Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ_Tvll wrote: »
    BiB… I believe you are mistaken… he said that the wood had lost humidity and shrunk with time… that's why the bedroom doors didn't lock properly… and that's why he placed the cricket bat as added protection.

Hi AJ! I looked through the video testimony of Nel's cross to find where OP mentioned the bedroom doors swelling or shrinking or whatever, and sadly I could not find it. So I just wanted to apologize to you for my minor confusion about this issue. It appears that the two references that you provided are all that there are. BTW, OP uses the word "heat" not "humidity" when talking about the doors changing shape over time to the point that the locking pin can barely reach the other door.

Thank you again for providing those video references to me!
  • Options
    DonmackDonmack Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BiB… but how is Prosecution suppose to cross-examine if they don't know what will be presented ?

It would be ambush tactics, no ?

Would they ask for adjournment so that state expert could verify diagnosis…so more delays ??

The role of the defence is to defend against evidence presented by the prosecution.

So, if expert A says for the prosecution that x is true, then the defence can call expert B to say that x is wrong. They don't need to disclose this in advance.

In a case of self-defence or diminished responsibility, then the defence takes on a burden of proof to prove that there are medical details regarding their client that the court should consider. They can’t just say it, they have to prove it, with evidence. And I believe this evidence has to be disclosed to the prosecution so that they can counter if if they need to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    First, let us take notice that in chief OP testified about the boating accident…. this had nothing to do with any of the witnesses, Reeva or the charges against him…. BUT it was done with purpose.

Not hard to find a neurosurgeon (expert witness) that would interpret a cat-scan and find something that could possibly be a lesion or after-math of the boating accident.

That would open the door to a psychiatrist (also expert witness) to state that OP demonstrate classic signs of a dysexecutive syndrome.

This dysexecutive syndrome makes OP act and react to situations unreasonably in the eyes of a normal person.

Then the Defence could present some witnesses that have known OP for a very long time and that would say that OP's behavior has changed since the boating accident…

All these things would be hard for the Prosecution to discredit and complicate matters for the Judge.

The surgeon at the time was reported as saying "his brain was functioning normally" so I would assume from that they had done some sort of scan and from my limited knowledge of this, I would have thought that any bruising, lesions or swelling of the brain would be more likely to be detected at the time than 5 years later.

But you never know what an "expert" might come up with. Would rather leave the door open for just about any boxer in the world to commit murder and just say "my brain made me do it". (who used to say that?)
  • Options
    AJ_TvllAJ_Tvll Posts: 3,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi AJ! I looked through the video testimony of Nel's cross to find where OP mentioned the bedroom doors swelling or shrinking or whatever, and sadly I could not find it. So I just wanted to apologize to you for my minor confusion about this issue. It appears that the two references that you provided are all that there are. BTW, OP uses the word "heat" not "humidity" when talking about the doors changing shape over time to the point that the locking pin can barely reach the other door.

Thank you again for providing those video references to me!

Wow…completely forgot about that exchange….

No worries… my pleasure :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    col281 wrote: »
    The surgeon at the time was reported as saying "his brain was functioning normally" so I would assume from that they had done some sort of scan and from my limited knowledge of this, I would have thought that any bruising, lesions or swelling of the brain would be more likely to be detected at the time than 5 years later.

But you never know what an "expert" might come up with. Would rather leave the door open for just about any boxer in the world to commit murder and just say "my brain made me do it". (who used to say that?)

Not an expert…but I remember reading that brain lesions sometimes appear later on…

Meaning that a cat-scan right after the accident shows damage to the brain…it heals and appears normal in a later cat-scan…. but that some type of scaring can develop much later on.

Again…not really sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donmack wrote: »
    The role of the defence is to defend against evidence presented by the prosecution.

So, if expert A says for the prosecution that x is true, then the defence can call expert B to say that x is wrong. They don't need to disclose this in advance.

In a case of self-defence or diminished responsibility, then the defence takes on a burden of proof to prove that there are medical details regarding their client that the court should consider. They can’t just say it, they have to prove it, with evidence. And I believe this evidence has to be disclosed to the prosecution so that they can counter if if they need to.

