Options

Will you be voting tomorrow?

Comments

• Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the whole UKIP are racist bit, yes some of their loonie, troll like candidates have posted dodgy comments, and those people need to be sacked and Farage is getting rid of them.

The EU is hugely racist and we are forced into discriminating between people wanting to come in from the EU and those from outside. Is that fair? if you are from the EU in you come, no immigration procedure needed, if you are from Aisa, US, Australia, Africa etc. you have to go through immigration process. UKIP want to put a stop to that, so how does that make them more racist than the EU.

They support civil partnerships but not gay marriage and only because of EU legislation that could see catholics, muslims etc. being forced by law to carry out marriage services, I don't think that is homophobic.
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No simply because I know nothing about who is standing and what they stand for?

Are they National candidates or Local to my area?

If so who are they and where can I find out about who will be on the ballot paper?

On my card it says Electoral Area: South East - if that is anything important?

Anyone more clued up about it than me as there simply can't be anyone less clued up about it all.

Have you lived your life in captivity without any access to the real world?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    Have you lived your life in captivity without any access to the real world?

I vote in general/local elections but European elections are an unknown quantity to me.
    Some people love politics and spend their lives reading all the details and know all the treaties inside out and good for them. Others however don't and have other things taking up their time.

Now that someone has kindly supplied me with a list. I have studied who is running and shall be voting later. However, if these people want my vote, they have actually done sweet FA to canvas it and the fact that I had to ask on here about who is standing says it all about this election. they want my vote then why have they not made it know that they are standing, what they stand for and why they think I should vote for them. Sticking one poster up outside the council offices, just isn't good enough.

But judging by your username, I can see that you have connections with a country ruled by politics for decade upon decade and so can see why you should see it from a different point of view.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Yes and I'll be voting for UKIP. I'm not fully British, my family came here went anti-Irish feeling was rife, so I'm not against immigration. I just think we should have policies akin to Australia or even temporary visas. Freeze immigration for a year or so then reintroduce it with stricter checks and lower numbers. If you're a hardworking person willing to live by British law then I don't give a damn where you came from.

I like their crime policy ideas

I disagree with some other policies, for example they're against gay marriage, I'm for it but they have said they wouldn't try to change it back to exclusively civil partnerships.

They have some party nuts but every party does, you're just hearing a lot about heirs because they've recently became a lot more popular.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    You have that right now and you will have it on Friday regardless of what you do on Thursday. Don't let anyone try and take that away. People died for your freedom of choice that some one here are trying to take away.

How very reassuring.

I could fail to paticipate through apathy or laziness (it is tempting as I am a bit of both really) and then moan about the outcome, but really that would just make me fool who deserves to be ignored.

No one on here is trying to take away anyone's freedom, they are simply expresing opinions, very poor playing of the 'people died for you' card on your part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Labour, Lib Dem and Conservatives're all on the same side.
    Anybody voting and supporting the BNP or UKIP're branded as racists or xenophobic Little Englanders.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Yes and I'll be voting for UKIP. I just think we should have policies akin to Australia or even temporary visas. Freeze immigration for a year or so then reintroduce it with stricter checks and lower numbers. If you're a hardworking person willing to live by British law then it shouldn't matter where you came from.

I like their crime policy ideas

I disagree with some other policies, for example they're against gay marriage, I'm for it but they have said they wouldn't try to change it back to exclusively civil partnerships.

They have some party nuts but every party does, you're just hearing a lot about heirs because they've recently became a lot more popular.

...I agree with everything you have said here and the reason why I will be voting for them as well.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Voted this morning. It was very quiet even though we have Local Council, Euro and the pointless mayor to decide.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For most of my life I have been very sure of my political choice, and for many, many years was an SDP, then LibDem activist who berated on many a doorstep when told "I never vote" or "I don't bother voting".

Now, for the first time ever, I find myself in the same position, particularly for the locals.

Euros - I'm torn between UKIP - purely as a protest and to stick a rocket up the EU, but will probably find holding my nose too much and will go Tory. This will be enough to get me to the polling booth (about 100 metres away!).

I find the prospect of not voting for council candidates very difficult, but I just cannot support any of them. It's been a hung council (Tory/LibDem) and my local Tory councillors have been useless. Two are being replaced by religious types (one in a dog collar), so they are off the radar for me. It's Labour's No 1 target in London and I desperately do not want the borough to go that way for many reasons, not least the agenda of many in the south of the borough, which resembles downtown Islamabad. These days I could no more vote LibDem than eat my own arms. Don't want a UKIP councillor, or a Green.

There is nobody for whom I can vote that won't leave me deeply regretful afterwards. I just HAVE to vote somehow though.

