Options

Star Wars VII details officially announced

Comments

• Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No word yet, but I wonder if the 'street smart girl' and 'smart capable man' were cast from the open auditions? I mean, it wasn't just a shameless PR stunt. Was it? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who wasn't alive for the original trilogy (but thanks to my dad grew up watching and loving it) I was bitterly disappointed in the prequels. I am really excited about these films and I really hope they'll recapture some of the magic and great storytelling that was lost.
  • Options
    JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's bloody Lando!? Maybe Boyega is Son of Lando....
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    As someone who wasn't alive for the original trilogy (but thanks to my dad grew up watching and loving it) I was bitterly disappointed in the prequels. I am really excited about these films and I really hope they'll recapture some of the magic and great storytelling that was lost.

The only person involved with the franchise up to now who understood what was required was Irvin Kershner, who directed what is arguably the most respected of the movies to date. Whilst the story was Lucas', he doesn't have the ability as a director to get any kind of characterisation or performance from his actors. He just treats them like any other special effect.

Kershner made the point quite rightly on the commentary to The Empire Strikes Back that he had to make the audience believe that these were ordinary people, living in an extraordinary universe, but who still had all the same emotions as anybody else. They had to experience love, fear, separation, jealousy, hatred, friendship etc to make the audience engage with them. I think he managed it too, and it is telling that he got an absolutely superb performance out of the Yoda puppet, the later CGI versions coming nowhere near in terms of tangibility as a character.

I think Abrams has to concentrate on story first, character development next, and all the whizz-bang special effects as a mere mechanism for driving the first two, instead of Lucas' method of doing that back to front.
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please let it be good!
    I couldn't stand it if they were awful again!
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Max Von Sydow must be nearly 200 now.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if they just CGI'd him in :D

Darth Ming.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I think he'll be the son of the Black Bespin Security Guard from The Empire Strikes Back, whose toy was always the last figure on the hook in the toy aisle at Tesco. :D

Heh. A colleague - a self-confessed SW geek - says Daisy Ridley and Boyega are likely to be the leads.

He's not convinced that Boyega will appear as a son of Lando. It's more likely Boyega will be a Jedi apprentice and a direct descendant of Mace Windoo (Samuel L. Jackson), but he doesn't think Boyega will be related to anyone, anyway.

Adam Driver is an apprentice, who will be a friend-turned-foe. Ridley may be a descendant of Mara Jane. Issac will be Boyega's ally, and may be linked to Bobba Feten. Max von Sydow will be in a mentor role.

He's already laid down a fiver that Driver, Gleeson and Boyega are Jedi students when something happens, which will turn Driver and Boyega against each other. Ridley and Isaac will join in forces with Boyega and Gleeson against Driver.

That's what I've managed to catch so far, anyway. Most of what he said went *swoosh* over my head. I didn't mind because conversations with colleagues like this makes night shift totally bearable.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Heh. A colleague - a self-confessed SW geek - says Daisy Ridley and Boyega are likely to be the leads.

He's not convinced that Boyega will appear as a son of Lando. It's more likely Boyega will be a Jedi apprentice and a direct descendant of Mace Windoo (Samuel L. Jackson), but he doesn't think Boyega will be related to anyone, anyway.

Direct descendant? Very unlikely.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,049
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »

It is what happens when you win that all important chess game.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,049
    Forum Member
    I think Abrams has to concentrate on story first, character development next, and all the whizz-bang special effects as a mere mechanism for driving the first two, instead of Lucas' method of doing that back to front.

Agreed. I hope it doesn't go down the road as the glut of vacuous superhero movies of late, which frankly are pre school fodder. My main concern is Abrams himself, especially after the frankly soulless, thumbnail characterisation of Star Trek Into Darkness.

It does sound promising that they are using the same style of film as the originals so there is hope.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good move. There must be millions of fans (like me) of the original films who don't like the later ones, and this film will tap into that huge affection. The chance of seeing the original cast together again fills me with joy, so I'm greatly looking forward to this film, even if it is only as a nostalgia fest!
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Considering the time frame they are going for in-universe, it's a shame they haven't just gone with the Thrawn Trilogy.

Coming up with a story to top that one would be pretty difficult, but I suspect Luke, Han and Leia are going to be more secondary figures in the new films to the "younger / sexier" new generation cast.

(No word on General Antilles? :()
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed. I hope it doesn't go down the road as the glut of vacuous superhero movies of late, which frankly are pre school fodder. My main concern is Abrams himself, especially after the frankly soulless, thumbnail characterisation of Star Trek Into Darkness.

It does sound promising that they are using the same style of film as the originals so there is hope.

The only concern I have is something similar, that it will be good, and look good, and everybody will come out of the cinema smiling...then quickly forget about it, like what happens with most modern movies. I think the power to wow us and give us that sense of wonder has been lost. They can do anything now with special effects, nothing much surprises us anymore.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only concern I have is something similar, that it will be good, and look good, and everybody will come out of the cinema smiling...then quickly forget about it, like what happens with most modern movies. I think the power to wow us and give us that sense of wonder has been lost. They can do anything now with special effects, nothing much surprises us anymore.

i dunno, effects and story together can still live long in memory.

i know the total recall remake is something i still remember fondly
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So - Andy Serkis as Jar Jar Binks

you heard it here first.........
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »

no, I heard that from a colleague at 6am, and read it at least 5 times sicne then! ;)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,329
    Forum Member
    On the one hand it's almost certain to be a huge success. But on the other...

Back in '77 Star Wars changed the landscape. Now it returns to snugly fit in with it, taking its rightful place amidst superheroes and boy wizards - its own prodigy, in a way. I'm sure Abrams/Disney will do their utmost to keep the tills ringing, but there'll be no revolution, and probably no revelation either (a slick, safe, dewy-eyed affair I imagine). Fans will swoon with their wallets wide open, eager for the next serving. But so what?

It's all faintly depressing. Not about the product, but film as a global culture in general.

(And that's before we get to the almighty tsunami of fanwank that's bound to descend as the release date nears. I may build a shelter in the garden).
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really encouraged that they're moving in the right direction now, it all just feels like they know what they're doing.

I know JJ's work on Trek has its detractors, but I enjoyed BOTH films in a way none of the SW prequels managed, and if the way this project is moving, from the production team to the cast to the use of actual locations and 35mm/IMAX, (I mean come-one, Kathleen Kennedy recruiting two R2D2 engineers at a convention!) it all just feels right.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what do we actually know ?

do we know what characters the new actors are playing ? any story details at all ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i dunno, effects and story together can still live long in memory.

i know the total recall remake is something i still remember fondly

The special effects should only be used as a tool to tell a good story, with interesting and sympathetic characters. Without that, all the special effects in the world won't save it, and this was George Lucas' problem throughout the prequels. He concentrated too much on the technical wizardry, and forgot about the actors, dialogue, characters and performances. That's why they all sound completely bored delivering unnatural-sounding lines in monotonous voices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all faintly depressing. Not about the product, but film as a global culture in general.

I agree really. There really is a case of "Yawn - seen it all before" with new movies. The Marvel stuff coming out for example is really just superficial "Fast Food" type movie-making.

Sounds daft, but the last film that really did fill me with a sense of wonder as I sat through it at the cinema was Avatar, and even that doesn't stand up to repeat viewing.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's going to be Gollum.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no interest at all in episodes 1, 2 and 3 but I think I'l be back on board for this one.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It is what happens when you win that all important chess game.

Oh well played. :D