Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 28)

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    JO'B purposely mispronouncing Farage, when he is well aware of how it should be said, reminds me of the same pettiness that SA and Ferrari show - SA when he used to say Amy Lamé (but to rhyme with 'blame') and Ferrari when he does his 'Ms' nonsense.

It's all designed to belittle and undermine the person involved, and is very unprofessional.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    I wish that people in the media wouldn't keep saying "Romanians" when it's patently obvious that their objections are to Romas. Why the coyness?

The whole thing is utterly bizarre. Farage and Brian have both come out of all this very badly. Farage's comments are ridiculous and Brian comes across as a schoolboy bully who is deliberately being obtuse (as usual).
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    This is the first time I've listened for any length to John. Does he always sound as though he's wearing his second-best teeth?

Nick Abbot was saying yesterday that he is worried all of his teeth are just about to fall out. He blames it on his sugar intake and on one doughnut in particular.

I don't understand why the Nick Ferrari compilation should be edited as poorly as it is as that is the time slot which usually leads to better figures at breakfast times.

JOB got some facts wrong in his interview. The very obnoxious Tweet from a fringe UKIP oddball was not published "overnight" as he said but actually in February.

He also said at one point that Nigel Farage's children spoke English as a second language. I would be very surprised indeed if German was their first language.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Nick Abbot was saying yesterday that he is worried all of his teeth are just about to fall out. He blames it on his sugar intake and on one doughnut in particular.

I don't understand why the Nick Ferrari compilation should be edited as poorly as it is as that is the time slot which usually leads to better figures at breakfast times.

JOB got some facts wrong in his interview. The very obnoxious Tweet from a fringe UKIP oddball was not published "overnight" as he said but actually in February.

He also said at one point that Nigel Farage's children spoke English as a second language. I would be very surprised indeed if German was their first language.

Yes, I thought that was an odd thing to assume.

Anyway, JO'B should know that many Europeans speak English better than the natives!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I thought that was an odd thing to assume.

Anyway, JO'B should know that many Europeans speak English better than the natives!

That is true - and also people in the rest of the world.

I reckon that is mainly down to the BBC World Service.

But I wonder - could there ever be an LBC World Service?
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick was bloody good on LBC and certainly a lot better than the camp Christo.

So why did they sack him?
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOB getting some serious stick from callers to John Stapletons' programme this morning on his interview with NIgel Farrage. "Childish" being one comment that stuck with me.

Yes, I found that quite interesting, and John Stapleton wasn't sure how to take it - obviously had to defend O'Brien. I also heard Brian (from Harrow), who is an LBC regular, and Farage supporter, talking about how you can't hear English spoken in Harrow these days. Personally, I think he made up the story he told - I've lived in Harrow for over 30 years, and not had a problem with anyone. If the present situation means that there will be fewer people like Brian, I'm not unhappy with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JO'B purposely mispronouncing Farage, when he is well aware of how it should be said, reminds me of the same pettiness that SA and Ferrari show - SA when he used to say Amy Lamé (but to rhyme with 'blame') and Ferrari when he does his 'Ms' nonsense.

It's all designed to belittle and undermine the person involved, and is very unprofessional.

I agree. The way that Nigel's name should be pronounced is the way that Nigel pronounces it, end of story. It would be interesting if Nick Ferrari's callers started to refer to him as "Mr Fairy". And it used to drive me nuts when people referred to the late Princess of Wales as "Diane", instead of Diana. Names aren't just a suggestion, they're a fact!
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What have Farage's bilingual children got to do with anything :confused:

We're all coming at this, quite demonstrably, from different angles, but I will try to run through the train of argumentation that led to this being perfectly pertinent.

In order to support his consternation at having heard non-English languages being spoken around him on a train carriage in England, Nigel Farage made the claim that a certain proportion of schools in England contain children who cannot speak English at all. His purpose was to demonstrate clearly to the listeners that he is right to fear the disappearance of the English language because the proof shows that some of our tax contributions are paying for children to be educated and not speak English, the language of the country they're benefiting from. He doesn't think that's right and he's hoping for votes from other people who have similar concerns.

