Options

When actors change to someone else during a scene?

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember the famous one where the female walks into the caravan in home and away and in the next scene she walks out as a completely different actress.

any others in other tv shows?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When Derek in Derek turns into Ricky Gervais
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a show on BBC Three that Robert Webb narrated called Great Movie Mistakes. Things like this were highlighted, but obviously it was for film rather than TV shows. There were about three episodes, I will have to try and watch them again and see if I can find something similar to discussed request.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Dr Who is the most obvious one

Two different actresses played the part of the same wife in Goodnight Sweetheart

Several actresses have played Lucy Beale in EE but Ian has never noticed
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Two different actresses played the part of the same wife in Goodnight Sweetheart

Both of Garys wives were replaced by different actresses halfway through.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but in Dr Who there's a reason for the change in actor
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Yeah but in Dr Who there's a reason for the change in actor

Yes, but surely that applies in all the cases. In Dr Who Bill Hartnell was ill, the series being so successful the BBC kept extending it and he didn't want to continue so Terry Nation devised the idea of the doctor having several lives and he regenerated into Patrick Troughton.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dr Who doesn't really count as that is essentially a character change and recasting are common in all types of shows . What the OP means is when a character is recast without a break sometimes in the same episode. I remember watching a documentary about american daytime soaps, they described an instance where an actress was fired and immediately recast, they did not have the budget to do reshoots and because scenes were shot out of sequence for a couple of weeks the actress changed from scene to scene.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giles in Brush Strokes, after going into the church for Jackos wedding that never was, he walked back out as a completely different actor :D

To be fair though, it was the next episode where they all came out of the church.

It must have been some fishing trip for Jackos brother as well, as when he went away, he was Burnside from The Bill, when he came back, he was Mike from The Nags Head, OFAH :D

Lionels daughter Lesley sprouted a new head as well :p
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippa_Ross

I did not watch Home & Away but had relatives staying who did, when the character of Pippa changed overnight from one episode to the next, with no explanation.

I seem to recall that one actress's Pippa was fighting for compensation for her husband's death, then the other actress's Pippa got the cheque in the post

In the sitcom "Game On", Ben Chaplin left after one series to go to Hollywood, and was replaced by Neil Stuke, which the cast commented on when watching "Roseanne" by asking which actress was playing Becky this week, and wasn't it weird.

Similarly in Roseanne when Sarah Chalke took over the role of Becky - the family sat down to watch Bewitched on TV, wondering "which Darrin" it was going to be this week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Lisa Mullins in Prisoner Cell Block H put her head in the sink to dye her hair and emerged a completely different actress seconds later.
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Ellie in the original Dallas. Started off as Barbara Bel Geddes, then turned into Donna Reed and then turned back into Barbara Bel Geddes.

As Patrick Duffy said it wasn't a case of "Where's Mama, but who's Mama?"
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Lots of people misunderstanding the OP, here.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    When Derek in Derek turns into Ricky Gervais

Haha yeah I have thought this once or twice. "Wait has he forgotten he's playing Derek in this scene?"

Still love the show though.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but surely that applies in all the cases. In Dr Who Bill Hartnell was ill, the series being so successful the BBC kept extending it and he didn't want to continue so Terry Nation devised the idea of the doctor having several lives and he regenerated into Patrick Troughton.
    Sorry to be a pedant, but Terry Nation did not come up with the idea of regenerating the lead actor. Terry was just an occasional hired writer for the series, he was never a regular part of the production team and he had no involvement in devising the format. In fact he wasn't even working on Doctor Who at the time Hartnell changed into Troughton.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    There was a show on BBC Three that Robert Webb narrated called Great Movie Mistakes. Things like this were highlighted, but obviously it was for film rather than TV shows. There were about three episodes, I will have to try and watch them again and see if I can find something similar to discussed request.

There was one edition called Great TV Mistakes.. BBC3 sometimes show 10 minute segments of it as a filler.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0120t1k/great-tv-mistakes-cutdowns-episode-8
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    I was confused during the episode of Blue Peter when Peter Purves morphed from one off swimming expert to regular presenter.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Libby in Neighbours?

Dunno how they changed from Kim Valentine to Michelle Banas, while Kim was ill, but they changed back I believe by half drowning Michelle & being rescued as Kim!

(isn't there a spoof You Tube video?)
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Dynasty - Amanda Carrington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Carrington

Was recast suddenly with an American blonde replacing Catherine Oxenberg - including reshooting a fight in a swimming pool with heather Locklear.

Basically to me (a non regular viewer) it looked like she fell into the pool with heather Locklear as an upper class British Blonde, and came out as a blonde American waitress, with no explanation of her new accent either .
  • Options
    captainhaddockcaptainhaddock Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Does this count as a change? - Bill Bixby changed into Lou ferrigno every week in the incredible hulk :D
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Emmanuelle 4 Sylvia Kristel goes in for plastic surgery and comes out as Mia Nygren.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most if not all soap kids, are replaced at the drop of a hat, or after coming back from holiday, but TBH its never really been a problem, few soap characters are defined until they become teenagers, and even after that a recast an be successful eg Lauren Branning.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always amused me when Victoria in Emmerdale was recast.

She had just gone through the story line where Robert & Katie were having an affair & she'd been frightened into keeping quiet, struck dumb in fact.

When the story line was resolved, she was shipped off to Annie in Spain & came back as the current gobby version!
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    23 replies and still only a couple of people seem to understand the OP
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    23 replies and still only a couple of people seem to understand the OP

Quite, then again I cant imagine there are that many examples out there of characters having a change in actor/actress partway through an episode.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a movie called Plan 9 From Outer Space, which is widely regarded as the worst movie ever made. If you ever get the chance to see it you must. It is so bad it is brilliant, its obtained cult status.

Anyway, it was Bela Lugosi's last movie and he died halfway through it. The director replaced him with his wife's chiropractor who was about a foot taller and looked absolutely nothing like him.