12:45 - BBC News
    13:15 - BBC Regional News
    13:30 - D-Day 70
    18:30 - News?

Much obliged to you and Dancc.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I think its more to do with how far Corrie has fallen. This time last year Corrie was around 9.5m after timeshift and EE 7.5m so EE has gone up a bit, whereas Corrie has dropped hugely. But EE has done fine.

That is of course very true and we still have not found the reason for that either. Corrie was fine up to Xmas then pretty good over the holiday period and then as dropped massively yoy. :confused:
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Confirmation in Broadcast that When Corden Met Barlow on the May Day Bank Holiday had a pure timeshift of +1.36m on days 2-8 (joint-top timeshifter of the week with Prey, which was directly opposite it), taking the overnight from 3.43m (13.85%) to a consolidated rating of 4.80m (16.1%), a timeshift of +39.5%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    That is of course very true and we still have not found the reason for that either. Corrie was fine up to Xmas then pretty good over the holiday period and then as dropped massively yoy. :confused:

A quality issue, according to some regular viewers. Not a surprise to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    A quality issue, according to some regular viewers. Not a surprise to them.

But the Roy/Hayley story ran through into the new year and I thought that was praised?
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 'bloody's and 1 'crap' in Holby tonight. I like the realism. Why can't we have softer swear words in pre-watershed dramas? What actually are the rules?
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite simple really. Off screen problems haven't helped I mean I can't remember last time William Roche and Michael Le Vell having a extended time off screen before.

Its still the highest rated soap getting over 8 million in the officials timeshifting over 1 million on catch up and some Monday episodes getting 40% shares.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re: Corrie in 2013 the year began in January with the much-hyped Rovers fire which killed Sunita, the repercussions of which were being felt for months later (helping to build ratings as Karl's secrets unravelled). Similarly the high-profile storyline of Kirsty Soames' abuse of Tyrone was really kicking off around this time and continued right up til an April climax and court case. This kept figures high. However, come BGT week 2013 we had relatively dull plots like Tina's surrogacy dominating, and really not a lot happened until Hayley was diagnosed in July/August ish - which carried the show through the rest of 2013.

As for 2014, after Hayley's traumatic death (it was very hard hitting, incredible, but a gut punch) some viewers probably needed to take a break. Plus it was the end of a long chapter, with no 'new strands' coming from it. I stopped watching live/same day for about 2-3 weeks and I'm a huge fan just due to the intensity of those final months, particularly weeks. Then along comes the unpopular affair storyline which kicked off, and no one likes watching affairs as they're either having one, afraid their partner is having one, or their parents split up over one. Peter and Carla are popular as a couple and many people would like to think he's reformed after his past; so watching him regress to alcohol and cheating has been infuriating. Watching these characters being so morally bad and getting away with it has been uncomfortable and annoying. Also Anna Windass whoring herself to sleazy Pat Phelan to save her family was again horrid to watch but makes for good storyline material going forward and, as with most of these things, the fallout / consequences are much more satisfying to watch as a viewer than the 'deeds' themselves.

VERY much unlike the action packed January to April 2013, this year's Jan-Apr has been ground laying and buildup for a complete explosion next week which will kickstart the show all the way to Christmas. According to the producer there's a huge October turning point/plot twist and again a massive January planned. Jim McDonald, Ken Barlow returning and other things.

So the reason the ratings are lower IMO are because the structure of this year storyline-wise is different. Last year the first half of the year was really strong, this year the first half has been groundwork.

That is what I meant when I said the other day with soaps it's unfair sometimes to do YoY comparisons due to the structuring of the storyline arcs and peaks changing. Corrie's whole structure this year is the reverse of last year.
    Its still the highest rated soap getting over 8 million in the officials timeshifting over 1 million on catch up and some Monday episodes getting 40% shares.
    Yep, not the crisis many make out and will pick up well next week. I worry for the week after with it airing at 7, 7.30, 8, 8.30 and 9 across the week, but the intensity of the storyline progression (Tina's murder/fallout and Anna's confession/fallout) should force viewers to keep a closer eye on the schedules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    3 'bloody's and 1 'crap' in Holby tonight. I like the realism. Why can't we have softer swear words in pre-watershed dramas? What actually are the rules?

No hard-and-fast rules, but I would say those are pretty mild swear-words already! The favourite in EastEnders seems to be "bleedin'".

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/harmoffence/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    No hard-and-fast rules, but I would say those are pretty mild swear-words already! The favourite in EastEnders seems to be "bleedin'".

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/harmoffence/
    'Bleedin' is no substitute for 'bloody' though, it's the same as 'flipping' in Corrie, they should use 'bloody' instead. And I'm sure it would increase the realism of EastEnders/soaps if they used words like that and 'crap' or even 'damn' a bit more. Sounds silly but I sort of think it's acceptable nowadays and would be good for soaps to chuck in more everyday language like that, nothing strong but soft words like that.

But even insults like '****' and 'bitch' which used to be chucked around EastEnders in the 90s/early 00s seem censored now ...? And old episodes of Corrie at least used 'bloody' on the reg which lended to the social realism element. I wonder if there was a tightening of rules or something. There should be a 7pm watershed for soft language IMO especially since the depiction of murder, rape etc is "fine".

Sorry, not really ratings related but thank you very much for the Ofcom link, interesting stuff there.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a time when a top soap and a Potter like film showing would have won the night with ease, but times change.

Great news for me that Ripper Street 3 has started filming.

