Options

Walford Will Change Forever

Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
Forum Member
✭✭
Has it happened yet or is it due to happen when the killer is revealed? I can't see how anything has changed as of yet. Lucy is dead but life (and other storylines) go on.

With that in mind, if indeed Walford will change forever when the killer is revealed, then that narrows down the list of suspects significantly. There aren't that many characters who would change the show forever by killing Lucy Beale. It has to be a Mitchell or a Beale who killed her in order for Walford to change forever.
Nit picking here, but if only 4 people know who the killer is then unless you're one of those 4 people and you know this for a fact then tweeting the hashtag #WalfordWillChangeForever is more than a bit disingenuous.

#Sorrynotsorry:kitty:

Comments

• Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blog woman has a good Ronnie theory. Nothing feels like it's changed so far and to be honest I'm not really engaged with it 2 weeks on. I expect it to come to a crescendo later on in the year though.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on the mad blog woman.

There's only so many times I can read her tirelessly repeating the same crap about "Millennial's" "The. Worst. Actress. Ever. To. Appear. In. EastEnders." [Insert some joke about DTC being compared to Jesus].

Jeez, broaden your horizons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    The mad blog woman has a good Ronnie theory. Nothing feels like it's changed so far and to be honest I'm not really engaged with it 2 weeks on. I expect it to come to a crescendo later on in the year though.

The Ronnie theory is a great one. I could see it being her. And she's a Mitchell....

I'm also not engaged with the story so far. I'm still in the dark over what it is I'm supposed to be blown away by. Peter and Lauren? Ian cheating and crying? The waste of time red herrings like Max and Jake? I'm hoping DTC fires a rocket up this storyline's backside soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

There's only so many times I can read her tirelessly repeating the same crap about "Millennial's" "The. Worst. Actress. Ever. To. Appear. In. EastEnders." [Insert some joke about DTC being compared to Jesus].

I fear that may be me in 5 years if I don't get out more. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Please don't turn this thread into an attack against anyone. I created it to discuss if and when Walford will change forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ronnie theory is a great one. I could see it being her. And she's a Mitchell....

I'm also not engaged with the story so far. I'm still in the dark over what it is I'm supposed to be blown away by. Peter and Lauren? Ian cheating and crying? The waste of time red herrings like Max and Jake? I'm hoping DTC fires a rocket up this storyline's backside soon.

I love that theory. The most interesting thing for me so far in this has been Denise. The rest of it not so much.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,128
    Forum Member
    'The mad blog woman'. Oh lord.

I think it has changed for numerous reasons. I think even the intensity of the episodes has changed. You are constantly aware that their is a grieving family in the corner. Even small stories have a link back to the grief of the Beales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love that theory. The most interesting thing for me so far in this has been Denise. The rest of it not so much.

I agree. Denise has been the best part of the storyline so far. I feel more sympathy for her than I do for anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Denise has been the best part of the storyline so far. I feel more sympathy for her than I do for anyone else.

I do. Even more than Ian and Peter which surprises me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    I think it has changed for numerous reasons. I think even the intensity of the episodes has changed. You are constantly aware that their is a grieving family in the corner. Even small stories have a link back to the grief of the Beales.

I see that but it's to be expected when a character dies. It's been depicted many times before and hasn't changed Walford forever. I can't imagine Walford will still be grieving the death of Lucy Beale 2 years from now. To make a statement like "Walford Will Change Forever" it has to be transformed in some way that can never be reversed. With the exception of those close to Lucy I can't see how her death will change Walford forever. That's why I'm thinking the killer is a Mitchell or a Beale.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    what's changing (so far)

Ian has cheated on Denise and their days are numbered.
    Max and Lucy's affair is about to be exposed...this will probably destroy his family.
    Peter has grown cold towards Lola and is growing closer to Lauren
    Jane has dumped Masood and taken Bobby
    Cindy has left after being thrown out by Ian (taking TJ's sprog with her)
    ? There's a drug dealer in the square

I expect there's plenty more to come
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that but it's to be expected when a character dies. It's been depicted many times before and hasn't changed Walford forever. I can't imagine Walford will still be grieving the death of Lucy Beale 2 years from now. To make a statement like "Walford Will Change Forever" it has to be transformed in some way that can never be reversed. With the exception of those close to Lucy I can't see how her death will change Walford forever. That's why I'm thinking the killer is a Mitchell or a Beale.

