Options

Real Radio's transition to Heart

Comments

• Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Exactly. The listener doesn't think they're local it's more a case of the listener doesn't think anything. It's just there when they turn the radio on. That is all the listener is bothered about.

Typical Global response by tarring everybody with the same brush, in thinking that the whole listening audience are thickos!!!
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    Ah yes....remember those times when no one believed heart was coming.....:kitty:

Can you remember ANYTHING ELSE perchance 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wckartist wrote: »
    Typical Global response by tarring everybody with the same brush, in thinking that the whole listening audience are thickos!!!

Agreed at least their predecessor GWR for ALL their faults at least credited their listenership with some IQ
    This lot don't ...sad but inevitable 😢
  • Options
    HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Can you remember ANYTHING ELSE perchance 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

No go on....refresh me...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No go on....refresh me...

I would so love to 😄

But sadly I'm not that stupid as half of this thread would disappear faster than Samantha's nose could twitch in Bewitched😄👃👃👃

That's the American comedy show by the way not the Irish "pop" group from The Big Reunion
    I can do irony too 😜
    Would they be on the more music variety playlist perchance ???
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Communicorp seem to of made the decision that it isn't worth paying the transmission fees to broadcast the station to an area outside the target TSA, try Team Rock if you're listening on DAB, that's where all the former XS crew went.

Thanks for that.

I've 2 DAB's at the moment. The main one, which I use in the office & kitchen at the back of the house, picks up Team Rock fine, but my clock-radio at the front of the house won't pick it up at all. Even taking the clock-radio into the back of the house and resetting & retuning it won't pick it up.

Might have to revert to Planet Rock to get me up in a morning.
  • Options
    PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if there's necessarily a correlation between intelligence and listening preference. Radios 3 and 4 probably get a higher IQ than, say, TalkSPORT but speech radio is a different beast to music radio.

I could just as easily imagine a lawyer getting home from a hard week in court and winding down with a bit of Club Classics as anyone else.

Also, different intelligent people will *care* about different things at different times. If all they're after is some tunes, will they care if local things are not mentioned? If they care about local things, would they tune into a music-led station or their BBC Local? Or go to a website, or read their local paper. Or Facebook.

Different people, different needs, different intelligence levels. You want some music, you know where to go. No tarring.
  • Options
    Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I've 2 DAB's at the moment. The main one, which I use in the office & kitchen at the back of the house, picks up Team Rock fine, but my clock-radio at the front of the house won't pick it up at all. Even taking the clock-radio into the back of the house and resetting & retuning it won't pick it up.

Might have to revert to Planet Rock to get me up in a morning.

Download the instructions for your clock radio and find out how to do a factory reset, when stations can't be picked up it usually means the memory's full, a factory reset will clear the memory and allow the new channels to appear.
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member

If you take all the content out of your station other than playing a handfull of tracks in quick rotation nobody is really listening anyway, its just background noise. Then you are free to treat your audience as thickos - they won't be offended as they are not really listening to you. Anybody that wants something more than background noise from their radio is tuned elsewhere, probably to the BBC.
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of ironic really seeing as you are the worst offender for linking radio listening habits with IQ levels.
    Oh and for the record Station ID doesn't work for Global and never has.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seeing as you are the worst offender for linking radio listening habits with IQ levels.

Is it any wonder when the "party line" is invariably.....

No one cares it isn't local

No one is hurt by the London traffic news going out by mistake through Yorkshire

No one cares that the same songs are being played constantly

No one noticed the silence, or adverts crashing a voice tracked show....

I just feel you treat the listener with contempt, as if they couldn't care less, as long as there's a bit of music in the background!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No one is hurt by the London traffic news going out by mistake through Yorkshire

I just feel you treat the listener with contempt, as if they couldn't care less, as long as there's a bit of music in the background!

Oh course Heart cares about its product. As if heart wants things to go wrong with its station output, of course not! Mistakes happens, just like on TV channels with programmes fail to screen, as if the channel doesn't care. Things go wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would so love to 😄

But sadly I'm not that stupid as half of this thread would disappear faster than Samantha's nose could twitch in Bewitched😄👃👃👃

That's the American comedy show by the way not the Irish "pop" group from The Big Reunion
    I can do irony too 😜
    Would they be on the more music variety playlist perchance ???

