Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't one of their sanctions a wage freeze? Good luck juggling that lot and giving Toure a wage increase.

Anyway, I'm more concerned with Miley Cyrus being a Red ffffs.

Your post comes in a bit from left field but I presume you're reacting to the breaking news of back page of the sun? For those that don't know, Toure's agent on the back page of the Sun is pretty outspoken about Toure leaving city...

....as for Miley Virus I thought that photo was the second coming of Alan Smith for a second there!
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your post comes in a bit from left field but I presume you're reacting to the breaking news of back page of the sun? For those that don't know, Toure's agent on the back page of the Sun is pretty outspoken about Toure leaving city...

....as for Miley Virus I thought that photo was the second coming of Alan Smith for a second there!

I was reacting to Batdude's comment ;-)
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,503
    Forum Member
    Apparently Yaya Toure has asked to leave City, we should be in there, if true!

But it is most likely a tactic by his agent to get more money I think.

He only signed a new contract last year.

It's become one of these bizarre yearly occurrences where his agent comes out with nonsense.

This year it's because we didn't wish him happy birthday, couldn't make it up..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Yaya, first no one notices how good he is, and now no one wishes him a happy birthday!! :(
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a very, very good player, but he doesn't half come across as someone who has some serious ego problems!
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your last line: Good. Now we'll see a reaction from Rooney.

I must admit to being a little puzzled by this attitude.

I've seen several comments in various places along the lines of 'If Rooney doesn't like it, he can f*** off', or 'I hope than Van Gaal gives him a major boot up the arse'.

Rooney was one of our best players, last season. He was one of a few that actually looked like they were trying.

By contrast, Van Persie seemed to retreat within himself, and had a pretty sulky demeanour.

Not really sure why Rooney gets as much stick as he does, to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona have slapped a £45m price tag on Cesc Fabregas after encouraging interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, report the Daily Mail.

Fabregas was linked with a move to Old Trafford in one of last summer's leading sagas, before reaffirming his commitment to Barca.

However, it seems he could now be available as the Catalan club prepare for 'profound changes', with Javier Mascherano, Dani Alves, Pedro and Cristian Tello also nearing the exit door.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    £45m is a no-brainer.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Fabregas, Vidal, Reus, Shaw, Hummels would be just about the perfect summer lineup.

Get to work Hislop.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

Daily Star

It is quite staggering that someone of Van Gaal's pedigree finds himself having to rebuild an entire back four - but this is his biggest and most pressing challenge.

Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic have left gaping holes that will be difficult - some even argue impossible - to fill.

Ferdinand was a Rolls-Royce of a centre-back at his peak, while Vidic led the team with the sort of qualities that made United great in the first place.

To make matters worse for Van Gaal Patrice Evra is leaving (he is holding talks with Juventus) while neither Chris Smalling nor Rafael are considered to be up the the standard the Dutchman demands.

Van Gaal can forget challenging for the Premier League title without a defensive unit of the highest quality. Just ask Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers about how costly a leaky defence can be.

But moves are afoot to put the building blocks in place. Luke Shaw is destined for Old Trafford from Southampton in a £30m deal, while Mats Hummels and Bruno Martins are also on the wanted list.

Bacary Sagna, however, has subbed them in favour of joining neighbours and new champions Manchester City and right-back remains a serious problem that Van Gaal has to solve and quick.

Midfield is of equal concern as the defence, Ryan Giggs in now officially retired, while Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher are entering the twilight of their careers.

The likes of Tom Cleverley, Anderson, Ashley Young, Nani and Antonio Valencia, meanwhile are just not good enough - while Marouane Fellaini looks like a fish out of water.

Wesley Sneijder is back on United's radar and he is someone Van Gaal knows well after working with him at international level.

Cesc Fabregas, Toni Kroos, Marco Reus and Arjen Robben have also emerged as the players Van Gaal would like to lure to Manchester.

Rising Holland and Feyenoord star Jordy Clasie, 22, is the sort of young playmaker Van Gaal will be targeting.

Clasie impressed during last weekend's Holland clash with Ecuador and is being tipped to establish himself as one of the best midfielders in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sneijder?!

Should have seen it coming, I suppose.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sneijder?!

Should have seen it coming, I suppose.

been an amazing player, in 2010 i would have said best in the world even(for that one season)

but has not looked same at gala,must be 31 now? still could do a job possibly unde rlvg though on 2 year contract.

might be worth it, will add some class back to united midfield.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I don't know where he's playing these days but doesn't he play more in the number 10 role?

I think between Mata, Rooney and Kagawa we pretty much have that role covered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona have slapped a £45m price tag on Cesc Fabregas after encouraging interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, report the Daily Mail.

Fabregas was linked with a move to Old Trafford in one of last summer's leading sagas, before reaffirming his commitment to Barca.

However, it seems he could now be available as the Catalan club prepare for 'profound changes', with Javier Mascherano, Dani Alves, Pedro and Cristian Tello also nearing the exit door.

