Options

New ITV Channels Sky Exclusive?

ally8971ally8971 Posts: 421
Forum Member
Just saw an advert for ITV Encore saying it will start on June 6th on Sky channel 123.
No mention of Virgin.

Comments

• Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    correct - for a period of unannounced exclusivity.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No loss there then
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV Encore is a subscription channel Exclusive to Sky and will show the best of ITV Drama. It may be a bit like Pick tv ??
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East wrote: »
    ITV Encore is a subscription channel Exclusive to Sky and will show the best of ITV Drama. It may be a bit like Pick tv ??

Not a good example as Pick is where Sky show old stuff to anybody for no extra charge.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    From 2015 ITV Encore will premier some new drama as well, as that was mentioned when the new channel was announced.
    Ian.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member
    ally8971 wrote: »
    Just saw an advert for ITV Encore saying it will start on June 6th on Sky channel 123.
    No mention of Virgin.

ITV Encore starts on the 9th of June and not the 6th, only on Sky, like Sky Atlantic
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Wonderful.

So a new drama comes on itv. Lol you have to have sky.....

I personally am getting rather fed up of this exclusivity crap.

ITV's channels should be on all platforms. if they wanna go pay then bloody go pay, but stop messing around.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fail to the see the point of 'ITV Encore', let alone some pointless exclusivity clause.
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful.

So a new drama comes on itv. Lol you have to have sky.....

I personally am getting rather fed up of this exclusivity crap.

ITV's channels should be on all platforms. if they wanna go pay then bloody go pay, but stop messing around.
    I don't think you need worry...yet. In the first year, it will be all repeats from ITV. I believe I have read somewhere that the period of exclusivity is a year, and only after that will the original material start to be shown.

So as long as we get it then, it doesn't bother me. I don't think there are any old ITV dramas on that I fancy watching that I haven't already seen.
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Not a good example as Pick is where Sky show old stuff to anybody for no extra charge.
    I think it will be a bit like Pick TV for the first year, except that it is a subscription channel.
  • Options
    knight timeknight time Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Some of the posts on these forums amaze me by their lack of business sense,.
    On reading you might imagine that some think Sky should behave as if they are an ally of Virgin.
    Take Encore starting in June this is a subscription channel arranged between the two companies and as such will hardly be readily available to Virgin as Sky wish to use this as a possible lever to entice people to switch to their service.

Is this not business sense on sky's part?
    Personally we have enough channels on virgin already in itv 3 and drama channel ,in my humble opinion. I will stay with virgin every time as at least many HD channels are offered at no extra cost unlike Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of the posts on these forums amaze me by their lack of business sense,.
    On reading you might imagine that some think Sky should behave as if they are an ally of Virgin.
    Take Encore starting in June this is a subscription channel arranged between the two companies and as such will hardly be readily available to Virgin as Sky wish to use this as a possible lever to entice people to switch to their service.

Is this not business sense on sky's part?
    Personally we have enough channels on virgin already in itv 3 and drama channel ,in my humble opinion. I will stay with virgin every time as at least many HD channels are offered at no extra cost unlike Sky.

You wont be saying that when the next downton abbey is on Encore as an exclusive.....

at the moment its classics, but it does state 'upcoming drama'
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD channels are an extra cost on Virgin, you have to subscribe to the top package, just like with Sky.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    Sky has ITV Encore exclusive for 18 months.
    Ian.
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    HD channels are an extra cost on Virgin, you have to subscribe to the top package, just like with Sky.

Not true on either count. There are FTV/FTA HD channels available on Sky platform regardless of package taken. If you want subscription HD channels you pay a flat rate with Sky.

With virgin, there are HD channels included in every single tv package that they sell/offer. Even the 'M' package includes HD channels (similar to Sky, these are generally considered FTV/FTA channels).

You get extra HD channels on M+ and then more on L and even more on XL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wont be saying that when the next downton abbey is on Encore as an exclusive.....

Do you really think they will move Downton to ITV Encore? I don't.

The most I can see is it being shown a week before ITV (1) but I'd be surprised by that tbh. If they do anything like that with Downton they risk a massive upset. There are far more non-Sky subscribers out there than there are Sky subscribers.

The most I think they'd offer if they go down that route would be a 'first look' approach where you watch episode 1 on ITV and then they show episode 2 straight after on Encore meaning that non Sky subscribers will have to wait till the next week for episode 2. If that's the case, no biggie there either.

Plus watch the illegal streaming of the show jump through the roof.

It'd be counter productive in many ways IMO.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    War On wrote: »
    Not true on either count. There are FTV/FTA HD channels available on Sky platform regardless of package taken. If you want subscription HD channels you pay a flat rate with Sky.

With virgin, there are HD channels included in every single tv package that they sell/offer. Even the 'M' package includes HD channels (similar to Sky, these are generally considered FTV/FTA channels).

M+ & L offer the same. It's two more channels than SKY and those are Channel 5 & Film4. Everything else is in the XL package. Also like Sky with Virgin if you want the subscription HD channels you have to have the top package, just like Sky.

