Options

Spelling

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
I am a terrible speller,so I can't shout too loud, but there's one word that is constantly spelt wrong....lose......it's not spelt Loose...it's L O S E ;-)

Comments

• Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    I am a terrible speller,so I can't shout too loud, but there's one word that is constantly spelt wrong....lose......it's not spelt Loose...it's L O S E ;-)

Loose women, loose morals, loose bowels etc.

Lose bowels means something entirely different! :D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your when it should be you're is increasingly common nowadays. Apostrophe and capitalisation are in danger, too. :cry:

Examples:

im going home.
    dont act like your better than us.
    i dont want to go to work tomorrow.
    your so nice.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be gym not far from here that boasted 'loose inches here!'
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, maybe it's difficult for some?

Even now there's a thread with "who's" instead of "whose" in the title. It's a pity spellcheck can't help people differentiate which word to use when.

Often a word is spelt correctly, but it's the wrong one in that context.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is purfect.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,131
    Forum Member
    Standards of spelling are definately slipping. Most dissappointing.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Why does it matter to people if others can't spell? As long as you can read what the person is saying, just let it go!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But when you misspell I get to take a free pot-shot at you, without even having to invoke the name of Hitler ... = teh win
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Anything that has a z where there should be an s! Realize/realise for example. Drives me nuts!! Also the dreaded your, you're and there, their, they're mistakes...I'm dyslexic but I still manage!
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Why does it matter to people if others can't spell? As long as you can read what the person is saying, just let it go!

Oh no no no!!!
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My spelling leaves a lot to be desired, though I do try hard to make sure I get it right.
    The spell check helps - but I've noticed words such as color and center cropping up on DS recently. Obviously they're not spelling errors as such, just a bit of a pet peeve of mine is all.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

I'm not that bothered about other people's spelling but that one does annoy me.

It is defiantly one of the worst ;)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    My spelling leaves a lot to be desired, though I do try hard to make sure I get it right.
    The spell check helps - but I've noticed words such as color and center cropping up on DS recently. Obviously they're not spelling errors as such, just a bit of a pet peeve of mine is all.
    Well, we do have FMs from all over, it could be that you are seeing posts made by some of the American/Canadian FMs (or FMs from any other country which spells that way).
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Well, we do have FMs from all over, it could be that you are seeing posts made by some of the American/Canadian FMs (or FMs from any other country which spells that way).

Indeed. There three fairly prolific posters on here (prolific enough for me to be able to think of them off the top of my head anyway) who are American. And I imagine many more that I'm not aware of.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always a danger in these threads of people criticising others' spelling and grammar and then make mistakes in that post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »

Yes and of course I've taken that into consideration. I was referring to people who I know live in UK.
    Like I say, it's just a bit of a peeve of mine, it's no real biggy.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »

There'll be members on these forums that are probably from all over the world.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My pet peeve is would OF and could OF. Drives me bonkers. :D I don't think people are aware that it's incorrect because when you hear the contraction 'could've', it does sound like 'could of', so I understand why people do it, but it still bugs me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There'll be members on these forums that are probably from all over the world.

Yes. I agree. As I've already said I have taken that into account. I should have been clearer and specified that I was talking about people who live in UK that omit the "u".
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    One that bothers me is "past time" instead of "pastime", which I see quite a lot. Why people would think it's two words is baffling!

Another is "none" instead of "non". Or "were" for "where".

These can be genuinely confusing at first glance.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Standards of spelling are definately slipping. Most dissappointing.
    Defiantly so.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I keep seeing too instead of to. Happens a lot.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,131
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Defiantly so.

:D I love that one. It's one of my favourite spelling mistakes.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think we are also seeing a lot of errors in posts that are being made from mobile phones and tablets, more and more so; you see a lot that are obviously auto-corrected, some very funny ones too.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I wrote my first book last year, I had to relearn alot of english. I would say I spent 3 months learning grammar, spelling and punctuation.
    Peoples spelling has gotten alot worse over the last few years. Due to Facebook and text speak I would imagine.