Pedro and Cesc would be brilliant signings for us, I would love them both here, if they really are both available.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    I don't know where he's playing these days but doesn't he play more in the number 10 role?

ya very true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    been an amazing player, in 2010 i would have said best in the world even(for that one season)

but has not looked same at gala,must be 31 now? still could do a job possibly unde rlvg though on 2 year contract.

might be worth it, will add some class back to united midfield.

I'm not denying that he's a quality player, it's more that we've been linked to him for about 243 years.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with the love interest with Giggs as Assistant Manager? Do you guys see something in him? Of all the several ex ManU players turned coaches over the years he seems to have the weakest personality. Over collegiate, one of the lads, ...

I suppose with Van Gaal he will be the good guy to Van Gaal's bad guy so there is a use for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was reacting to Batdude's comment ;-)

Apologies Jim. I wonder what could have poesessed me not to read a Batdude post? ;-)
    I must admit to being a little puzzled by this attitude.

I've seen several comments in various places along the lines of 'If Rooney doesn't like it, he can f*** off', or 'I hope than Van Gaal gives him a major boot up the arse'.

Rooney was one of our best players, last season. He was one of a few that actually looked like they were trying.

By contrast, Van Persie seemed to retreat within himself, and had a pretty sulky demeanour.

Not really sure why Rooney gets as much stick as he does, to be honest.

Noooooooo! That's not what i meant at all. I was one of the few who wanted Ronney to stay last summer and have consistently praised him all season. I'm not giving Rooney stick, I just don't want him to get complacent now he's got the salary he wanted.

Wayne has come a long way from the youngster whose head used to drop if things weren't going well and became a tackling liability. Now, when he's fit, I think he responds pretty well to pressure - as last season showed. A fit Wayne Rooney who feels he has something to prove is a definite asset as I hope we'll see in Brazil.

Agree about RVP. I'm probably going to lay a bet that he wins or is close to the golden boot at the WC, but he is one of the many players whose behaviour last season came across as thoruoghly unprofessional.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    He only signed a new contract last year.

It's become one of these bizarre yearly occurrences where his agent comes out with nonsense.

This year it's because we didn't wish him happy birthday, couldn't make it up..

I also didn't realise he was Muslim and they don't celebrate birthdays!! Awkward :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooooooo! That's not what i meant at all. I was one of the few who wanted Ronney to stay last summer and have consistently praised him all season. I'm not giving Rooney stick, I just don't want him to get complacent now he's got the salary he wanted.

Oh, ok. That's fair enough, but the point stands that a lot of people seem to be saying stuff like that about Rooney. I appreciate that you're not one of them.

As for getting complacent, that would have happened last season if it was going to happen at all, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I also didn't realise he was Muslim and they don't celebrate birthdays!! Awkward :D

Thanks. Must say I thought you'd made this up until I googled it. :blush:

Seems to be variable mixed practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »

Spot on. I would say a proper ball winner who can pass accurately over ten yards is more important than another attacking midfielder. Might even allow Carrick to have one last hurrah as well. Didn't know that Wesley is still only 29 though, thought he was a bit older than that.
    What's with the love interest with Giggs as Assistant Manager? Do you guys see something in him? Of all the several ex ManU players turned coaches over the years he seems to have the weakest personality. Over collegiate, one of the lads, ...

I suppose with Van Gaal he will be the good guy to Van Gaal's bad guy so there is a use for him.

I think you'll find that love interest is at board level, rather than thread level. I agree with you about his personality and I think only exceptionally strong people can be as flawed as he obviously is and still succeed at executive level. I would love for him to go elsewhere, do a good job and prove me wrong instead of him practically walking into the top job in 3-4 years.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Must say I thought you'd made this up until I googled it. :blush:

Seems to be variable mixed practice.

I must admit I googled it as well cos I wasn't entirely convinced!!! I do vaguely remember him turning down the fizz as MOTM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he did leave (which I don't personally think that he wants to do) to try and become a more well rounded coach, I think it could be good for him, especially if he went to a club in Europe, say at an Ajax, or Bilbao, somewhere where there is a good history of promoting youth, whist also being a good breading ground for managers.

Staying here might be too much of a comfort blanket for him (if that makes sense), as he is not really pushing his boundaries, and getting out of his comfort zone.

Good luck to him here with us, in his new role, but I think that he could get more from doing the job away from us, then if he is successful, he could always come back, look at Pep he left Barca, (alright as a player), but came back having learnt a lot from his spell in Italy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on. I would say a proper ball winner who can pass accurately over ten yards is more important than another attacking midfielder. Might even allow Carrick to have one last hurrah as well. Didn't know that Wesley is still only 29 though, thought he was a bit older than that.

Yes, we have got more than our fair share of creative, attacking players (Rooney, Kagawa, Mata and Adnan), it is just a case of trying to fit them all together, adding one more won't be that helpful really.

We are lacking (and have lacked for a good few years now) some proper competition to Carrick, and to allow him to rest, and not be needed in every match, (which he is at the moment).
This discussion has been closed.