a draw, alas Jose played it safe in those two winnable games and now they need a win at Anfield with a Champions League semi final 2nd leg coming up along with injuries now mounting.

Parking the bus will get you results, sure, but it can also backfire, Atletico don't need to win at Stamford bridge, Chelsea will have to attack and Atletico only need a score draw to go through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leinxus wrote: »
    This team has cost Roman almost one billion, i'm sure he's delighted to see them play like Stoke City.

No one's asking Chelsea to go all out attack, but there's a difference between playing defensively and setting up to stop the opposition from playing, Mourinho did this against United and Arsenal away this season and grabbed the 0-0 draws he craved so much, with a little bit more adventure in those games (they're hardly Europe's elite) they would have been in a much better position in the Premier League table going into the big game this weekend where they might have only needed a draw, alas Jose played it safe in those two winnable games and now they need a win at Anfield with a Champions League semi final 2nd leg coming up along with injuries now mounting.

Parking the bus will get you results, sure, but it can also backfire, Atletico don't need to win at Stamford bridge, Chelsea will have to attack and Atletico only need a score draw to go through.

Think you will find its losing to lower teams that has cost them the title and not games against the top teams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

surely the fact he is still in title race with 3 games to go shows that he may have made a good decision? had he lost those they would be done now.

attacking football doesnt equal wins all the time after all
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Much as I respect Jose, yesterday was a turgid bore that can only have pleased Chelsea fans. It was almost a new sub-type: counter-counter-attacking football. I guess he is playing to injuries right now but I can't help feeling Atletico could have been taken last night. Near-genius that he is though, he'll probably turn it round next leg. I wonder if he's already sacrificed the Pool match. I hope not...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I respect Jose, yesterday was a turgid bore that can only have pleased Chelsea fans. It was almost a new sub-type: counter-counter-attacking football. I guess he is playing to injuries right now but I can't help feeling Atletico could have been taken last night. Near-genius that he is though, he'll probably turn it round next leg. I wonder if he's already sacrificed the Pool match. I hope not...

i am a neutral and can only respect that display from chelsea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was not aware he had to please fans of other clubs as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    surely the fact he is still in title race with 3 games to go shows that he may have made a good decision? had he lost those they would be done now.

attacking football doesnt equal wins all the time after all
    the other side of that argument is, had they won those games they'd now be top and title favourites instead of Liverpool
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the other side of that argument is, had they won those games they'd now be top and title favourites instead of Liverpool

of course that's the other side of the argument, that was the point i was responding too.

there is always a flip side to it all so lets not pretend that had they attacked in those 2 games they would be top right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not. if anything, it's you and the others trying to make out they'd have lost had they been more positive, or playing like that was the only way to get a result and/or avoid getting beaten

I'm just commenting that I find it horrible to watch, not to mention cowardly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not. if anything, it's you and the others trying to make out they'd have lost had they been more positive, or playing like that was the only way to get a result and/or avoid getting beaten

Once again the solution to avoiding something you don't like to watch is quite simple
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes we all know one of the teams you support is Barcelona. Not everyone can play like them and sometimes they don't always win playing like that. In fact, quite often now.
    There is nothing cowardly playing a defensive game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Once again the solution to avoiding something you don't like to watch is quite simple
    or I can watch it and give my opinion afterwards, which is even simpler.
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Yes we all know one of the teams you support is Barcelona. Not everyone can play like them and sometimes they don't always win playing like that. In fact, quite often now.
    can you point me to just one instance where I've claimed Chelsea (or anyone else, for that matter) need to play like them? are the two extremes really the only way to approach the game?

it's not for me to say how anyone should or shouldn't play, but I'm allowed to have an opinion on what I see. I don't see the problem...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am not a fan of the Barca style of football, I can see the way they will play by looking at the players picked for a game and the formation they are playing and my knowledge of the type of football they play and the mindset of the players and the manager so just wont bother watching it (unless of course they playing Chelsea who are my club). I enjoy watching some other clubs and will watch them if they are on but Barca 9/10 I will not bother watching

I just struggle to understand why people would watch something they know they are not going to enjoy and then talk about not enjoying it and how bad it is after watching it week in week out, Is it like when people watch the latest "big" tv show just so they can talk about it with friends etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or I can watch it and give my opinion afterwards, which is even simpler.can you point me to just one instance where I've claimed Chelsea (or anyone else, for that matter) need to play like them? are the two extremes really the only way to approach the game?

it's not for me to say how anyone should or shouldn't play, but I'm allowed to have an opinion on what I see. I don't see the problem...

But why watch something you dont like? Ok if you enjoy "not enjoying" something thats cool but for me if I dont like something I avoid it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched because I thought it would be an interesting game of football. that can't be THAT hard to understand, surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i have not made anything out thank you very much, football is not an exact science, there is no 100% successful tactic. As has been said many times now the manager employs the tactic he thinks gives his side the best chance of progression. it might work, it might fail, there is no point pretending what could have happened as none of us have a clue.

if you find it hard to watch thats your issue, if you think its cowardly i would put it to you that you dont understand this beautiful game at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Think you will find its losing to lower teams that has cost them the title and not games against the top teams.

United have not been a top team this season, they've been there for the taking, a draw by a top team against United this season is considered two points dropped, not one point gained since United have been at their weakest in years but of course, what does Jose do? Play it safe and park the bus to get the draw, that's two points dropped, something which could cost Chelsea very dearly now.
    are the two extremes really the only way to approach the game?

No, but unfortunately it's one of the few defences they have, 'Well, what do you expect us to do? Go all out attack and get destroyed?!'.

No ones asking Chelsea to go all guns blazing, counter attacking football is perfectly fine but last night only one team was playing, the other was just packing the box like it was the 95th minute and one goal was going to knock them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    United have not been a top team this season, they've been there for the taking, a draw by a top team against United this season is considered two points dropped, not one point gained since United have been at their weakest in years but of course, what does Jose do? Play it safe and park the bus to get the draw, that's two points dropped, something which could cost Chelsea very dearly now.

No, but unfortunately it's one of the few defences they have, 'Well, what do you expect us to do? Go all out attack and get destroyed?!'.

No ones asking Chelsea to go all guns blazing, counter attacking football is perfectly fine but last night only one team was playing, the other was just packing the box like it was the 95th minute and one goal was going to knock them out.

both teams were playing. it ended a draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched because I thought it would be an interesting game of football. that can't be THAT hard to understand, surely?

So you thought watching Chelsea with the team that was known at least a hour before kick off, With a manger known for his defensive mindset and one that is really struggling for goals and playing away from home in the 1st leg would be interesting game? In a defensive way (which it was always going to be) it was very interesting.

It was a game that lived up to everything anyone who has watched Chelsea a handful of times this season and even the smallest amount of knowledge of the manager would have expected.

Yet the same people who moan about "Jose's Style" of football continue to be surprised when they dont like what they seeing and yet next week are sitting down to watch one of his teams play again, Its like complaing about the boat sinking at the end of the film the titanic.