Options

The Island with Bear Grylls - Channel 4

Comments

• Options
    dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far the have given them a fresh water supply, a couple o caymen, a field of yams, a 50 foot fishing net a day out at a turtle sanctuary and still they moan.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sure that turtle will be back for Ryan
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They don't seem to have made a lot of effort to use the vegetation as food........there must be something other than coconuts on all those trees and shrubs........berries, seeds, nuts, edible leaves

If they could just find some olive oil they could rustle up a nice salad......
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear god please tell me that's not colonic irrigation

maybe an enema?

Doesn't feel right we are nearly at the end already, series could go for longer...
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt bad for Ryan not seeing the turtle, I think it was mean of them to not go fetch him. And deliberate. Sam was considering it but probably felt an idiot doing so since he had Rupert breathing down his neck.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    maybe an enema?

Doesn't feel right we are nearly at the end already, series could go for longer...
    I'd be interested to see long term thing of proper survival but realise it would be very expensive and need a lot of editing taking out the long stretches of time doing nothing.
  • Options
    icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Ryan is one of those low-grade chavs who watches the Discovery Channel for programs on sharks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Rupert the stooge completely piloted the narrative in that episode, after the other "nice" cameraman stage-managed the whole Ryan transformation from boy to man (which didn't seem to take, if this week's show is any indication) last week.

To be fair, the show has been in desperate need of some characters as, aside from Ryan, the rest of the "legit" group appear forgettably anodyne or asleep.

Watching various members of the production crew playing a role in order to stir up a bit of melodrama isn't quite what "The Island" was sold as.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    So if you are in a life and death survival situation you have to cuddle and love the very thing that would sustain you. It's all a big fix anyway with Captain Caymen obviously put in to crank up the soap action. In a show you need to have at least one you like which is a bit of a problem with this bunch.

I couldn't even name more than two of them: Rupert and Ryan. Don't know where that fat kid's been hiding all these weeks. And there was another (camera) guy who went on the idiotic midnight caymen hunt who I'd never seen before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Did anybody notice the bit when the 3 guys were away hunting but just found figs. On their way back they had to jump over water. Rupert jumped but the other two walked round in the sea. Well, there was a bit showing Rupert's back and the narration was explaining he was ahead because he had jumped. But who was filming his back? They let on that there were only 3 of them at this stage.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    The oldeer guy with the dark grey beard.

'Day after day, day after day, we stuck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean...........................................by thy old grey beard and glittering eye, why for stoppeth thou me' etc. Coleridge's The Ancient Mariner rings a bell here.

Probably some misquotes here but haven't read the poem much since A level studies.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waltsalt wrote: »
    Did anybody notice the bit when the 3 guys were away hunting but just found figs. On their way back they had to jump over water. Rupert jumped but the other two walked round in the sea. Well, there was a bit showing Rupert's back and the narration was explaining he was ahead because he had jumped. But who was filming his back? They let on that there were only 3 of them at this stage.

I noticed that. Unless I'm mistaken I think the camera was very still, he could have sat it down on a rock to film himself walking away and then walked back to pick it up? He knows the tricks of the trade
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qwertyell wrote: »
    Rupert the stooge completely piloted the narrative in that episode, after the other "nice" cameraman stage-managed the whole Ryan transformation from boy to man (which didn't seem to take, if this week's show is any indication) last week.

To be fair, the show has been in desperate need of some characters as, aside from Ryan, the rest of the "legit" group appear forgettably anodyne or asleep.

Watching various members of the production crew playing a role in order to stir up a bit of melodrama isn't quite what "The Island" was sold as.

It does seem to be the case that in each episode it's two or more of the 'non-legit' group who have featured quite heavily in the proceedings.
    Surely that can't be right?

There's some of the 'legit' group who I'm not sure if I've even seen or not. Last night a face appeared on screen who seemed new to me as I don't think I'd seen him before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting aside whether Ryan is a complete arse or not, did I hear right that he had said at the start of this series to some of the others that one of his dreams was to see a turtle?