Painfully tedious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the 2pm who's on heart caller was well and truly northern! And there's everyone assuming all callers are from London.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sobeit wrote: »
    If you take all the content out of your station other than playing a handfull of tracks in quick rotation nobody is really listening anyway, its just background noise. Then you are free to treat your audience as thickos - they won't be offended as they are not really listening to you. Anybody that wants something more than background noise from their radio is tuned elsewhere, probably to the BBC.

Agree. It makes you wonder why advertisers are wasting their money. If people arnt listening to the content, they certainly aren't listening to the adverts.
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All of those comments have been made by non-Global employees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Painfully tedious.

I KNOW IT IS .....but that's Heart For you 😁
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you SO sure ????
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh course Heart cares about its product. As if heart wants things to go wrong with its station output, of course not! Mistakes happens, just like on TV channels with programmes fail to screen, as if the channel doesn't care. Things go wrong.

But the point is Hit And enjoying our conversation today btw
    Things are going wrong Far too often
    I'm a subscriber to the lbc podcasts
    They cut out go up late etc on near enough a daily basis
    I've heard the blips on Heart which are bad but I can tell you Smooth Is even worse
    A good friend of mine who knows Global Towers extremely well reckons much of it could have been resolved had they actually fixed some of the historical tech probs they had at Capital before they shoehorned all the stations with great haste into the building
    Maybe a case of them running before they can walk ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the point is Hit And enjoying our conversation today btw
    Things are going wrong Far too often
    I'm a subscriber to the lbc podcasts
    They cut out go up late etc on near enough a daily basis
    I've heard the blips on Heart which are bad but I can tell you Smooth Is even worse
    A good friend of mine who knows Global Towers extremely well reckons much of it could have been resolved had they actually fixed some of the historical tech probs they had at Capital before they shoehorned all the stations with great haste into the building
    Maybe a case of them running before they can walk ??

A lot of those problems are down to lack of investment in employees. Too many products and not enough staff to handle everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the 2pm who's on heart caller was well and truly northern! And there's everyone assuming all callers are from London.

I never assumed everyone's from London in the same way as I never presumed I was the only Manchester listener to LBC known at the time as LONDONS biggest conversation
    By saying that presumably other than you we assumed it was all southerners is making us all sound like idiots and I for one certainly am not
    And you ARE northern as well aren't you ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of those problems are down to lack of investment in employees. Too many products and not enough staff to handle everything.

That's something we can agree on
    But therefore would you not also agree that they could have kept many of the people they slung down the road who I'm sure would already have the training and expertise to do these jobs ?
    Not only saving some jobs and redundancy money in some circumstances but also the cash they will undoubtably spend on recruiting and training new staff
    You've always said and I agree with you that Global are a business and there to make money ?
    Well that's a bucket full they needn't have spent if they thought it through
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's something we can agree on
    But therefore would you not also agree that they could have kept many of the people they slung down the road who I'm sure would already have the training and expertise to do these jobs ?
    Not only saving some jobs and redundancy money in some circumstances but also the cash they will undoubtably spend on recruiting and training new staff
    You've always said and I agree with you that Global are a business and there to make money ?
    Well that's a bucket full they needn't have spent if they thought it through

But why would a business keep all employees in a takeover if they are just not good enough for the new brand. As harsh as that sounds, the company, like all, only want the best people. It is often cheaper and easier to recruit new people and train them the "brands" way.
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    Agree. It makes you wonder why advertisers are wasting their money. If people arnt listening to the content, they certainly aren't listening to the adverts.

The advertisers are very good at getting their message across to people who are not really listening (catchy jingles, catchphrases, frequently repeating the advertisement etc). They have to be. Whether its on the radio, in a newspaper or magazine (but probably not so much the TV) the advertiser's art is to get its message across to people that are not lo there primarily to look at / hear the advert. I also take no notice of them but somehow they get through. There is an advert on this page while I am typing, I've not looked at it but someone had paid to put it there. (I probably have a different ad to you - mine's for 'Foxes Glorious' - no interest in what that is.)

Some years ago, and I don't know if its still the case, radio's share of advertising was low and the rates they could charge per listening were much lower than charged per reader / viewer by magazines, newspapers, TV etc. Maybe it was because the advertisers knew that it all went in one ear and out of the other.