Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    FOM Fan, can you name five ways that FIA and/or FOM actively promote Formula 1 in a positive light? Because I'm struggling to think of any, let alone five.

I don't like many of Saward's articles, but he's bang on the money here. Also, journalists have a right to criticise what they are seeing. Its what they are there for, and its also called a free press.
    Admittedly I can think of four at the moment:
    1. Formula1.com's articles - well-informed & detailed.
    2. World Feed & the extra chanels FOM produce offer a wealth of coverage.
    3. The F1 App's exclusive videos (which at a *one-off* payment of 10 pounds, is hardly expensive for a season's access, if you think that is expensive, I'm sorry but it's not the 1970s any more) are up to about 45mins to an hour of exclusive content, fronted by well known & respected personel such as Gary Anderson.
    4. Plenty of fan activity & involvement at the track.

But what do lets say the organisers of the WEC offer that's a substantial improvement on what FOM does aside from a live stream (which we get for free with the BBC's races anyway - whereas this year in the WEC we have to pay for it) of all events bar Le Mans? A god-awful TV advert on minority-reach TV stations is the only thing i've seen.

What I will say is that while I think making F1 streaming free (this is their proposed in-house platform i'm talking about here) would be madness - F1 is worth paying for, though you have to get the cost right depending on the amount of features offered, I would like to see FOM make the Support Package (GP2, GP3, Porsche) free to stream officially, as they get next to no domestic coverage or promotion, amongst the general public, which I feel is a shame.

This may be unpopular, but I feel that F1's own "official" promotional efforts are often drowned out by the increasing plethora of journalists these days. I think that maybe the FIA should restrict media access to a few trusted figures, and kick out the doom-mongers, whom all they do is post negative articles. You're hardly promoting the sport by allowing such negative articles to be written time & time again from the actual event. Less people will care if it's known that the journalist doesn't actually attend the Grands Prix they're supposed to be writing about.
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113621

yes of course, the thing we've all been complaining about is the lack of glowing brake discs :o

I cannot think of a single person complaining about brake discs, sparks or vapour trails as mentioned in that article. Sparks in particular have been absent for, what, two decades now or something? :confused:

Bahrain this year showed that if you just get the racing right, nobody really cares about anything else. Not even the engine noise, and certainly not other gimmicks.

Sure the viewing figures may not have been great, but that must be at least partly a result of it being a BBC highlights show that wasn't on until around 10pm. Sparks and glowing brake discs ain't gonna fix that, or the perception of the racing from the opening two rounds.
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Glowing brake discs & sparks are something I'm fine with as they're an element in many other racing series around the world, however standing starts behind safety cars, which sorta defeats the point of a safety car anyway IMO is a bit too far however.

Indeed, so basically they're suggesting going back to red flagging the race like 20 years ago :o Perhaps we can go back to running on aggregate times too :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    I cannot think of a single person complaining about brake discs, sparks or vapour trails as mentioned in that article. Sparks in particular have been absent for, what, two decades now or something? :confused:

Bahrain this year showed that if you just get the racing right, nobody really cares about anything else. Not even the engine noise, and certainly not other gimmicks.

Sure the viewing figures may not have been great, but that must be at least partly a result of it being a BBC highlights show that wasn't on until around 10pm. Sparks and glowing brake discs ain't gonna fix that, or the perception of the racing from the opening two rounds.

Indeed, so basically they're suggesting going back to red flagging the race like 20 years ago :o Perhaps we can go back to running on aggregate times too :p
    People see the classic years through rose-tinted glasses anyway, the majority of the 80s stuff shown on channels lile SSF1 has been highlights anyway. The 80s races are just as dull as some of the ones today IMO.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »

I seem to remember seeing them at Singapore.
    People see the classic years through rose-tinted glasses anyway, the majority of the 80s stuff shown on channels lile SSF1 has been highlights anyway. The 80s races are just as dull as some of the ones today IMO.

You dont like racing, so thats not a suprise. :p
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,401
    Forum Member
    The proposals to make F1 more spectacular are like double points the answer to a question that nobody is asking & does nothing about the other issues F1 needs to sort out.

