Options

Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid stupid girl.

I know her husband had one of the kids but I assume then she had the youngest? And I wonder how long that little one was left alone because she decided she wanted to get high... am just very glad the kiddie is far too young to remember anything.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid , stupid girl . No one to blame but herself .,
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really disappointed in her. It seemed she had totally turned her life around but it seems she was as selfish and awful as ever. How can someone portray themselves as this loving mother who was improved by the birth of their children when they are still doing drugs?

Now her own children will endure the same motherless upbringing she did and it's all down to her own self absorbed immaturity. Stupid doesn't begin to cover her actions.
  • Options
    debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    Nice to read some rational and compassionate perspective. And input from experts in the treatment field.

They are. I'm shocked at the ignorance and lack of understanding on here about the nature of addiction.

I agree. It's nice to see someone trying to look at the bigger picture amidst all the pointless vilification that's being directed at a young girl whose demons seemingly led to her death. Many of us need a crutch of some sort, whether it be illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco, OTC medication, affairs, the list goes on. Unfortunately while many of these things can be bad for us, others, like heroin can kill more quickly and unexpectedly, and it seems through her celebrity lifestyle Peaches had access to it. None of us know the why's and wherefores of this tragedy, and I personally would hate to add to her family's grief by condemning her on a public forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    debdaw wrote: »
    It's nice to see someone trying to look at the bigger picture amidst all the pointless vilification.

I think a lot of us are just really disappointed. I still think her death is incredibly sad, but there's no denying her stupidity surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    It depends on your experience of addicts. Mine, through work, is once that addiction takes hold many do become "scum" as you put it. They will lie, cheat steal, whatever it takes to feed their habit. They become totally devoid of any morals, ethics or whatever you want to call it. I've seen women lose their kids before theyll even try to lose their habit. I once saw a child that hadn't learned to walk or talk at age 3 because his junkie mother left him strapped in a buggy for most of his young life, his older sibling didn't know how to use a knife and fork. That's the reality of addicts in most people not the glamourous world of people like Peaches where everything is neatly cleaned up after them. Drugs are a choice. For every abuse victim that goes idown that route there are more that fight back against the odds and have relatively happy lives. Peaches Geldof had much more money, opportunities, support than these people. But imo her angst was a money spinner. Poor Paula's kids only washes for a while. When she had her own she had a responsibility to clean up.

I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way with regards to getting over abuse, some people are just stronger and more resilient than others and thats not something to put anyone down about. I have already said when innocent kids are being affected my sympathy for such people wanes, maybe you missed that post.

Taking drugs isn't always a rational 'choice', by the way. Some people hit such depths of despair they will do literally anything to ease the pain. When some desperate person sets themselves on fire would you say they are making a 'choice', in every sense of the word?

Nowhere in my post have I said I am feeling utter sympathy for Peaches, the whole situation is very sad but I feel worst for her 2 children.

Yes I agree addiction can and often does turn people into 'scum', just that a lot of junkies are not purely scum at heart and as people, the addiction makes them so. As said, my OH has several junkies and alcoholics in his immediate family, I have quite a lot of personal experience as does he. He never drinks (and seeing the ghastly effect it has on his family members, this doesnt surprise me lol), hates it and is totally against hard drugs aswell as he was bullied about his dads heroin addiction as a child/teen.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    The thought of her 11 month old, there by himself with his mothers dead body is very very unsettling indeed.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly cow. Shouldnt have taken heroin. Couldnt her family see what she was doing?
  • Options
    debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of us are just really disappointed. I still think her death is incredibly sad, but there's no denying her stupidity surely?

I think that's a bit simplistic really, we don't know exactly what happened or when, including her state of mind. But the main thing is that all the condemnation can only hurt her family who I'm sure are going through enough as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    debdaw wrote: »
    I think that's a bit simplistic really, we don't know exactly what happened or when, including her state of mind. But the main thing is that all the condemnation can only hurt her family who I'm sure are going through enough as it is.

There are always people who take things too far but I see absolutely nothing wrong with stating our feelings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thought of her 11 month old, there by himself with his mothers dead body is very very unsettling indeed.

Exactly. I think that's why some of us can't hold back our disappointment. So horrible for those poor little babies. :(
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Peaches dying really shocked and upset me,and finding out early this morning that heroin could have been used blew me away-i genuinely didn't expect that having followed her on instragram and always seeing the huge amount of videos and pictures she put up of her gorgeous babies and pets,
    I felt angry earlier i don't know why probably like you say as i felt disappointed at what i said was her stupidity,
    But the more i think about it the more sad i feel,yes for her as something must have been wrong in her mind to use heroin when ever she did,
    i find the inquest statement strange as it says that the recent use of heroin and the levels identified are highly likely to have played a role in her death-thats not saying a drugs overdose as such is it..or is it?
    What do other posters think that statement means??:confused:

But i have to say as knowing about addiction like i do i have to say "there for the Grace Of God go i..." and i don't think some posters on here realize that-

“There is a huge lack of understanding in the world and here in the UK about drug use and addiction. People take drugs to feel better but no one then chooses to be addicted to a substance. And this is the difficulty for people trying to get well, which so few people comprehend – when addiction takes over, the user no longer has any control." (Courtesy of The Telegraph):(
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    LOL heroin highs take SECONDS to hit. she'll just have drifted off & not woken up. Yes, leaving her son exposed OD or not.
    And the removal of the drugs items?? Looks like its pointing one way to me??