A Watts? Sharon couldn't face Ian and they always do hatchet jobs on the icons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the problem. There is quite a fair few fans myself included, that don't like or care about this generation of the Beale family. So I'm afraid I'm not being 'move'd by this storyline.

I would go as far as saying Diederick Santer is a better EP than Dominic Treadwell-Collins. While DS was mediocre at best, at least he didn't put all his eggs in one basket like DTC seems to be doing with this Lucy storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    what's changing (so far)

Max and Lucy's affair is about to be exposed...this will probably destroy his family.

Do you really think any of those things will change Walford, the fictional setting of EastEnders, forever?:confused:

The Beales have been changed forever but Walford remains the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Watts? Sharon couldn't face Ian and they always do hatchet jobs on the icons.

You sound like you are surprised. I have given up all hope on Sharon returning to her best :(.

I am actually really disappointed with this year so far. How many times can they churn out mediocrity on regular basis with adding in sensationalism on the side every now and then?
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Do you really think any of those things will change Walford, the fictional setting of EastEnders, forever?:confused:

The Beales have been changed forever but Walford remains the same.

I always read it as things would change for the people of Walford.

So far the Beales, Cindy, Jane, Masood, the Brannings, TJ, Lola...
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far it hasn't but the sl still has a long way to go, so I'll wait and see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    You sound like you are surprised. I have given up all hope on Sharon returning to her best :(.

I am actually really disappointed with this year so far. How many times can they churn out mediocrity on regular basis with sensationalism on the side every now and then?

I'm hanging on. (Lol, that sounds dramatic). I liked the Albert scenes, the hints about Sharon s revenge, Dot/Nick stuff, Ronnie going mad, some of the Carter stuff, Shabnam, so will wait and see. Sometimes it is really good. Other times I feel like I'm being taken for a mug. :confused:
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More like "The Beales Will Change Forever".

It's not changed Walford forever. Sure Lucy might be more important than most characters due to her links to Ian and her history on the show, but her death really hasn't been any more impacful on the Square than Archie or Den's deaths (who were both bigger and better characters than Lucy), actually I'd say it has had less impact than their deaths. Even after the killer is eventually revealed, I don't see how her death will change Walford forever (unless it is a huge, long-term character like Phil but I doubt they would go down that route).

Like all murders/deaths on soaps, people whisper about it for a few weeks and then everything will go back to normal once everyone realises how useless the police are in finding the culprit :D. The story will go on the backburner for a while after that as the loved ones of the deceased try to figure out what really happened until 2015. It's always like that. Lucy's story is no different.

To be fair though, I think TPTB know that as it's very rare for a storyline to "change Walford forever", but they wanted to hype up the storyline to get as many viewers watching. So a tagline like that will get people talking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the phrases such as 'EastEnders Will Become Best Drama On Television' and 'Walford Will Change Forever', are they are such bold and strong statements to make, and it is nearly impossible for any executive producer to live up to those claims. So in essence, TPTB really are opening themselves up to criticism, especially when the show returns to its distinctively average self a couple of weeks later.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    There's still some more revelations to come yet with this storyline, so we'll probably be seeing more changes with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    what's changing (so far)

All those things are normal grist for the mill in soap land and would happen without the murder. I am expecting something major. I guess it's early days yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    The problem with the phrases such as 'EastEnders Will Become Best Drama On Television' and 'Walford Will Change Forever', are they are such bold and strong statements to make, and it is nearly impossible for any executive producer to live up to those claims. So in essence, TPTB really are opening themselves up to criticism, especially when the show returns to its distinctively average self a couple of weeks later.

Yes, it's a huge statement to live up to. I remember the Den murder year and I recall it being really exciting the way it involved all the big characters in the square. I'm expecting this to be the same.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't turn this thread into an attack against anyone. I created it to discuss if and when Walford will change forever.

I'm not attacking anyone.

I'm critiquing an assessment of EE.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All those things are normal grist for the mill in soap land and would happen without the murder. I am expecting something major. I guess it's early days yet.

True, I hope it does live up to the hype.