Thanks for clarifications ! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for clarifications ! :)

I got the impression that OP brought up the boating accident as as way of saying that his brush with death had made him more scared of life generally and more inclined to want to protect it - hence blowing out his girlfriends brains because a magazine rack moved.
  • Options
    Eliza_MacleanEliza_Maclean Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    col281 wrote: »
    You've just got me looking thru Twitter at the various Pistorian ramblings.

Rarely a mention of Reeva.
    A multitude of religious quotes.
    Sycophancy towards the family which needs a sick bag to read.

And this from a family who list big game hunting amongst their hobbies. Carl just about got away with manslaughter of a female motorcyclist. Daddy Henke boasts of owning more than 50 guns.

I could go on.
    Maybe it's no wonder Oscar turned out the way he has.

So true. Like you say, maybe it's no wonder Oscar turned out the way he did. Sycophancy & a barf bag to read, so true. ---- You know, and that is where Oscar's arrogance towards Reeva came from, seeing she wasn't from such a "fancy" family (telling her not to chew gum and correcting her accent, etc. - her emails to him).
    One of the most upsetting moments of the trial for me was when Stipp, the doctor neighbour, recounted entering the living room where Oscar was with Reeva's dead body (allegedly dying but actually already dead), and Oscar praying out loud that he was going to devote "his life and her life (!)" to god if she survived. And I thought wow, how over-bearing do you have to be to dedicate another person's life to god (and then a life of someone you just killed .....). And somehow it is all there here in Carl Pistorius's tweets. Illusions of grandeur, too.
  • Options
    konyakonya Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    wow, Konya, where'd you find this? Really weird ..... did you scroll down? Obnoxious.

Yes I had a scroll, I find him 'odd' I can't put my finger on it, (nor would I want to ;-) )
    We were having a chat earlier about him calling his sister 'Princess' odd, just odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the impression that OP brought up the boating accident as as way of saying that his brush with death had made him more scared of life generally and more inclined to want to protect it - hence blowing out his girlfriends brains because a magazine rack moved.

Ludicrous…. but not surprising coming from OP :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So true. Like you say, maybe it's no wonder Oscar turned out the way he did. Sycophancy & a barf bag to read, so true. ---- You know, and that is where Oscar's arrogance towards Reeva came from, seeing she wasn't from such a "fancy" family (telling her not to chew gum and correcting her accent, etc. - her emails to him).
    One of the most upsetting moments of the trial for me was when Stipp, the doctor neighbour, recounted entering the living room where Oscar was with Reeva's dead body (allegedly dying but actually already dead), and Oscar praying out loud that he was going to devote "his life and her life (!)" to god if she survived. And I thought wow, how over-bearing do you have to be to dedicate another person's life to god (and then a life of someone you just killed .....). And somehow it is all there here in Carl Pistorius's tweets. Illusions of grandeur, too.

Totally irrelevant, but I have to say that your English is superb.

I am so ashamed that I can barely speak a word of another language.

I can just about ask how much a stamp is and where is the library in French, but that's it :(

Sorry, derail over.

EDIT: I'm lying actually. I have just remembered that I don't know what "stamp" is in French :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    konya wrote: »
    At approx 16.53 it sounds like OP says 'she was screaming' is this the bit you mean? :o
    You're welcome :)

OP was screaming, saying to Reeva " why are you calling the police" ;-)

:o Well even more so ties in to what I hear at 16.53 when I thought OP said 'she was screaming' I wonder if his brain had got confudled and he went back to that night in real terms rather than his bull?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Oscar and Mother Teresa ... very similar ;-) Not sure if she carried a Parabellum though.

:);-);-);-);-)
    Christopher Hitchens would have said she did .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can just about ask how much a stamp is and where is the library in French, but that's it :(

Sorry, derail over.

EDIT: I'm lying actually. I have just remembered that I don't know what "stamp" is in French :o

Stamp is timbre in french :)
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Two sets of bangs.

Defence say that the first set was the shots, the second set the cricket bat on the door.

Prosecution say the first set was the cricket bat (either on the door, the tiled wall next to it, the bath panel....they haven't expressly said yet) and the second set the gunshots.

A gunshot is somewhere around 1000 times louder than any noise a cricket bat can make hitting anything. Scientific fact.

There was a flurry of calls to security after the second set of bangs - no one called anyone about the first set.

Michelle Berger said the bangs she heard (around 3.15) went, bang.....bang bang bang.

