Continuum Season 3 - Canadian Pace *No Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    So who's the daddy:D? Jason seems to be about the right age :o

Jason is already revealed to be Alec son. There's been no chemistry between Keira and Alec to suggest that Jason is Keira's son. And Keira's son would have been old enough (wasn't he 8 or so) to remember his mother, he was definitely ambulant and sentient.

Greg being another son of Alec does seem more likely.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    I don't think I would agree that dystopian Sci-Fi is anti Sci-Fi.
    No, I'm not saying that Continuum is anti Science Fiction (i.e. against the genre), but that the science, like the concept of who's good and who's "bad" that the show portrays is not as it first appears.
    The shows seems to be more of a warning of what happens when there's too much science in the wrong hands and too little control, than it is a celebration of the benefits that science and technology can bring to us.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Greg is to be anyone significant (other than just Keira's husband) can I pitch in with him being Escher? Obviously Escher would've needed some facial surgery first though...

Quite enjoyed this weeks episode, - the Corporate Congress isn't very subtle though, is it? Kagame sends them a massive "Here I am, come and wipe me out" so they do just that. No thought as to why he's been so obvious about it or that once they've zapped the gleaners they'll have no chance to confirm he was actually killed.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    OK, looks like somebody messed up. Continuum is airing as normal tonight, and next Sunday, and Sunday after that........
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh... I was not expecting Betty to die!
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Saw it coming when she asked to meet the guy alone :( At least Keira and Carlos starting coming around to her way of thinking before she died. Just a shame she won't be a part of their team now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think that Dillon has gone fully bad, or just "a little corrupt"?

It seemed rather convenient that Betty had her anklet removed only to then be the target of a hit.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Anyone think that Dillon has gone fully bad, or just "a little corrupt"?.

Like the mayoral candidate, he's been corrupted. I don't think he's fully evil, just a bit too ready to put on the rose tinted glasses and not think through the consequences of getting into bed with big business.
    Is Betty properly dead? She got a shoulder hit first - though the second shot did seem rather fatal:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's definitely dead - the next episode (not on until the week after next) is called "Minute of Silence".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Is Betty properly dead? She got a shoulder hit first - though the second shot did seem rather fatal:(
    Well, in war (Iraq) being shot has a 20% "lethality" rate. it's only on TV that anyone who gets shot dies instantly.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think the man is Kiera's son?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »

The idea hadn't occurred to me till you suggest it.

It all depends on what is happening in the alternative future timeline.

Things have changed so much this season I am still not sure what is going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think we are still seeing things from her memory perspective, so where the timeline is what it was before.

I think he's her son because her name was the only thing in his mind and she said she trusts him for some reason. All I can think of is that she trusts him because he's her grown up son, maybe he was thrown back in time to help or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I almost thought he was the doctor from the flashforward due to the beards and similar look of the actors - which of course made no sense plotwise but just added to the general confusion of continuum, I think the show is spiralling out of control.

Whether they have an arc or are MIUATGA it's an unholy mess right now. I spent most of Episode 8 trying to remember where original Alec is having spent most of the previous four episodes prior to the full flashforward episode trying to work out which Alec was which (and I think the lack of visibility of his scar was the main problem, I suspect if I watched back it would have been forgotten in some scenes by make up).

They really need to clean up a few things right now.

1. Are the new type of flashfowards still original Keira memories or are they adaptive memories due to the time shift.
    2. What is Keira's goal now/ Still get back to her son? Does she even want to change things back any more?
    3. What is going on with Julian/Theseus, it's like they keep forgetting the importance of the plot then remembering they haven't used it in x episodes it and shoehorn it back in
    4. Have they really written Emily out just by having her take a bus? Seriously? After screwing the entire show by introducing a timeshift and all its consequences just to bring her back.

Not as desperate a need for answers but annoying me now is why they've decided to say NSA instead of CSIS which they've used previously. It's a Canadian show where Vancouver is named, stick with Canadian agencies.

I think Dillon as bad guy is clear now. Although I'm not sure how consistent that is.
    It also seems to be clear that timeshift Alec over original Alec has been the wrong choice by Keira.

Ugh, I love so many aspects of this show, I stick chuckle the first time Sonmanto is mentioned in an episode But it is very frustrating and I really don't recall ever being confused over the plot of a scripted television series in this way.
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I almost thought he was the doctor from the flashforward due to the beards and similar look of the actors - which of course made no sense plotwise but just added to the general confusion of continuum, I think the show is spiralling out of control.

Ugh, I love so many aspects of this show, I stick chuckle the first time Sonmanto is mentioned in an episode But it is very frustrating and I really don't recall ever being confused over the plot of a scripted television series in this way.

I thought it was the guy from Flashforward too, had to look it up on imdb! Sonmanto is funny, makes me laugh too. I spent most of this episode wondering what the heck was going on, I never get confused by tv or films but this really has me stumped, the future Keira came from has changed so much since season 1. Intrigued to think the John Doe could be her son, possibly a little weird though as it seemed to me they were flirting?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I never even suspected that.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with time travel shows, they're surely inconsistent. Does the Kiera we now know even have a Son? If the future has changed so much (which it has) would she have been in that room with Liber8 when they ventured back in time? Hell, would Liber8 have even come back in time if the future is different? My head is about to explode!!!
    I think we are still seeing things from her memory perspective, so where the timeline is what it was before.
    Are you sure? Cause there are distinct differences between the future we saw in Seasons 1 & 2 to the one we've seen in Season 3.
    I think he's her son because her name was the only thing in his mind and she said she trusts him for some reason. All I can think of is that she trusts him because he's her grown up son, maybe he was thrown back in time to help or something.
    That's basis for a good conclusion, but maybe too obvious? Wouldn't it be strange though that they're flirting? Surely the writers would just leave that out if they're related?

