Options

Women unfit to be Police officers?

MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There were 35,471 female officers out of 129,956 officers in the 43 forces of England and Wales (including central service secondments), representing 27.3% of the total.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2013/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2013

Hundreds of police officers in England and Wales failed a fitness test due to become mandatory later this year.
Interim results submitted to the College of Policing from 39 forces show that 851 officers fell short of the mark - out of 30,000 tests.
Of those who failed the test, 253 were male and 598 female.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27581533

When we apply the percentage for overall female officers (27.3%) to the number of tests (30,000) we can estimate that around 8190 WPCs took the test. Their failure rate would therefore be 7.3%.
Using the same method male failure rate is only 1.2%.

Proof indeed that women are less suited to the demands of the modern day Police Service.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Did you establish to see if they can make the bed, cook dinner and iron shirts as an alternative career?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you establish to see if they can make the bed, cook dinner and iron shirts as an alternative career?

Give me the raw figures and I will.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    We need them though to perpetuate those stories of WPC strippagram mix-up mirth.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many get "You're far too pretty to be a Police Woman" on a daily basis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do these tests actually involve? Maybe they're better suited to men physically it doesn't mean woman are less suited to the job.

For example on average men are taller than women, it could give them an advantage in climbing exercises.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some areas of policing in which they're probably essential. Particularly with regards to sexual related crimes.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Meercam wrote: »
    There were 35,471 female officers out of 129,956 officers in the 43 forces of England and Wales (including central service secondments), representing 27.3% of the total.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2013/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2013

Hundreds of police officers in England and Wales failed a fitness test due to become mandatory later this year.
    Interim results submitted to the College of Policing from 39 forces show that 851 officers fell short of the mark - out of 30,000 tests.

When we apply the percentage for overall female officers (27.3%) to the number of tests (30,000) we can estimate that around 8190 WPCs took the test. Their failure rate would therefore be 7.3%.

Proof indeed that women are less suited to the demands of the modern day Police Service.

There's more to being a good police officer than fitness levels.

Regardless, you have provided proof that the 598 WPCs (and the 253 males) who failed the test are less suited to be police officers in fitness terms than all of those (male and female) who passed it. Nothing more.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    There's more to being a good police officer than fitness levels.

Regardless, you have provided proof that the 598 WPCs (and the 253 males) who failed the test are less suited to be police officers in fitness terms than all of those (male and female) who passed it. Nothing more.

It appears many are unfit.

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    It appears many are unfit.

Well according to that report 853 out of 30,000.

I'm finding it hard to find that too alarming tbh:)

Either way concluding that those numbers provide,
    seems like a bit of a reach.

It almost seems as though there was a pre existing axe to grind ;-)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have witnessed police women have a huge place within the service, they are much more able to calm situations than their male counterparts and that has to be valued above fitness surely ? I have seen many unfit males too not just unfit physically but mentally not up to the job.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have seen many unfit males too...

My mate in GMP is one of them. When he said he was going in the Police, myself and another mate of ours who had been in the army got him prepared for his fitness test, and spent the whole spring and summer of that year every evening doing hill reps with him on a steep hill near where we live. Up and down, up and down. We were already reasonably fit, and we got our mate ship shape.

Fast forward 15 years and he is massively overweight. But he's a big drinker.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of nonsense OP.

Fitness levels will deteriorate over the years, and if they all have to do this, there needs to be a process in place to cover that.

Not all officers need to be as fit as new recruits going onto shift work on the streets.

Balance and common sense needs applying here, unless this is a means of getting rid of older officers to cut back on pension payments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an incredibly silly, baiting OP. If you want to make a case for all police officers having to pass a fitness test, go ahead. I won't agree with it, but you could. But to pretend that 'women are unfit to be police officers' because a small minority of them have failed a fitness test is plain childish.

I don't suppose I would have passed the current fitness test during all the time I was a police officer. I was pregnant for several months, for one reason. Since I was working on a murder enquiry during this time, it did not really make any difference. I worked the same hours and did the same work as everyone else on the enquiry, and indeed I have always believed that I was found rather useful, being naturally thorough and good at high-volume intelligence information.

How much of their total service do you suppose a police officer spends either running or fighting? I should think it is less than 0.001%.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only have to get to 5.4 on the bleep test? Wow. I was the fattest, most overweight kid in my (mixed) class at school, dropped out first and still managed that when I was 14.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the WPCs, have the second sexiest uniform, all that black on white, second only to the nurses.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP has conflated the two meanings of 'unfit' - has taken the fact some women lack the physical fitness to pass a test and turned it into a suggestion that women are not suited to police work. A fairly obvious rhetorical ploy.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends on the roles they are in.

I mean, if a lot of these women are in admin' roles then it really doesn't matter if they're fat/old/short-sighted/whatever, as long as they're capable of doing their job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, a male PC and a WPC work very well together. Often the WPC will do the more delicate sensitive work, such as liaison with actual people, taking statements etc, whereas the male PC will do more of the physical enforcement, so they complement each other better than a pairing of two men or two women.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    They only have to get to 5.4 on the bleep test? Wow. I was the fattest, most overweight kid in my (mixed) class at school, dropped out first and still managed that when I was 14.

A lot of roles require a score a lot higher than 5.4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I guess it depends on the roles they are in.

I mean, if a lot of these women are in admin' roles then it really doesn't matter if they're fat/old/short-sighted/whatever, as long as they're capable of doing their job.

From the report by Tom Winsor, Chief Inspector of Constabulary.
    The physical fitness requirements which police officers must meet should test the things that police officers can be required to do in their work. Police regulations enable chief officers to deploy police officers to work which they are not accustomed to do, as was seen in the August 2011 riots.

Testing all police officers (and relevant staff) will contribute to forces’ strategies to meet their duties under the Police (Health and Safety) Act 1997 (and the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 in the case of staff). Police forces, as responsible employers, should ensure that all officers and relevant staff are physically capable of discharging their duties. Fitness testing for police officers is particularly important because officers are liable to be deployed to any role at any time. Chief Constables need to know that all their officers have a minimum level of fitness so that redeployment can be undertaken with confidence, particularly in an emergency.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130312170833/http://review.police.uk/publications/part-2-report/report-vol-1?view=Binary
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Winsor. The man appointed to screw the Police even more.

To expect all officers to have the same fitness levels is a joke, and unnecessary. The likelihood of older officers, away from front line work being deployed at riots is very slim.

This man is on a cost cutting mission, and getting rid of older officers saves a lot of money. I suspect this is what this is about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how having a penis makes you a good police officer. I can't think of any line of police work where penises play a vital role :confused:
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rubbish. Firstly physical fitness isn't the only necessary attribute so unless you have defines ALL of them and the total testing against male and females result shows significant differences then that would only be "proof" for that snapshot in time. Your question in the title is poor. There are some women who are far more physically fit than some men.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus wept
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I don't see how having a penis makes you a good police officer. I can't think of any line of police work where penises play a vital role :confused:

I don't see how anyone's penis status makes them more or less suited for any job.