Options

Graham Norton Series 15 beginning 4 April 2014

Comments

• Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I think if anything's to be learned from tonight, the show's bookers need to remember that the bigger names don't always make the better guests.

Roll Miriam Margolyes back out, I say.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if anything's to be learned from tonight, the show's bookers need to remember that the bigger names don't always make the better guests.

Roll Miriam Margolyes back out, I say.

The big stars are doing the rounds promoting their films, of course that's who they're going to book.

The leads go on Norton and the supporting roles on Carr.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's become a pastiche of a chat show. Cramming famous people on the couch but it was just dull. Not a chat show per se, just....same old same old....not interesting. Shame, cos I admire the ability norton has to feign enthusiasm for all his guests.....and he's very funny......but with so many stars crammed onto one sofa dredging up the same old stories....nah. Not as fun this week.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason there were so many famous people on today was because there were so many big movies out this week, if Graham is still on during the world cup there won't be as many Hollywood names on as there are not many big films opening during the world cup, might get Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth to promote Devil's Knot though.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    STOP THE CELEBS PULLING THE RED CHAIR LEVER!!!! >:(

They keep on pulling it too soon and for their own ego effect imo! >:( I wanna hear the stories either in full or very close to full before Graham makes a decision whether or not to pull that lever!

If only!

I also wish Graham would do more of what he used to do, with funny phone calls, things on the internetz and so on. Although it's always been about promoting the latest film, music, show etc, it now seems even more so.

As for the show itself - Tom was okay though a bit quiet - probably tired, Emily was lively and entertaining, Charlize came across as a bit up herself, Seth was very funny, and Chris Martin sounded quite a bit off key to me, and the song sounded very much like one of their others. The star of the show was Kermit!
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    Rich Hall pays homage to Tom Cruise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should have been a great show, and it could have been too.
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many guests!
    Emily Blunt is beautiful and always great value on these shows. Given the chance!
    Could have done without Charlize, it meant Emily had little to do for half the show. No wonder she pulled the lever!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another week full of Americans pushing their films, boring. Is Emily Blunt British? she sounds it most of the time but keeps lapsing into an American twang, very annoying, why do British do it? Americans don't lapse into English.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Another week full of Americans pushing their films, boring. Is Emily Blunt British? she sounds it most of the time but keeps lapsing into an American twang, very annoying, why do British do it? Americans don't lapse into English.

Well Madonna had a pretty horrific British accent for a time when she was with Guy Ritchie!:D

It's a shame Emily Blunt was pushed out a bit by the big guests as she has been on chat shows before and been hugely entertaining and witty. She seemed a bit up Tom Cruise's backside for most of the time.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was tolerable until Coldsore came on with their latest tune-free, chugga-chug rhythm effort squeaked out by their lead "singer."
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    Well Madonna had a pretty horrific British accent for a time when she was with Guy Ritchie!:D

It's a shame Emily Blunt was pushed out a bit by the big guests as she has been on chat shows before and been hugely entertaining and witty. She seemed a bit up Tom Cruise's backside for most of the time.

Emily is a big star in her own right now and what could she do if the majority of her time Norton was talking to Cruise?

Emily deserved so much better. Waste of her time.
  • Options
    CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Too many guests!
    Emily Blunt is beautiful and always great value on these shows. Given the chance!
    Could have done without Charlize, it meant Emily had little to do for half the show. No wonder she pulled the lever!

The old formula worked best, 3 guests, 1 from each film and a UK comic/personality, joined at the end by the musical guest. Phone call/internet stupidity, jobs done. Think the success of the monument's men show with Murray/ Damon/ Bonneville means they're trying too hard to recreate it.

The Emily blunt fawning over tom was identical to the last time he was on with Rosamund Pike for the jack reacher movie tbh.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    The old formula worked best, 3 guests, 1 from each film and a UK comic/personality, joined at the end by the musical guest. Phone call/internet stupidity, jobs done. Think the success of the monument's men show with Murray/ Damon/ Bonneville means they're trying too hard to recreate it.

The Emily blunt fawning over tom was identical to the last time he was on with Rosamund Pike for the jack reacher movie tbh.

Yep, didn't like that one little bit.:(
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emily and Charlize...........ouch ! ! ! Look at that "couch distance" between them !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Just caught up on last night show and was amazing. Great guests, could have done without Charlze though, great music, great chat, really good show
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Emily and Charlize...........ouch ! ! ! Look at that "couch distance" between them !

What a bizarre thing to say....
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »

All I could think of during the interview -- can't take him or his weirdly smooth face seriously! And I can't stand Seth MacF or his stupid films either. The only thing he seems talented at is doing voices of other people's famous creations.

I feel like it'd have been a much more entertaining interview if they'd got rid of the ego-driven blokes and had Charlize and Emily having a chat with Graham.

I mean... you know it's a bad show when you begin to look forward to the musical act, and that musical act is Coldplay.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    I think the show could've done with Tom Cruise or Emily Blunt. They were pretty dull, and almost entirely forgotten about once Seth and Charlize came on stage. They probably would have been better dividing them between 2 shows, and just getting a British comedian to serve as the 3rd guest.

As I say, Seth MacFarlane was hugely entertaining, and that's what effectively saved the show. Wasn't getting much from Tom, Emily or Charlize, but maybe if their co-stars hadn't been on the show with them, they'd have been more talkative.

Looking forward to seeing Mark Ruffalo next week. Very good actor.
    It's become a pastiche of a chat show. Cramming famous people on the couch but it was just dull. Not a chat show per se, just....same old same old....not interesting. Shame, cos I admire the ability norton has to feign enthusiasm for all his guests.....and he's very funny......but with so many stars crammed onto one sofa dredging up the same old stories....nah. Not as fun this week.
    It is a gloified press junket these days.
    Pre-prepared anecdotes and plug the film. The lesser stars usually have more to say as they want to plug themselves.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    lombard wrote: »
    Who the hell listens to Coldplay?

You've got to love posters who think just because they don't like someone - everyone else is of the same opinion.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GN show has now become a Movie advert..
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that - first good laugh I've had all day!! :D
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brilliant! Thanks!:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lombard wrote: »
    Who the hell listens to Coldplay?

Just me and a few million others..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, didn't like that one little bit.:(

Tom Cruise, weirdo guy or not, is still one of the richest and most powerful men in the film industry. I think these actresses have a professional duty of care to make sure he is made to feel appreciated at all times unless they wish to be extras on Hollyoaks in the future.

The best Norton shows these days seem to have an unconventional line up like June Brown and Lady Gaga. When the A Listers are on and one of them is a Hollywood mainstay, you can guarantee it will be a hard sell joke free show. It seems McAvoy, Fassbender and Jackman all were game for a laugh but when he has guests like Tom Cruise, Mariah Carey, Will Smith or Madonna on you can pretty much guarantee they will steadfastly stick to the script where relentless praise and safe anecdotes are the standard.