Options

Jonah from Tonga

Comments

• Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another dire offering from this utter bell end, BBC mention tbey need to cut back, but then show this.

If it isnt this imbossile playing a girl, he is now playing a teenage boy.

What next him playing a adult baby in a jumbo sized cot, sucking a dummy

He has played loads of people, boys/girls/grandmothers/fathers/mothers/people of various ethnicity. He's very diverse.

That is the point of playing different characters in comedy, that he can do those things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to admire the Beeb's breath taking hypocrisy in giving Clarkson a warning letter for something he might have said and then putting this on iplayer a couple of days later !!! Someone there has obviously got a wicked sense of humour. :D:D:D
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I've seen most of Lilley's stuff but not Summer Heights High so never seen Jonah before. I really enjoyed this, there were a lot of laugh out loud moments, and I have to admit he does remind me of some kids from my school days!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinistra wrote: »
    You have to admire the Beeb's breath taking hypocrisy in giving Clarkson a warning letter for something he might have said and then putting this on iplayer a couple of days later !!! Someone there has obviously got a wicked sense of humour. :D:D:D

Added to the grief the beeb have had off Rangas in the past over Doctor Who's perceived anti-ginger prejudice :D
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised it is getting any positive reaction in the UK. It is a gigantic flop here in Australia, with virtually no one saying anything kind about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it is getting any positive reaction in the UK. It is a gigantic flop here in Australia, with virtually no one saying anything kind about it.

If you say so.

Funny thing about opinions: everyone's vary. I happen to consider Ricky Gervais in Derek to be the most excruciatingly uncomfortable and ill-advised performance he's ever turned in. He can write but he really shouldn't be turning in that 'grinning fool that says silly things' performance and thinking he's breaking boundaries. I think it's appallingly bad stuff. But the world loves it, apparently.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    If you say so.

Funny thing about opinions: everyone's vary. I happen to consider Ricky Gervais in Derek to be the most excruciatingly uncomfortable and ill-advised performance he's ever turned in. He can write but he really shouldn't be turning in that 'grinning fool that says silly things' performance and thinking he's breaking boundaries. I think it's appallingly bad stuff. But the world loves it, apparently.

I like Derek, but I can't seem to grasp this Chris Lilley guy,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but Jaines Private School, just seemed to me, to be a case for him to, act out fantasys he had, by playing a school girl, and possibly getting a major hardon at tge same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but Jaines Private School, just seemed to me, to be a case for him to, act out fantasys he had, by playing a school girl, and possibly getting a major hardon at tge same time.

Well that just shows how limited your mind is. I can't even begin to take this opinion apart, it's just so monumentally ill-judged from start to finish. By the way the title is "Ja'mie: A Private School Girl", and you can remove almost all the commas from that post...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 38 so probably way out of the age range.

but for a guy who is nearing 40 I think, if he sees himself as a actor, he should be exploring his options.

Rather than all his dreamy characters like
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time I've laughed out loud at a programme in a while: all during the teacher's rant at Jonah and the red-headed kid. Just... Wow. The actor playing the teacher really makes this show - he's like an Australian Malcolm Tucker!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The way the teacher talks about them makes me laugh :D
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is clearly one of the most adaptaple actors with great observation skills, you really forget he is a much older actor after a while. I think its better than Ja'mie: A Private School Girl, certainly more funnier, the teacher is great.

Just wish he wasn't a bully, wish they hadn't of done that, it puts me off him.

Still I'll watch on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with other positive comments about this series. It's far better than Ja'mie: Private School Girl so far. Much more depth, better supporting characters, better storyline. Just superior in every way really. It hasn't quite reached the heights of Summer Heights High and Angry Boys yet, but it's certainly impressed me thus far.

Mr. Joseph, the teacher in Lazarus House, is simply superb. I love how he gives as good as he gets with Jonah and his mates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Loving this series! We watched it all when they put it on iPlayer for 48 hours and there are some real laugh out loud moments. I'm sure quite a lot of people will remember a 'Jonah' from their school days!!