The trouble was that his proof was not accurate. The actual truth, as JOB had to butt in to point out, is that the study Farage cited did not say that at all. It is a very serious matter to be using evidence to back up fears of the English language disappearing if that evidence is misrepresented, especially when the number 1 criticism of UKIP, rightly or wrongly, is that it misrepresents the facts to whip up anti-foreign sentiment. This seems to be exactly what Nigel Farage did, so it was crucial for this to be pointed out immediately.

In fact, there is arguably nothing more pertinent to the interview than this moment when evidence voiced by a UKIP representative that supports fear of foreign influence on British society is shown to be false.

The relevance of his own children being bilingual is simply that this then puts them in precisely the same category of language speakers and English language proficiency as the very children he tried to use to support this fear. The children he cited as not speaking English in fact simply did not speak English as their first language. They were, and presumably still are, quite happy speaking English as a second language, in a bilingual manner.

So not only was Farage's point inaccurate, it was trying to paint something good (bilingual proficiency in children in the UK) as something to be feared and rejected, yet his very own family and children are based on this very bilingual proficiency, the subtext being if it's good enough for the love of his life and family and hopes and dreams, why is it not good enough for the country as a whole? And why try to base his political arguments of fear on this very area?

Most bizarre, and JOB was absolutely on point to pick up on it and remind him of it when he tried to wriggle away.

This is what his bilingual children had to do with it. Everything. Hope that wasn't too long to follow, but I think it's an important process to go through.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing is utterly bizarre. Farage and Brian have both come out of all this very badly. Farage's comments are ridiculous and Brian comes across as a schoolboy bully who is deliberately being obtuse (as usual).

Someone on the thread about the Radio Devon DJ claims that OFCOM only need one listener complaint to start an investigation. If that is true Monday could be interesting. If Farage wishes to make an official complaint he will possibly wait until after the poll.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    So why did they sack him?

So few talk radio programme slots on British radio
    So many good hosts out there who could fill those slots but who are not working.

I am of the view that, despite the RAJAR figures, the LBC management is a very poor management.
    They failed to see the potential of the award-winning Nick Margerrison
    They failed to provide him with an environment in which he could flourish.

But I could easily name lots of other presenters who could be (and should be) on the LBC schedule now who would do a much better job than many of the current shower.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOB getting some serious stick from callers to John Stapletons' programme this morning on his interview with NIgel Farrage. "Childish" being one comment that stuck with me.

This happens each time that James O'Brien gets a big interview. He resorts to his favourite method which is bullying and and ends up losing the plot and then the argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HappyTree wrote: »
    We're all coming at this, quite demonstrably, from different angles, but I will try to run through the train of argumentation that led to this being perfectly pertinent.

In order to support his consternation at having heard non-English languages being spoken around him on a train carriage in England, Nigel Farage made the claim that a certain proportion of schools in England contain children who cannot speak English at all. His purpose was to demonstrate clearly to the listeners that he is right to fear the disappearance of the English language because the proof shows that some of our tax contributions are paying for children to be educated and not speak English, the language of the country they're benefiting from. He doesn't think that's right and he's hoping for votes from other people who have similar concerns.

The trouble was that his proof was not accurate. The actual truth, as JOB had to butt in to point out, is that the study Farage cited did not say that at all. It is a very serious matter to be using evidence to back up fears of the English language disappearing if that evidence is misrepresented, especially when the number 1 criticism of UKIP, rightly or wrongly, is that it misrepresents the facts to whip up anti-foreign sentiment. This seems to be exactly what Nigel Farage did, so it was crucial for this to be pointed out immediately.

In fact, there is arguably nothing more pertinent to the interview than this moment when evidence voiced by a UKIP representative that supports fear of foreign influence on British society is shown to be false.

The relevance of his own children being bilingual is simply that this then puts them in precisely the same category of language speakers and English language proficiency as the very children he tried to use to support this fear. The children he cited as not speaking English in fact simply did not speak English as their first language. They were, and presumably still are, quite happy speaking English as a second language, in a bilingual manner.

So not only was Farage's point inaccurate, it was trying to paint something good (bilingual proficiency in children in the UK) as something to be feared and rejected, yet his very own family and children are based on this very bilingual proficiency, the subtext being if it's good enough for the love of his life and family and hopes and dreams, why is it not good enough for the country as a whole? And why try to base his political arguments of fear on this very area?

Most bizarre, and JOB was absolutely on point to pick up on it and remind him of it when he tried to wriggle away.

