Options

People from Council Estates are more likely to commit crime.

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just been thinking that people from Council Estates are 100x more likely to commit a crime than someone from a nice Cul-de-Sac as they have been brought up surrounded by other people who commit crimes and their parents haven't done a good enough job a bringing the them up. Just look at your nearest Council Estate and look at where you live and compare you the two.

My nearest Council Estate is a place called Caia Park (Formerly Queen's Park) and it's always been known for being a rough place, there are daily reports of crime such as burglary, arson, rape, murder, violence and more. 75% of people from are rough as hell and most of the parents don't care about their kids and only have them so they can claim more money.

I live in a village, the crime rates are really low and you only hear of something happening about twice a year. There's a few rough people who I know originally came from Council Estates and they've committed crimes before. Parents here are very supportive of not just their own kids but others too.

So does anyone agree that crime is more likely when you come from a Council Estate and you haven't had enough love/support from family?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any evidence to support your assertions? Beyond the anecdotal, of course.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All stories about the same council estate?

Doesn't seem representative somehow.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously you get fewer arson attacks under that bridge; there's not so much to burn and plenty of water with which to extinguish it.
  • Options
    rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you think all those living in huge gated properties are angels ?
    And I suppose you don't think tax evasion is crime ?
    Do you think that "successful" criminals live in council properties ?
    Open your eyes and then try a dash of reality.
    Criminals come from all walks of life and are criminals for lots of different reasons and although a person's lower financial background can affect some people it is not the overall deciding factor. Morals and Greed is a factor in peolple becoming criminals and neither of those are fully dependant on where your live.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Crime is often an economic issue. Statistically people who are poor are more likely to commit particular types of crime like shoplifting, stealing cars or other 'street crime' and these crimes are the most likely to be prosecuted. People with money are more likely to commit other types of crime, tax evasion, fraud and forgery for example, these are less likely to be detected and prosecuted. Some crimes like domestic violence and child abuse aren't really impacted by economic status.

Street crime however is the most visible and the most reportable as far as the press is concerned which gives a somewhat skewed impression of what's going on. Don't for a second assume that everyone in your cul de sac is a law abiding citizen, or indeed that everyone on a council estate isn't.

Those types of generalisation just make you seem stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    But not all council estates are the same or have you been to every single one in UK to assume that there's crime there?
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,206
    Forum Member
    0/10

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived on a council estate .. i'm sticking this thread up .. gimme your money ..
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a load of B-locks >:(
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or even B-llocks lol
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go along with what was said in post #6.

Crimes are committed by all social classes. Admittedly, at the top end of society there is more white collar crime than those that involve violence but it's crime nonetheless. Perhaps what is more common between all social classes is an apparent growing sense of self- entitlement as justification for committing those crimes.

That has nothing to do with the way a person was raised but more to do with a shift in societal attitudes such as if you can get away with it, why not? Unfortunately, honesty, integrity, moral values etc are now generally regarded as quaint and old fashioned in today's dog eat dog world. Is that a good or bad thing though, well you decide. If you are happy to exploit people and situations in a criminal way then good luck to you but don't expect sympathy if you are eventually caught and don't blame others for your bad decisions.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    i grew up on a council estate
    I have never comitted a crime
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    People in nice middle class cul de sacs're far more likely to believed when they deny it and can afford lawyers so they're more likely to get away with it.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    People in nice middle class cul de sacs're far more likely to believed when they deny it and can afford lawyers so they're more likely to get away with it.

This. End of.

When I lived in Camberley opposite where I lived was what I had been told was a rather well-known criminal family who had bought their huge house on the proceeds of drug money. Had expensive lawyers no doubt ;):(
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I doubt the Mr Bigs of the criminal world live in council houses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    What chance as some innocent kid from a council estate who was brought up decently, has never committed any crimes but is accused of a spate of burgalries, car thefts and muggings against a kid from a nice middle class area who happens to be a one man crime spree and his parents can very easily afford a lawyer and the kid from the council estate whose parents can't afford lawyers?
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    I've just been thinking that people from Council Estates are 100x more likely to commit a crime than someone from a nice Cul-de-Sac as they have been brought up surrounded by other people who commit crimes and their parents haven't done a good enough job a bringing the them up. Just look at your nearest Council Estate and look at where you live and compare you the two.

My nearest Council Estate is a place called Caia Park (Formerly Queen's Park) and it's always been known for being a rough place, there are daily reports of crime such as burglary, arson, rape, murder, violence and more. 75% of people from are rough as hell and most of the parents don't care about their kids and only have them so they can claim more money.

I live in a village, the crime rates are really low and you only hear of something happening about twice a year. There's a few rough people who I know originally came from Council Estates and they've committed crimes before. Parents here are very supportive of not just their own kids but others too.

So does anyone agree that crime is more likely when you come from a Council Estate and you haven't had enough love/support from family?

I agree with you to a certain extent although I don't believe that criminals are criminals just because they haven't received enough love and support....

I know that not every council estate is the same and not every sleepy village is the same, and there are all types of crime, but the sorts of crime that people are frightened of and the sort that gets reported on daily is the sort of crime (imo) that is generally going to come from poorer, working class áreas, such as council estates.

I don't think people can help but stereotype. For example, if I were walking down a quiet high street one evening, noone around apart from 6 young hoodies just basically loitering, I'm immediately going to be suspicious and probably try and walk somewhere else, and they may be perfectly innocent but the fact is noone knows that do they?

Same example with either walking down a quiet road in a small quaint village or walking around a tough council estate in Manchester or Birmingham. I know which one i'd choose!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record I'm not saying that ALL people from council estates are criminals. I know a handful of people from council estates who law abiding citizens and are quite decent.
  • Options
    debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »

I'd say that crime is more likely in areas of deprivation for obvious reasons, but that's a long way from stigmatising everyone that lives on a council estate as being a criminal. Council estates vary too - some are more crime ridden than others.

One thing I'd like to point out though, is that people who are asserting that residents of more upmarket areas are more likely to commit tax evasion, fraud and forgery, may not have considered that these crimes are not exclusively middle class in the same way that theft and violence is not solely attributable to the working classes.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    In my experience the offenders for violent and petty acquisitive crimes are more likely to be from the more deprived areas, however the reality is that these each of areas are home to thousands of people, with the majority of such crime being carried out by less people than I could count on two hands.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your evidence does not show that they are committing more crime, just that they are more likely to be caught
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, here we go.

1 - FM joined this month
    2 - FM has started number of inciting threads
    3 - It's half term

Don't feed the trolls ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, here we go.

1 - FM joined this month
    2 - FM has started number of inciting threads
    3 - It's half term

Don't feed the trolls ;-)

1: Yes I did join this month. What's the problem?
    2: What's wrong with starting new threads. Do you have to be part of some clique to be able to start threads?
    3: I am 22 and not in school or college.

I'm just posting what I couldn't post when I wasn't a member.
  • Options
    miss_sassy1miss_sassy1 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    any news on the pope's religion?