Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we should go for a heart felt power ballad next year. Just a piano and an emotional lyric with nice build up. It has been successful this year. I don't think we should stick to the indie vibe.

Failing that, I think we should go for something upbeat and dancy. But modern, not cheesy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    The moment we all first heard Austria
    The moment we all heard the Netherlands (albeit the acoustic version, but the full version came out not long after)

I doubted both haha.

Austria because I just didn't think ppl would be progressive enough (gladly proved wrong) and the Netherlands because i though it was dull dull dull. I had it 37th in my ranking. Until Tuesday
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here they are! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yay. No negative comments beforehand either.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone put a bet on the Netherlands/Austria to win each-way when it was first released because there was some big $ there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I love how it sounds so different to all the other songs in the chart. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone put a bet on the Netherlands/Austria to win each-way when it was first released because there was some big $ there

You'd have made a fortune!!
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Have any of the songs made the official chart. Or just big top 40?

Molly is at 30. Others should hopefully make it next week(tho no doubt they will start falling fast as the week progresses)
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's lovely going through Molly's list of favourited tweets:

https://twitter.com/mollysd/favorites

She's getting a lot of love from all over Europe.. countries I notice are Spain, Italy, Russia...

It's great to see that she's reading these comments as hopefully it makes her feel much better.

(She favourited another one of my tweets too :D)
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I think me telling friends and family we were in with a shout also didn't help, because I felt stupid >:(

I have to face my colleagues tomorrow. :blush::(
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,288
    Forum Member
    She looked like the bouncer of a provincial gay bar in Wigan in that trousersuit. It was an incredibly bizarre decision.

P.s- did everyone know that Elena Risteska from 2006 wrote To The Sky?

I did! :) Only because I became a Tijana-stan and watched all her interviews! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always feel a weird sense of mixed pride and possessiveness when I hear ESC songs on mainstream stations... I'm not sure whether I like it or not. :P

I suppose it's just a strange feeling since it's only really been us hardcore fans who've obsessed over them for so long, and suddenly everyone is hearing them. It makes me even more defensive when someone starts slagging the contest off. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's been a few days since I've last been in here. Been fairly busy, as I've been away - but I'll do a full recap now!

For the first time ever - I went to watch the contest live this year with 5 other friends! What an absolutely incredible experience. I'm so glad I went, and it's one of the best things I've ever experienced in my life! I would fully recommend that anyone that is tempted to go does so! I had a smile on my face for the duration!

We were only in Copenhagen for 24 hours, but it just felt like so much longer, thanks to the welcoming, friendly atmosphere! From arriving in the airport, we were greeted by some ESC volunteers with maps/magazines about the contest. They were so nice, offering if they wanted them to take a photo of our group etc. This friendiness continued all over the Fan Mile and Eurovision island, and meeting fellow fans from all over Europe was just brilliant! Lots of people saw our flags etc, and come over and spoke to us. We were speaking to a Swedish family for a good 10 minutes outside the arena, and they even took pictures of us in our T-Shirts and wearing our scarves etc. Even fellow Brits were discussing their favourite entries with us! We had a sing along on the bus back from the arena, and some Danish fans attampted a Basim sing along in the street!

This kind of 'Eurovision family' feeling is great. It's not something that you'd see at competing countries at a football match etc. In the arena, we had people from Poland behind us, some Dutch in front. Everyone went wild when their countries' entry appeared on stage, and many were up for having photos taken etc. When you're in the arena, it literally is a feeling of Euphoria! I was up and dancing within minutes - and I'd not even drank that much! :D

The only thing that did annoy me was the booing of the girls from Russia. It wasn't *that* loud during the Jury Final, but even so, it was totally disrespectful to the twins. The poor girls were just representing a song for their country, and have nothing to do with the politics. I was discusted just how loud the booing during the Saturday night final was. I saw an interview straight after the final with them for some Russian TV channel, and they looked as if they had been crying, and that scary guy that's always with them was offering moral support. Shame on the fans that booed!

It's such a weird atmosphere in the arena. You feel completely safe, and I was amazed at just how close fans can get to the acts. In the Fan Zone pit, the acts for each country were literally walking from the stage, through the audience into the green room! I went out to the toilets at one point, and Ovi from Romania walked past me...twice! The best experience had to be meeting Jon Ola Sand, though. After the fake votes had finished, we spotted him walking out of the gallery, and my mate took a selfie with him! I got chance to shake is hand and say how much I'd enjoyed the show. Completely random! The security guys looked rather on edge at this point, mind you... ;)

Now, moving onto the final last night...

First off - a big well done to Conchita and Austria. It was a very good song, and did deserve to win, amidst all of the 'contrversy'. I'm not entirely sure that all of the votes came for the song and performance, but that some came for the 'bearded lady' novely. Either way - a big well done!

I was a little disappointed with Molly's final placing, but as a friend said last night, pretty much al the songs above here were very good too, and deserved to place where they were. As much as I support the lovely Molly, something didn't sound *quite* right with her performance last night. It sounded completely different to the CD and live recordings in the past. I can't place my hand on it, but it just sounded a little below par. On the Friday night performance - where we were , everything sounded great the arena. But I'll have to consult my recording of the TV feed to see what it looked and sounded like on TV.

I totally wish her luck in the future, despite the placing. The BBC have definitely gone down the right route this year! I only wish that more of the British public would be more supportive. Critiscising Molly is only going to make the BBC do a U-turn and send someone like bloody Tiffany or whoever again next year!