Mangena said the placings of the bullet holes, plus the wounds, would have had gunshots going bang.....bang bang bang.

Ergo.....highly likely that the second set were the gunshots, and the female screams of terror that the FOUR ear witnesses heard were, indeed, a female screaming in terror.

The flurry of calls were actually just prior to the second set of bangs, it seems from the timings. Certainly the Burger/Johnson one was, and Dr Stipp had already embarked on his phone calls before the second set.
  • Options
    Fox_BluffFox_Bluff Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Looking back on OP's testimony, it appears to me that most of the explanations he gave ended up having to be explained by more explanations... the explanations were multiplying.

The simple truth is not that complicated IMO. Puts me in mind of "Occam's Razor," the theory that the simplest explanation for something is more likely to be the correct one.

I now think of OP's version(s) of events as: "Oscar's Razor"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, derail over.

Donmack, thnx for the compliment, but my English better be good, I'm American (!). From Chicago. It's my German that is good, German is my second language, I'm bilingual and I live in Germany (and I cannot remember what stamp is in French either .....). And Germans aren't paying enough attention to this trial, even though they have their fair share of domestic violence. ---- I'm so glad I found this place. I'm tired of Germans loftily saying he'll never go to prison, when they don't have the facts straight. and on a *tangerine*: I was thinking of prison today (while doing some gardening) and I thought of the Profumo affair. Remember that one? Of course Profumo didn't kill anybody, he *just* had the affair with Christine Keeler, a prostitute - but it was a big deal and he had to resign as Foreign Minister (I think) because there were political implications, and it was a fall from a great height. And he atoned for what he did. Soup kitchens. That is where he worked for years, in the poorest sections of London. And then he re-organized the organization.

So he profited from his fall from grace. There's that, too (and that was my tangerine for the day). Thnx****:):):):)
  • Options
    Fox_BluffFox_Bluff Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Mazzy.

It's interesting. That post has gone around the internet a bit, and some people initially thought I made some bits up to be sarcastic about OP's version. When it's pointed out that, nope, it's all straight from his very own mouth, they go....."Whaaaaaaaat?" - proving how ridiculous his story actually is :D

BIB - Oh my goodness! I think that's fantastic. You know what a fan I am of subject post. Actually, it was the second time I read my printout of that post that the term Oscar's Razor popped into my head. (:
  • Options
    sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well here's an alternative round up of the trial, this guy is pretty craaaaazy, full-on, looks like he's recorded this from his front room, but he's pretty barmey........only in America !!!

Really worth a listen !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeH9iCw8p8
  • Options
    Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Mazzy.

It's interesting. That post has gone around the internet a bit, and some people initially thought I made some bits up to be sarcastic about OP's version. When it's pointed out that, nope, it's all straight from his very own mouth, they go....."Whaaaaaaaat?" - proving how ridiculous his story actually is :D

that's what makes it so brilliant. all of it is straight from the horses mouth :D
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konya wrote: »
    :o Well even more so ties in to what I hear at 16.53 when I thought OP said 'she was screaming' I wonder if his brain had got confudled and he went back to that night in real terms rather than his bull?

agree just re- listened, it does sound like he said "she was screaming" but then Nel goes on saying " why would you scream etc...:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandy50 wrote: »
    Well here's an alternative round up of the trial, this guy is pretty craaaaazy, full-on, looks like he's recorded this from his front room, but he's pretty barmey........only in America !!!

Really worth a listen !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeH9iCw8p8

Wowzers, that guy is on something isn't he?!
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, Mazzy.

All praise is well deserved.

Made ma laugh my head off and captured the true idiocy of the totally implausible nonsense that ensues when you start lying and then have to keep adding new lies to cover up the holes exposed by your previous lies.

There is always someone coming along to pick off individual bits of fabrication and fashion an 'explanation' to argue that it is 'reasonably possibly true'. But when you look at the whole story as you have, the impossibility of it all becomes starkly obvious.

A tangled web indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    agree just re- listened, it does sound like he said "she was screaming" but then Nel goes on saying " why would you scream etc...:confused:

Glad I'm not going mad then and you heard it too. I guess it's really easy to miss hence Nel not noticing. In fact nobody else noticed, I only heard it because I thought the other reference was just a rough time guide!

GUILTY :D

Send him down.
This discussion has been closed.