How about focusing on what actually needs fixing? Making the cars more able to race closely (Without needing gimmicks), Better distribution of the vast amounts of cash which F1 rakes in, Ensuring larger/heavier drivers are not penalized & having to starve themselfs to meet the weight limits to name a few.

The main focus should be on the racing, Thats why people watch & why people keep watching. A good race won't be made better by adding visual spectacle & its certainly not going to make a bad race more interesting.

I'm not really against any of these things been a part of F1, If the cars spark & brake discs glow then fine but I think spending time thinking about how to do these things in these 'strategy meetings' is a complete waste of time & takes the focus away from the more important areas which these people should be focusing on. These things should be the afterthought not the main ideas.

As to the other things,
    A standing SC restart is a ridiculous idea. You may as well just ditch the SC & bring out the red flag like the old days.
    Likewise shorter races, Whats the point of that? Its something which most fans have said repeatedly in the past that they are against.
    More technology in the pit stops, Again why is that been put forward as a main focus?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Excuse my ignorance, but I've seen a lot mentioned recently on here about WEC
    I thought from some of the posts it was some sort of TV service.
    But is seems to be a 6 hour endurance racing series, like 24 Le Mans and from looking on their website it seems to be including Le Mans listed as an event.
    Having watched Le mans for many years on TV and attended the track for many long weekends back in the 1990s, I never knew that Le Mans was part of a series like this. I always thought Le Mans was owned by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest or has it chnaged this year?

Would be nice if there was a timing type app and some better tv coverage of Le Mans, is it on Eurospsort this year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but I've seen a lot mentioned recently on here about WEC
    I thought from some of the posts it was some sort of TV service.
    But is seems to be a 6 hour endurance racing series, like 24 Le Mans and from looking on their website it seems to be including Le Mans listed as an event.
    Having watched Le mans for many years on TV and attended the track for many long weekends back in the 1990s, I never knew that Le Mans was part of a series like this. I always thought Le Mans was owned by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest or has it chnaged this year?

Would be nice if there was a timing type app and some better tv coverage of Le Mans, is it on Eurospsort this year?
    It was part of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup in 2011, which morphed into the WEC in 2012.

All races bar Le Mans in previous years were streamed officially - using RLM for commentary on Dailymotion for free, as well as being broadcast on Motors TV in the same manner. Le Mans however has long been a Eurosport exclusive as far as broadcast and streaming have been concerned.

This year, the organisers have put the streaming (and I believe the timing too) behind a paywall, both on Desktop and via an app. According to the app, the app will be providing streaming for Le Mans (outside of Eurosport for the first time), but it seems that that option won't be available on the desktop streaming portal, for now...

The WEC is a joint ACO/FIA series, and Le Mans is a double points round in the Championship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    I seem to remember seeing them at Singapore.

You dont like racing, so thats not a suprise. :p
    I like racing, for crying out loud... Just not bike racing or to a lesser extent, spec series.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was part of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup in 2011, which morphed into the WEC in 2012.

All races bar Le Mans in previous years were streamed officially - using RLM for commentary on Dailymotion for free, as well as being broadcast on Motors TV in the same manner. Le Mans however has long been a Eurosport exclusive as far as broadcast and streaming have been concerned.

This year, the organisers have put the streaming (and I believe the timing too) behind a paywall, both on Desktop and via an app. According to the app, the app will be providing streaming for Le Mans (outside of Eurosport for the first time), but it seems that that option won't be available on the desktop streaming portal, for now...

The WEC is a joint ACO/FIA series, and Le Mans is a double points round in the Championship.

And to add to that, all WEC rounds are shown live on Motors TV (and partially live on Eurosport) so you don't need the app to watch them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Cannot say I care about the other races, only Le Mans, so will not be using or paying for the app then, as it does not include Le Mans.

