Options

Coca cola price rise

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now £1 or more for the 1.75l rather than the two. Noticed in Poundland it's it's just 'two cans' for £1. How come it's the most expensive soft drink and do they charge as much in shops in Europe and the US? I know cash and carrys sell juice quite cheap so it must cost about less than a half a penny to make. Maybe 1p for the plastic bottle maybe somebody would have an accurate figure?

Supermarkets do soft drinks cheaper so I reckon these big companies are conning us with the high prices.

Also what's the most you have ever paid for a can? I'm sure some snack bars charge £3 a can at big events.

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,000
    Forum Member
    Because Coca-Cola is a business whose goal is to make the most amount of money for their investors and as such, there is a high mark up on their products. If people are going to pay it, and I do personally, then they are going to do it.

Most I've paid for a can is 70p, least is 45p for a 330ml
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    My local village shop has 2 litre bottles on offer at £1, and the 1.5 litre bottles on offer at 2 for £1.75.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen various threads about this recently. They introduced 1.75's to replace 2L bottles about 3 months ago.

What you've described is basically the visible effect of inflation.

They charge about £1.50 for a can of Coke at the car boot sales (and I'm sure more at festivals/events) but anybody with half a brain brings their own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    My village shop charges £1.85 for a 1.75L bottle and there is an offer on the label for 2 for £2.50.

Are they really going to get rid of the 2L bottles?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now £1 or more for the 1.75l rather than the two. Noticed in Poundland it's it's just 'two cans' for £1. How come it's the most expensive soft drink and do they charge as much in shops in Europe and the US? I know cash and carrys sell juice quite cheap so it must cost about less than a half a penny to make. Maybe 1p for the plastic bottle maybe somebody would have an accurate figure?

Supermarkets do soft drinks cheaper so I reckon these big companies are conning us with the high prices.

Also what's the most you have ever paid for a can? I'm sure some snack bars charge £3 a can at big events.

£1 for two cans in 2014 (so 50p each) , I recall paying the equivalent of 50p for one can at a station in Paris back in 1990. Tesco's is now 42p a can or 12 for £4.25

The thing is we all want everything cheap but then complain about peoples wages
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Because Coca-Cola is a business whose goal is to make the most amount of money for their investors and as such, there is a high mark up on their products. If people are going to pay it, and I do personally, then they are going to do it.

There are a number of other factors which contribute to the price difference between branded and own-label products.

1. The cost associated with the fact that major brands advertise heavily in order to retain or grow their market share.

2. The supermarkets play manufacturers off against each other in order to secure the best deal for the production of their own-label products, and manufacturers will often take a much reduced profit in order to secure the extra volume as it reduces their overall unit cost. (It's better to have the production lines running at full capacity!)

3. Supermarkets will take a reduced profit where there is a very strong brand presence (such as cola) as there needs to be a clear incentive for people to switch from the likes of Coke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    My village shop charges £1.85 for a 1.75L bottle and there is an offer on the label for 2 for £2.50.

Are they really going to get rid of the 2L bottles?

They stopped making 2L bottles months ago AFAIK.

Any that are for sale currently are stock to clear.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pepsi is usually cheaper for some reason :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Pepsi is usually cheaper for some reason :confused:

It's because Pepsi isn't Coca-Cola.

They spend less on marketing, and as a result people wont be willing to pay as much for it.

As somebody has pointed out, the major difference between any soft drink really is the amount of money spent on peripheral activities like that.

That's why Red Bull commands a price of £1.35 a can, yet an identical product, with identical ingredients and taste - genuinely no different mix - is less than 35p a can in Euroshopper branding.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local village shop has 2 litre bottles on offer at £1, and the 1.5 litre bottles on offer at 2 for £1.75.

not for much longer it won't...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's because Pepsi isn't Coca-Cola.

They spend less on marketing, and as a result people wont be willing to pay as much for it.

As somebody has pointed out, the major difference between any soft drink really is the amount of money spent on peripheral activities like that.

That's why Red Bull commands a price of £1.35 a can, yet an identical product, with identical ingredients and taste - genuinely no different mix - is less than 35p a can in Euroshopper branding.
    Yes I had an energy drink a few months ago that tasted no different to Red Bull but it cost only pennies. It wasn't even on offer, the price on the can's paintwork. Perhaps it was the same drink you're talking about?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The whole soft drinks market is a rip off really, when basically all you are being sold is water with a few added ingredients. Pure bottled water is the pinnacle of that achievement.

It's money for old rope essentially.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently on BOGOF in Sainsburys with the 8 can packs - £4.39 for 16 cans so about 27p per can which is the cheapest out there at the moment.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you ever do any research before faceplanting the keyboard and posting whatever ill-informed rant appears?

Two litres of Coke at Sainsburys used to cost £2.10, the new 1.75l bottle costs £1.85. What's your point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    Yes I had an energy drink a few months ago that tasted no different to Red Bull but it cost only pennies. It wasn't even on offer, the price on the can's paintwork. Perhaps it was the same drink you're talking about?

Quite possibly.

This is what I had in mind. It's identical to Red Bull in every way as far as I can see from the ingredients list, caffeine amount, nutritional values (about 1cal difference) etc.

It's rather ludicrous people pay what they do for Red Bull given that.

However, on the Coke situation I'm happy with either Pepsi or Coca-Cola, but I can certainly tell an inferior brand. I'm not even that fond of RC, let alone supermarket colas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite possibly.

This is what I had in mind. It's identical to Red Bull in every way as far as I can see from the ingredients list, caffeine amount, nutritional values (about 1cal difference) etc.

However, on the Coke situation I'm happy with either Pepsi or Coca-Cola, but I can certainly tell an inferior brand. I'm not even that fond of RC, let alone supermarket colas.

I'd agree with this, in regards to soft drinks cola is all I drink, Pepsi and Coca Cola are similar, the rest of the cola brand don't come close.

I can remember my vending machine at school selling Coke for 35p per can and that wasn't a million years ago, you could also get 2 if you managed to hit 2 buttons at exactly the same time :D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped buying Coca Cola a while back just purely because of the price. I can get other juices cheaper e.g Irn Bru at 1 quid for a 2 litre bottle. I have to watch the pennies, so unless there was a really good offer, then I wouldn't bother buying it again.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed in the poundstrecher, in which I work. Cans of coke, up to 45p. It my not seem like a lot, but.....

I've just switch to a cheaper canned drink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite possibly.

That's the one I had. It does taste exactly like Red Bull.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    In the Eighties, a can of Coca Cola was twenty pence.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my youth when I used to have to settle for Rola Cola from the local chippy. It gave me burps so loud, small animals used to run away. Obviously, at that age, it was also the most hysterical thing in the world as well :)
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be able to get some good multipack deals with the world cup coming soon.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three 3litre bottles for £5 at Iceland, giving them a go at the moment. Nice chicken stir fry and free delivery as well.

Pepsi a quid a bottle at Tesco last time I checked, usually one or the other is on a multi-buy - even though I'm a bit of an addict I wouldn't pay £1.90+ for a bottle, own brand would have to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cans were 50p and 500ml bottles were 75p when I was a kid. Coca cola is "the brand" of course it will be more expensive.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed in the poundstrecher, in which I work. Cans of coke, up to 45p. It my not seem like a lot, but.....

I've just switch to a cheaper canned drink.

If we all did that would soon drop there prices. I imagine sales must be down a bit.

Don't Coca Cola also make the likes of Dr Pepper drinks have they also gone up?