Options

Now Tv - Failing badly

Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
Forum Member
Recently joined Sky's Now Tv streaming service mainly for Game of Thrones . God its bad. For 5 Mondays in a row sat down at 9pm to watch Game of Thrones only to be told "oops there appears to be a problem " 5 weeks in a row !!! In the run up to the first episode 5 weeks ago Sky knew that hundreds of thousands had joined Now TV to specifically watch GOT and yet they didn't spend the money we gave them on increasing their server capacity - for 5 weeks in a row !!!
Now TV have piss poor customer service with no phone number but an email address or they advise you contact them via Twitter . On Twitter they just say that they are aware of the problem and that's it . I rang Sky customer service to complain but they said it was a separate "entity" even though its owned , advertised as a Sky service.
I have since had the same streaming problems with other programmes on the Now Tv.

This is obviously their panicked response to Netflix , Amazon etc streaming service. They are failing miserably . Another issue is that for £6 per month on Netflix you get the full boxsets of tv series going back to the beginning....for £5 per month on Now Tv you get maybe one season if your lucky or the last two episodes .

Over all a very very shambolic piss poor service . Once Game of Thrones is over I like 1000's of others will cancel my subscription and revert to watching these programmes illegially online

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    We have Now TV but only use the box for accessing catch-up services. Found the service quality poor and so didn't continue after the trial period. Only cost £10 for the box though!
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Yes, I agree and have been saying so over on another thread.

Sitting down to watch GoT on a monday night with your fingers crossed the service won't go down or the debacle when the service crashed at half time during Lpool Chelsea game.

Ironically my BT Sport HD stream has been flawless all year.

Should be very interesting to see what happens on sunday when demand to stream three live games is likely to be very, very high.
  • Options
    steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also just use mine for the catch up services, Tune-in radio, and to watch the US channels live :-)
  • Options
    cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Could it be that Sky want to entice you to sign up for a dish rather than use Now and hope you'd assume all streaming services were as bad?
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Could it be that Sky want to entice you to sign up for a dish rather than use Now and hope you'd assume all streaming services were as bad?

I suspect streaming was something Sky didn't really want to get into but their hand was forced by the likes of Netflix.

Their business model is to have people tied into contracts and a dish. I imagine a fair few people will bin Now TV once GoT has finished.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I lost all interest in them after they removed Elementary 4 days before the day they stated. I had 4 episodes left. I cancelled pretty soon after. >:(

The box is worth the price for 4OD alone so i'm still happy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

If that is the case then Sky really havn't a clue have they lol. If their business model is to "force" people to sign up to the full package because their cheaper streaming one is crap suggest they think their customers are stupid. Unfortunately for Sky their model of business is outdated . More and more streaming services are coming on line providing people with what they actually want and not packages filled with 100's of channels they don't want . Most of Skys best programmes are free to watch online - ok illegially but the quality is great ....as I've said we try to go legit and pay for the programming but Sky in their arrogance have taken customers money and not provided the streaming service....personally I look forward to much more competition from the likes of Netflix and Amazon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spannersf1 wrote: »
    We have Now TV but only use the box for accessing catch-up services. Found the service quality poor and so didn't continue after the trial period. Only cost £10 for the box though!

& it's that exact attitude they are depending on. 100.000 people pay £10 for a box they only use once or for the initial 30 day freebie period.

KERCHING KERCHING KERCHING

way too big for their boots
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    I've hardly had any problems with it personally.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We have Now TV but only use the box for accessing catch-up services. Found the service quality poor and so didn't continue after the trial period. Only cost £10 for the box though!
    & it's that exact attitude they are depending on. 100.000 people pay £10 for a box they only use once or for the initial 30 day freebie period.

Sky lose money on the £10 box so why would they depend on people cancelling the service? They need people to keep subscribing in order to pay for the subsidised £10 boxes. Now TV is a competitor to the likes of Netflix and TalkTalk TV. It's not intended as a substitute for Sky or VM.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm the one going kerching. Bought the box for a tenner without intending to use Now TV.

I have sideloaded Plex and use it as a media streamer. You can't buy proper media streamers for that little.

The one wish I do have, is that I wish there was a Sky Go app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    "We have Now TV but only use the box for accessing catch-up services. Found the service quality poor and so didn't continue after the trial period. Only cost £10 for the box though!

