Options

What do Vegans think of Pescatarians?

Comments

• Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most vegetarians I know still eat eggs and turn a blind eye to the industry practices. Think it's them who are the hypocrites.

Why does that make us hypocrites? A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat or fish. It doesn't mean that you have to be an animal lover.

It doesn't make me any less of a vegetarian because I eat eggs or wear a fur jacket or leather shoes.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    well, apples aren't sweet to benefit the apple directly; apple trees evolved nutritions, tasty(to some) fruits so that animals would eat them, and in doing so swallow the pips, which would later come out of rear end and grow into another apple tree.....

Fish don't have pips.

Probably because they have other means of reproducing. Fish are also nutritious and very tasty. We farm animals for food. I'm extremely picky about what I feed my family; know my butcher personally and he can drive me to the farm of all the produce he sells; which he butchers in his own abbatoir. I also love fish - but only wild, not farmed. And apples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Why does that make us hypocrites? A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat or fish. It doesn't mean that you have to be an animal lover.

It doesn't make me any less of a vegetarian because I eat eggs or wear a fur jacket or leather shoes.

It only makes you a hypocrite if you're a vegetarian for stated ethical reasons. Other than that, it's purely a matter of personal choice and taste.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    I think vegans are the only people who might be entitled to preach (albeit annoyingly) to others about their food habits when it comes to a reliance on animals.

I've been a vegan for a year. I've only preached once....I do stop myself.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only makes you a hypocrite if you're a vegetarian for stated ethical reasons. Other than that, it's purely a matter of personal choice and taste.

Doesn't even make you a hypocrite if it's for ethical reasons, unless you're telling other people what they should or shouldn't do. Given that perfection doesn't exist, it's all about where you choose to draw the line and balance your principles with convenience and tastes. In my case, I find not eating meat incredibly easy, but giving up cheese and eggs is a lot harder. So that's where I draw my own line. No hypocrisy involved. Eat what you want.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    But I do think of them. I think they're yummy. :)
    http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2pi7bnQQu1r7vmzco1_1280.png
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Why is any argument - good or otherwise - needed? It's a preference. Other people have different preferences.

I'm sure they do but I'm just putting it out there for discussion :)
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, apples aren't sweet to benefit the apple directly; apple trees evolved nutritions, tasty(to some) fruits so that animals would eat them, and in doing so swallow the pips, which would later come out of rear end and grow into another apple tree.....

Fish don't have pips.

but fish taste as nice as apples..so......the argument that apples evolved to be eaten by anmals dont hold much water, anmals eat fish too, and other animals

Why do bears eat fish as well as apples??

:D
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    but fish taste as nice as apples..so......the argument that apples evolved to be eaten by anmals dont hold much water, anmals eat fish too, and other animals

well, apples didn't evolve for any other purpose. I suppose humans and animals also evolved to like eating apples and other fruit, as they evolved to like eating fish.

Fish didn't evolve to taste nice, I don't think. Some animals have evolved to be poisonous to those that eat them.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    Why do bears eat fish as well as apples??

Ever tried stopping one?

inb4 HOW DOES POLAR BEAR KNOW WHAT APPLES IS???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've been a vegetarian all my life and I don't feel entitled to judge what other people do or do not eat and hope they don't about me either :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Doesn't even make you a hypocrite if it's for ethical reasons, unless you're telling other people what they should or shouldn't do. Given that perfection doesn't exist, it's all about where you choose to draw the line and balance your principles with convenience and tastes. In my case, I find not eating meat incredibly easy, but giving up cheese and eggs is a lot harder. So that's where I draw my own line. No hypocrisy involved. Eat what you want.

I said 'stated' ethical reasons; so what I meant was if someone is going around telling people it's unethical to eat meat and that someone then eats fish and wears leather shoes or fur, to my mind they are being a tad hypocritical.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I've been a vegan for a year. I've only preached once....I do stop myself.

Ha, you're clearly one of the good ones! I have family members who are vegans and annoying one of them really knows her stuff inside and out re nutrition. Any meat eater taking her on re protein or various vitamins etc will get their comeuppance- and I should know!
    I do actually admire her stance, and her knowledge and arguments are compelling but grow tired of the preaching.

I might have to tell her there are some non preachy vegans out there after all! :D
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I'm veggie don't care who eats what but wish pescatarians wouldn't refer to themselves as veggie as the restaurants think fish is an acceptable veggie option
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »

Because being a vegetarian still indirectly supports the rearing and killing of animals, sometimes in very dubious conditions. Without certain animals being reared, you can't have dairy products.
    Most vegetarians I know still eat eggs and turn a blind eye to the industry practices. Think it's them who are the hypocrites.

They are, IMO.

Be a vegan, if your morals are that way inclined, i.e. don't consume any animal products at all.
    AOTB wrote: »
    I think vegans are the only people who might be entitled to preach (albeit annoyingly) to others about their food habits when it comes to a reliance on animals.

Vegetarians are like some kind of half way house, neither here nor there and for me are in no position to sit on any kind of moral high ground when it comes to this.

Agree.
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian and don't understand why some people object to the killing of animals and birds, but not of fish. Deliberately putting an end to another creature's life so that I can eat it - no way could I do that. If it was a matter of survival, it might be different, but people can live healthy lives without killing for food. People generally eat meat for enjoyment, not for health reasons, as it's been proved time and again that vegetarians and vegans are in general healthier than meat-eaters. I couldn't kill anything for my own enjoyment, it goes against everything I believe in.

It's also been proven we are where we are today because we are omnivores, not herbivores, i.e. it's unlikely we'd be in our current position if we were vegans. Vegetarianism and veganism are simply lifestyle choices. As for vegetarians being healthier, that's debatable, since they still consume dairy products, some of which have a high saturated fat content for example.
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I suppose I am one of those, except I don't eat dairy products either - but the dairy is more because I am allergic to milk in any significant volume and don't like eggs - I still eat eggs if they are in a cake, or milk chocolate, but not milk, cheese, butter etc in that form.

