Options

Complain to Ofcom

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
Forum Member
✭✭
I have sent a complaint to Ofcom about the results from the UK. It should not be possible for the song that is voted the best by the public to not get any points whatsoever. Every single person in the country could have voted for then bar none and they would have been overruled by a five-person jury. Anybody who voted for Poland should get their money back for the calls made during voting.

Comments

• Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    I have sent a complaint to Ofcom about the results from the UK. It should not be possible for the song that is voted the best by the public to not get any points whatsoever. Every single person in the country could have voted for then bar none and they would have been overruled by a five-person jury. Anybody who voted for Poland should get their money back for the calls made during voting.

No it was actually possible for Poland to still get our 12 if the public results where the complete opposite of the jury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    No it was actually possible for Poland to still get our 12 if the public results where the complete opposite of the jury.

The jury voted it the worst and the public voted it the best and they got no points. It was impossible for Poland to score any points no matter what the public voted after the dress rehearsal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The jury voted it the worst and the public voted it the best and they got no points. It was impossible for Poland to score any points no matter what the public voted after the dress rehearsal.

Yeah but if the public vote had been a complete reversal of the jury vote Poland would have received our twelve.

I think the best thing to do is to have the juries vote on the Live saturday show however it would cause some problems if anything went wrong
  • Options
    thomizzlethomizzle Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Polish entry really was that popular here it'd be up there on the iTunes chart with Conchita, Common Linnets and Molly. It isn't.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd be better off contacting the relevant branch of the EBU.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member

Here is an example:

Poland Televote 1 Jury 25 total 26

Song 2 televote 14 jury 14 total 28

song 3 televote 15 jury 12 total 27

song 4 televote 2 jury 2 total 4

song 5 tele 3 jury 24 total 27

song 6 tele 4 jury 23 total 27

song 7 tele 11 jury 1 total 12

song 8 tele 25 jury 8 total 33

song 9 tele 6 jury 21 total 27

song 10 tele 10 jury 19 total 29

song 11 televote 16 jury 13 total 29

song 12 televote 18 jury 11 total 29

song 13 tele 24 jury 3 total 27

song 14 tele 23 jury 8 total 31

song 15 tele 17 jury 20 total 37

song 16 tele 7 jury 4 total 11

song 17 tele 5 jury 22 total 27

song 18 tele 8 jury 18 total 26

song 19 tele 9 jury 5 total 14

song 20 tele 12 jury 17 total 29

song 21 tele 19 jury 16 total 35

song 22 tele 20 jury 6 total 26

song 23 tele 21 jury 9 total 30

song 24 tele 13 jury 7 total 20

song 25 tele 22 jury 15 total 37

so on that basis Poland with 26 pts would be 6th highest and score 5 points from the UK , so your arguement isnt true, and so OFCOM wouldnt do anything.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who voted for Poland, I'll give you a clue. If Turkey is in the competition Germany gives it 12 points. Google "gastarbeiter".
  • Options
    goodmanshatergoodmanshater Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I don't see that ofcom needs to do anything since everything was done according to the rules. But I think the rules are shown to be flawed if the song which comes first in the popular vote get nul points while a song which is judged 3rd by both televote and jury is given douze points. I think BBC should lobby for a change. My preference would be for the entries to be ranked by the highest position given to them by either jury or televote. Then use the combined score to resolve the ties. On this basis we would have Malta 1 (6), Poland 1 (26), Finland 2 (13), Greece 2 (16), Austria 3 (6)... (combined score in brackets) which would then be resolved as Malta 12 points, Poland 10, Finland 8, Greece 7, Austria 6 etc. I feel that this gives a better reflection of a countries choices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you would be moaning that Italy has given Romania high points, they can't win
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who voted for Poland, I'll give you a clue. If Turkey is in the competition Germany gives it 12 points. Google "gastarbeiter".

That is actually slightly rasict and disgraceful im a british person and voted for poland like many others and also if polish people live in the uk they deserve to be part of the british public not cast a side in a little group
  • Options
    philip6philip6 Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    They didn't write the rules of the contest - the EBU did!!

Perhaps if your fave song doesn't get through in XFactoridolvoice you'll complain to OFCOM as well?!
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    That is actually slightly rasict and disgraceful im a british person and voted for poland like many others and also if polish people live in the uk they deserve to be part of the british public not cast a side in a little group

So did you vote for the song with the dubious lyrics, available on the subtitle button. Or was it the scrubber with the wash tub, or the girl doing unspeakable things with the mop in a bucket? Do tell.