Overall, I have enjoyed this contest more that any other. I've been into it since the National Selections last year, and have now upgraded to 'fan boy', I think! I love it! I've made some new friends on here, Facebook/Twitter and fan sites too. Everyone seems so friendly in the world of Eurovision! I'm completely depressed today though, and definitely have PED. Can anyone help me with some suggestions on how to cheer myself up?
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a song similar to Alexandra Burke - The Silence next year :3
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conchita's victory featured just now in the France24 English language news channel. (They also ran a small Eurovision feature before the contest.) They mentioned Alf Poier (Austria 2003) had said that Conchita needs psychiatric help :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I'm not sure I see the comparison between Cesar and Conchita, if I'm honest.

I am proud of everything that Conchita stands for. I am proud that her message was heard clearly through Europe - and even the world last night. "We are a unity and we are unstoppable". 180+ million people heard that. As a result, RLAP is currently charting #1 in Russia. In Belarus. in Ukraine. It's currently charting in Asian countries that have no laws protecting LGBT communities. #1 in Russia - it sends a very powerful message, imo.

Norton said it well once Conchita won last night - Europe is genuinely a brighter place to be. And I agree. Conchita's win sends a message, and I hope the East is taking note. Last night, someone said that this comment was overestimating the influence of Eurovision, but I don't think so. Politicians are talking about it in the East. It's obviously rustled their feathers, and I hope that Conchita continues to chart well there.

Oh, and she handled it like a pro *trophy thrust into the air*.

Well said and I totally agree. It sends a message loud and clear and that message was incredibly well received in the arena last night, The crowd response, even while she was singing the first time was amazing, and the support she had was overwhelming and has continued into the charts well above what I'd predicted in certain countries.

And when I was going to bed last night, I overheard my parents in their room talking about how happy they were for Conchita to win. And then I heard my dad who, I wouldn't say is aggressively homophobic/transphobic, but is generally ignorant and old-fashioned when it comes to these sorts of things, said that he thought it was nice to see her win especially for transgendered people. (I'm aware that Conchita/Tom isn't trans, but the sentiment is still the same in that she represents equality and progression, also concerning LGBT rights in particular)

It just made me so happy to hear that from my parents. To know that Conchita was given a platform, that she used to shine a light on diversity and equality, and she came away a winner so millions of people watching all over will have seen her progressive message, and I think that's wonderful. ^_^
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much were the tickets by the way? I want to go next year (60th anniversary HELLO) and I want to be in the fan zone (those crazy folks waving the flags like crazy instead of those people standing around the arena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sat.Deelay wrote: »
    The best experience had to be meeting Jon Ola Sand, though. After the fake votes had finished, we spotted him walking out of the gallery, and my mate took a selfie with him! I got chance to shake is hand and say how much I'd enjoyed the show. Completely random! The security guys looked rather on edge at this point, mind you... ;)
    You lucky lot! :eek:

So so glad you had a great time. I'd love to go to an ESC at some point, it's a goal of mine. Thanks so much for the account! The Eurovision spirit has to be one of the best things in this world. :)
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Anyone else have a girl crush on Ilse? She's so cute! I loved her excitement when all the contestants walked on stage at the beginning.

You have seen nothing yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJIqpMTe_8w

(luckily, she was still a bit shy on the night :D)
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,936
    Forum Member
    Rita Ora for Eurovision 2015 :p good catchy pop song though.

CATS sounded great on the radio. Took me ages to start to like it, just before the semis in fact, but so glad it's smashing the charts - perfect fodder for Radio 2 and Heart.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,442
    Forum Member
    You have seen nothing yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJIqpMTe_8w

(luckily, she was still a bit shy on the night :D)

I adore her! I love how Waylon basically had to hold her down so the photographers could get a picture of them both! :D
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,288
    Forum Member
    Mikay wrote: »
    The moment we all first heard Austria
    The moment we all heard the Netherlands (albeit the acoustic version, but the full version came out not long after: here)

This is amazing! Love the shock at Sanna flying high with the bookies!

I declared Belarus and Switzerland wouldn't qualify on one of the previous pages! :D (I did have a dramatic turn around with Hunter of Stars eventually though!)

My original thoughts on Netherlands:

"It's a nice enough song, looking forward to the proper version."
    "It's a nice little ditty that Calm After The Storm, but it does drag on a bit. One of them songs where you have to be in the mood to listen to it... ideally a melancholic one!"

Oh dear! :blush: It did get into my top 20 in the end and I do really like it now.

This is my favourite quote from Chickens though: "An added bonus in tonight's German show........Emma Marrone will be performing.:-)"

We all know how that turned out! :o:D

Scrolling through the Conchy reveal, I loved my excitement at Tick-Tock v3.0 the night before:

"Same here, v3.0 leaping from 20th to 7th in my rankings! I did like the previous versions, but I love it now it has a proper structure and the clunky lyrics/incest line have been sorted out. "

My thoughts on Austria:

"Fabulous stuff from Conchita! Very Bond theme, like everyone else has said. The bath of rose petals was amazing! :-D"
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only sad thing about Conchy winning, is that in 7 months or so when the next bout of NFs begin, by the time to comes to the final NF, we're all going to be sick to death of RLAP :P

I'll enjoy it more than Only Teardrops, though :blush:
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the local BBC station on this afternoon - and after Norwich's relegation was confirmed, they had a little montage of radio commentary of various games this year, with Rise Like A Phoenix backing it! *thud*
This discussion has been closed.