Options

World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's certainly not the first time either the Beeb or ITV have used a current player in their line-ups, ITV had Gary Neville in 2002, who had missed out through injury, and Gareth Southgate in 2006, while the Beeb used Jamie Redknapp in 2002 when he was still just about an England player. Even Jamie Carragher had only recently retired from England duty in 2012 and he was a very good, impartial pundit (just ask Andriy Voronin).

No difference to when Sky get in injured players for Premier League matches.

Voronin was a shocking payer...
    im surprised that in the press pack it dont say all the comms, and co comms like BBC...
    we know Clive, Sam are going and Speight but the 4th comm would be nice to know... same with the co comms, just Andy and Clarke we are told, come on ITV up your game, tell us everything..
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's certainly not the first time either the Beeb or ITV have used a current player in their line-ups, ITV had Gary Neville in 2002, who had missed out through injury, and Gareth Southgate in 2006, while the Beeb used Jamie Redknapp in 2002 when he was still just about an England player. Even Jamie Carragher had only recently retired from England duty in 2012 and he was a very good, impartial pundit (just ask Andriy Voronin).

No difference to when Sky get in injured players for Premier League matches.

Or of course Adebayor in 2010. I'm not against current players being used per se, particularly on a tournament whet they're not involved, but Andros Townsend is very young and I have my doubts about what he might offer. We shall see though.

I think there's a big disparity between ITVs best and weakest pundits here. If they had 7/8 instead I think it would be better. But it's better than in 2010 when they had Townsend, Southgate and Desailly doing the final - I'd ideally like to see Hoddle, Dixon and O'Neill doing it this time. It's just a shame ITV couldn't get at least 1 of Martinez/Carragher back again and keep the likes of Champion, Beglin and Burley on. Then I think we could have been looking at their best World Cup.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like former Middlesbrough player Juninho will be joining the BBC as a pundit. I liked watching him as a player all those years ago as I was in the North East when he joined Boro so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the broadcast team.

He joins Thierry Henry, Rio Ferdinand, Clarence Seedorf and Brad Friedel as former players to be brought in to help out with analysis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27401926
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that means the BBC and ITV both have 10 studio pundits this year, albeit 4 on the BBC are doing other things too whether it be radio or co-commentary. I think this is maybe more than they've both had previously, which seems slightly odd considering there aren't going to be too many highlight shows this time around.

Each has 20 games on their main channel in the group stages I believe, so if they use 3 pundits for each one that's 60 studio slots for 10 pundits for each channel - so on average each one should appear in the studio 6 times during the first two weeks/20 live matches. That doesn't sound that much.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad the BBC have brought in a Brazilian pundit, it seemed like a pretty glaring omission in the original list that there was no Brazilian voice for the Brazilian World Cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if anyone would be brave enough to ask Ashley Cole to be a pundit :D
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's congratulations to Adrian Chiles, as he has now become the only living broadcaster to anchor consecutive World Cups for ITV, a feat that not even the great Des Lynam managed!

Can't help but feel that there's a shortage of "flavour of the month" football presenters, especially at the BBC, otherwise Chiles would have gone the way of Elton Welsby, Matt Lorenzo, Bob Wilson, Lynam and Steve Rider. Also, ITV seem to have blown their poached presenter budget on Susanna Reid!:D
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Front page of the Daily Star having a pop at itv for not listing any female on-air talent in the press launch. Do me a favour, love.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's congratulations to Adrian Chiles, as he has now become the only living broadcaster to anchor consecutive World Cups for ITV, a feat that not even the great Des Lynam managed!

Can't help but feel that there's a shortage of "flavour of the month" football presenters, especially at the BBC, otherwise Chiles would have gone the way of Elton Welsby, Matt Lorenzo, Bob Wilson, Lynam and Steve Rider. Also, ITV seem to have blown their poached presenter budget on Susanna Reid!:D

I wouldn't be complaining if Chiles was replaced with Susanna Reid :D.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably, being the Daily Star, their angle will be somewhat different to that taken by the likes of Harriet Harman.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help but feel that there's a shortage of "flavour of the month" football presenters, especially at the BBC, otherwise Chiles would have gone the way of Elton Welsby, Matt Lorenzo, Bob Wilson, Lynam and Steve Rider.

