Options

Benny Hill

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I've just realised that Patrick Stewart's character in Extras could only have been based on Benny Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSfEYltKA8
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well apparently it was expected of some of 'Benny's Girls' or whatever they were called that they should give him a 'hand' now and again, so to speak.

I don't know if this is 100% true, but I vaguely recall one of the women stating that this was the case.

They were called Hill's Angels.

I also vaguely remember watching a documentary many years ago where this seemed to be confirmed and that occasionally he would get blow jobs too.

All allegedly of course as he's not here to confirm or deny.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    And yet your earlier post STATED that he led a grubby and seedy life instead of saying that there was talk of him leading a grubby lifestyle. Stating things based on hearsay can damage someone's reputation. If he did, fair enough. But it's better to find out for sure first.

You might like to tell Google too:

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/the-truth-about-benny-hill/#_
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you went to blame anyone for his shows no longer being on TV then look no further than that unfunny pretentious pillock Ben Elton.

I don't recall Ben Elton being commissioning editor at ITV. Benny became unfashionable, but thats down to public taste rather than the individuals who were replacing Benny's style.
    Something that puzzles me though is that if Benny was so popular abroad why did he not make his own shows for the foreign market?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Benny Hill had moments of verbal and visual comic genius....

One of my favourite visual gags was the view of the old man from the back who appeared to be looking up at something. Interspersed with other sketches would be more and more people gathering round the man and also looking up to see what he might be looking at. Then at the end when there is quite a crowd, the original bloke turns round and walks off, revealing that he is in fact wearing a medical neck brace holding his head in that position. Very funny. :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is that anything to do with Google?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is that anything to do with Google?

Erm, I googled Benny Hill. Is it not blindingly obvious?
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Sue Upton, one of the Angels. According to Sue he was a perfect gentleman. He used to spend time with Sue and her husband and children at her home in Hornchurch. Sue's children appeared in a couple of shows.

When the biography came out after Benny's death Sue was furious about what had been written. She alway's maintains the book couldn't have been further from the truth.
  • Options
    Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Something creepy about him. Had my radar going even when I was a child. And Stanley Baxter and Dick Emery. His humour did not appeal to me, just a sad old lecherous man chasing women around trees. But then I don't like Ben Elton either. Psuedo working class, unfunny and fake.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I know Sue Upton, one of the Angels. According to Sue he was a perfect gentleman. He used to spend time with Sue and her husband and children at her home in Hornchurch. Sue's children appeared in a couple of shows.

When the biography came out after Benny's death Sue was furious about what had been written. She alway's maintains the book couldn't have been further from the truth.

That's what I've always heard.
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Can't say I liked much of his comedy, but some of it was funny. I think that he was "of his time". That said, there were other comedians (such as Charlie Chaplin, of all people) who rated his comedic talent very highly. I am as funny as a dose of the clap, so who am I to judge?

There have been nasty rumours circulating for years, but I think they are really based on two or three reports that have been repeated and recirculated, creating an echo chamber. On the other hand, there have been many people, male and female, including those who worked closely with him, who have publicly declared him to have been unfailingly polite and respectful. I saw an interview on Youtube once (a clip from a tv documentary), with a prostitute who listed Hill as one of her clients. She said that their meetings occasionally involved sex, but more often than not he just wanted to enjoy a woman's company and they would watch tv together or just chat about mundane things like the weather.

Like many comedians, whatever else he was, he does seem to have been a desperately lonely man.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I used to see him now and again in a pub in Teddington, when I worked there (Teddington, not the pub). It wasn't far from the Thames studio.

He'd be sat in the back bar, minding his own business.
    The back bar was full of old Thames Studio props, including a stuffed camel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, I googled Benny Hill. Is it not blindingly obvious?

It's not Google's site though. Google only has the site in its search results. Are you seriously suggesting that Google should go visiting every single site in their search results just to check to see if there's any claims that could damage a living/dead celebrity's reputation? Seriously? Google can't help what sites in their search results have in their webpages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Google's site though. Google only has the site in its search results. Are you seriously suggesting that Google should go visiting every single site in their search results just to check to see if there's any claims that could damage a living/dead celebrity's reputation? Seriously? Google can't help what sites in their search results have in their webpages.

Yes, yes I am,

That's exactly what I was suggesting with an offhand remark about google and using it to search for news on the internet.

Google are SOLELY responsible for Benny Hill's tarnished reputation.

Or maybe I was simply trying to make the point that some stories are out there and 'finding out for sure' if something is true or not can be a minefield.

Jeez. This is hard work.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Benny Hill...

His songs are class . .

"Now there’s a rose for the way my spirits rose when we met
    A forget-me-not to remind me to remember not to forget
    A pine tree for the way I pined over you
    And an ash for the day I ashed you to be true"

My Garden of Love
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes I am,

That's exactly what I was suggesting with an offhand remark about google and using it to search for news on the internet.

Or maybe I was simply trying to make the point that some stories are out there and 'finding out for sure' if something is true or not can be a minefield.

Jeez. This is hard work.

How can that be? Google is a search engine, you could search on Yahoo or Bing and it may bring up the same pages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    The guy was a perv
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    he was very clever with words, shame most only remember him for his chasing girls sketch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    i am sure i read bob monkhouse saying BH used prositutes but who knows.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,882
    Forum Member
    When they ve finished the Benny Hill TV biog....
    no need to stop there's plenty more....

Why not a Dick Emery TV Biog ?
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she_said wrote: »
    i am sure i read bob monkhouse saying BH used prositutes but who knows.

I think if we started to measure a person (man) on whether they have ever been with a prostitute you would find that it is a lot lot more than you think. There must be 1000's of prostitutes working in the UK, someone is using them, you would be very surprised at just who does, I know I was! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I used to see him now and again in a pub in Teddington, when I worked there (Teddington, not the pub). It wasn't far from the Thames studio.

He'd be sat in the back bar, minding his own business.
    The back bar was full of old Thames Studio props, including a stuffed camel.

The kings head :) they have loads of photos on the wall of Benny when he was a regular in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes I am,

Jeez. This is hard work.

Which is why stated comments that could harm a dead celebrity's reputation should only be put in posts when there's evidence to back it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    How can that be? Google is a search engine, you could search on Yahoo or Bing and it may bring up the same pages.

I think they were using sarcasm in the first half of their post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julia_Webb wrote: »

*whoosh*