This is what bothers me. Would the use of not resulted in her being "out of it" for a period of time, or is it not always like that? The only way I can remotely reconcile it in my head is if she's put her baby to sleep and has used it late at night assuming she'd wake up in the morning.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Addicts are not known for their rationality. To call her stupid seems to me to be completely ignoring the fact that she had an addiction, or failing to understand how harsh its grip can be. It's a frightening thing, and a very difficult thing to manage. Far stronger people than Peaches sadly succumb to addiction every day of the week. Calling her stupid and being disappointmed by her is - imo - failing to understand how chronic and debilitating and bleak an illness it can be.

She relapsed. It happens. Just the nature of addiction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And for how long? :(

Was this little mite crawling around with the dogs, crying, hungry, while his mother lay dead?
  • Options
    lovinjonlovinjon Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why she would be so selfish... What if her son had fallen,or picked up her drugs and died..would so many of those sticking up for her be still doing so.
    There is no excuse.. Peaches killed Peaches ..no one else..

no you don't know why or what was going on, but I would of thought she deserved some compassion I dare say Peaches was unhappy most of her life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the fact she died so very young and left behind her babies and a partner and family who loved very terribly sad.

What I cannot understand or see as acceptable is the fact she took a drug that she knew killed her mother whilst she was meant to be looking after her baby.

Maybe she took it before she went to bed and assumed she would "wake up" in the morning but anything could of happened to her kid whilst she was off her head.

I understand that "addiction" can take over your life but putting an innocents childs needs so lower down than yours just because you need a "high"? I still think she was a very stupid young woman and terrible as it may sound at least nothing terrible happened to the baby.

She was stupid IMO because she knew, first hand, what the risks of taking heroin was and how the death of her own mother affected her but still she went ahead and took it even though she knew the risk of leaving her children to have the same upbringing she had, motherless.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addicts are not known for their rationality. To call her stupid seems to me to be completely ignoring the fact that she had an addiction, or failing to understand how harsh its grip can be. It's a frightening thing, and a very difficult thing to manage. Far stronger people than Peaches sadly succumb to addiction every day of the week. Calling her stupid and being disappointmed by her is - imo - failing to understand how chronic and debilitating and bleak an illness it can be.

You're right Bela ,x
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    And for how long? :(

Was this little mite crawling around with the dogs, crying, hungry, while his mother lay dead?

As a mother, the idea of that makes me sick to my stomach :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovinjon wrote: »
    no you don't know why or what was going on, but I would of thought she deserved some compassion I dare say Peaches was unhappy most of her life

Lots of us are unhappy for most of our lives but we don't turn to hard drugs and put a baby in danger because we put our own needs over theirs.

Weirdly I'm normally overly empathic to other peoples problems but in this case my empathy lies with the family she left behind and not her.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lovinjon wrote: »

I had compassion at first..but when I learnt she had been doing drugs whilst her baby was in the house..I soon lost it.. I'm sorry if that makes me a bad person for thinking that way. What would people be thinking if something had happened to her son because she was to high to notice?
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Lots of us are unhappy for most of our lives but we don't turn to hard drugs and put a baby in danger because we put our own needs over theirs.

Weirdly I'm normally overly empathic to other peoples problems but in this case my empathy lies with the family she left behind and not her.

Especially when she sold this image of the perfect parent..who put her children's needs above her own
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand how an addict's mind works but I still think "stupid" is a perfectly fair description of her death. It's just all so sad and didn't have to happen. Then there's the fact she had everyone believing she was this great mum who had turned her life around.

I do actually have great empathy for her, but I can still find her actions idiotic. It's not about being on a high horse or anything of that sort, just despairing at the poor children and family being left alone.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially when she sold this image of the perfect parent..who put her children's needs above her own

It was dreadful on April 7 to hear the young woman had died. Peaches can't be brought back to debate what killed her or discuss what a good mother is or should be.

I know nothing about heroin nor do I understand now it’s been announced it was a contributing factor in her death means either. What I do know is castigating her for what has already happened can't change anything. Nor does it lessen the fact that it’s no one but her family and those closest to her, not bystanders as we all are, who must cope and live on without her. Her babies are with their daddy and his family and it’s they and the whole of Peaches family who are the ones who must continue to cope without her. I only hope they all do.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    i find the inquest statement strange as it says that the recent use of heroin and the levels identified are highly likely to have played a role in her death-thats not saying a drugs overdose as such is it..or is it?
    What do other posters think that statement means??:confused:

It is confusing, Ella, as it leaves actual cause of death ambiguous...
    “There is a huge lack of understanding in the world and here in the UK about drug use and addiction. People take drugs to feel better but no one then chooses to be addicted to a substance. And this is the difficulty for people trying to get well, which so few people comprehend – when addiction takes over, the user no longer has any control." (Courtesy of The Telegraph):(

And that is the sad truth and the bottom line.