Options

Can ITV daytime get any worse?

i4ui4u Posts: 55,092
Forum Member
It's dire from 6:00am through to 1:30pm. Good Morning Britain Loos Women without the chairperson. Then Lorrorange Kelly with more celeb chit tat followed by the Jeremy Kyle Show and it's exploitation of the underclass. And as a reminder what time of day it is This Morning which carefully skirts around any controversy that a regular contributor may be involved in then to finish off there's Loose Women the original video drones.

Just when you think it can't get any worse on This Morning today they had a member of the public being interviewed about her lover who slept with her best friend, and why should we care about this? Because this member of the public would have empathy for Katie Price who's partner is alleged to have slept with one of Ms Price's friends!!

There was no suggestion this female member of the public knew or had any connection with Ms Price.

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    It's dire from 6:00am through to 1:30pm. Good Morning Britain Loos Women without the chairperson. Then Lorrorange Kelly with more celeb chit tat followed by the Jeremy Kyle Show and it's exploitation of the underclass. And as a reminder what time of day it is This Morning which carefully skirts around any controversy that a regular contributor may be involved in then to finish off there's Loose Women the original video drones.

Just when you think it can't get any worse on This Morning today they had a member of the public being interviewed about her lover who slept with her best friend, and why should we care about this? Because this member of the public would have empathy for Katie Price who's partner is alleged to have slept with one of Ms Price's friends!!

There was no suggestion this female member of the public knew or had any connection with Ms Price.

I did think the woman on today talking about her empathy for Katie Price was trash, she just used it as a reason to get on TV.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can always do something else you do not have to watch it.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than BBC, but all in all daytime TV on every channel is shit
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my days off work, I thank God for DVD's and Netflix. Daytime tv is terrible especially on BBC and ITV.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »

Ken Bruce on Radio 2 is far better and his audience figures probably beat all daytime channels combined. Daytime television is meant to be cheap and disposable as it's the least watched part of the schedule( apart ftom through the night). Mostly I'm at work and when not, I'm not sitting thinking about how awful Loose Women is as I wouldn't watch that or the antiques and makeover rubbish on BBC One at any time.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    On my days off work, I thank God for DVD's and Netflix. Daytime tv is terrible especially on BBC and ITV.

Do you have no other way to pass your time apart from watching TV? Books, radio, library, walking etc etc?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all have working brains, day time TV isn't for you. Begin to worry if you start to like it.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC daytime programming are good. I like saints and scroungers and the sheriffs are coming along with helicopter heroes. They are certainly better than ITVs offering loose women which is really scraping the barrel of programming by itv
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if ITV daytime is rubbish what about prime time?

Excluding News and Emmerdsle ALL ITV in prime time is repeats, repeat of a repeat film shown five months ago and post news repeats.

BBC1/2 all new shows in Primetime!
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Do you have no other way to pass your time apart from watching TV? Books, radio, library, walking etc etc?

If my Friends aren't working I do go and meet up with them. Otherwise I just like to chill in front of the TV on my day off.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wight Stuff on C5 is the best daytime show by a county mile although I could not watch it daily.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my Friends aren't working I do go and meet up with them. Otherwise I just like to chill in front of the TV on my day off.

Build up a backlog of recorded programmes that you like.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could daytime ITV get worse? Yes, easily.
    They could have fewer advertisements - then there'd be more of their awful programmes to watch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AWFUL is a word that comes to mind when describing ITV prime time programmimg. And clueless when it comes to what to put on
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just always puzzled by the number of people on Digital Spy who seem to watch TV at least 24 hours a day! :):):)
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was off school sick for several extended periods during the 1990s and ITV daytime wasn't significantly better then.

The schedule went something like this:

9:25am Crosswits/ Win, Lose or Draw

These quizzes I liked.

9:55am The Time, The Place

A million times better than any of its successors in terms of quality and subjects discussed.

10:25am This Morning with Richard and Judy

Somewhat better and less celebrity-obsessed than it is now.