This is what his bilingual children had to do with it. Everything. Hope that wasn't too long to follow, but I think it's an important process to go through.

You are in Eastern Europe. So am I very often when at home in Surrey because I have bought a lot of Eastern European music in my time including Taraf de Haidouks, Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, Mahala Rai Banda and even Rachmaninoff. Some of it is Romanian or Gypsy or both. This lets me enjoy foreign culture without getting on a plane, something I haven't done for a decade because I can't afford it and want to protect the environment.

I have worked in Central London and know that trains in and out of it are full of tourists speaking in many foreign languages. Unusually, I actually prefer tourist areas in Britain. I feel more comfortable in them because I am not a tourist and it makes me feel more at home. It did when I lived In York. I have also worked in cosmopolitan places like Geneva. Plus I have done a day of voluntary work in a Pimlico school where the children had over 20 different languages as their first language and were taught in English. That seemed to work and it was nice that lots of different people could get on well even if it was a bit of a challenge to the teachers as well as to the children.

But I was shocked on Easter Monday when I went for a walk with people in the busy Banstead bluebell woods and the only other voices we heard were speaking in Eastern European languages. Everyone was pleasant but I felt panicky and disorientated because it was like being a foreigner in my own country. It felt like a lot of strangers had been invited to live in my home. I would have felt exactly the same way if everyone there had a Welsh accent. It isn't prejudice. It is a feeling of being somewhere unreal like on a different planet. Dislocation - and it has left a lasting impression. So I don't think it is fair to say if x is true in one context it is true in every other. Contexts matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I was shocked on Easter Monday when I went for a walk with people in the busy Banstead bluebell woods and the only other voices we heard were speaking in Eastern European languages. Everyone was pleasant but I felt panicky and disorientated because it was like being a foreigner in my own country. It felt like a lot of strangers had been invited to live in my home. I would have felt exactly the same way if everyone there had a Welsh accent. It isn't prejudice. It is a feeling of being somewhere unreal like on a different planet. Dislocation - and it has left a lasting impression. So I don't think it is fair to say if x is true in one context it is true in every other. Contexts matter.

Personally, I don't care what accent (or even what language) other people are speaking in if they're not speaking to me, because I don't need to understand them. It's annoying if you're on the phone to a company, or in a shop, and you can't understand what's being said because of a strong accent, but that would apply (according to the BBC, who generally supply subtitles) to a Glasgow or Geordie accent too.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't care what accent (or even what language) other people are speaking in if they're not speaking to me, because I don't need to understand them. It's annoying if you're on the phone to a company, or in a shop, and you can't understand what's being said because of a strong accent, but that would apply (according to the BBC, who generally supply subtitles) to a Glasgow or Geordie accent too.

Can't say it ever bothers me what language people are talking in. Or if they are wearing a burqa or a three piece suit or a track suit. I couldn't care less where people are from either. It is no concern of mine. It's very amusing when the Liberal Elite tell the rest of us about immigration when they invariably have little actual first hand experience and actively choose to live where there are the least immigrants. In places like Chiswick.
  • Options
    Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This silly Google forget thing is another example like school uniform to stop pupils being bullied for the wrong trainers - treating a symptom rather than the disease. If people were better educated to think about the significance of what they find on the internet, they would surely be able to think for themselves "ok he made a mistakle lets give him another chance" or "omfg this was YEARS ago" or "hehe he was just showing off for this TV reality show". I hate to think how many extra staff Google will need in order to appraise the requests - or, more like, they will simply delete on demand rather than have the hassle and a very valuable reference resource will be ruined.
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBC podcasts have ballsed up the 'Andrew Pierce' and 'Ken and David' podcasts.
    thank you very much LBC.

edit: emails sent.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

Tread carefully LT. The last person who made this exact same point in relation to the area his parents live in was called a racist by one of our fellow members.

But he was right of course and so are you. What JOB demonstrated so effectively is his total lack of empathy for the dismay people feel in such situations. It is not about racism, although JOB wants us to believe it is, it's about what people are used to, and the speed at which it is changing. In a couple of decades it won't be a problem because no one will remember it any other way, But until that happens people who are getting used to the concept of a truly multicultural society deserve a bit of respect, not being called names by bullies.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,233
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    So few talk radio programme slots on British radio
    So many good hosts out there who could fill those slots but who are not working.

