Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konya wrote: »
    I know it is inevitable but I don't like it when Sandy and AJ have little disagreements, it's kinda like a favourite Aunt and Uncle having a spat :(

I may go and climb in to my wardrobe until it's all over :D
    :D:D:D:D try art therapy ? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ_Tvll wrote: »
    You only hear what you wish to hear in those VT's Sandy !

You do realize of course that the purpose of those VT's is TV ratings don't you ?

It is far more dramatic and interesting to say OP could be acquitted of all charges after the referral….. it is not false… OP could be acquitted…. but nobody specified in those VT's that it would happen with a diagnosis of GAD

OP would have to be incapable of distinguishing right from wrong…. that's the LAW…. and GAD does NOT do that…. DrV said it, Nel and Roux agreed with DrV :p

i give up - agree to disagree -
    but they're qualified, you're not.:kitty:
  • Options
    konyakonya Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    sandy50 wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D try art therapy ? ;-)

Ah yes! Nice one. Thanks :D

*Goes off to scribble Koi Carp and guns.
  • Options
    AJ_TvllAJ_Tvll Posts: 3,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's question 1 that I struggle with. Who can ever prove that, for Bob or for OP, if there is no evidence of diagnosis or treatment before the crime?

I get what you mean…

In Bob's case with IDD, I made it so it would be obvious…. of course one would realize immediately something was terribly wrong when turning off the lights.

GAD is far more discreet…. it invades your life but you develop coping mechanism with time as the GAD progresses…. it's like myopia… you don't know you can't see clearly because you have no idea what truly seeing clearly is… plus it happens so gradually that you don't notice it's getting worse… then you go to the ophthalmologist and suddenly you see how poor your eyesight really was.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is quite a bit of damage to various parts of the bedroom door including the hole like a bullet hole.
    Interesting that the air gun is photographed with the baseball bat in close proximity.
  • Options
    Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    No. I think you are overlooking the fact that regardless of each sides versions - If that panel come back with unanimous report that they all go along with OP having GAD, and being in an anxiety fuelled heightened state of alert at the time he fired the shots, theJudge has to go along with the law that OP was not responsible for his actions. --

--- forget the testimonies, and the Expert evidence, the Judge can't hold him criminally responsible - and the Dr said even if she'd had knowledge of the State's case, he can still have condition of GAD - and as that VT said the Defence can ARGUE that the Judge deem OP to have diminished responsibility for the act -

The Judge will still do a reasonable person assessment, but with GAD and diminished capacity she would have to rule on that basis , = OP did not behave as another person without GAD would , that is why he did not behave reasonably, his get out being GAD -

and that's what Nel was alluding to ......, that Roux was introducing this diagnosis to use as mitigation for sentencing only, but it backfired and now OP's getting a full assessment by the Hospital that won't just be assessing him on OP's version. - but it can go both ways, and still work in OP's favour.

Refer back to one of the Oscar Trial Panel discussions where they said if the disorder they find, and it may not just be GAD, you can forget what's happened in trial so far, the Judge CANNOT try OP for Murder, he'd be discharged after assessment if he has any condition that falls under Mental Illness.

The danger is, as I've said, that they come back with same diagnosis as the imminent Dr Vorster - which the woman on the VT thinks they will, due to her being held in such high regard. The woman on that VT made no mention however, that Dr Vorster had compiled her report and made diagnosis JUST ON OP'S VERSION ALONE< which I found odd, and no idea why she didn't mention this in the VT !

gad isn't a severe enough mental disorder to get away with murder. and not just op. anyone. otherwise every murderer would be claiming it. stop panicking. he will only be acquitted if he's found to have a severe mental illness. like insanity. and, if that's the case, he will be spending time in a mental hospital

the gad will only come into play on oscar's version. it's irrelevant on the state's version. if he knew reeva was in the toilet, what was he scared of?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i give up - agree to disagree -
    but they're qualified, you're not.:kitty:

:D

At least I'm qualified to distinguish what was actually said from what was not said in those VT's

^_^
  • Options
    konyakonya Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gad isn't a severe enough mental disorder to get away with murder. and not just op. anyone. otherwise every murderer would be claiming it. stop panicking. he will only be acquitted if he's found to have a severe mental illness. like insanity. and, if that's the case, he will be spending time in a mental hospital

the gad will only come into play on oscar's version. it's irrelevant on the state's version. if he knew reeva was in the toilet, what was he scared of?