If you voted for Poland because you are Polish that's perfectly acceptable, I'm sure British people in Spain vote for the UK, why not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was churning butter
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did you vote for the song with the dubious lyrics, available on the subtitle button. Or was it the scrubber with the wash tub, or the girl doing unspeakable things with the mop in a bucket? Do tell.

If you voted for Poland because you are Polish that's perfectly acceptable, I'm sure British people in Spain vote for the UK, why not?

If you listen to the english lyrics it was not dirty i voted for the act i liked best. I dont like people saying that the whole of polish nationals moved to britian to rig the votes which is untrue they come here for a better life so why shouldnt they vote and if they did who says they voted for poland
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,890
    Forum Member

Extra time on your hands today? The rules were set out in advance and the UK followed the rules. I think the jury score was correct, Poland's song was one of worst.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for the jury I say.
    If Poland was voted the best by the tele vote then thank goodness we don't have a Song for Europe any more.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are covered by the terms and conditions. Although it was extremely unlikely that Poland were going to get an UK votes after the jury vote was decided, it was technically still possible. Besides, it's likely that most of the votes came from Polish immigrants anyway.
  • Options
    thomizzlethomizzle Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a conversation with my Polish colleague actually who voted 18 times for them that night lol I also voted - I like the song :P
  • Options
    luminous2000luminous2000 Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I was suprised that this was possible. I had assumed that the system was along the lines of both the jury and the televote allocating 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to countries and adding them together to give the the combined order with the higher televote settling ties.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Boo Frikking Hoo
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    It is not an OFCOM matter.

However I do think this issue needs to be looked at.

If the public have voted a song 1st in the public vote that should be acknowledged in some way in the points system.

To receive no points at all does seem wrong.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was suprised that this was possible. I had assumed that the system was along the lines of both the jury and the televote allocating 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to countries and adding them together to give the the combined order with the higher televote settling ties.
    That was the 2009-2012 system. Both have their pros and cons. I'll trust in the EBU to decide on the best one. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    They are covered by the terms and conditions. Although it was extremely unlikely that Poland were going to get an UK votes after the jury vote was decided, it was technically still possible. Besides, it's likely that most of the votes came from Polish immigrants anyway.

That actually doesn't matter.

With saying that, the juries are there for exactly this purpose - it may need to be tweaked but not by much IMO.
    Obviously, jury members need to be squeaky clean.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EUROBOY65 wrote: »
    Here is an example:

Poland Televote 1 Jury 25 total 26

Song 2 televote 14 jury 14 total 28

song 3 televote 15 jury 12 total 27

song 4 televote 2 jury 2 total 4

song 5 tele 3 jury 24 total 27

song 6 tele 4 jury 23 total 27

song 7 tele 11 jury 1 total 12

song 8 tele 25 jury 8 total 33

song 9 tele 6 jury 21 total 27

song 10 tele 10 jury 19 total 29

song 11 televote 16 jury 13 total 29

song 12 televote 18 jury 11 total 29

song 13 tele 24 jury 3 total 27

song 14 tele 23 jury 8 total 31

song 15 tele 17 jury 20 total 37

song 16 tele 7 jury 4 total 11

song 17 tele 5 jury 22 total 27

song 18 tele 8 jury 18 total 26

song 19 tele 9 jury 5 total 14

song 20 tele 12 jury 17 total 29

song 21 tele 19 jury 16 total 35

song 22 tele 20 jury 6 total 26

song 23 tele 21 jury 9 total 30

song 24 tele 13 jury 7 total 20

song 25 tele 22 jury 15 total 37

so on that basis Poland with 26 pts would be 6th highest and score 5 points from the UK , so your arguement isnt true, and so OFCOM wouldnt do anything.

Technically untrue
    It shares 6 place with 3 other countries - so how is it decided which country gets 5 points, which country gets 4 points & which country gets 3 points :confused:

Also who gets the remaining scores of 2 points & 1 point - since there are 6 countries with 27 points?
  • Options
    s_mirages_mirage Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find myself have two conflicting opinions about this. On the one hand the jury vote does act as a crap filter, but on the other hand, since the jury vote has already taken place, it has already been determined that some votes will be a waste of a phone call. Something the organizers would be aware of but not the public.

Perhaps the jury should only have a 33% share of the vote or perhaps it should have to vote at the same time as the public. I'm not sure of the solution to this one.