Could have been Jake Humphrey if BT hadn't come along?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't the first time ITV hasn't listed all its commentators in its press pack - four years ago there was no mention of Ian Crocker, even though he did 16 games.

As you know already though, Joe Speight will be the third commentator. He'll be with Lee Dixon usually, although I think he gets one game with a different co-comm.

You'll have to wait and see who the fourth pairing is... but the commentator has a lot of Premier League experience, and the co-comm is also regularly heard on British television.

For logistical reasons there will be a fifth pair doing only one game on ITV4, who will be in London.
  • Options
    LostlamLostlam Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Any idea when the list of games either channel will be showing will be released?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lostlam wrote: »
    Any idea when the list of games either channel will be showing will be released?

For the group stage:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a537357/bbc-itv-fifa-world-cup-2014-coverage-schedule-full-details.html#~oEcfnab0pj1ERS
  • Options
    LostlamLostlam Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »

Thanks alot. I presume the knockout matches will be announced later on.
  • Options
    19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    ITV's punditry line-up includes (may not be a complete list):
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Gus Poyet
    Andros Townsend
    Roy Keane
    Patrick Vieira
    Glenn Hoddle
    Lee Dixon
    Ian Wright
    Gordon Strachan
    Martin O'Neill

The usual basis of imitation rather than innovation from ITV. The main anchor, commentator and half the pundits have all worked for the BBC at one stage or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    It isn't the first time ITV hasn't listed all its commentators in its press pack - four years ago there was no mention of Ian Crocker, even though he did 16 games.

As you know already though, Joe Speight will be the third commentator. He'll be with Lee Dixon usually, although I think he gets one game with a different co-comm.

You'll have to wait and see who the fourth pairing is... but the commentator has a lot of Premier League experience, and the co-comm is also regularly heard on British television.

For logistical reasons there will be a fifth pair doing only one game on ITV4, who will be in London.

Seems a bit of a waste to me to frequently take Dixon out of a studio role just to be 3rd choice co-commentator. If he was being used on commentary I'd have thought he should pretty much be first choice.

Will the 4th pairing do many live games, particularly on the main
    ITV channel?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1974 wrote: »
    The usual basis of imitation rather than innovation from ITV. The main anchor, commentator and half the pundits have all worked for the BBC at one stage or another.

And the same is true of the BBC's lineup with regard to ITV, so not sure what your point is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess you could say for Monday Night Football Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher are always in the studio and have done previous work for ITV. The same with Tyler and Parry. Good broadcasters are generally going to have worked in broadcasting before and I'm not convinced the World Cup is particularly the time to try new faces, unless they're someone like Mourinho maybe. But there are a few new faces for both channels. With the exception of Ian Wright, I think the ex BBC men are ITV's star names.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where can i get a world cup wall planner from?
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for this ariusuk. Lee Dixon has impressed me quite a few times in the commentaries he's done for NBC, so I look forward to hearing him on the games he's down for.

As for the 4th pairing, could the main commentator be Arlo White? As for co-comm, it could be a few (Don Goodman, Michael Owen, Davie Provan etc...).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    where can i get a world cup wall planner from?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/world-cup-wall-chart-download-2898248
    First one I found so sorry it is the Mirror lol
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Thanks for this ariusuk. Lee Dixon has impressed me quite a few times in the commentaries he's done for NBC, so I look forward to hearing him on the games he's down for.

As for the 4th pairing, could the main commentator be Arlo White? As for co-comm, it could be a few (Don Goodman, Michael Owen, Davie Provan etc...).

2 words

Andy Gray

You know it makes sense ;)
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the same is true of the BBC's lineup with regard to ITV, so not sure what your point is.

That simply isn't true.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that following the success of the journalist-led panel on BT Sport's European Football Show that BBC and ITV have gone for the same old tired formula with some pundits who think they are above doing proper research and actually earning their corn.

This was a great opportunity to have Tim Vickery at the core of BBC's coverage. Instead we will have Alan "Germany are an average side and eminently beatable" Hansen.

On commentary, none of BBC's big three have ever completely convinced me. I'd love to see Steve Bower play a much more prominent role, if only to read the reaction on here :D

I hope if an ITV game goes to penalties and Clive isn't on duty that lightning doesn't strike twice for Sam Matterface. Still, he gets to go home to Natalie Sawyer...