I always thought the Le Mans cars were mainly built just for Le Mans 24 hour, seems I was wrong.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member

You know what, FOM Fan makes a valid point here. A lot of the f1 people watched in the 80s was in highlights form, so a lot of the more tedious racing could be edited out and never be seen by our eyes. Am sure if we'd had wall to wall live coverage back then there would have been plenty of dull racing that we'd have complained about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Cannot say I care about the other races, only Le Mans, so will not be using or paying for the app then, as it does not include Le Mans.

I always thought the Le Mans cars were mainly built just for Le Mans 24 hour, seems I was wrong.
    Nope. Even before the ILMC and the WEC we had The American Le Mans Series & the European Le Mans Series (then renamed to just the Le Mans Series), although for all of those, Le Mans was not part of the championship, just a standalone event.

Also, apparently the paid app on Android and iOS *Will* be including live coverage of Le Mans, but the desktop app will not be, so far...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    And to add to that, all WEC rounds are shown live on Motors TV (and partially live on Eurosport) so you don't need the app to watch them.
    Not to be picky but I did say that: "as well as being broadcast on Motors TV in the same manner." :P

Le Mans itself is only broadcast live on Eurosport however, with Eurosport's own commentary team.
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to be picky but I did say that: "as well as being broadcast on Motors TV in the same manner." :P

Le Mans itself is only broadcast live on Eurosport however, with Eurosport's own commentary team.

Although, and no offence Carlton K whose cycling commentaries especially with Kenny Van Vlaminck I really enjoy (this years Paris Roubaix for example), it just has to be RLM for commentary, the best there is, period - underlined about 10 times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    Although, and no offence Carlton K whose cycling commentaries especially with Kenny Van Vlaminck I really enjoy (this years Paris Roubaix for example), it just has to be RLM for commentary, the best there is, period - underlined about 10 times.
    Yes, that's what annoys me is that unlike the other rounds (that are broadcast on Motors TV and the WEC online stream), there's no official Le Mans stream or broadcast with RLM commentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what annoys me is that unlike the other rounds (that are broadcast on Motors TV and the WEC online stream), there's no official Le Mans stream or broadcast with RLM commentary.

LeMans is an ASO run event if memory serves, and they tend to contract out coverage to tv stations to stream, I know I go back to cycling again but as the ASO run that too, they only gave ITV the rights to stream LeTour a few years ago (I'm sure Arius will correct me). Before that I was steaming audio only from OLN in the US at work as ITV didn't have live rights at the time, so for some events it's different. The Giro d'Trentino, a high class cycling event has NO TV coverage at all anywhere, not even from the event! Mind you I have to say using RLM on Tunein with Eurosport pictures synchs up beautifully, bang on!
  • Options
    Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Admittedly I can think of four at the moment:
    1. Formula1.com's articles - well-informed & detailed.
    2. World Feed & the extra chanels FOM produce offer a wealth of coverage.
    3. The F1 App's exclusive videos (which at a *one-off* payment of 10 pounds, is hardly expensive for a season's access, if you think that is expensive, I'm sorry but it's not the 1970s any more) are up to about 45mins to an hour of exclusive content, fronted by well known & respected personel such as Gary Anderson.
    4. Plenty of fan activity & involvement at the track.

You're losing your touch....

1. That website is more sycophantic than a North Korean newspaper, they only ever publish positive articles, the articles never have any depth or insight. They're a regurgitation of driver quotes and the most banal interviews.

2. The world feed is unavailable direct.....can you access it when the BBC isn't showing the race live? No you can't. It's access on FOM's terms only and that is restricted to the home country's broadcasting deal(s). You can't stream direct yourself or even have the option. You can't access the huge archive of past races, and the way FOM go all out to remove YouTube vids is a bit unnecessary.

3. The app, I do agree the cost is small

4. Plenty of fan involvement at the track? Have you actually been to a race before?? The only fan involvement for the majority of people is a glimpse of a driver in the pit lane or when they drive past in the drivers parade. The average punter is kept at a deliberately at arms length on the outside of the circuit. The amount of 'fanzone' attractions has been steadily decreasing year on year at the British GP. You could visit the Pirelli stand and treat yourself to a rubber key ring I suppose. Contrast that to this years WEC where I was able of my own free accord to walk into the paddock....that would cost me 000's on a F1 weekend. Even at the races there's no longer a FIA or FOM standard....it's just merchandise stalls. The teams themselves no longer bother putting up there own stand. I remember going to my first GP in 2008, visting all the teams individual stands, being handed a copy of the red bull bulletin etc....all of that is now gone.

