Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Overtake Button really kills China as a spectacle. Well, the Overtake Button kills most races, but moreso at China with the 2 long straights.
    It's too artificial now. Mercedes have too much in hand and the others little real capability of closing anywhere near. If Mercedes threatened to leave without getting their way, it's now all too clear why. This isn't F1, but an exhibition of their lead in the car manufacturing industry with the greatest government green initiative requirements.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Wow!! What a spectacle. This really is racing! It really is a dud sport.

Didn't Fangio used to win races by a margin of a couple of minutes, on various occasions?
    Has there ever been a time where F1 was always interesting?

Not sure you can really pin this one on DRS or aero' either. There weren't a huge number of DRS passes along the back-straight and there weren't a lot of cars spending a lot of time following each other closely either.

Seems like it was just one of those races where the cars all simply finished in order of merit.

Perhaps, if anything, the problem is that some circuits just aren't designed in a way that allows them to be "attacked" by an ambitious driver so they're all left to simply trundle from lights to flag in an optimal manner and that's what leads to a dull race?

The Williams is currently considered a decent car and yet, after his awful pitstop, Massa couldn't do much to recover in the way that, say, DR did in Bahrain.
    The time he lost just remained lost.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Didn't Fangio used to win races by a margin of a couple of minutes, on various occasions?
    Has there ever been a time where F1 was always interesting?

Not sure you can really pin this one on DRS or aero' either. There weren't a huge number of DRS passes along the back-straight and there weren't a lot of cars spending a lot of time following each other closely either.

Seems like it was just one of those races where the cars all simply finished in order of merit.

Perhaps, if anything, the problem is that some circuits just aren't designed in a way that allows them to be "attacked" by an ambitious driver so they're all left to simply trundle from lights to flag in an optimal manner and that's what leads to a dull race?

The Williams is currently considered a decent car and yet, after his awful pitstop, Massa couldn't do much to recover in the way that, say, DR did in Bahrain.
    The time he lost just remained lost.

It was a pretty poor race. Great for Lewis but as much as I'm a great fan of his and I like seeing him win, the race was rubbish. And it feels like the Mercs are in coast mode all the time, as if they're always saving fuel, which gives off the impression that they have a lot of race pace in hand. And that's slightly worrying for the rest.

But luckily for RB, Spain and Monaco represent their best chance of a win this season and those two tracks are next. But Merc will bring upgrades and they'll be right up there, although I would expect RB to be closer in quali (3 tenths away from Merc I believe) and half a second a lap slower in race pace at the most, which should lead to a closer race.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this year is a heck of a lot more interesting than the last few - Hamilton driving a car that allows him to drive at his best, Vettel driving a car that shows how ordinary a driver he actually is, Rosberg starting to fulfil his potential and Ricciardo showing that he has bags of the stuff by getting far more out of a sub-par car than the 4x world champion!

I wish we had Hamilton and Ricciardo in the Mercedes, that would be an interesting battle for sure...
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    Ricciardo showing that he has bags of the stuff by getting far more out of a sub-par car than the 4x world champion
    Is it a sup-par car (accepting that the Renault power unit is a dog compared to the Mercedes) or just one not as suited to SV's driving style? Did DR do most of the donkey work testing (and developing) this year's car? Did SV drop the ball on this one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this year is a heck of a lot more interesting than the last few - Hamilton driving a car that allows him to drive at his best, Vettel driving a car that shows how ordinary a driver he actually is, Rosberg starting to fulfil his potential and Ricciardo showing that he has bags of the stuff by getting far more out of a sub-par car than the 4x world champion!

Interesting theory people were suggesting today; that, over the last few years, Vettel's been driving a car with such a terrific amount of downforce while Ricciardo's been driving a kinda sucky STR and, as a result, DR's more comfortable in an uncooperative car while Vettel needs to try and remember what it's like to drive an unruly car.

The more you hear about statistics, the more you realise that Hamilton has been just plain unlucky to be driving in F1 in an era when Vettel and his super-downforce RBR were so dominant.

