Options

Sainsbury's shows shoppers how to 'get the slave look' with 12 Years A Slave display

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Sainsbury's shows shoppers how to 'get the slave look' with 12 Years A Slave display mannequin

This year's Oscar winning films undoubtedly made an impact on high street fashion, from the bejewelled 70s dresses of American Hustle to the 90s power suits of The Wolf of Wall Street, but few could have predicted Sainsbury's pushing the ragged clothes of 12 Years A Slave.

For reasons unknown, an Oxford branch of the supermarket embellished its DVD and Blu-ray stand for Steve McQueen's film about the horrors of slavery with a mannequin wearing a similar outfit to that of protagonist Solomon Northup.

Looking defiantly summer-ready, the mannequin wears a loose-fitting, holey beige shirt and black trousers, completing the look with a twig in the front pocket.

Backed by spindly branches and standing next to a plaque that shouts 'NEW', it wears a tag around its neck bearing the price of the recently-released DVD, suggesting the clothes themselves aren't for sale, though the juxtaposition is a strange one nonetheless.

The display stand was snapped by a shopper and swiftly uploaded on Twitter.

A spokesperson for Sainsbury's said: “We can only apologise. It’s been taken down from the Heyford Hill store and clearly should never have gone up in the first place."

Source:- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/sainsburys-offers-shoppers-chance-to-get-the-slave-look-with-12-years-a-slave-display-mannequin-9395708.html

Do you think this was an over-reaction or do you think it was offensive?. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd even notice it if it was in my local Sainsburys and I walked in. Its not as if there's a whole rack of the cardigan/top and trousers there, with them on sale or anything.

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this perpetually offended crap is getting beyond a ****ing joke now. It's little wonder that this country is quickly becoming a laughing stock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The twig looks more like a feather to me too. Maybe I need my eyes checked lol.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t know about offensive but it is bloody odd.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it involve a sainsbury's uniform......
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO WHAT???
    it was advertising for the movie!!!

should have blacked it up as well .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    SO WHAT???

Yeah that would be a bit much. The caption to the photo reads 'Summer look comes complete with pocketed twig' I feel a pun coming on, such as they obviously hadn't 'twigged' that someone would complain about the mannequin.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    All this perpetually offended crap is getting beyond a ****ing joke now. It's little wonder that this country is quickly becoming a laughing stock.

This, I seem to hear nothing else these days. Strangely I never seem to meet any of these uptight miserable sods during my travels out and about, a pity, since I would enjoy saying something to them that they would be able to take offense to.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, made me smile :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    You can already see how UKIP are unravelling the fabric of society when stunts like this are pulled.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Eye catching and different, it would certainly make me take notice. What's offensive about it? Nothing, if anyone did complain then they're a fool or a rabble-rouser.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww I can just see some poor wee fresh out of uni visual merchandiser being all excited about their brilliant display only for this to happen :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Awesome. Eye catching and different, it would certainly make me take notice. What's offensive about it? Nothing, if anyone did complain then they're a fool or a rabble-rouser.

The spokesperson for Sainsbury seems to disagree, admitting it should 'never have gone up' apparently
    A spokesperson for Sainsbury's said: “We can only apologise. It’s been taken down from the Heyford Hill store and clearly should never have gone up in the first place."
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but that's their job. Not many companies would have the balls to stand up for something like this, better to snivel and be all pretend sorry, lest one person in the country be irrationally offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Yeah but that's their job. Not many companies would have the balls to stand up for something like this, better to snivel and be all pretend sorry, lest one person in the country be irrationally offended.

True. I wonder how many people would boycott Sainsburys over something like this? they must worry it could happen, or they wouldn't be so cautious in their response presumably.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    The spokesperson for Sainsbury seems to disagree, admitting it should 'never have gone up' apparently

Or as it's known in the real World, covering one's own arse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Kind of odd but if they want to be a bit different in their approach fine. I've seen plenty of get the look displays of oscar winning films before so I understand why they done it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or as it's known in the real World, covering one's own arse.

Rather that than someone elses :D *ahem*
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do slaves carry a twig in their pocket?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THAT WAS IT?????
    all that is is woman's summer clothing put on BADLY!!!!!
    THE **** IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THAT WAS IT?????
    all that is is woman's summer clothing put on BADLY!!!!!
    THE **** IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?????

There are rips in the top though...and a twig!.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I'm shocked and outraged! How could Sainsbury's do such a thing? :o

Someone could have had their eye out on that twig! :D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's funny and I guarantee that most people would feel the same.
    A new developement is the "I'm outraged that you're outraged" person, often seen writing in all caps...
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Why do slaves carry a twig in their pocket?
    they're just pleased to see you, Mistress
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Awww I can just see some poor wee fresh out of uni visual merchandiser being all excited about their brilliant display only for this to happen :(

Those were my thoughts exactly. What a very odd display ............can't really see why some are offended - confused yes - but not offended.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    True
    SO WHAT???

Surprised they don't have black ones these days