Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he gets to continue his life of luxury for another month "in order to not punish him twice"

I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me when he was punished the first time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    So, does this indicate that the prosecution will get to re-open their case?
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Seems I was right. More freedom and doing what and when he pleases.

This b*stard is going to walk free from all this >:(
    The public see it though Bella .... he loses even more respect especially as they've bought this up at the last minute ... blatantly trying to get him off under any circumstances.
    It sinks him further.
  • Options
    BeckyboopBeckyboop Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fathomer wrote: »
    Judge said that in order that the accused is not punished twice, he should be referred as an outpatient. I'm taking that to mean she already knows his sentence will be custodial at the end.

That's how I interpreted it as well. A tad unprofessional of M'lady?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Masipa: a proper inquiry would ensure that the accused gets a fair trial.

Masipa is persuaded that doubt has been created. She says a case has been made and she grants order.

I don't think there was anything else she could do, she laid out the evidence that meant the application should have been made.

I don't know how I feel about it.

I can see it had to be done, I can see that it could be that Roux snuck it in to evidence proper and could use it in trial and on appeal.

And also if he's got GAD, then he has, and at least if it has to remain on the record, then at least if it is, it has been challenged and confirmed and isn't some ambush waiting in the wings.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Helped by his biggest fan, My Lady.

She`s demonstrated far too deferential an attitude to OP, Roux and Nel. It`s like she`s afraid to exercise her own authority.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Moody Blue wrote: »
    Masipa said she didn't want him to be punished twice, so was happy for him to be an outpatient.

Does this suggest that she wil give him a jail sentence?

Course she won't send him to jail! The longer this farce drags out the longer she has to come up with some plausible reason to keep her darling Oscar out of clink.

When will he sign the film rights for this piece of entertaimment? He's gonna makes millions out of this when My Lady sends him off with her blessing.
  • Options
    cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    Being an outpatient won't be a holiday or a 20 min assessment for a couple of days. It will be a full evaluation. People seem upset that OP isn't being punished enough by this referral - kind of showing a lot if bias as to your views on what a psychiatric evaluation should entail.

Being an outpatient he'll be less likely to demonstrate extreme distress at his environment as well.

Bit disappointed at the people baying for blood in here
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people need to chill on the in/outpatient thing. Firstly the state has to be satisfied that whatever arrangements are made are suitable for assessing the condition. If the experts say he needs full time observation then that is what he'll have.

It also comes down to timing, the wait for inpatient assessment has been reported to be over 6 months. No doubt, outpatient can be far quicker. The judge knows that there is pressure to move things on.

But it comes down to what the medical experts recommend. And ultimately whatever it is he will be assessed throughly and independently by people who know what they're doing.

You can't easily fake such an assessment.
  • Options
    Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    what effect would there be on the lesser charges if he does have gad? surely at the very least it has nothing to do with the possession of illegal ammunition?
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    He can still get the full assessment - it's just that he won't be staying overnight. And if psychiatrists can have the wool pulled over their eyes that easily, the assessment is totally worthless anyway.

I agree. I think that having him attend as an out patient is perfectly reasonable. There is no merit in having him locked up IMO.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,572
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Helped by his biggest fan, My Lady.

I do believe she is >:( Otherwise why would she do that. She has pawed over him all the way through this.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    and now he gets to be an outpatient. wow. he has killed someone, he should be observed 24/7. so he gets to pop in for his daily assessment for an hour or so every day over a cup of tea.

This reminds me of Dewani, and even though he was sectioned he was allowed to miss group sessions, refuse medication and sit in his camper van browsing the internet - along with going home for several hours a day of course. I think he only had one session of treatment a week!
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleesi wrote: »
    He will be observed by a board of psychologists and psychiatrists. It sucks that he'll be an outpatient >:(but won't it be very difficult to fame. If he tried won't they catch him out.

His name is Oscar- he should get one. He can act normal when under no threat, he will be primed how to be, say and do. IMO
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    So he gets to continue his life of luxury for another month "in order to not punish him twice"

I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me when he was punished the first time.
    He hasn't been yet unless you count all this inconvenience. It's seriously eating into his party time >:(
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beckyboop wrote: »
    That's how I interpreted it as well. A tad unprofessional of M'lady?

She should have used the word potentially punishing him twice.

I think she had no choice but to come to this conclusion.
  • Options
    Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 9s
    Seems Nel is pretty convinced that OP will be punished at least ONCE.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    He hasn't faced any punishment, he's been out on bail unlike any other SA who has been charged while waiting trial, so being punished twice makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of Dewani, and even though he was sectioned he was allowed to miss group sessions, refuse medication and sit in his camper van browsing the internet - along with going home for several hours a day of course. I think he only had one session of treatment a week!

Then this will be reported back to the court, and won't look good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    He can still get the full assessment - it's just that he won't be staying overnight. And if psychiatrists can have the wool pulled over their eyes that easily, the assessment is totally worthless anyway.

BIB: but they aren't going to be paid to help OP's version. So they would be far more objective.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Anyone who ever thought this nasty piece of work would ever do jail time, lives in cloud cuckoo land.

And the longer the biased judge has dragged it out, makes that clearer.

Will she want a say in who plays her in OP's film?
    Maybe she'll spend the lastest holiday picking out actresses she wants to play her!
  • Options
    poppyrpoppyr Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This family can get off with murder. If this was a poor black guy, he would have jailed long time ago with no bail even with no legs.

Completely agree I am so angry. It's obvious white supremacy us still alive and kicking in post apartheid South Africa.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 3m

And just for the record Nel's word of "it will be investigated" is far from him being an outpatient.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cath99 wrote: »
    Being an outpatient won't be a holiday or a 20 min assessment for a couple of days. It will be a full evaluation. People seem upset that OP isn't being punished enough by this referral - kind of showing a lot if bias as to your views on what a psychiatric evaluation should entail.

Being an outpatient he'll be less likely to demonstrate extreme distress at his environment as well.

Bit disappointed at the people baying for blood in here

I agree. The decision about whether he's to be in outpatient or inpatient will be made by people who know far more about it than we do. The judge set out the case very clearly, and if she wants to treat the accused humanely, all credit to her.
  • Options
    BeckyboopBeckyboop Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    She should have used the word potentially punishing him twice.

I think she had no choice but to come to this conclusion.

'Potentially' - yes, absolutely.

I wonder if she'll clarify this on Tuesday?
This discussion has been closed.