If that's the case then Rupert the meathead was definitely winding Ryan up on purpose when the morning after their caiman hunt he directly said to Ryan that they found a turtle and it's something some people dream of seeing all their life but never get the chance.
    That was clearly deliberate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waltsalt wrote: »

Very good point.
    They must have been in the water with them too going by some of the shots.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I think rupert and a few others are missing the point of the show.

The lazy ones like ryan, the fat one and the hairdresser are missing out on the survival expert. The fat ones done nothing but lay around. They are waited on so arent really getting the full experience.

Neither is rupert. Hes overexagerrating it all. They havent been left there to die, they arent in danger of dying. Yes you need to hunt for food but hes missing out on the island experience. Hes living basic day to day survival and shunning sams ideas for making the camp more comfortable, making fun things like the swing and bonding.

Hes just interested in going in alone as if hes been washed up. Maybe if they all built a decent shelter and had a nice camp they wouldnt think about food all the time. Like someone said theres enough of the little food to live off that they can enjoy the island rather than spend every waking second obsessing over caymen.
  • Options
    JaneEJaneE Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I thought I might have missed an episode. Where was Tony this week? Only saw a glimpse of him in the distance and a quick sound bite towards the end.
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up with episode 4 this morning....the lads are mostly lying in the sun. If that was me I would be sunburned, blistered and suffering from sunstroke by now. How do they do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Catching up with episode 4 this morning....the lads are mostly lying in the sun. If that was me I would be sunburned, blistered and suffering from sunstroke by now. How do they do it?

I think they have sun cream. It showed you them putting it on last week or the week before.

And head torches too. I don't remember Bear listing those among their basic supplies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I noticed that. Unless I'm mistaken I think the camera was very still, he could have sat it down on a rock to film himself walking away and then walked back to pick it up? He knows the tricks of the trade

I had thought that might have been the case but I watched it again and there are small movements of the camera back and forth which suggest it's being held rather sitting somewhere and maybe slipping a bit.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 31,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    I find it bizarre we've not seen them properly building a shelter unless I've missed it.

Ah but be fair, they have created a rather nice matching mug holder and hat stand!:D
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Putting aside whether Ryan is a complete arse or not, did I hear right that he had said at the start of this series to some of the others that one of his dreams was to see a turtle?

If that's the case then Rupert the meathead was definitely winding Ryan up on purpose when the morning after their caiman hunt he directly said to Ryan that they found a turtle and it's something some people dream of seeing all their life but never get the chance.

True Botham/ Rupert even admitted he shouldn't have said it but faced with some whining man child who didn't listen to the reasons they already gave re why they didn't trek back at night and wake people up just so that he could then come back and see it with them, I can't say I blame him all that much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The men are never going to be put in any danger whatsoever as insurance policies do not pay out for negligence regarding H&S. Their medical kit will have ample supplies of sunblock and vitamin and mineral pills as well as emergency fresh water and tinned food. In fact, they will not doubt be on a regime of pills for the duration.

I suspect that the island was specifically chosen as it has no threatening wildlife whatsoever. No caimans and no snakes. This allows the production company to satisfy its H&S & Insurance requirements. Caimans and snakes and stingrays are no doubt planted.

Notice in the first episode they actually made a point of someone pointing out a caiman from the boat as they landed.....this is complete bs. Also the snake appearing as they were deciding what to do ? again, complete bs. The stingray that they caught last night would have been planted with it's barb having been neutralised or removed.

There is no fresh water source on this island other than rainwater which is scarce and difficult to find. That ditch that they 'found' is a complete joke. Does it magically fill up over night? I expect that trench is lined and then topped up by producers with dyed water each time it gets low. Are people stupid enough to believe this? Call me cynical but i'm just putting these points out there.
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think every one is seeing through Rupert's idiotic Rambo routine now, it can only get worse for the big doofus.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

I'm sorry but he is an adult and none of them is his parent. He could have gone on the night hunt, even if they didn't catch anything it was an adventure that they would likely never experience again.

He behaved like an eight year old, yes I may have sneaked back and quietly woken an eight year old but an adult never.