IMO Chris Lilley is a talented writer and performer of observational, character driven comedy - people who don't 'get' Jonah and Ja'mie are probably rangas. "Sorry, no offense but it's true," to quote Ja'mie ;)
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving Jonah. For some reason I prefer the character of Ja'mie but Jonah has more laugh out loud moments. Agree that the teacher character and his foul mouth rants at the boys is the star of the show.

It was good to see some of Jonah's tender side with his little brother and understand what it must be like for such a disadvantaged kid with dreams of going to Uni and being wealthy when he grows up. It's unlikely ever to happen but Jonah can't find a way out of it.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    If you say so.

I say so as well, how can such a poor show get so many positive comments.
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So he gets turned on by dressing like a teenage girl and being a bitch to everyone and pretending to be in love with males?

But he doesn't get turned on by playing a black rapper, or a Grandmother, or a teenage boy or does that count too?

You took one of his characters and disregarded all the others.

Everyone who has worked with him especially young actors have given him nothing but praise and he is loved by a lot of people, you have no right to accuse him of nasty stuff like that without any evidence.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't really watch this, Not used to that much swearing. They are taking that too far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he gets turned on by dressing like a teenage girl and being a bitch to everyone and pretending to be in love with males?

But he doesn't get turned on by playing a black rapper, or a Grandmother, or a teenage boy or does that count too?

You took one of his characters and disregarded all the others.

Everyone who has worked with him especially young actors have given him nothing but praise and he is loved by a lot of people, you have no right to accuse him of nasty stuff like that without any evidence.

I had never heard of this guy before Private School, so I had no idea about his previous characters just on what I'd seen.

Coming of Age was more funny
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO! The second episode was even better, I was laughing so much last night! There were a lot of hilarious scenes!:D I'm really enjoying this series so far. As said before, it's already much better than Ja'mie in so many ways! The teacher, Mr Joseph is just brilliant! Absolutely hilarious! He really adds a lot to the show and reminds me of a teacher that I used to have in my secondary school days!:D

I also loved that sweet bromance moment between Jonah and his brother briefly talking about the economy, girl hostesses and then bursting into the "Pretty Young Girl" song, which was just genius! And of course, the ending had me in stitches!:D

Next week looks even better! I love that there's more depth in this series. If this keeps up then it might just live to the heights of Summer Heights High!:)
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't really watch this, Not used to that much swearing. They are taking that too far.

If you've ever spent time around groups of teenagers, no, they're not! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given this two eps now and, contrary to the rather confrontational position I've taken on others who slag off the show because they don't like it, I've now got to admit I'm taking a similar opinion.

Two eps in, this show isn't funny. It's nowhere near as amusing as Ja'Mie, or any of the Summer Heights High scenes Jonah appeared in.

The reason is not that Lilley sucks, it's because this character is genuinely *tragic*. It's simply not funny to see him repeatedly bullying and abusing others because as we've seen now, it's because he's got serious education issues. It's really quite sad - 'not-happy' sad, not 'what a loser'-sad - and I don't get many laughs from it.

I do enjoy watching it. I want to see what happens, and given how Ja'Mie panned out as a series I hope there is a journey for Jonah, that there's a chance he might actually learn something and make something, somehow, for himself. But given how badly the character behaves *constantly*, it doesn't seem like there could be any sort of happy ending for him. And seeing him get his comeuppance isn't much fun either - Ja'Mie deserved it because she was privileged and considered herself untouchable, but Jonah needs help.

I do like the gobby teacher that looks after him, he's easily the best character. But still, the whole situation is nowhere near as easy to laugh about as Ja'mie's was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, no they're not. Really, this is tame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving Jonah. For some reason I prefer the character of Ja'mie but Jonah has more laugh out loud moments. Agree that the teacher character and his foul mouth rants at the boys is the star of the show.

It was good to see some of Jonah's tender side with his little brother and understand what it must be like for such a disadvantaged kid with dreams of going to Uni and being wealthy when he grows up. It's unlikely ever to happen but Jonah can't find a way out of it.

Interestingly I take a very different view - Ja'Mie was easy to laugh at but Jonah's hijinks not so much, because he's quite a tragic character. Ja'Mie was just a bitch.