I doubt he was thrown back in time to help, from what I got from the episode, there was a place (in the future) where you could go to have your citizenship removed so you'd be free (of sorts), it's likely he was one of them, thus there not being any record of him in any database (inc the one in Kiera's head).
    I agree with everything said here (especially that I thought the doctor was the same person). :p

You're right with the latter too ... I notice Revolution was cancelled because of inconsistent plots, and if the writers don't start joining the dots with Continuum I can see it taking the same fate; cancellation.
    1. Are the new type of flashfowards still original Keira memories or are they adaptive memories due to the time shift.
    2. What is Keira's goal now/ Still get back to her son? Does she even want to change things back any more?
    This is what's mostly confusing me at the moment, early seasons it was pretty much Kiera wanting to get back to her son - when was the last time he was mentioned? It's like she's forgotten...
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the flash forwards this season appear to show a different world which does suggest that the future has been changed/ we are in a different timeline. The preview for next week had amnesia man asking who is Alec Sadler!! I am wondering whether the original Kiera is the dead one, which could explain the difference in the flash forwards.

Its difficult to compare this show with others as Continuum is very sci-fi and actually quite daring in its story of the big bad corporations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    All the flash forwards this season appear to show a different world which does suggest that the future has been changed/ we are in a different timeline. The preview for next week had amnesia man asking who is Alec Sadler!! I am wondering whether the original Kiera is the dead one, which could explain the difference in the flash forwards.

Except timeshift Keira is identical to original Keira up to the moment of the timeshift. So she had the exact same memories and motivations as original Keira up until that point. Her prior flashforwards would have been identical.

I do agree that it is a different world in flashforward now but the show needs to actually exposition this, it is quite a signficant problem (amongst many others).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    Its difficult to compare this show with others as Continuum is very sci-fi and actually quite daring in its story of the big bad corporations.
    Yes. I'm surprised that Monsanto's lawyers haven't been in touch :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think they are showing the darker memories from Keira to go along with the darker tone of the world now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First mention for a long time of Sam this week which helped connect this Keira back to the original, for me at least. Was anyone else able to catch what happened on the clip Alec played, John Doe (Brent/Brett?) firing a gun, was that footage taken from original Keira's implant, ie he was shooting at Keira? And wherever this guy came from, Kellogg was a bigger name than Sadler, this time line's definitely gone off the rails!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First mention for a long time of Sam this week which helped connect this Keira back to the original, for me at least. Was anyone else able to catch what happened on the clip Alec played, John Doe (Brent/Brett?) firing a gun, was that footage taken from original Keira's implant, ie he was shooting at Keira? And wherever this guy came from, Kellogg was a bigger name than Sadler, this time line's definitely gone off the rails!
    It seems we've got a whole bunch of people appearing from a whole bunch of futures now. I can't think what sense there would be for John Doe's character to kill Keira though (I believe that was what was being implemented) - though it further begs the question of why that Asian dude was involved.

Clusterfcuk!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    It seems we've got a whole bunch of people appearing from a whole bunch of futures now. I can't think what sense there would be for John Doe's character to kill Keira though (I believe that was what was being implemented) - though it further begs the question of why that Asian dude was involved.

Clusterfcuk!

After taking the Flash he said something about having watched his family die, my first thought was they were maybe killed in a police raid and he somehow felt it was Keira's fault, wouldn't explain how he got back in time though, it'd need to be more than revenge for him to get access to that technology I'd imagine. Looking forward to how this unfolds. Dillon's daughter, too, is she starting to empathise with Liber8?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After taking the Flash he said something about having watched his family die, my first thought was they were maybe killed in a police raid and he somehow felt it was Keira's fault, wouldn't explain how he got back in time though, it'd need to be more than revenge for him to get access to that technology I'd imagine. Looking forward to how this unfolds.
    He also claimed the city was dark or something too? Obviously a totally different future. Why would Keira be alive in that future? I read this as the writers merely tossing another coin in the pond cause they need new content over the old.
    Dillon's daughter, too, is she starting to empathise with Liber8?
    I think she is, yeah, though I'm fully expecting her throat to be slit before long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the first episode this entire series that has actually made any logical sense.

Clearly John Doe's mission is to wipe out all the time travellers whose influence leads to the dystopian society he is from where "the city is dark" and presumable humanity is near extinction from war or disease or both.

One can also read that he is charged with destroying all the technology - hence the one way mission. Initially I wondered if the one way aspect would be because he would Paradox himself out of existence, however as Keira and Jason clearly still exist (one from timeshift one from original timelines) Paradoxing oneself out of existence isn't a "Physical Law" for the series.

This could have two outcomes, of course when you have no Paradoxing then you have to believe you are moving from a Multiverse to a Linear Universe which would be an interesting aspect. But it is not one that would tie up Keira's apparently different flashforwards which focus on a war never previously seen suggest this is the trigger for John Doe's future. Of course will depend on the "who's Alec Sadler" being an effect of the Amnesia and not part of his mission. However, as it allows potential answers to be found instead of the cluster**** we were in before this episode, I'm less concerned now.

They really have two ways to write themselves out the current confusion.

Either they make it clear we are in a Linear Universe, where Paradoxing can't happen, and explain the Flashforwards as consistent with S1 and S2. Or they can have a multiverse which does not have Paradoxing, less satisfying but fits in with the Flashforward shift. Both are slightly Deus Ex Machina but far more coherent than anything before in Season 3

Clearly this still doesn't answer all the questions, things like Dillon's motivations are still unclear but that's more acceptable for a protagonist. We also likely need Keira (probably with the assistance of the Freelancers) to come to an acceptance that her son is effectively gone (which means they've lied to her all along).