Options

Real Radio's transition to Heart

Comments

• Options
    martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Very slick first day global....one cock up 10 am....silly Toby but apart from that spot on! Nice to have a bit of life on the frequency again
  • Options
    andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS I wish they would can that news bed, will this last the whole 15 minutes?!

[edit] oh I see, they have a different bed as the story changes, hmm interesting. This current bed is not as intrusive!
  • Options
    HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andrew1973 wrote: »
    FFS I wish they would can that news bed, will this last the whole 15 minutes?!

[edit] oh no, the have a different bed as the story changes, hmm interesting. This current bed is not as intrusive!

It's that faint you can hardly hear it!

Wish it was as dramatic as Newsbeat though.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    The Dumper (as I've christened it because it's where they've thrown all the speech output they don't want to do during the day) is a good news show, but it's so unHeart it's bizarre.

Still, Global will be used to doing stuff it doesn't want to as a quid pro quo for meeting licence requirements (see Wales) and it's at a point where most people will be home from work.

Here's the token sports coverage... done as a feature on a Commonwealth Games prospect rather than anything happening tonight. Interesting. Meets the brand but maybe not the licence requirement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those complaining heart north west isn't local, well this Nightly news programme is everything LOCAL! All your Northern accents and more!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the nightly news was only about 7mins in total!
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    And now the news. Again. :D
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    The Dumper (as I've christened it because it's where they've thrown all the speech output they don't want to do during the day) is a good news show, but it's so unHeart it's bizarre.

Still, Global will be used to doing stuff it doesn't want to as a quid pro quo for meeting licence requirements (see Wales) and it's at a point where most people will be home from work.

Here's the token sports coverage... done as a feature on a Commonwealth Games prospect rather than anything happening tonight. Interesting. Meets the brand but maybe not the licence requirement.

I would be surprised if Ofcom have allowed them to do this "end of the day show" in place of detailed news bulletins through the day when most people are listening. News and sport are meant to be "main ingredients" with no less than Real were doing prior to the change of control. I'm pretty sure that rival groups in the new areas will at least ask Ofcom to give their opinion.

Having said that I didn't think Capital Xtra was within format but nothing seems to have come of that either.
  • Options
    leddersledders Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very slick first day global....one cock up 10 am....silly Toby but apart from that spot on! Nice to have a bit of life on the frequency again

A bit of life on the frequency? When was that?

It is heart that is on now, not Real Radio. Or were you being ironic?
  • Options
    DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart London has came off dab and Heart Scotland now replaced Real Radio but still showing Real on my preset
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    I second that, I've been out earlier did a 7 mile drive, didn't see a single Heart advert! Must be in very select locations... wondering if the huge White City roundabout advert is now a Heart one?

There's one near where I live. I'll take a picture next time I go past!
  • Options
    thelemthelem Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of the Welsh tracks are not Capital 'sounding', and like it's been mentioned before, this is where Capital may struggle, as there's not that much contemporary Welsh language music that suits the style of Capital.

Maybe Capital will become a place where new Welsh artists get known? I know global generally prefer to go with established artists and tracks, but if it's a choice between an off-brand track or an on-brand track from a new artist, just maybe they'll go with the new artist.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heart London has came off dab and Heart Scotland now replaced Real Radio but still showing Real on my preset

A rescan will clear your Real preset. But will also remove all your other presets.

So you will need to set them again.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom should require regional stations to broadcast at least 3 minutes of regional news every hour and as Radio 1 does, two 15 minute bulletins.

If Global says that amount of news is too expensive, their financial practices should be investigated. They have money to buy stations but they don't have enough money to put loal content on them. That doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »

Surprised they haven't put The Dumper on at 05:45.
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart have moved to 24hr news it appears with the 8 o'clock news on now
  • Options
    andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    It's that faint you can hardly hear it!

Wish it was as dramatic as Newsbeat though.

Wasn't faint here! There again I listen through a DAB receiver connected to a HTS so it's got rather more bass than you'd normally get! :D
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the delight to listen to the station today. Very very slick, and polished. Th e play list was outstanding very little repeats, and as said Heart has tried to make the change over alot more Scottish, especial with not using Emma for the TV advert. People are still complaining on Scottish FB page., even just mins ago.

But issues do remain.

* Very shorty news bulletins, really should be 3mins
    * The lack of Speech, most of the time its about competitions or Celebs news.
    It seems there cant even get the local DJ names right..... http://m.c.heart.co.uk/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=h9F70SLZQYUPq%2F%2FLCk2RPhE4b%2B6JAaQF&cmpid=E.Heart_Solus_ArrivedRL_ScotlandWest&cmp=EMC-NEO

Pre-recorded Output Friday evenings between 1900 and 2100 and Saturday afternoons between 1700 and 2100 and Sunday mornings between 0600 and 1200 are pre-recorded.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to be that all the presenters may need to do separate links for Scotland then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    We have a billboard in Birkenhead saying "Capital FM has Arrived in Birkenhead" but it does not say 97.1FM which is a bit daft.
  • Options
    CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I have to admit, it's a bit tedious reading through the comments on the Facebook pages with people complaining that they don't like Heart because it's not local 24/7 like Real was. One person even complained that they wouldn't be listening because the output now comes fromManchester - the irony
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be that all the presenters may need to do separate links for Scotland then.

Why not? its not like there do much anyways:D
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    I had the delight to listen to the station today. Very very slick, and polished. Th e play list was outstanding very little repeats, and as said Heart has tried to make the change over alot more Scottish, especial with not using Emma for the TV advert. People are still complaining on Scottish FB page., even just mins ago.

But issues do remain.

* Very shorty news bulletins, really should be 3mins
    * The lack of Speech, most of the time its about competitions or Celebs news.
    It seems there cant even get the local DJ names right..... http://m.c.heart.co.uk/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=h9F70SLZQYUPq%2F%2FLCk2RPhE4b%2B6JAaQF&cmpid=E.Heart_Solus_ArrivedRL_ScotlandWest&cmp=EMC-NEO

Pre-recorded Output Friday evenings between 1900 and 2100 and Saturday afternoons between 1700 and 2100 and Sunday mornings between 0600 and 1200 are pre-recorded.

I always though Sunday was live
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually get the impression that the whole Heart 'offering' has changed from today to incorporate the Reals, over and above standardizations to accommodate format requirements. It all just seems a bit more 'up'.

The whole thing is a breath of fresh air. I am sorry to see some people lose their jobs and the whole 'hold seperate/sword of damocoles' thing wasn't easy or nice for people who must have all had that horrible feeling of going into work everyday wondering what was going to happen. Had that in my time both in and out of radio and I know what it's like.

But listening today one realises just how stale Real had become. Global make a virtue of networking as the people at the top believe in it for its own sake. GMG never really 'got' that and it always felt like a grudging financial necessity.

Heart's network presenters believe in themselves and the brand (or at least sound as if they do). With the latter-day Real networking I just felt that some of the presenters had a 'look guys, I'm just a local radio DJ in Manchester...don't expect too much of me' attitude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    A few people are complaining about the change and saying they liked Real but don't like Heart but don't know how to "unlike" the page, maybe he's one of those?

Possibly.