Niki Lauda has the same number of wins as Hamilton and won 3 WDCs for his efforts.
    Alonso hasn't, statistically, been as successful as Hamilton and he's got 2 WDCs.
    Vettel and Hamilton have scored very nearly the same number of points per race, from roughly the same number of races, but Vettel's got 4 WDCs to Hamilton's one.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the same kind of argument used to bemoan the record of Stirling Moss competing in the same era as Fangio?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very dull race after Bahrain and Hamilton looks in a zone all by himself.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    pretty dull race another merc whitewash

i cant really see them losing any of the races this year bar accidents

they have such a advantage in all conditions

hopefully rosberg can give hamilton a hard time
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty dull race another merc whitewash

i cant really see them losing any of the races this year bar accidents

they have such a advantage in all conditions

hopefully rosberg can give hamilton a hard time

Dont mind a team being ahead of the rest, long as there is some inter team battles and action further down the field.

Mercedes did the hard work, they deserve their moment in the sun. Other merc teams will bring updates, so the racing at the front should improve.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope all of Bernie's wealth has got him some good lawyers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27136709
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Very dull race after Bahrain and Hamilton looks in a zone all by himself.
    China was very disappointing as a sporting spectacle. It really left me feeling flat as a F1 fan.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    It's pathetic now. I mean we get fuel consumption figures. If I wanted to see that sort of crap on a Sunday I could just take my diesel car from a drive and see what Mpg I can get.

Utter utter utter cack.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    RIP Ayrton Senna

RIP Roland Ratzenberger.

The forgotten one by so many people, overshadowed by the death of Ayrton the day after, So Ignored

Four F1 drivers attended his funeral.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where has our resident Hamilton-hater been this season?
  • Options
    MatthartlaneMatthartlane Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    (From the BBC F1 gossip site) Heikki Kovalainen to become a test driver for Mercedes.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Roland Ratzenberger.

The forgotten one by so many people, overshadowed by the death of Ayrton the day after, So Ignored

Four F1 drivers attended his funeral.

I think Max Mosley when he was in charge went to his Funeral too, and Bernie was banned from going to Senna's, But not Sure why:confused:

Berger & wendlinger(sp) were the only others to attend according to Wikipedia so who were the other to drivers to go:confused:

rip to Senna & Ratzenberger both should never be forgotten
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where has our resident Hamilton-hater been this season?

Given the way the season's been going so far, he's probably smashed up his computer.
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    (From the BBC F1 gossip site) Heikki Kovalainen to become a test driver for Mercedes.

Hope that doesn't create any bad mojo at Merc'.

I like Kovalainen and it's great to see him stay in the sport but, when he was Hamilton's team-mate at McLaren, it seems like he was often the biggest thorn in Hamilton's side.

Obviously, team-mates should compete but I seem to recall spending a lot of time shouting at the telly for Kova' to get out of Lewis' way cos it seemed like he was always doing stuff like holding Hamilton up for lap after lap and then, once Hamilton had finally passed him, he'd bloody-well move over and let Alonso or Vettel through straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    I think Max Mosley when he was in charge went to his Funeral too, and Bernie was banned from going to Senna's, But not Sure why:confused:

Berger & wendlinger(sp) were the only others to attend according to Wikipedia so who were the other to drivers to go:confused:

rip to Senna & Ratzenberger both should never be forgotten

I know Johnny Herbert attended, I recently read an article with quotes from him saying only 4 drivers attended.

This is not the article I read originally, but it mentions it, will try and find the other one, http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/30/sport/motorsport/roland-ratzenberger-death-anniversary/
    Herbert, Gerhard Berger, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Karl Wendlinger were the only F1 drivers of that time to attend Ratzenberger's funeral, along with then FIA president Max Mosley.

Would have thought his team mate Brabham would have attended.

From what I have read, The Senna family asked Bernie not to attend, allegedly because they were upset he did not halt the race following Senna's crash. How true this is, I don't know.
  • Options
    scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member

From what I have read, The Senna family asked Bernie not to attend, allegedly because they were upset he did not halt the race following Senna's crash. How true this is, I don't know.

Wouldn't it have been the FIA race director's call rather than Bernie's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scragend wrote: »
    Wouldn't it have been the FIA race director's call rather than Bernie's?

Yes, but that's what I have read and seen no other explanation.

Don't know how true it is.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but that's what I have read and seen no other explanation.

Don't know how true it is.

If it Was the FIA why would they want it carry on with the race, what would they have to gain and surly the People in Charge of the Circuit would of had a say I would of thought:confused:
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie delayed the announcement of his death so the race could go on.

Under Italian law, the race would have to be stopped as the crash site would be treated as a crime scene.