Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Molly's performance was hit by technical issues in Lithuania.
    http://eurovoix.com/2014/05/11/united-kingdom-broadcast-issues-hit-during-the-uk-performance/
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alicey wrote: »
    It's a shame Emma decided to enter with such a rubbish song. Probably the worst song I've heard of hers.

I always got the feeling that she never wanted to be there.
  • Options
    nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuartzMan wrote: »
    So Amsterdam 2016 it is then :p:p:D

I really think that could happen! I can't wait to see what they send next year.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching the videos on the link I've just been reminded how awful the camera angles were. Any slow shots looked ridiculously shaky and the roving shot for the first chorus nearly missed Molly out altogether.

Does the delegation or EBU choose the shots and angles?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oikotimes article is nonsense, delegations would not be making those decisions so rashly. In fact they would have to return home to analyse results, budget for next year etc. As it is the 60th contest next year, expect a high number of entrants including some returnees. I do wonder whether Russia will be offended by such disgraceful behaviour from the crowd in what should be a light hearted competition.

I was disappointed in Graham Norton's commentary this year. Apart from factual errors, such as "Armenia are always top 5", "Austria last won 49 years ago", he was rather snide and dismissive of the majority of songs without being particularly funny!

As for UK, I don't think BBC should be congratulated as much as some have said. Molly and her song could have been given a half hour documentary like Blue were given a few years ago. She should have been given more promotion in front of the general public. This is not for votes but to ensure the British public feel part of the contest. I think the whole process from the BBC should be more transparent.
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nunaney wrote: »
    I really think that could happen! I can't wait to see what they send next year.

Miss Montreal was saying last week she wants to go.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,288
    Forum Member
    Worst staging of the contest has to be Romania. Everything about it was awkward. The hologram looked cheap and pointless and then Ovi inside the circular piano whilst Paula did some weird arm waving and finishing off with a cringing neck embrace between the two.

Of course what they should have performed was this which now has an official video. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_Y5YiibOc

Should've roped in Ruslana for a cameo! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-F_t8cV_P64#t=87
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RogerMilla wrote: »
    I was disappointed in Graham Norton's commentary this year. Apart from factual errors, such as "Armenia are always top 5", "Austria last won 49 years ago", he was rather snide and dismissive of the majority of songs without being particularly funny!
    I agree with this. At some points, I did wonder if he was becoming a bit Wogan-esque.
  • Options
    KozmicBluesKozmicBlues Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Watching the videos on the link I've just been reminded how awful the camera angles were. Any slow shots looked ridiculously shaky and the roving shot for the first chorus nearly missed Molly out altogether.

Does the delegation or EBU choose the shots and angles?

The zooming really made me very dizzy. And at one point it looked like the roving camera fell over.
  • Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel Norton has got progressively worse. I didn't find him funny at all this time either.
  • Options
    QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I agree with this. At some points, I did wonder if he was becoming a bit Wogan-esque.

Can you blame him really? I think it was just the lack of points for Molly. With the likes of certain other countries scoring much higher. It sort of deflated a lot of people who probably thought Molly was on for a top 5 placing.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2 Eurovision is winding down with Sounds of the Seventies, and imho, some of the best winners ever :)
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Norton comments. He had a few funny quips but this year he seemed a bit over the whole thing and I don't think he liked the being singled out with confetti. He seemed rather despondent when the points were coming in also.
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    And Austria won the contest in the year that the UK were last drawn last to sing... Spooky

Austria also won the contest in a year where an act represented their country for the third time consecutively!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    R2 Eurovision is winding down with Sounds of the Seventies, and imho, some of the best winners ever :)

I suggest we all give Radio 2 (And perhaps the BBC in general) a few little messages of support and gratitude due to their approach to the contest this year. I have thoroughly enjoyed Radio 2 Eurovision and pray that they give it another go next year. I suppose the least we could do as mega fans is to let them know our appreciation. :):kitty:
  • Options
    Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RogerMilla wrote: »
    Not forgetting "Greece don't have Turkey to vote for" and numerous gaffs as results were announced when he didn't look to see who'd already been given points. Eurovision should be comedy gold without resorting to snide comments but it requires effort.
    Lisa.B wrote: »

It will never get old but will Ruslana be welcome back in Belgium after her promise that they would win with Mother.
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice early night tonight! The last few have been far from early due to all the excitement.
    Tomorrow is the start of a new week, and the last week of university life for me ever.

Then, from Saturday onwards, I can re-watch the 2014 contest and begin on the 41 Eurovision Song Contests I've yet to watch. WOO! (WOO! and another .. WOO!)
  • Options
    wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought - how important is it nowadays to have votes broken down by country? So many other Eurovision traditions have gone (orchestra, live instruments, juries voting blind to focus only on the song) it makes me wonder just what the point is of having voting by country especially when it is open to abuse. The technology is there now to have one single aggregated vote across Europe and to allocate a ranking based on a straight pan European vote, where one vote really would count equally to another. The top songs really would depend purely on how many people voted for them - true democracy and equality. You could also have 100% televoting as it wouldn't really matter if San Marino has a party line with Italy or if Crimea is in Russia, Ukraine or Outer Mongolia. By having a single pan Europe televote, you might even be able to squeeze in a few more songs. Plus it would cost Azerbaijan a lot more to try and skew the televote by giving away free simcards as they'd have to buy enough to guarantee several million voters.

Frankly I've had enough of watching past performers hamming it up to the camera to read the votes, stilted attempts at humour whilst some unfunny clown stands in front of the town fountain having his 90 seconds of fame, I'd happily give up national voting and juries if it finally led to a truly representative and transparent vote. You'd still have the tension whilst the votes were collated and checked but the process would be over that much quicker without buffoons playing to camera holding up proceedings as happened last night.
  • Options
    cc264cc264 Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Side note:

Can't stop playing Spain's 2012 song!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8J1b62wOao
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    Nice early night tonight! The last few have been far from early due to all the excitement.
    Tomorrow is the start of a new week, and the last week of university life for me ever.

Then, from Saturday onwards, I can re-watch the 2014 contest and begin on the 41 Eurovision Song Contests I've yet to watch. WOO! (WOO! and another .. WOO!)

Best of luck for this week Mikay, and don't forget to post your watching habits :D

I think I'll have an earlyish night tonight too, back to work for me tomorrow afternoon...
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so gutted it's all over. Feeling sorta lost, lmao.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want it to be over because it means it's time to face exams and research projects this week. :cry:
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,650
    Forum Member
    Gone into cold turkey! A year to wait!
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella Jones from Austria
    Laura van den Bruel from Belgium (aka Iris from 2012)
    Ivan Broggini from Switzerland

The 3 jurors who ranked UK first :D
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    Stella Jones from Austria
    Laura van den Bruel from Belgium (aka Iris from 2012)
    Ivan Broggini from Switzerland

The 3 jurors who ranked UK first :D
    I wonder if Stella Jones has roots or family connections to the UK. Because her name is very British. Or connections with America.
This discussion has been closed.