About 10 years ago, I stopped eating red meat because I was skeptical about the hormones etc and all the other crap that gets put into the food chain - proven right several years later when it emerged we were eating horse. After about a year of not touching red meat, I just went off all other meat.

There is nothing wrong about eating horse meat. The problem was we weren't told we were doing so.
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Is there a good argument why they will not eat flesh but are okay with fish/seafood?

Fish/seafood is flesh, but a different type of flesh.
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm would have thought they would have been at least more understanding of it because fish are so much lower down the food chain.

Surely, that depends on what type of animal we are talking about. A great white shark is hardly much lower down the food chain, even to humans in some cases.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,510
    Forum Member
    I'm a vegetarian so not quite the target audience required by OP's question but I've no problem with Pescatarians. Y'know, the choice not to eat meat doesn't always stem from ethical concerns and a no-meat, plenty o' fish diet can be incredibly healthy (but then again, so can a meat based diet or a diet, like mine, that contains no meat or fish but plenty of other sources of nutrients).

I do, however, take exception to "ethical" vegetarians who still eat chicken, simply because they're labelling themselves as something they're not. Saying "well I am a vegetarian but I do eat chicken" is like saying "well I'm not racist but I just can't stand Chinese people".
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian and don't understand why some people object to the killing of animals and birds, but not of fish. Deliberately putting an end to another creature's life so that I can eat it - no way could I do that. If it was a matter of survival, it might be different, but people can live healthy lives without killing for food. People generally eat meat for enjoyment, not for health reasons, as it's been proved time and again that vegetarians and vegans are in general healthier than meat-eaters. I couldn't kill anything for my own enjoyment, it goes against everything I believe in.

That's exactly my outlook.

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years and my motto is I won't eat anything with a face.(With the possible exception of jelly babies!)

That aside.Each to their own and I would never try to convert anyone.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm vegetarian. I don't judge others on what they choose to eat or not eat. If a person wants to be pescatarian then that's entirely up to them.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a vegetarian so not quite the target audience required by OP's question but I've no problem with Pescatarians. Y'know, the choice not to eat meat doesn't always stem from ethical concerns and a no-meat, plenty o' fish diet can be incredibly healthy (but then again, so can a meat based diet or a diet, like mine, that contains no meat or fish but plenty of other sources of nutrients).

I do, however, take exception to "ethical" vegetarians who still eat chicken, simply because they're labelling themselves as something they're not. Saying "well I am a vegetarian but I do eat chicken" is like saying "well I'm not racist but I just can't stand Chinese people".

I guess I assumed people who were Vegetarians chose not to eat meat because of ethical reasons and their beliefs. So it's some Veggies and all Vegans that don't eat meat because of their beliefs then?

I don't know if they're stupid questions or whatever but genuinely don't know much about peoples reasons.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Because being a vegetarian still indirectly supports the rearing and killing of animals, sometimes in very dubious conditions. Without certain animals being reared, you can't have dairy products.

Yes, but my point is that not all vegetarians become vegetarian for ethical reasons. There might be health, lifestyle, religious or environmental reasons, or they might just not like the taste.

As another poster said earlier, if you became a vegetarian because you oppose animal cruelty, then it might be hypocritical to eat dairy products. But the definition of 'vegetarian' is simply someone who doesn't eat animal flesh. So you can still be a 100% strict vegetarian even if you hate all animals, wear fur/leather, support animal testing, eat battery-farmed eggs etc. It wouldn't necessarily make you a hypocrite.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I guess I assumed people who were Vegetarians chose not to eat meat because of ethical reasons and their beliefs. So it's some Veggies and all Vegans that don't eat meat because of their beliefs then?

I don't know if they're stupid questions or whatever but genuinely don't know much about peoples reasons.

I don't eat meat because I love animals, but I do eat dairy products. I eat cheese, and the only milk I like is cows milk. I don't like eggs so I don't eat them, but when I do buy them I always buy free range eggs. In an ideal world I'd be vegan but I'm a type 1 diabetic too and it would mean my diet would be extremely restricted if I stopped eating all animal products, on top of the things I shouldn't eat due to being diabetic. I cut what animal products I can from my diet, but if all of what I've just said makes me a hypocrite then so be it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why is it any of your business if people wish to eat fish, but not other animals?
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, apples didn't evolve for any other purpose. I suppose humans and animals also evolved to like eating apples and other fruit, as they evolved to like eating fish.

Fish didn't evolve to taste nice, I don't think. Some animals have evolved to be poisonous to those that eat them.

Still dont believe apples ave evolved to "taste nice".....how do you know every annals taste buds and fish are very tasty to many too

stoatie wrote: »
    Ever tried stopping one?

inb4 HOW DOES POLAR BEAR KNOW WHAT APPLES IS???

The ones in Canada do!! They eat nuts as well....
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I don't eat meat because I love animals, but I do eat dairy products. I eat cheese, and the only milk I like is cows milk. I don't like eggs so I don't eat them, but when I do buy them I always buy free range eggs. In an ideal world I'd be vegan but I'm a type 1 diabetic too and it would mean my diet would be extremely restricted if I stopped eating all animal products, on top of the things I shouldn't eat due to being diabetic. I cut what animal products I can from my diet, but if all of what I've just said makes me a hypocrite then so be it.

I wouldn't call you a hypocrite. You're doing more than just paying lip service, which is more than most of us can say.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I am a vegan, and it is up to them if they want to eat a fish, but do not ever call yourself a vegetarian, you are not. Neither are you a vegetarian if you eat chicken twice a year.