Options

Film 'stars' you thought were going to be massive, and really weren't

Comments

• Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Slater only made 3 films that I can remember. I totally fell over heels for her. I'd like to think that her not being a huge star was through choice.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tale of two Michaels - Michael. Pare and Michael Beck.

Michael Pare starred in 'Eddy and the Cruisers', 'Streets of Fire' and 'The Philadelphia Experiment' in 1983 and 84. They were all moderate hits and good films but he didn't go on to become an A-lister.

Michael Beck is best known for playing 'Swan' in 'The Warriors' . And I believe he starred in 'Xanadu'. Again a handsome action hero type but perhaps these guys don't get the roles when you have pint-sized stars like Tom Cruise!?

They both appeared together in the TV series 'Houston Nights' but I've never seen that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    A tale of two Michaels - Michael. Pare and Michael Beck.

Michael Pare starred in 'Eddy and the Cruisers', 'Streets of Fire' and 'The Philadelphia Experiment' in 1983 and 84. They were all moderate hits and good films but he didn't go on to become an A-lister.

Michael Beck is best known for playing 'Swan' in 'The Warriors' . And I believe he starred in 'Xanadu'. Again a handsome action hero type but perhaps these guys don't get the roles when you have pint-sized stars like Tom Cruise!?

They both appeared together in the TV series 'Houston Nights' but I've never seen that.

When you said their names I didn't know them from Adam but when you said the films I could see them vividly.
    The former reminds me of the guy that played 'The Roketeer' who also seems to have slipped off of the planet.

That clean cut look would appear to be unpopular.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    yeah, apparently he threathened other actors his daughter was performing with on a Broadway show. Here's the interview she gave to the Guardian if anyone is interested. Apart from her dad, Thora is her own worst enemy it seems.

Hard to believe now in Ghostworld she was the lead and Scarlett Johansson the sidekick.

Not a big name but I thought Harry Lloyd would be one to watch but he's still stuck in supporting parts on TV (got killed off early during S1 of GoT).

Also Amelia Warner, Jamie Dornan's other half was the lead in the BBC's adaptation of Lorna Doone some years ago but her acting career just petered out.

Katie Jarvis star of Fish Tank alongside Michael Fassbender hasn't worked since, didn't help that she got pregnant straight after shooting, similar case to Keisha Castle Hughes who got pregnant shortly after playing Mary in the Nativity Story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame about Thora Birch.

I remember her from 'Paradise' which was a lovely film and she was perfect for the part.

Very few have made that transition through to adulthood.

I watched 'The Horse Whisperer' recently and was surprised to see that Scarlett Johansen was a child actor.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    When you said their names I didn't know them from Adam but when you said the films I could see them vividly.
    The former reminds me of the guy that played 'The Roketeer' who also seems to have slipped off of the planet.

That would be Billy Campbell, see post #2.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uma Thurman has done ok, considering she was in batman and robin AND the avengers.

Kill Bill saved Uma's career though. She had a string of flops under her belt following her ill fated portrayal of Prison Ivy! lol
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,292
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    Matt Bomer. Wentworth Miller.

He's about to portray Monty Cliff.

Good casting huh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Bridget Fonda & Alison Lohman both have just disappeared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Shame about Thora Birch.

I remember her from 'Paradise' which was a lovely film and she was perfect for the part.

Very few have made that transition through to adulthood.

I watched 'The Horse Whisperer' recently and was surprised to see that Scarlett Johansen was a child actor.

Her father makes Lindsay Lohan's parents look like mother & father of the year.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Shannyn Sossamon - was tipped to be the next big thing then nothing

Liv Tyler - hardly anything since LOTR

The Commitments - Robert Arkins, Andrew Strong, Bronagh Gallacher, Angeline Ball, Maria Doyle....
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin askwith, the bloke from the confessions movies, made loads of British horror films in the 70's.....

To really the best place to types this, but....
  • Options
    AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Jeff Anderson from Clerks and Clerks II - love that guy.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    He's about to portray Monty Cliff.

Good casting huh?

Brilliant! But this following his role in The Normal Heart, he may be well and truly typecast now.

You (or rather just I) wouldn't have guessed when he first appeared in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    What about Bridget Fonda & Alison Lohman both have just disappeared.

Like her image in Single White Female. She had a serious accident in 2003 :(
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen Slater.
    Virginia Madsen (at least until she openly admitted she took a step down)
    Angela Bassett.
    Elias Koteas.
    Brad Renfro.
    Howard Rollins (excels in Ragtime and A Soldier's Story, but his cast member Denzel Washington went on to become a superstar instead. Rollins is one of those who burn brightest and fastest, and die soonest).
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alicia Silverstone
    Hayley Joel Osment
    Charlie Sheen (obviously he's doing ok in TV land, but he had the potential to be a great film actor)
    Brad Douriff
    Tim Roth
    Orlando Bloom
    Geoffrey Rush (debatable I suppose; lots of high-profile films, but never in a lead role since Shine I don't think)
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of child stars would fall under this i guess.
    Mara Wilson
    Jonathon lipnicki
    Anna Chlumsky
    Tina majorino

Funny Keanu Reeves became massive after Bill and Ted, whereas Alex winters has never been seen again
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I always thought Tom Berenger would've been a bigger star , he was doing well up until the mid-80s , but since then not done so well .

Yeah, never really happend for him, did it? Real shame after his brilliant performance in Platoon. Should have had the world at his feet then.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of child stars would fall under this i guess.
    Mara Wilson
    Jonathon lipnicki
    Anna Chlumsky
    Tina majorino

Funny Keanu Reeves became massive after Bill and Ted, whereas Alex winters has never been seen again

Anna is on Veep and had a recurring role in Hannibal.

Tina was just in the Veronica Mars movie and had recurring roles on both True Blood & Grey's Anatomy.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alicia Silverstone

She was gorge in Clueless. Such a great performance.
    Hayley Joel Osment

Oh dear, his career never took off after The Sixth Sense. A case of peaking too early.

What about Jake Lloyd? Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Ep 1. He said the role almost ruined his life.

Mark Hamill became a great voice artist when his film career never took off in a big way. Arguably the greatest ever 'Joker' voice for Batman cartoons. And he's going to become big again with the release of the new Star Wars trilogy (currently filming in Pinewood studios). :)

What about Mike Myers? He was huge as Austin Powers and the voice of Shrek but not much else of note. Still, they were huge iconic parts so he can't complain!

Brandon Routh. He was Superman and er... that's about it in terms of high profile parts.

And Wentworth Miller sort of sabotaged his career by coming out as gay so it's doubtful casting agents will cast him in straight roles. Same might be true of Matt Bomer - who at one time was a serious candidate for Superman.

Clive Owen. Still making films (and he's now doing a US tv show) but the big US film roles dried up. And he could have been James Bond!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Brad Renfro.

Died of a heroin overdose in 2008, just before Heath Ledger.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skeet Ulrich
    Carrie-Anne Moss
    Guy Pearce

Not that they haven't worked. Just thought they would be bigger stars than they are
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Died of a heroin overdose in 2008, just before Heath Ledger.

I know. Rollins is another who died young.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emily Barclay was sensational in Suburban Mayhem but hasn't made a film in three years, whereas Mia Wasikowska who only had a supporting role has had far more success since.