Exactly

1- A diagnosis of GAD can NEVER lead to OP's acquittal

2- OP's version of events must first be believed by Masipa for the GAD to be relevant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The woman on the VT says that the Defence can say he therefore had diminished responsibility at the time of the act didn't she ? I will play it back, if so though, the Judge can still aquit - I just can't see that happening given the evidence. and I do hope not though, of course.

i don't think that's the case, though. it was explicitly said by vorster that it doesn't impede his ability to distinguish right from wrong. and he didn't have diminished responsibility if he knew it was reeva. because he knew full well who was in the toilet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ooh a star in our midst. :D
  • Options
    Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow! I didn't know. Well deserved fame. I found DS through Donmack's post being quoted on another blog.
  • Options
    Forum Member

hahahahaha. oh my god!

i was the one who originally tweeted it out to the world as well :blush:

thankfully donmack wasn't annoyed with me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3 Cheers for Donmack…… Banzai !………..Banzai !………….Banzai !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly

1- A diagnosis of GAD can NEVER lead to OP's acquittal

2- OP's version of events must first be believed by Masipa for the GAD to be relevant

ooooh. i got an "exactly" in bold from aj :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooooh. i got an "exactly" in bold from aj :D

:D It's just that with all the unfounded hysteria about OP's possible acquittal, it's nice to have another sensible voice of reason. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes! Nice one. Thanks :D
    *Goes off to scribble Koi Carp and guns.
    :o OP ideas for new tattoos so he fits right in,,, in Prison ? oh good move.
  • Options
    Bluebell WoodBluebell Wood Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    There is quite a bit of damage to various parts of the bedroom door including the hole like a bullet hole.
    Interesting that the air gun is photographed with the baseball bat in close proximity.

TThere's a very large crack in what appears to be the door, or a wood panel of a cupboard or something as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D It's just that with all the unfounded hysteria about OP's possible acquittal, it's nice to have another sensible voice of reason. ;-)

:D:D

there's no point anyone panicking about it. it's got nothing to do with any of us. at the moment, at least, it's in the hands of the psychiatric team. and then back to the judge. both the state and the defence team have stated they don't think oscar is mentally ill, so... but we'll just have to wait and see what happens
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oscar Pistorius has sold the Pretoria home where he shot dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day last year.

The house, in the gated Silver Woods Country Estate community in the east of the city, has been valued at 5 million rand (£287,000/$481,000/€354,000) and was put on sale in March as the South African struggles to cope with legal fees as his murder trial continues.

It has been reported his lawyers are costing the six-time Paralympic gold medallist 95,505 rand (£5,452/$9,121/€6,700) a day.

Estate agent Ansie Louw, who managed the sale of the house, said that "one of the offers has been accepted and a transfer process is underway".

Lawyer Brian Webber has confirmed an offer to buy the athlete's upscale villa in the Silver Woods Country Estate had been accepted, although he declined to identify either the buyer or the amount it was sold for, until the process is finalised.

They've still time to withdraw then - outside toilets to be installed ..........no doubt ! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he did! I did read that if he ends up in prison, he may not be able to have his prosthetic legs as they could be used as weapons.
    Wilkco wrote: »
    There is another possibility that Reeva was trying to defend herself sometime during the night and hit his legs with some object.

I honestly don't think anything is out of the question. If we consider the possibility there was a physical fight I would imagine it must have involved a struggle on the floor for her to have only left visible marks on his legs. He could easily hold her arms down or back with his upper body strength. Also not sure how easy it would be for Reeva to inflict that kind of damage to his prosthetic legs barefoot?

A struggle on the floor also tying in with the inside out jeans I guess too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TThere's a very large crack in what appears to be the door, or a wood panel of a cupboard or something as well.

And a baseball bat. I think he did a fair bit of whacking things on the evening. :o
This discussion has been closed.