12:30pm ITN Lunchtime News

It lost its way in the early-mid 2000s during the 'walking news' era but that aside, it's about the same, albeit a little too short these days.

From 1pm onwards it was regional. and this meant a mixture of Australian soaps of varying eras and quality, regional programmes like Gardening Time with the late Geoff Amos, who even then was well past retirement age (I believe this was shown in some other regions, though). I recall a regional cookery programme with a woman with an early 1990s style Deirdre Barlow perm and big, red-rimmed glasses, bought-in cookery like Yan Can Cook, cheap, and largely-forgotten quizzes, before a short news bulletin at 3:25pm, after which Children's ITV would start. Pre-school children's programmes were shown at lunchtime previously, with the main CITV starting at 4pm.

Things were probably a tad better in the 1980s with afternoons of snooker and semi-networked, reasonably good chatshows with decent interviewers like Mavis Nicholson (grossly under-used in the last 20 years in my view - she's still very sharp), but in general there was a lot of cheap rubbish on ITV daytime in the 1990s.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member

Yes but some channels like Yesterday, Dave, National Geographic and even Sky1 aren't all that different in the daytime than the evening so there must always be something to watch, then there's things like music video channels which are as good in the daytime as any other time, is the reign of terror of daytime TV over with all the extra choice we have nowadays? Who needs BBC ONE & ITV, when there's all sorts of other channels to watch, I do watch The Wright Stuff on Channel 5 however, that's a good daytime programme.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You obviously couldn't get enough of it though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is massive scope to put together a worse schedule. Just think what they put on ITV2....
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On my days off i thank god for my garden and internet radio. Oh sorry forgot im an atheist. Thank god i remembered that one! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    I did think the woman on today talking about her empathy for Katie Price was trash, she just used it as a reason to get on TV.

It's the producers of the show I blame for inviting her on to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ozark1 wrote: »
    There is massive scope to put together a worse schedule. Just think what they put on ITV2....

True, but you'd think they'd try and do something better with the 7.5 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You obviously couldn't get enough of it though!

I did and switched away, the whole thrust of ITV1 daytime seems to have been skewed towards an ITV2 audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I was off school sick for several extended periods during the 1990s and ITV daytime wasn't significantly better then.

The schedule went something like this:

9:25am Crosswits/ Win, Lose or Draw

These quizzes I liked.

9:55am The Time, The Place

A million times better than any of its successors in terms of quality and subjects discussed.

10:25am This Morning with Richard and Judy

Somewhat better and less celebrity-obsessed than it is now.

12:30pm ITN Lunchtime News

It lost its way in the early-mid 2000s during the 'walking news' era but that aside, it's about the same, albeit a little too short these days.

From 1pm onwards it was regional. and this meant a mixture of Australian soaps of varying eras and quality, regional programmes like Gardening Time with the late Geoff Amos, who even then was well past retirement age (I believe this was shown in some other regions, though). I recall a regional cookery programme with a woman with an early 1990s style Deirdre Barlow perm and big, red-rimmed glasses, bought-in cookery like Yan Can Cook, cheap, and largely-forgotten quizzes, before a short news bulletin at 3:25pm, after which Children's ITV would start. Pre-school children's programmes were shown at lunchtime previously, with the main CITV starting at 4pm.

Things were probably a tad better in the 1980s with afternoons of snooker and semi-networked, reasonably good chatshows with decent interviewers like Mavis Nicholson (grossly under-used in the last 20 years in my view - she's still very sharp), but in general there was a lot of cheap rubbish on ITV daytime in the 1990s.
    ITV lost it way when granada started run the channel ten years ago. I remember the days of win lose or draw,the time the place,crown court,afternoon films. Yes the daytime schedule was alot better the what is being offered. But itv cater for the shareholders and not the viewer these days. JUST SAYING
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »

The BBC does produce some good daytime tv dramas

The Indian Doctor
    Father Brown
    WPC 52