Options

Bl**dy foreigner

Comments

• Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Shes Belgian , but apparently asking why was outrageous:blush: she didn't explain that in OP.

DS users are never going to pass up on the chance to get on their high horses and show how amazingly tolerant they are by shouting down someone for asking a reasonable question ;-)
  • Options
    vivelamourvivelamour Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    The OP says she's always found the English friendly and even has an English husband yet lets one old bat tarnish her view? Seems silly.

My views haven't been tarnished. I was just asking of there is a trend of intolerance. Not saying there is or isn't just asking.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Tubtui wrote: »
    I think this "French people are rude" stereotype is only popular in the UK, or maybe Anglosphere. I only know such a stereotype exists because of this forum.

I worked for a French company for 15 years until August, which involved a lot of travelling to France. I never encountered French people being anything other than polite.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody Foreigner. Coming over here, wanting to know what love is. >:(
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

I want Hugh to show me.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vivelamour wrote: »
    My views haven't been tarnished. I was just asking of there is a trend of intolerance. Not saying there is or isn't just asking.

Personally, I would put it down to a general feeling of thinking that anyone heard speaking a foreign language is just here to claim benefits and generally scrounge off our creaking system.

Some years ago I would hear someone speaking a foreign language and just thought "how exotic!", but now I just wonder if I should offer directions to the dole office.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All Cold As Ice as well :mad:
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    There are rude people of every nationality.

True enough but this is about being specifically rude about / to foreigners.

That lady should spare a thought for all the French in the Dordogne / Brittany / Midi Pyrenees / Provence etc. who - like it or not - live side by side by thousands of ex-pat Brits.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would put it down to a general feeling of thinking that anyone heard speaking a foreign language is just here to claim benefits and generally scrounge off our creaking system.
    I don't think there's anything general about that feeling.

Of course I could be wrong which would help answer the OP's question.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, the woman is right..
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tubtui wrote: »
    I think this "French people are rude" stereotype is only popular in the UK, or maybe Anglosphere. I only know such a stereotype exists because of this forum.

I think it's one of those things that people believe the more they say it, the more true it is, without ever actually experiencing it.

I've been to France many times, including Paris, and never encountered rudeness of any kind.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just came back from a long weekend in the UK.

On Friday I was looking around a shop with my 10 year old son and we were talking to each other in french when all of a sudden we hear a voice saying very loudly :"Bl**dy foreigners" !!!>:o

We turned around and saw this "lady" who was at least 70. I don' t know why she felt it necessary to talk to us like this but my son was really upset and frankly so was I.

I have never ever experienced something like this in the UK. Are people in the UK getting more intolerant ?

I had a very similar experience from a French chap with his two children in a queue at Eurodisney several years ago, I think he was quite shocked when I turned round to face him and suggested in French that it wasn't a very nice thing to say in front of his children. There are arses everywhere. :D
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just came back from a long weekend in the UK.

On Friday I was looking around a shop with my 10 year old son and we were talking to each other in french when all of a sudden we hear a voice saying very loudly :"Bl**dy foreigners" !!!>:o

We turned around and saw this "lady" who was at least 70. I don' t know why she felt it necessary to talk to us like this but my son was really upset and frankly so was I.

I have never ever experienced something like this in the UK. Are people in the UK getting more intolerant ?

We lived in France for seven years and we got the same treatment from the French at times, believe me. What is more, the French assume because you speak English then you are English...I'm Australian. I have lost count of how many times I said "Je ne suis pas anglais!". My 16 year old son was refused enrolment in College because his French language skills were not great at the time...when I lodged a complaint to the Directeur at the regional Inspection Académique I was told - and I quote in English - "Why did you come to France then if he cannot speak French?"

Imagine saying that to foreigners here and getting away with it....^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    We lived in France for seven years and we got the same treatment from the French at times, believe me. What is more, the French assume because you speak English then you are English...I'm Australian. I have lost count of how many times I said "Je ne suis pas anglais!". My 16 year old son was refused enrolment in College because his French language skills were not great at the time...when I lodged a complaint to the Directeur at the regional Inspection Académique I was told - and I quote in English - "Why did you come to France then if he cannot speak French?"

Imagine saying that to foreigners here and getting away with it....^_^
    The OP didn't settle here, but merely came for a weekend visit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ I'd agree with this (two posts above). The French are in love with the sound of their own language. (Which is fair enough imo)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I want Hugh to show me.

I will, provided you're Hot Blooded.
    All Cold As Ice as well :mad:

It's probably because they're a Long, Long Way From Home.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    ^^ I'd agree with this (two posts above). The French are in love with the sound of their own language. (Which is fair enough imo)

They are obsessed with keeping Anglo Saxon words out of everyday usage. They are indeed very passionate about their language and I don't have a problem with that. :)
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never encountered rudeness in France.

I went to Sweden once and I do not know why but I was genuinely shocked at how rude, unfriendly and unhelpful the Swedes I met were.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Much like the French then.
    Yep.

I find the French fairly rude to non French people, and listening to some of their politicians and their supporters, just as racist as Brits.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I went to Sweden once and I do not know why but I was genuinely shocked at how rude, unfriendly and unhelpful the Swedes I met were.

You'd be like that if you had to go to IKEA every day in your Volvo listening to Abba.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to rural France many times and I found the people there to be delightful, as others have said Paris is a completely different story. People are so ignorant, especially on the metro, don't seem to understand the concept of queuing.

But it was one old person in a shop, Paris is an entire city of rudeness!
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have been to France countless times and have been called the equivalent by some old French guy and have dealt with one or two rude people over there on several occasions. Every country has idiots. Outside of Paris though they generally seem pretty friendly.

The problem with France now is It's got so expensive and the food is really so average and disappointing considering the supposed reputation that you need to get a small mortgage to eat out at somewhere decent there now.

Went to Belgium at the weekend and had a great time around the Flanders area. Seemed to have better food and beer at a much more reasonable cost than France. Even got a complimentary round of drinks from a pub in the middle of nowhere where they probably never see tourists

I've been to Copenhagen in Scandinavia and to be honest all I can really remember is how bitterly cold it was there.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    The OP didn't settle here, but merely came for a weekend visit.

That's irrelevant. The point is rudeness to foreigners exists beyond the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    That's irrelevant. The point is rudeness to foreigners exists beyond the UK.
    If you read the thread, you'll see that it's not irrelevant at all.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I've been to rural France many times and I found the people there to be delightful, as others have said Paris is a completely different story. People are so ignorant, especially on the metro, don't seem to understand the concept of queuing.

But it was one old person in a shop, Paris is an entire city of rudeness!

It's typical of capital cities around the world though, isn't it? I was in South Korea in April and the kindness and friendliness I received travelling around some of the smaller cities was markedly different than that encountered in Seoul. That's not to say Seoulites were unfriendly, just that they were not as accommodating or warm to foreigners as their compatriots in other cities.