I am of the view that, despite the RAJAR figures, the LBC management is a very poor management.
    They failed to see the potential of the award-winning Nick Margerrison
    They failed to provide him with an environment in which he could flourish.

But I could easily name lots of other presenters who could be (and should be) on the LBC schedule now who would do a much better job than many of the current shower.

We are still scratching our heads as to why LBC showed James Whale the exit door, a man with gravitas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Tread carefully LT. The last person who made this exact same point in relation to the area his parents live in was called a racist by one of our fellow members.

But he was right of course and so are you. What JOB demonstrated so effectively is his total lack of empathy for the dismay people feel in such situations. It is not about racism, although JOB wants us to believe it is, it's about what people are used to, and the speed at which it is changing. In a couple of decades it won't be a problem because no one will remember it any other way, But until that happens people who are getting used to the concept of a truly multicultural society deserve a bit of respect, not being called names by bullies.

Yes thanks. I was living next door to bad neighbours. One after another and they were all young, British and white. I now have people of Kenyan Indian origins and they are a delight. They admitted to being uncomfortable in this area at first and it is possible that was because they came from a part of London that was less white than here currently.

I therefore made a special point of introducing them to other neighbours and they like being here now. They have had tea with several. I even saw the old lady yesterday on a road - they are multi-generational - and I called out to her as her mind seemed elsewhere. I had it in my head that they have family in Kenya and there have been some problems there which have been in the news. We didn't speak about it but I wondered if she was worrying about them and thought I would just be friendly and reassuring. Would the O'Briens ever think or behave in that way?

For I can't help wondering if I was living somewhere in Britain in a British minority whether anyone there of any background including people who have been here since time began - or even people in radio journalism - would think in that sensitive way towards me. I reckon I would just be ignored or seen as having some sort of problem to be criticised if I said it would make me a bit more comfortable if people made a special point of being friendly.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »

The trouble was that his proof was not accurate. The actual truth, as JOB had to butt in to point out, is that the study Farage cited did not say that at all. It is a very serious

matter to be using evidence to back up fears of the English language disappearing if that evidence is misrepresented, especially when the number 1 criticism of UKIP, rightly or wrongly, is that it misrepresents the facts to whip up anti-foreign sentiment. This
    seems to be exactly what Nigel Farage did, so it was crucial for this to be pointed out immediately.

In fact, there is arguably nothing more pertinent to the interview than this moment
    when evidence voiced by a UKIP representative that supports fear of foreign influence
    on British society is shown to be false.

The relevance of his own children being bilingual is simply that this then puts them in precisely the same category of language speakers and English language proficiency as the very children he tried to use to support this fear. The children he cited as not speaking English in fact simply did not speak English as their first language. They were,
    and presumably still are, quite happy speaking English as a second language, in a
    bilingual manner.

So not only was Farage's point inaccurate, it was trying to paint something good
    (bilingual proficiency in children in the UK) as something to be feared and rejected, yet his very own family and children are based on this very bilingual proficiency, the
    subtext being if it's good enough for the love of his life and family and hopes and dreams, why is it not good enough for the country as a whole? And why try to base his political arguments of fear on this very area?

Most bizarre, and JOB was absolutely on point to pick up on it and remind him of it when he tried to wriggle away

This is what his bilingual children had to do with it. Everything. Hope that wasn't too
    long to follow, but I think it's an important process to go through.

Thank you for your personal thoughts..... but my comment was posted as a rhetorical question :)
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a warm Saturday afternoon, and I am fed up about who talks to who, whether they are 'of colour', whether English is their native language etc.

On to a far more important topic - Shortswatch They may come out tomorrow :p;-):kitty:
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a warm Saturday afternoon, and I am fed up about who talks to who, whether they are 'of colour', whether English is their native language etc.

On to a far more important topic - Shortswatch They may come out tomorrow :p;-):kitty:

:o:o:o *Runs screaming to the hills*
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    We are still scratching our heads as to why LBC showed James Whale the exit door, a man with gravitas.

Maybe 15 years ago when he did a late night show which could be entertaining, but drive time was dull.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why wait until tomorrow ??? Your female fans are already fantasising :D:blush:

Apropos to LBC - I am listening to the commentary of The Match.
This discussion has been closed.