Options

working hours.

crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if there is any law that says your legaly entitled to 2 cosecutive days off a week or in a month?.

Ive worked retail all my life which means a day off in the week ,work every Saturday and work every other Sunday. I enjoy my job but now have a 6 year old boy and want to spend more time with him which includes football and cricket at the weekends.

Does anyone know any favourable family laws to help get time off?

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an uninterrupted 24 hours without any work each week, or
    48 hours each fortnight

So 1 day every week
    or 2 days every other week.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have the right to request flexi time

google it its quite complicated and your employer can legally refuse

im also pretty sure its only a legal requirement if your child is under 6 or disabled, so you may have left it too late
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my OH has the same problem - split days off are absolutely knackering
    no solution I am afraid but my sympathies

are you able to swap with colleagues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like they can legally refuse on business grounds. The level of business is the same from a saturday to a weekday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    my OH has the same problem - split days off are absolutely knackering
    no solution I am afraid but my sympathies

are you able to swap with colleagues?

Everyone is suppose to work on a Saturday but the motor trade has changed and all days are equally busy. Im going to ask about the flexy time to HR and say I dont believe it will hinder the business.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a job I had quite a few years ago I used to often swap with colleagues who had kids to give them the weekends or Xmas etc, altho after a while it started to become more and more people begging or certain people taking the Mick, so I stopped doing it, and got a load of abuse. I ended up telling them that I'd had enough, some folk swapped my shifts before even asking me!

So then no one got, like I said to them it's not my problem you have kids, we all have to do our share, so my advice is be fair with colleagues if swapping shifts and bear in mind they're doing you a favour! Good luck!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    As a retail worker you can unilaterally decide to stop working Sundays after giving due notice.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working in the retail sector can be a bitch when it comes to working hours.

Do you work for Halfords?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Details for legal requirement for flexitime.

Employees who care for a child or adult have the legal right to request flexible working. This is known as ‘making a statutory application’.

The employer can turn down requests if they have a good business reason.

https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working/overview

As it states its only a request and the employer can turn it down.

As you can probably understand, everyone else working there pretty much wants the same thing so most of the time these kinds of situations are best worked out with your co-workers and not left to management. really needs to be some give and take between everyone.
  • Options
    tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    As a retail worker you can unilaterally decide to stop working Sundays after giving due notice.

But they don't have to give you these hours somewhere else, so you will be these hours down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is the plan ,im going to ask for one saturday a month off along side my Sunday.get that written into my contract. I will then op out of sundays!!
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Well this is the plan ,im going to ask for one saturday a month off along side my Sunday.get that written into my contract. I will then op out of sundays!!

Be careful they don't opt you out of a job. ;-)
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,074
    Forum Member

Retailers are cutting staff hours so imo you put yourself at risk of being out the door eventually.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hope it works out for you. I’d be interested to hear back on your employers response to you opting out on Sundays. I worked in retail many years ago and one of the many reasons I swore I would never go back to it was because of the totally inflexible working hours. Like you back then it was 6 days a week (well in theory 5 and a half as Wednesday was a half day although it never amounted anywhere near to a half day off). You never got two days off together. We had all sorts of other rules as well, no time off in the summer months, or near Christmas or Easter etc.

There were a few enlightened employers around who used to rota their staff so they all got at least some weekends off but not many.

As regards to the flexible working request that will be interesting too. It never seems to make a lot of sense to me in that your only “right” is to ask for it. You have no “right” to actually get it. It’s a difficult one because in most cases granting such a request usually means someone else has to work instead. That can cause a lot of resentment. As another poster has said you tend to end up with one group getting all the concessions and the other always group getting the rough end of the stick. I think the rules have recently changed so that all employees can now ask for flexible working instead of just those with families etc.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

From your OP, it read to me that you want weekends off rather than 2 consecutive days off. Your above post confirms it. Would you be happy with Tuesday and Wednesday off?

Retail is a business that runs 7 days a week, if you want weekends off, it'd be better to get a job in a different industry or in shop that opens Mon-Fri.

Could you change shifts with a colleague or ask the manager if the rota could rotate staff on weekends so that you and any others that want the odd Saturday off could? So that all of you have say one Saturday in every 3 off.

Yes, it is true in retail you can opt out of Sunday's. It's not a law I agree with, but those working in retail are perfectly entitled to use the law to get out of working on a Sunday.

Here's a link to the opt out of Sunday working law (only if in retail), so that you can quote/reference, if needed - https://www.gov.uk/sunday-working
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    It never seems to make a lot of sense to me in that your only “right” is to ask for it.
    I still don't understand why it needed legislation to give people the right to ask. Surely people were allowed to ask before, they only had to open their mouths?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Do you have a minimum amount of hours in your contract? Because if not then you may find that after doing this you may not be given any hours. If you have a minimum hours set though then you should be ok
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I still don't understand why it needed legislation to give people the right to ask. Surely people were allowed to ask before, they only had to open their mouths?

I would guess its because it means the employer has to consider the request. If you didn'thave the right to ask the employer wwouldn't have to consider it. As the employer can just say no anyway its all a bit pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the government website https://www.gov.uk/sunday-working it says all staff should be told of their Sunday working rights! I have never been told nore does my contract. I wonder how a tribunal would work if I claimed all my sundays back (pay)and time waisted with my family!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Do you have a minimum amount of hours in your contract? Because if not then you may find that after doing this you may not be given any hours. If you have a minimum hours set though then you should be ok

It says I should work a 45 hour week but says nothing at all about paid or not lunch breaks.

9-6 x 5 = 45 paid lunch
    9-6 x 5 =42.5 non paid lunch

Then im asked to work every other Sunday for 6 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got in princible from my manager that I can take 1 saturday off every month and work the thursday instead. Ive asked for it in writing.

Then the big one! im opting out of sundays. I will be mr unpopular at work but the law is there to help me. I wasnt born just to work!
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the government website https://www.gov.uk/sunday-working it says all staff should be told of their Sunday working rights! I have never been told nore does my contract. I wonder how a tribunal would work if I claimed all my sundays back (pay)and time waisted with my family!

Is where you work classed as a shop, as that is what the Sunday working laws are about, shop & betting shop employees...I know you said it was retail, but you also mentioned the motor trade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A car show room is classed as retail. I sell somthing so it must be retail ?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A car show room is classed as retail. I sell somthing so it must be retail ?

But is it classed as shop work, which the Sunday working laws state, doesn't mention retail, only shop & betting shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick google states the definition of shop is were goods and services are sold. I sell cars. I hope there is no loop hole