But then again in Sky's basic package you also get Sky Atlantic, and soon ITV Encore but not in HD, then again VM don't get either in any definition. In addition to that I have quite often had free Sky Sports & Sky Movies as an offer, again something I believe VM customers don't get offered.

Don't get me wrong I am not bashing VM, as I would like to have VM myself as an all in one package, but at the moment Sky just offers that little bit better value for me, with the offers for Sports & Movies, as well as Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incorrect. The Sky package which contains the HD channels is the same price as XL. You only get Film4 HD and Channel 5 HD extra on the lower packs that aren't FTA (there's no FTV HD channels)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you really think they will move Downton to ITV Encore? I don't.

The most I can see is it being shown a week before ITV (1) but I'd be surprised by that tbh. If they do anything like that with Downton they risk a massive upset. There are far more non-Sky subscribers out there than there are Sky subscribers.

The most I think they'd offer if they go down that route would be a 'first look' approach where you watch episode 1 on ITV and then they show episode 2 straight after on Encore meaning that non Sky subscribers will have to wait till the next week for episode 2. If that's the case, no biggie there either.

Plus watch the illegal streaming of the show jump through the roof.

It'd be counter productive in many ways IMO.

that was just an example

I can see them doing it with a lesser drama though. Almost same model as Sky Atlantic in a way.

you got itv3 for old dramas so why would you need Encore as well? to me it's like a premium itv 1.

Obviously the popular stuff stays on ITV1, but I can see slightly lesser content on Encore. Even perhaps run 'early' than ITV 1 in some cases.

I still think channel exclusivity is wrong though.

I am all for multiple channels sharing content like sky sports / bt sport. but one platform one channel.

If there was such a drama on Encore I wanted to watch 'live'. then at present I am stuffed. I hope Now TV carries it then perhaps I stand a chance of watching it.

I have solved my problem with Atlantic as I got a humax youview box now. This offers me Sky Store and Atlantic....
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was just an example

I can see them doing it with a lesser drama though. Almost same model as Sky Atlantic in a way.

you got itv3 for old dramas so why would you need Encore as well? to me it's like a premium itv 1.

Obviously the popular stuff stays on ITV1, but I can see slightly lesser content on Encore. Even perhaps run 'early' than ITV 1 in some cases.

I still think channel exclusivity is wrong though.

I am all for multiple channels sharing content like sky sports / bt sport. but one platform one channel.

If there was such a drama on Encore I wanted to watch 'live'. then at present I am stuffed. I hope Now TV carries it then perhaps I stand a chance of watching it.

I have solved my problem with Atlantic as I got a humax youview box now. This offers me Sky Store and Atlantic....

Not at the moment it doesn't , the YouView box offers Sky Store and Now TV (Movies pass) it currently doesn't offer the entertainment pass however I believe this is on the future roadmap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [/B]
    Not at the moment it doesn't , the YouView box offers Sky Store and Now TV (Movies pass) it currently doesn't offer the entertainment pass however I believe this is on the future roadmap.

Bugger, really?

I guess I have to stick with my nowtv box.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Incorrect. The Sky package which contains the HD channels is the same price as XL. You only get Film4 HD and Channel 5 HD extra on the lower packs that aren't FTA (there's no FTV HD channels)

What extra channels are included in the Family Pack that are not in the Variety pack (excluding HD variants and Sky 3D)?

Sky still refer to their HD package: http://discoversky.sky.com/hdvalue/

Both the Variety and Family packs state they include over 80 subscription channels but the Family also include over 50 HD channels.

If the only difference is the HD variants for linear channels (+3D), then to me, the only difference in price is for the HD package so unless I'm missing something about a load of extra linear channels that are included, I don't think I'm incorrect at all sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    M+ & L offer the same. It's two more channels than SKY and those are Channel 5 & Film4. Everything else is in the XL package. Also like Sky with Virgin if you want the subscription HD channels you have to have the top package, just like Sky.

Virgin have tweaked the packages recently so my info was slightly outdated sorry. To clarify, TV M and More TV come with 10 HD channels (one of which is subscription only - 5 HD). TV M+ and TV L both come with 11 HD channels (two of which are subscription channels - 5 HD and Flim4 HD).

So far that's 4 TV packages that ARE NOT the top package that DO include subscription HD channels. So you don't have to have the top package like you state (albeit only one or two channels).

If you want all of the HD channels (Incl. BT Sports 1 & 2 in HD and ESPN HD), then you need the top package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was just an example....

OK call it an example now if you want but when you write, "you won't be saying that when downtown abbey is on Itv Encore as an Exclusive", I was left thinking that was a statement of your opinion, not an example :confused:

No harm though of course :D

On the rest of your post re exclusivity etc, I tend to agree but it's inevitable. Companies are always looking for USP's and both Virgin and Sky have many of them.
  • Options
    Auld ReekieAuld Reekie Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    A subscription channel for repeats.
    What a brilliant idea.
    Must cancel VM and join Sky.