Found Del Boy/dealers strangely compelling. One chap was convinced he had got 2 authentic Rolex watches for £25.00 but perhaps unsurprisingly eventually found they were worth.........£25.00 (probably got them off Monkey Harris :D ). All of them were almost insanely optimistic that they were certain to unearth a missing Rembrandt the next day........and what can be said about the hearse! Worth a watch next week imo.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Re: Corrie in 2013 the year began in January with the much-hyped Rovers fire which killed Sunita, the repercussions of which were being felt for months later (helping to build ratings as Karl's secrets unravelled). Similarly the high-profile storyline of Kirsty Soames' abuse of Tyrone was really kicking off around this time and continued right up til an April climax and court case. This kept figures high. However, come BGT week 2013 we had relatively dull plots like Tina's surrogacy dominating, and really not a lot happened until Hayley was diagnosed in July/August ish - which carried the show through the rest of 2013.

As for 2014, after Hayley's traumatic death (it was very hard hitting, incredible, but a gut punch) some viewers probably needed to take a break. Plus it was the end of a long chapter, with no 'new strands' coming from it. I stopped watching live/same day for about 2-3 weeks and I'm a huge fan just due to the intensity of those final months, particularly weeks. Then along comes the unpopular affair storyline which kicked off, and no one likes watching affairs as they're either having one, afraid their partner is having one, or their parents split up over one. Peter and Carla are popular as a couple and many people would like to think he's reformed after his past; so watching him regress to alcohol and cheating has been infuriating. Watching these characters being so morally bad and getting away with it has been uncomfortable and annoying. Also Anna Windass whoring herself to sleazy Pat Phelan to save her family was again horrid to watch but makes for good storyline material going forward and, as with most of these things, the fallout / consequences are much more satisfying to watch as a viewer than the 'deeds' themselves.

VERY much unlike the action packed January to April 2013, this year's Jan-Apr has been ground laying and buildup for a complete explosion next week which will kickstart the show all the way to Christmas. According to the producer there's a huge October turning point/plot twist and again a massive January planned. Jim McDonald, Ken Barlow returning and other things.

So the reason the ratings are lower IMO are because the structure of this year storyline-wise is different. Last year the first half of the year was really strong, this year the first half has been groundwork.

That is what I meant when I said the other day with soaps it's unfair sometimes to do YoY comparisons due to the structuring of the storyline arcs and peaks changing. Corrie's whole structure this year is the reverse of last year.

Yep, not the crisis many make out and will pick up well next week. I worry for the week after with it airing at 7, 7.30, 8, 8.30 and 9 across the week, but the intensity of the storyline progression (Tina's murder/fallout and Anna's confession/fallout) should force viewers to keep a closer eye on the schedules.

Let us hope next week lives up to the hype, after this long drawn out affair. Its such an awful way to write Tina out (the affair) and make her nasty, and where she has conveniently become Carla's best buddy. Its these sort of contrived things in soap which ruin what could have been a better storyline.

You say SB has built the groundwork, but that has affected the ratings immensely and I really can't see next wee getting over 9million. I think its going to struggle to get ratings momentum after so many poor months. Each episode that is without big drama should still be of good quality and writing, exept it just hasn't. All the storylines since Hayley's died have been boring and repetitive. Nothing to get excited about. A complete contrast to Phil Collinson's era.

I am looking forward to the Ken and Dierdre storyline, plus the return of Jim McDonald.

The one big problem with Corrie is that it has too many dud characters that don't need to be there anymore (Michelle, Sophie, Maddie, even Fizz, Chesney etc. They're all dull.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simple really. Off screen problems haven't helped I mean I can't remember last time William Roche and Michael Le Vell having a extended time off screen before.

Weren't they off-screen for reasons ''beyond their control'' ? I believe Roache is back soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    There was a time when a top soap and a Potter like film showing would have won the night with ease, but times change.

Great news for me that Ripper Street 3 has started filming.

I agree - love Ripper Street.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    John Plunkett ‏@johnplunkett149 6m

Peter Bowker's BBC1 drama From There to Here with Philip Glenister started 4.5m viewers, 21.8% share
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    D.M.N. Have you seen any schedules for June 6, just wondering what the BBC are giving us for D Day particularly the ceremony on the beach at Arromanches which reduced the Queen (and some commentators) to tears in 1994 ? I know Huw Edwards is presenting. As Obama is there I assume the nightly news shows will all be coming from there as well.

Fun and games since President Putin of Russia is going too along with Prince Charles and all the western leaders, should make everyone uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »

Peter Bowker's BBC1 drama From There to Here with Philip Glenister started 4.5m viewers, 21.8% share

Underwhelming ( as was the program IMO ) might have pulled a few more in on Monday though.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That Drama was the very definition of Niche
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Underwhelming ( as was the program IMO ) might have pulled a few more in on Monday though.
    It was a good rating for a niche drama. It'll plug the gap between now and the World cup fine. Thrashed itv by two to one and lead bbc1 to yet another 9pm win. Job done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Paul O' Grady Show has got Dame Julie Andrews and Ian McKellen on his show today if anyone is interested

Angelina Jolie next Wednesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Paul O' Grady Show has got Dame Julie Andrews and Ian McKellen on his show today if anyone is interested

I bet Pointless continues to batter it by two to one in the ratings.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would have had more on Monday but perhaps not much more. Monday and Sunday are the best nights for drama ratings with Tuesday close behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And suddenly a one-off drama getting 4.5m is great, when before it was skimmed over because it was one-off.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They were both on The One Show the other day werent they?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@EastEndersPress: EastEnders was the highest rating show on TV yesterday, with an average of 6.8 million viewers and a peak of 7.2m."

On the low side?
This discussion has been closed.