Options

Filming in a public place

SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,837
Forum Member
Just wondering what others thought of this.. I was just watching a video on liveleak of a blogger who was filming in Manchester last week where Ripper Street was being filmed (you can see the actors in costume on a break in the street). He's stopped by someone claiming he's a police officer (on his T shirt it says 'royalty protection CO14') and tries to stop him filming saying it's illegal, and that he needs his permission to film even in a public area? And even if the production company were filming, which they weren't, surely you could still stand and film it yourself if it's a public place? He ends up getting shoved down the street!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c3a_1400795766

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie Veitch eh, I saw the video when he posted it and thought the real police officer was a bit of a prat due to charlies rep, He was blatantly portraying himself as a police officer and had no idea of actual laws to add to this.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    You know he is a billy bullshit merchant when he cant say what he would arrest him for and resorts to saying things like "at the end of the day"
    Fat goon.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    This sort of thing does annoy me. If you want to rent a bit of public space, fine, but you have to realise that that space is owned by the tax-paying public, and the laws of the land give them any right to watch and film as they wish. Just because you see it as a commercial risk if they do, that's really tough. If you want privacy, then use a private film stage.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    SteUK wrote: »
    Just wondering what others thought of this.. I was just watching a video on liveleak of a blogger who was filming in Manchester last week where Ripper Street was being filmed (you can see the actors in costume on a break in the street). He's stopped by someone claiming he's a police officer (on his T shirt it says 'royalty protection CO14') and tries to stop him filming saying it's illegal, and that he needs his permission to film even in a public area? And even if the production company were filming, which they weren't, surely you could still stand and film it yourself if it's a public place? He ends up getting shoved down the street!

I saw that video and I doubt that the man really was a police officer you are allowed to film anyone you like in a public place regardless of whether they consent because it stands to reason that in a public place you have no reasonable expectation of privacy and the only exception I think is terrorism legislation so filming a military base from a public area might not be allowed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    "I'm not allowed to vote!" :D

What an absolute prick.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unless it's a prescribed CLOSED OFF space, this little baldy git ain't got NO RIGHT to harrass anybody ..... FILMING OR NOT!!!
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    You are generally free to film or take photos in a public place.

However, impersonating a police officer is a serious offence.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »

Some coppers try to scare members of the public with digital cameras/camcorders into not filming, probably because the copper is embarrassed about being caught on film. The fact that the film company was film shows that the copper was probably talking a load of crap.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Some coppers try to scare members of the public with digital cameras/camcorders into not filming, probably because the copper is embarrassed about being caught on film. The fact that the film company was film shows that the copper was probably talking a load of crap.

Honestly I doubt it was a real police officer though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    There's always the danger that some drunken lout who shouldn't even be allowed to look at a shandy, might get paranoid and acusse you of filming them if they' appear amongst the crowd and of course ****ed up little shits who play thugball* (they lose) don't like having their exploits caught on camera unless they're doing it (how about one of them get uses as a football, cricketball and punch ball and the video being put on youtube?

*The rules:-
    1. get some young toerag who'se beaten up some pensioner, violated their ASBO several times and the courts won't touch him.
    2: Get the victim's friends, relatives and the victim and give them baseball bats, cricket bats, studded gloves and Doctor Marten boots.
    3. Give the 'don't hurt the poor, harmless, misunderstood mugger' do-gooders the best seats and put them in the pillories (Clockwork Orange style so they can't close their eyes or move their heads) so they're forced to watch
    4. Set th victim, their friends and relatives onto the toerag.
    5. The game ends when the Toerag's in a wheelchair for life, begging for their life, left in a blooded pulp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    I saw that video and I doubt that the man really was a police officer you are allowed to film anyone you like in a public place regardless of whether they consent because it stands to reason that in a public place you have no reasonable expectation of privacy and the only exception I think is terrorism legislation so filming a military base from a public area might not be allowed.

I think the so called 'copper' is a right lying git because a copper won't get aggressive with you as you're walking away. He's a right lying git. I knew he wasn't a copper when he couldn't even state what that particular law was even closely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    Honestly I doubt it was a real police officer though

I'm beginning to realise that now.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would love to know how PC Royal Protection was dealt with! I suspect he was simply 'given advice'

I mean FFS, what off duty police officer spends his rest days playing rentacop and wearing a tee shirt that basically says 'I'm a copper' on it! Only wannabes who want people to believe they're a copper do that.

What a dick that thug is!
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's absolutely no way he is a real police officer, he's just a rent-a-thug security guard.

I would be interesting to know if he got charged for impersonating a police officer, as a clearly stated he was on video.

I've seen several similar videos on Liveleak from this website: PINAC Photography is Not a Crime. It's US based, but I think their laws are pretty similar to ours, in that it's not illegal to film in a public place.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I mean FFS, what off duty police officer spends his rest days playing rentacop and wearing a tee shirt that basically says 'I'm a copper' on it! Only wannabes who want people to believe they're a copper do that.

If he actually is a copper, then he's probably one of those that has no friends outside of the force.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    If he actually is a copper, then he's probably one of those that has no friends outside of the force.

With his night stick/asp, quick cuffs and taser displayed on his living room wall :D:D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

He wasn't a copper. He was a private security guard trying to pass himself off as a police officer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »

Let's hope he gets charged. Can't stand thugs like that.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    The chap in the video is most definitely not a police officer, he just pretends to be one, badly. From what I have read elsewhere he is currently under investigation for assault and impersonating a police officer.

This particular line of his made me laugh, said in response to Veitch asking whether he was breaking any law:

"The law you're breaking at the moment, is a personal law, although it's a civil act, it makes no difference, it can well be put into a law yes."
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looked pretty obvious he was not really an Officer. However, Veitch has got himself a bit more publicity, which is what he does.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand the mans whiny voice, seriously why do so many of these 'social justice warriors sound like their testicles never descended?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    He wasn't a copper. He was a private security guard trying to pass himself off as a police officer.

Yes, I did realise that after I posted my comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope he gets charged. Can't stand thugs like that.

Yeah, he's a lying git. This will hopefully make him think twice before thinking he's big with someone else. Charlie knows the laws though and you could see the lying git getting edgy once he began to realise that he couldn't just scare him off with lies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand the mans whiny voice, seriously why do so many of these 'social justice warriors sound like their testicles never descended?

If you're talking about Charlie Veitch, I think his videos are great. I've watched quite a few of them. It's quite funny to see security people realising that they can't scare off a member of the public with lies, and that he actually knows the laws regarding filming in public places.