What a state we are in.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I fundamentally believed in the concept, use and point of a European parliament, I would vote. As it is, I don't, so I won't and will be spoiling my voting slip accordingly. It's nice that 'they' asked, but I neither want nor need someone representing me in Europe. I thought I did, in elections gone by, but as it turned out, I've managed just nicely without ever having to call on their services, nor they mine, so I'll give it a miss this time round.

Incidentally, did you know that Gibraltar comes under the SW constituency? Not a bad place for a fact-finding mission come winter. No wonder there's thirty-six candidates chasing six vacancies.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe everyone who will vote should give 1 vote for the BNP on behalf of the people who don't want to vote as they won't care if they get into power in any of their councils!!!(Rolleyes of course) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    How very reassuring.

I could fail to paticipate through apathy or laziness (it is tempting as I am a bit of both really) and then moan about the outcome, but really that would just make me fool who deserves to be ignored.

No one on here is trying to take away anyone's freedom, they are simply expresing opinions, very poor playing of the 'people died for you' card on your part.

"I could fail to paticipate through apathy or laziness" - Yes you could or alternatively because you actively chose to and that is your right to do so. And yes people did die for your freedom to do just that or else we would be in a dictatorship where you would not have that choice.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should make voting compulsory, if you don't vote then you get a fine.

Yes I'll be voting as I don't want the nasty Tories in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    If the UKIP/BNP cared about Britain so much, they'd tell the European Parliament and EU to go **** themselves, pull us out and give us our independence, ALL our powers of self-rule, British passports and take our country back and give it back to us..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see a major protest vote in UKIP's favour and lots of talk about it afterwards.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    For most of my life I have been very sure of my political choice

[snip]

Now, for the first time ever, I find myself in the same position, particularly for the locals.

[snip]

There is nobody for whom I can vote that won't leave me deeply regretful afterwards. I just HAVE to vote somehow though.

What a state we are in.

Yep, I feel your pain.

Rock > Me :confused: < Hard Place
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been out to vote - Alliance and NI Greens for Europe; Alliance and independent in the local election.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Should make voting compulsory, if you don't vote then you get a fine.

Yes I'll be voting as I don't want the nasty Tories in.

How very democratic and not like a dictatorship at all.

If it came to that I would just pay the fine I'd sooner pay than vote.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How very democratic and not like a dictatorship at all.

If it came to that I would just pay the fine I'd sooner pay than vote.

Indeed. Voting is a personal choice and should remain that way.

If politicians want people to vote, some voter/candidate engagement would be a better way to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Labour, Lib Dem and Conservatives're all on the same side.
    Anybody voting and supporting the BNP or UKIP're branded as racists or xenophobic Little Englanders.

I know several non English, even non British people voting UKIP. Whether it's protest or not, not all UKIP voters are English.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    the number of posters on this thread claiming to be voting UKIP is vastly disproportionate to the measly nth of a nth of a nth percentage of the vote they will actually get.

DS is either unrepresentative or full of liars... Bit like the IQ threads, and the how much do you earn threads. we are a forum of UKIP voting high earners with !Qs off the scale. :D
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I read people's comments, the more I think we need lots of independent people to get up and stand in elections.

That way, we will get the politicians we want. It won't change any other way.

I may have to do it myself.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    "I could fail to paticipate through apathy or laziness" - Yes you could or alternatively because you actively chose to and that is your right to do so. And yes people did die for your freedom to do just that or else we would be in a dictatorship where you would not have that choice.

Hmm yes, actively doing nothing, jolly good! I actively stay in bed at the weekend. It's not laziness, I am taking a principled stand (well a princpled lie down anyway).

No one died to prevent me from being made to vote, and anyway no one is being made to vote, stop being so silly.

Vote, don't vote, I don't give a monkey's, but not voting simply because you can't be bothered to participate isn't that admirable imo, and renders your voice irrelevant in political debate.

Not voting for a candidate because you disagree with all of them, or with the system is a different matter, but I would suggest that a more effective way to communicate that is by spoiling your ballot paper, otherwise you are simply giving those in power a free pass to ignore your concerns.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    the number of posters on this thread claiming to be voting UKIP is vastly disproportionate to the measly nth of a nth of a nth percentage of the vote they will actually get.

What on earth are you on about?

I would say it's proportionately higher than their general support, but seeing as they are likely to get the largest share of the vote, you are light years away in your percentage projection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    primer wrote: »

DS is either unrepresentative or full of liars... Bit like the IQ threads, and the how much do you earn threads. we are a forum of UKIP voting high earners with !Qs off the scale. :D

Just because others have different political views doesn't mean they can't possibly be intelligent or have a high paying job. It's not a case of all working class people vote Labour, all students vote Liberal, all upper classes vote Tory.

I know a teenage mother who voted Conservative. I know a surgeon who is voting green.