Sky lose money on the £10 box so why would they depend on people cancelling the service? They need people to keep subscribing in order to pay for the subsidised £10 boxes. Now TV is a competitor to the likes of Netflix and TalkTalk TV. It's not intended as a substitute for Sky or VM.

You'd never guess that from the very poor service they provide .
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Now TV box itself is the biggest bargain in the history of home entertainment.

£9.99 for a tiny box that provides access to Now TV, iPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5, Vimeo, Vevo, TuneIn Radio, Revision3 and Plex.

Absolute bargain.
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    The Now TV box itself is the biggest bargain in the history of home entertainment.

£9.99 for a tiny box that provides access to Now TV, iPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5, Vimeo, Vevo, TuneIn Radio, Revision3 and Plex.

Absolute bargain.

I agree :) No problems for me works well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    You would, however, be able to work it out from the fact that there's no similar device available for just £10.
  • Options
    AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have used the service almost since it started, no problems at all. My only issue is the limit to four registered devices.

Great value in my opinion.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the box available from a high st store? also does it have wireless capability?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Is the box available from a high st store? also does it have wireless capability?

Argos sell them. Yes, they can connect to wireless networks. HDMI only though.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Argos sell them. Yes, they can connect to wireless networks. HDMI only though.

Thanks, just had a look at the argos site and its not totally clear, it says a now tv account is needed. Does that mean you have to subscribe to get the box to work, or will it work for the on demand players straight out of the box? i was reading the above posts and would like it just for the free players/apps but will not even bother with a free trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, just had a look at the argos site and its not totally clear, it says a now tv account is needed. Does that mean you have to subscribe to get the box to work, or will it work for the on demand players straight out of the box? i was reading the above posts and would like it just for the free players/apps but will not even bother with a free trial.
    You need to take the free trial in order to access the on-demand players. However, you can cancel the free trial at any time and the players will continue to work after the trial is cancelled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You would, however, be able to work it out from the fact that there's no similar device available for just £10.

So Sky are subsidising a £10 box and at the same time providing such a poor Not TV service that they are losing customes in droves but thats ok from Sky's point of view as people can still use their subsidised box for accessing non Sky programming ....Gosh I never knew Sky were a charity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Sky are subsidising a £10 box and at the same time providing such a poor Not TV service that they are losing customes in droves but thats ok from Sky's point of view as people can still use their subsidised box for accessing non Sky programming ....Gosh I never knew Sky were a charity.
    It's obviously not Sky's intention for people to just use the boxes for free on-demand services. If sufficient people don't subscribe through poor service then Sky will have to improve the service or cease subsidising the boxes.
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to take the free trial in order to access the on-demand players. However, you can cancel the free trial at any time and the players will continue to work after the trial is cancelled.

You DON'T need to take up the free trial, you DO need to have a Now TV account but on the page it asks for your account details just close it, your acount will still be set up and you will be able to use the box.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it just a Roku box? They're pretty inexpensive, if you look at the thing, it can't be worth that much, I bought a Roku 2 XS a while ago, paid like $99, while it works I feel like I way overpaid. The thing reboots about half the time when I'm playing Amazon or Hulu, so I don't think they're actually losing much offering it for so low, especially if they get any kind of meaningful subscription revenue from it.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Most of Skys best programmes are free to watch online - ok illegially but the quality is great ....as I've said we try to go legit and pay for the programming but Sky in their arrogance have taken customers money and not provided the streaming service

When you can download GoT in 720p just minutes after its been on HBO in the US, for free, why anyone would want to pay for Now TV in 360p is beyond me frankly..
    The PQ is poor, very poor actually. yet i have no issues with BT Sport online ay 720p or iPlayer at 720p.
    If Sky got their arses in gear and offered 720p on SkyGo and NowTV, perhaps.. But at its current state, god no!
    Isn't it just a Roku box? They're pretty inexpensive, if you look at the thing, it can't be worth that much, I bought a Roku 2 XS a while ago, paid like $99, while it works I feel like I way overpaid. The thing reboots about half the time when I'm playing Amazon or Hulu, so I don't think they're actually losing much offering it for so low, especially if they get any kind of meaningful subscription revenue from it.

BiB
    Yep. Just rebranded with NowTV UI