F1 does a p*** poor job of promoting itself. To the outside world it appears a money dominated morally corrupt business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite true, you can't get even close to an f1 race, while at last years DTM at Brands, spent a good hour walking up an down the pitlane, they even did rolling tyre changes in front of us which was great. Met Toto Woolf, almost got run over by Suzi Woolf on a scooter, chatted to Gary Paffett, Jenson was mobbed so couldn't get close, saw Paul DiResta and all that was just walking around the area between races. Great races too, yes even the DTM, and on one of the supports saw a crash right in front of us as we walked around the track. Brilliant day. Shame they're not doing it this year as it's 30 quid well spent.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,094
    Forum Member
    Agree with those saying it has to be RLM commentary. For me it has to be RLM commentary whether it's Le Mans or any other endurance race anywhere in the world. I always have Eurosport on mute for Le Mans, and listen to the RLM commentary. It's the only way I'll do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Agree with those saying it has to be RLM commentary. For me it has to be RLM commentary whether it's Le Mans or any other endurance race anywhere in the world. I always have Eurosport on mute for Le Mans, and listen to the RLM commentary. It's the only way I'll do it.

Its a long race, time for both. Eurosport have a decent team for Lemans and you cant miss Haven's 3am meltdown.
  • Options
    Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a long race, time for both. Eurosport have a decent team for Lemans and you cant miss Haven's 3am meltdown.

Defo agree on giving both of them a listen. I quite like Carlton, and Neville on the Eurosport commmentary for Le Mans. They do tend to get interesting guests on etc, I'm a bit hit n miss on Liz, depends if she's fishing for a drive that year.

Martin Haven is hilarious, I admire his passion but man he's one bitter soul! He always has a rant at some point. You grow to love it or ignore it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope to bring a tablet and stream ES this year, seems as if SFR has the best 3G coverage around the porsche curves.

Im told the english ES player will work in france.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what, FOM Fan makes a valid point here. A lot of the f1 people watched in the 80s was in highlights form, so a lot of the more tedious racing could be edited out and never be seen by our eyes. Am sure if we'd had wall to wall live coverage back then there would have been plenty of dull racing that we'd have complained about.

and even then, there were boring highlights. It's the nature of the sport.

Everyone is saying how good Bahrain was, but was that just cos the last few laps? Sure, the Merc drivers were racing and it was close, but before the safety car, Lewis was pulling away.

The FIA tried to recreate Canada with tyres, it didn't work cos it was a one off, circumstances, just as Bahrain was. Every now and then a football game will produce a 5-4 thriller, but it also produces plenty of 0-0 or 1-0 games which are a snoozefest, so does F1. It's sport
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »

Everyone is saying how good Bahrain was, but was that just cos the last few laps? Sure, the Merc drivers were racing and it was close, but before the safety car, Lewis was pulling away.

The FIA tried to recreate Canada with tyres, it didn't work cos it was a one off, circumstances, just as Bahrain was. Every now and then a football game will produce a 5-4 thriller, but it also produces plenty of 0-0 or 1-0 games which are a snoozefest, so does F1. It's sport

Lewis was on options, Rosberg on primes, the situation would be reversed for the last stint.

Equally, you can have a game with no goals but exciting end to end action.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,094
    Forum Member

Personally I disagree, for me, it's got to be RLM. Anything else is just........no. Don't get me wrong, I like Haven in a strange sort of way, but it has to be RLM. Only time it's not RLM for me is if I'm downstairs eating (in which case I automatically switch the TV to Eurosport regardless of whatever anyone else is doing and put up with their commentary), or if the internet for whatever reason isn't working, or RLM isn't working.
This discussion has been closed.